Author Topic: Metro 2033: Updated into Metro Redux for 2014  (Read 14032 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Metro 2033 - Update: Ranger Pack DLC announced (Reply 38)
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, July 07, 2010, 03:16:07 PM »
I picked up the THQ pack on Steam during the summer sale for $50 and Metro 2033 was in the pack. I was hoping it would allow me to gift any duplicates (primarily Dawn of War 2) but no luck there, shame
Does Steam have on their website a list of games in which if you buy actually do buy a duplicate, it automatically becomes a gift?

I remember this happened w/ HL2 + Episode 1, since I already owned them...and then bought The Orange Box.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Re: Metro 2033 - Update: Ranger Pack DLC announced (Reply 38)
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, July 07, 2010, 07:39:01 PM »
I'm playing world of goo...

I hate the fucking tower of goo! I can't complete this level! It's starting to drive me nuts.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Metro 2033
« Reply #42 on: Friday, November 12, 2010, 01:09:39 PM »
haha what Scary?

Anyway...

I picked up the THQ pack on Steam during the summer sale for $50 and Metro 2033 was in the pack. I was hoping it would allow me to gift any duplicates (primarily Dawn of War 2) but no luck there, shame.

Anyway, finally played 2033 and I really like it so far! It's very atmospheric! Actually, it's what I was expecting when I first played STALKER.

From a technical point, framerate performance is so-so and the config options are very limited. You're pretty much stuck with the presets: low, medium, high, very high (each displays which options are being changed but you can't manually adjust any of them).

The game is very peculiar about all the little gadgets you have to use (gas mask, flashlight & battery charger, etc.). I'm starting to get the hang of it but I do feel one thing it's really missing a melee attack that doesn't require switching weapons.

$50 might be a bit much considering some of the minor bugs and performance issues but if you picked up during the sale for a mere $25 it is totally worth it. It's not perfect but it is a great immersive experience.

So I got the game and decided to give it a whirl with my new GTX 460.

I am so tempted to start the game on the hardest, most hardcore setting, but probably not.

So Xessive covered a few of the things I was going to mention.

The game is limited to settings presets, so you can't tune and tweak -- disappointingly.

The game looks really gorgeous though. Well, some of it does. The game starts you underground for a few seconds as you work your way up, and until then, the game looks excellent, but it looks super sexy when you are top side. The lighting and shading effects are just beautiful.

Unfortunately, the game suffers from performance problems on the highest setting. The other issue is that I am playing on a full HD monitor, so that's making it worse for the performance.

Anyway, I second what Xessive said, that the game is very atmospheric. If you have the rig to run this baby, then you are in for a treat.

I am surprised that Pyro and W7Re haven't contributed more to this thread, considering how excited they were initially. I was pretty skeptical when I first saw it, but the game isn't bad. I got it for $17 on the Steam sale, and it is worth it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #43 on: Friday, November 12, 2010, 02:21:44 PM »
So I've been playing more of this, and I am wondering if I am playing the same game that IGN and Gamespot gave such poor scores to. Maybe it is because I am playing a patched version, but I haven't encountered anything frustrating. The performance isn't so bad, and I am playing at max settings.

Anyway, the game is very impressive so far. It is so immersive, and the set pieces are really sweet so far.

The game is just dripping with atmosphere. The art direction is so unique, and paints a bleak world perfectly. As I said before, the lighting is just stellar. The monsters look plain, but somehow don't feel generic. I love the economics of the game, with the scarce ammo and everything. It feels like a bettered version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

But the best part of the game is the actual story telling. It has been perfect in all aspects so far. I love the dialog, which definitely feels like it is out of the pages of a decent book rather than the mind of a typical game developer. The voice acting is also top notch, it has to be said. The cast is all Russian, and has been excellent.

As I said, the bleak world has been painted perfectly. As you travel throw this post apocalyptic world, you really feel like you are there. In most games, you have to suspend disbelief when dealing with the confines of a limited game universe. Here, it is easier to believe, because your character is boxed in with the rest of what is left of Moscow.

I live in what is a pretty poor country, and there is a certain pessimism and naivety to the lower class people, that is reflected very well in Metro 2033.

I am just hoping that the opening couple of hours weren't some fluke, and the game continues to be as good as it has been so far. There is so much potential here, and this could have easily been a game that got a 85+ score across the board. It is a pity that they didn't have the resources to do better testing before release.

Playing Metro 2033, I actually feel like I just have to survive, which is very appealing to me. It is part of what attracted me to Demon's Souls. I've been playing at normal difficulty, and the game isn't "normal" at normal difficulty, I can tell you that much. I am still toying with the idea of playing at full hardcore. :P

edit:

Gamespot gave it an 8.0, which is far. I think IGN gave it a 6.5, which is just baffling.

I think Que would love this game. How many of you have Metro 2033?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Friday, November 12, 2010, 02:35:25 PM »
As much as I want to play Metro 2033 - I'll probably look to buy it around the time I get a new PC, given that this is supposed be one of the games people consider as benchmarks for newer high-end PC's.

Is the game's audio in Russian w/ English subtitles?
Or is it Russian voice-actors speaking in English?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #45 on: Friday, November 12, 2010, 02:36:02 PM »
Awesome, man. I've been distracted from the game lately, I ought to go back into it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #46 on: Friday, November 12, 2010, 02:50:37 PM »
[quote author=MysterD link=topic=5832.msg95273#msg95273 date=1289597725

Is the game's audio in Russian w/ English subtitles?
Or is it Russian voice-actors speaking in English?
[/quote]

hah... yea I was wondering how things would have turned out had they done it in Russian with subs. Sadly, no publisher in the world would have gone for that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #47 on: Friday, November 12, 2010, 03:00:51 PM »
Well, you could just switch the voice language to Russian and activate English subtitles through the game options. It is optional.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #48 on: Friday, November 12, 2010, 03:49:02 PM »
Wow, I didn't know that. That's pretty cool of them to allow that as an option!

I'll stick to English though. It has been good so far.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #49 on: Friday, November 12, 2010, 04:38:59 PM »
Well, you could just switch the voice language to Russian and activate English subtitles through the game options. It is optional.

Awesome.
More foreign games should go this route...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #50 on: Saturday, November 13, 2010, 12:50:51 AM »
Most games do, although many of them limit it to the installation process rather than a simple in-game option.

I used to install alternate language versions of games but keep English subs as an exercise to improve my language skills. If you've played The Witcher, try it in its native Polish!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 06:01:38 PM »
Damn, $10 is cheap on Steam...

So, for those who have it - know anyone crazy enuff to run it on a single-core rig?
How poorly did they fend?

Oh, what's the lowest-supported resolution here in this game?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, December 15, 2010, 11:42:19 AM »
I haven't played the game since then. Been playing DA's expansion lately.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #53 on: Saturday, December 18, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #54 on: Sunday, December 19, 2010, 01:52:36 AM »
I haven't played the game since then. Been playing DA's expansion lately.

Hey how have you been liking that? I picked it up around when it came out and havent really touched it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, December 19, 2010, 02:49:14 AM »
It is pretty alright if you are a DA fan. Dollar for dollar, it feels like a cheaper experience than the original. Stuff I liked like the party interaction etc., has been modified for a lower budget.

Overall, if you are looking to play more DA, then it is pretty goodish.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, December 19, 2010, 06:00:06 AM »
DA: Awakening felt rushed on the storyline stuff. Some of the boss fights felt done before, as well. I still liked it and all - but it could've been better, if it had more time and care put into it.

Back to Metro 2033 - I tried the demo out last night. Wow @ the graphics on higher settings. To get it stopping from slowing down and/or CTD'ing, had to basically drop it down to Low.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, January 15, 2011, 06:45:49 AM »
Destrutoid -> THQ talks about what they learned from Metro 2033.

"It wasn't properly supported in all areas," THQ VP of core games Danny Bilson said of Metro 2033 in an interview with Joystiq. "Did the game need polish in certain areas? Yes."

"So when I say it wasn't fully supported, it was product development and marketing that didn't support it the way it should've been." Continuing Bilson says "a great marketer picked it up with four months to go and did what he could with four months to go, but it wasn't properly nurtured by marketing."

THQ won't be making that mistake again with the sequel, Metro 2034. "I would say it's gonna have some better, more familiar shooting mechanics in it. And I would also say it's going to have a first-class marketing campaign that kicks off at E3."

I do love how top men at companies like THQ and EA aren't afraid to publicly talk about less-than-ideal execution and what that means for their games going forward. It's interesting, to say the least.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #58 on: Thursday, August 21, 2014, 09:17:30 PM »
So Metro 2033 and Last Light are getting big upgrades with Metro Redux:

http://www.giantbomb.com/metro-redux/3030-47329/

And man, do they look good. I don't have the PC for this, but the changes sound exciting. Soon as I have something to play this on, I'll be grabbing the pack. $50 for two overhauled versions of highly praised games sounds good to me. They look really nice, too. Some of the original atmosphere in 2033 seems to have been toned down a touch since it's just not as dark, but it still looks like a huge improvement.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #59 on: Friday, August 22, 2014, 12:34:23 AM »
It's only $25 if you already own the originals (or $12.50 per game).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re:
« Reply #60 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 07:45:18 AM »
It's only $25 if you already own the originals (or $12.50 per game).

I'm really growing tired of HD remastered complete-editions popping out so fast, after I've already got the original-version of the game.

I can understand this for older games, but it's starting to be an annoying + growing new trend on the PC...
...i.e. see Complete Pack Remastered HD's of the following: Deus Ex: HR DC; Metro 2033 Redux + Metro LL Redux; and upcoming Complete Pack Remastered HD Ed's planned for State of Decay + Sleeping Dogs.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Metro 2033: Updated into Metro Redux for 2014
« Reply #61 on: Monday, September 01, 2014, 04:47:26 PM »
It's 2 games in 1 at a cheaper price point, both with additions made over the original material (one game in an entirely new engine with new assets), and including all the DLC and such. I fail to see the problem. If they didn't sell these, you would never see those additions and the originals wouldn't be touched. It does suck in the sense that with PC games you can't ever sell anything anymore because it's all tied to Steam (a huge portion of my PC games that I'm "keeping" I'm keeping strictly because I can't sell them ... some of them will probably get chucked in the garbage because they're shit and I don't care). So yeah, that sucks, because you can't just sell off your old copies and get the new ones. But if you just wait, eventually this will go down in price too, and if you care that much, you'll probably be willing to shell out $20 or $30 to play a remastered edition. If you don't ... then who cares?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2014, 12:24:47 PM »
Honestly, Metro 2033 Redux was the major attraction for me.

I could have just gone with $12.50 for it alone but I figured, $25 is its actual price and I could get both 2033 & Last Light Redux for the that price tag, I figured it's worth it.

Btw, the 50% was only a pre-order offer. Which is kinda lame.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, September 03, 2014, 03:24:45 PM »
It's 2 games in 1 at a cheaper price point, both with additions made over the original material (one game in an entirely new engine with new assets), and including all the DLC and such. I fail to see the problem. If they didn't sell these, you would never see those additions and the originals wouldn't be touched. It does suck in the sense that with PC games you can't ever sell anything anymore because it's all tied to Steam (a huge portion of my PC games that I'm "keeping" I'm keeping strictly because I can't sell them ... some of them will probably get chucked in the garbage because they're shit and I don't care). So yeah, that sucks, because you can't just sell off your old copies and get the new ones. But if you just wait, eventually this will go down in price too, and if you care that much, you'll probably be willing to shell out $20 or $30 to play a remastered edition. If you don't ... then who cares?

Well, I care.

It's one thing to say release a Remastered Ed numerous years later - like what Beamdog's doing w/ Remastering Icewind Dale + Baldur's Gate 1&2. That makes more sense to me, as the game's been around forever and they're bringing it back to a new audience....while older fans might get it for convenience reasons (people might want this on Steam, might not want to dig out their discs, might have mods already includes, and other things of that sort).

It's cool when a game gets a Remastered Edition reworked + redone...and toss in all of the game's DLC. That's nice - but, what about us who already bought original editions? What about us who might even have original editions plus all DLC's + expansions?
What's next - they gonna start charging for patches?

But, these are frequently popping up + ultra-fast, maybe a year or two after an original-version's already been out - and that's a problem, IMHO. Why should I buy a game, if it's gonna get re-masterd w/ all its content so fast?
It's making my original versions look obsolete, so fast + quickly.

I think this is happening namely b/c they're porting popular games from PS3/X360 over to PS4/XB1 with trying to be closer in fidelity to what the PC is doing. And they figure while they're at it, they'll bring these Remastered Ed's over to the PC, too. I'm glad they're coming here - but they feel such fast + quick re-"cash-in's".

I already own original editions of Deus Ex: HR, Metro 2033, and Metro LL, Sleeping Dogs. Some of these - I have a lot of DLC for (Deus Ex HR), some I have little to none.
I might as well not even look at buying DLC for Sleeping Dogs and Metro LL - which thank God, I don't have many DLC's for, as is. I might as well just wait for the Re-Release - to get the DLC's that I'm missing.

As for Deus Ex: HR - I have most of the DLC, so this ain't enticing to me. Only real major improvement is boss-fights supposed to be redone + better.

EDIT:
Honestly, Metro 2033 Redux was the major attraction for me.

I could have just gone with $12.50 for it alone but I figured, $25 is its actual price and I could get both 2033 & Last Light Redux for the that price tag, I figured it's worth it.

Btw, the 50% was only a pre-order offer. Which is kinda lame.

Actually, Metro LL Redux was around $7 on Amazon DVG for download, few days ago - price-mistake/glitch.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, September 04, 2014, 04:19:33 AM »
My point is that you'd never get this kind of thing without paying for it because they'd have no incentive to do it. So essentially if you don't want it, don't buy it, and it's like it never happened. If you do want the new stuff, then go ahead. You aren't being short-changed in any way because these updates would never happen without a new package as a vehicle to sell them. Maybe as DLC or something, but that's quite unlikely. Every once in a while games get a free high-res texture pack or something, but that's not the same as what's happening here.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, September 04, 2014, 07:17:04 AM »
Yeah, that's why I had no qualms paying for it. It's worth it for me because I want those changes and extras, I want to experience Metro 2033 in the revamped engine. I don't wanna pay $50 for it (it's not a new game after all) but $25 I can justify.

Even though I was spoiled by The Witcher Enhanced Edition being completely free, it was an overhaul, and I would have considered paying for it as well.

I think most people felt that 50% off for owners of the originals but ONLY for those who pre-order was unfair, and I can see their argument. Others felt 50% was not enough.

Worst case, anyone who feels it's too pricey can just wait for the inevitable Steam sale.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, September 04, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »
And to be fair, even the enhanced Witcher wasn't quite as extensive an overhaul as Metro 2033's. That just involved rerecording dialogue and some slight switching around of systems and whatever, which is certainly no small feat, and I was hugely happy with CD Projekt RED for doing all that. The game benefited from the retrofit. But Metro 2033 got shoved into a whole new engine with some new assets and rebalancing. That's also pretty freaking huge, and to sell it on newer consoles for $50 when it includes a second game ... I'm sorry, there's nothing remotely unreasonable about that, especially given that PC players were offered a discount. That's pretty fucking great, honestly.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #67 on: Friday, September 05, 2014, 12:10:16 AM »
And to be fair, even the enhanced Witcher wasn't quite as extensive an overhaul as Metro 2033's. That just involved rerecording dialogue and some slight switching around of systems and whatever, which is certainly no small feat, and I was hugely happy with CD Projekt RED for doing all that. The game benefited from the retrofit. But Metro 2033 got shoved into a whole new engine with some new assets and rebalancing. That's also pretty freaking huge, and to sell it on newer consoles for $50 when it includes a second game ... I'm sorry, there's nothing remotely unreasonable about that, especially given that PC players were offered a discount. That's pretty fucking great, honestly.
Precisely.

But that,s the beauty of PC gaming.. PC: Next gen, every gen!