which should i buy next?

dragon age
1 (16.7%)
borderlands
2 (33.3%)
obligitary comedy option
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: dragon age or borderlands... go!  (Read 1725 times)

Offline beo

• Veteran
dragon age or borderlands... go!
« on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 02:22:06 PM »
either one would be for the 360 and i doubt any of my friends would be buying borderlands, rendering the multiplayer component a bit moot. at the moment i'm leaning towards dragon age...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: dragon age or borderlands... go!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 02:27:15 PM »
Tough call.  Dragon Age on the console is less spectacular than on the PC by a considerable margin, walking it pretty far into "just another RPG" territory with some slightly more exceptional presentation and character interaction.  Borderlands is really kind of built for MP, but I had a shit-ton of fun with it even just by myself, and that's definitely more of a game designed with consoles in mind.

Dunno', man.  Seems like a toss-up.  I vote for obligatory comedy option.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 02:35:52 PM »
It comes down to whether or not you want to be playing multiplayer.

I'd go for Dragon Age based solely on my personal choice to avoid 1st-person shooters on consoles.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 03:24:07 PM »
What kind of game you lookin' for?

In short, I think...
Borderlands = the FPS/APRG to get (for SP or Coop MP).
DAO = the single-player story-based tactical-RPG to get.

Here's my long-winded take on...
Borderlands
If you want a FPS/ARPG, Borderlands is most definitely your ticket - many times better than Hellgate: London. I'm already playing a third time through w/ this game on the PC - and still loving it. 1st time, played by myself - loved it; took me around 25 hours (and I did NOT do every quest, either). 2nd and 3rd time, been playing online and hosting Public Games on Gameranger - and that's also a freakin' blast, too! Borderlands doesn't present the story as good as many other AAA studio games do, though - it's very bare-bones, since it doesn't employ lots of cut-scenes; doesn't use lots of audio-logs (Bioshock) or any video logs (Dead Space); doesn't use a codex system (Mass Effect) or written logs to read (The Witcher and Mass Effect) to give the player additional information on any of the lore for the game.

When BL does actually do attempt to do cut-scenes and stuff, which is like ONLY probably 3-4 times in the entire game - it's top notch stuff and shows that if Gearbox wanted to make this game more story-based, they obviously could - they proved w/ BIA games they can make awesome story-based w/ very good written dialogue. Speaking of written-dialogue - the dialogue of Borderlands is often very funny and tongue-in-cheek - often, it's very hilarious stuff.

Some of the story is most definitely be implied by the names of companies (i.e. Atlas Corporation - direct reference to Atlas); some of the characters and their archetypes (Mad Mel - obvious Mel Gibson and Mad Max reference); the game world itself (Pandora); and some of the locations in Pandora. Actually, a fair deal of this stuff refers to Greek mythology. By the time you're done w/ the BL main quest, I'm sure you'll be like me - having tons of questions about characters, why certain things happened, etc - since a lot of threads are still hanging once the main quest is over. Believe me - there's a lot of stuff there on BL, it's just not spelled out to you in front of you or a lot is left hanging - just like Half-Life series.

About PC vs. consoles for Borderlands - probably a toss-up....

I'd rather have PC version for KB/mouse and to be able to mess w/ graphical options. Plus, PC version supports X360 controller. The console versions have DLC available already to buy, while we're still waiting on the PC version to get the DLC - even though Zombie Island DLC has been announced for the PC already. So, yeah - consoles got the advantage here for getting content first.

There is no official planned SDK for BL PC - but, some modder named Turk is experimenting already w/ the game-files and is trying to make map his own maps - so, only a matter of time, if these modders keep at it, as other modders are playing w/ it, as well.

PC version also has connectivity issues w/ the MP on GameSpy, if you don't open ports and/or if you have a router - Gearbox's next PC patch is supposed to fix those issues, as they've found the problem and plan to issue that fix in the next patch. So, you might have less trouble w/ BL's MP on consoles as opposed to GameSpy - at least for now. Though, I do run BL on GameRanger (as they unofficially support the game), for now - as that works perfectly fine and most players of BL PC (Retail or Steam) seem to be playing there anyways.

Dragon Age: Origins
Keep in mind, I ain't played this yet. From what I read and know from others -  I think if you're looking for the heavily story-based; lots of decision-making that can alter the game itself and its outcome; Baldur's Gate style tactical party-based RPG; and an adult story to boot - DAO is probably your ticket.

Personally, like Que said - I'd rather have the PC version of DAO. Why? B/c I'd rather have the KB/mouse for a very tactical game. B/c of that last reason, I want the PC version b/c it has the extra top-down BG2-like view that they omitted from the console version. Plus, PC version has a SDK - so you can bet this game will be popular enough that it will be modded and there will be mods, in due time.

EDIT:
My Vote Goes To Borderlands...
About Borderlands, there ain't many FPS/ARPG's around period - and this one is a great one. Despite its very few flaws (namely the handling of the story - in lack of presentations and lot of storyline threads left hanging by the end of the main quest), I keep coming back to this game - whether I decide to play it alone or online, I'm having a grand ole time w/ it - still. How many games do I replay this many times that have only one ending to all quests and the main quest? Not many. I think this game is going to cause a revolution for the FPS genre entirely b/c of the way it handles the extra Diablo 2-like ARPG elements thrown in for good measure in a FPS game - and it's all executed very well here, too. I think when many game designers look-back years from now on how to do a FPS/APRG, they'll look first and foremost at Borderlands.

About DAO, that looks to be a return to the BG type of tactical-RPG - but w/ much more adult Witcher-esque setting. This doesn't look that revolutionary to me - just evolutionary. I'm sure DAO probably is a great game and I'll get my hands on it soon eventually, as I'm freakin' dying to play this b/c i'm sure the execution is probably great - but, I don't think it'll be revolutionary. 
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 04:20:02 PM by MysterD »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 04:51:24 PM »
Fantasy is for fags. 

Go borderlands.

*Don't take my opinion on ANYTHING*  Seriously.  Hell, I'll probably buy Dragon Age later today.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 05:07:02 PM »
LOL @ GPW's above post.

So, GPW - how's DAO? :P

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 05:58:49 PM »
I had a similar decision to make.  Ultimately I chose Dragon Age, although the 35 dollar price of admission certainly didn't hurt.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 06:02:03 PM »
I voted Borderlands, I guess because I'm more into FPS and I love Borderlands. I haven't played DA though, but want to.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 06:36:33 PM »
I should note that initially I was probably a little harsh in my assessment of DA there.  There really isn't a lot exactly like it on consoles, probably.  I think Mass Effect was pretty unique when it came out on consoles, too, which is why it generated so much buzz, and it's probably the same for DA.  But that's really more the console perspective rather than a realistic one.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 06:48:31 PM »
I should note that initially I was probably a little harsh in my assessment of DA there.  There really isn't a lot exactly like it on consoles, probably.  I think Mass Effect was pretty unique when it came out on consoles, too, which is why it generated so much buzz, and it's probably the same for DA.  But that's really more the console perspective rather than a realistic one.

Que, I don't think you're being harsh - the console versions lack the top-down isometric BG-style viewpoint and lack KB/mouse support - in which these are the preferred styles used for tactical party-based RPG's. Those things missing in the console version are most definitely there in the PC version. I'll even go a step further - an official SDK is only on the PC version for DAO. So obviously, PC version is where it's at, granted you meet the PC system requirements - those are just facts.

About Mass Effect PC vs. X360 - PC version has the additional "tactical HUD" (for pausing and issuing orders like most classic Bioware PC games), which the console version doesn't have. That was pretty much the minor difference b/t those two versions.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, November 29, 2009, 11:44:15 PM »
Uhh... Dragon Age, hands down.

Borderlands is a fun and addictive game, but Dragon Age is well... Dragon Age.

I don't have anything against Borderlands, but I just don't find fast paced shooters fun on a console.