Author Topic: $280 NIC????!!!!  (Read 2277 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
$280 NIC????!!!!
« on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 11:55:20 AM »
Yep.  At least it's sweet looking.

http://www.killernic.com/KillerNic/

It's expensive because, well, first of all it's an enthusiast product.  Supposedly it helps you get higher framerates and reduced lag and latency in games by offloading work normally done by the CPU and by bypassing the Windows network stack (which obviously could use improvement considering it's supposedly a lot better in Vista and Linux).

However, how much work does the CPU really do in terms of network computations in comparison to say computing various aspects of a modern video game?  Probably a tiny percentage.  While any decrease in overhead certainly helps, is a negligible performance increase worth paying 10x more for a NIC card of all things?

I bet Ominous1 has one.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: $280 NIC????!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 12:21:47 PM »
I heard about this. I think the consensus so far is its a load of crap.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 12:22:20 PM »
I saw a review that brought up an excellent question, "Since it bypasses the Windows network stack, how does that affect software firewalls?"  The company's answer is that in most cases it doesn't, but that it can for some:

A lot of gamers turn off firewalls when gaming, because they want the performance benefits that can be achieved by turning everything else off other than the game. But for those that choose to run them while gaming, we expect most firewalls will work fine when bypassing the network stack using Killer. For any that don't, we have recently introduced LLR App Mode (with the latest patch that went out on Friday). LLR App Mode is still highly optimized for low latency networking, but without having to bypass the network stack. When a gamer wants to play games, they can switch to LLR Game Mode (without having to reboot) and when not gaming can switch back. We expect that most gamers will stay in LLR Game Mode all the time.
One thing interesting about the Killer NIC is that it has the Linux OS embedded onto it, I guess to do all its bypassing and processing.  Well, you can actually somehow access that Linux OS and interact with it via command-line, and the company is even promoting that as a way to make little apps that run on the NIC  (something they call "FNApps"), including software firewalls:

On a side note, a firewall would be a great FNApp for our Flexible Network Architecture. If the firewall were running on the Killer, then you could game with a firewall with no impact to your game experience. This is something we are actively supporting our customers and partners on.

Anyway, you can see more of this review here:

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=882

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 02:59:56 PM »
It runs Linux on it? That's actually kind of cool... and potentially useful. Assuming it can handle Java and network storage, I actually know of a distributed ad hoc grid computing platform that could use something like that. ($280 is still ridiculous, though.)
the card is equipped with a Freescale MPC8347E communications processor, a Xilinx Spartan FPGA, a Broadcom GigE PHY, 64MB of RAM, an embedded Linux distro and USB controller / port.
That might actually work.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 06:27:29 PM »
Yeah, I saw this a while ago.  Very odd.  I think they had an ad out in PCG.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 06:36:23 PM »
It's completely worthless, really.  If it were like $60 for this vs. $30 for a regular, decent NIC, I could see it being something to consider.  But at the price of videocards... please.