Author Topic: Lords of the Fallen -> Update: LOTF GOTY joins GOG (Reply 13)  (Read 4628 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 04:53:10 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Lords of the Fallen -> Dark Souls "Lite" type of Action-RPG for PC, XB1, PS4.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 08:10:59 AM »
Lords of The Fallen is getting a lot of comparisons to Dark Souls.

My previous theory is invalidated because I actually like Lords of the Fallen but I still really dislike Dark Souls. Even though LotF excludes one feature I liked about Dark Souls: character creation and customization. WTF is wrong with me?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Lords of the Fallen -> Dark Souls "Lite" type of Action-RPG for PC, XB1, PS4.
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 11:05:18 AM »
This looks good to me.  I read Eurogamer's and Gamespot's reviews.  A Dark Souls without crushing difficulty or online intrusions?  Where do I sign up?  Eurogamer does raise some concerns, mostly technical.  Let's hope the patch addresses those.  I'll keep my eye on it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 12:04:02 PM »
I was actually kind of excited about it, but after reading several reviews, I'm not going to bother. It sounds like the time would be better spent just playing more Dark Souls. From the sound of it, this is basically just Dark Souls except without everything that makes Dark Souls truly special.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 12:10:34 PM »
For those that are curious, Giant Bomb did a quick look of the PC and Xbox One versions of the game. It looks kind of neat and I might considering getting the PS4 version much later when its cheaper.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 03:26:11 PM »
The game looks so good, but I'm still reluctant because of Dark Souls. So much about Dark Souls was good, but the grind got to me. Not the difficulty, but the need to re-clear areas over and over to get xp. Blight Town was fun the first couple times, and learning how to get through it was a process. The 30th full clear was a chore though, and I was doing it for XP, not to press forward or explore.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 06:05:29 PM »
I have said it before and I will say it again, you never, ever need to grind in Dark Souls. Not ever. Seriously.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 07:40:20 PM »
I have said it before and I will say it again, you never, ever need to grind in Dark Souls. Not ever. Seriously.

Well, maybe it was the difficulty I didn't like then. I was facing bosses that would probably take 5 minutes to kill, but could 1 shot me. I knew that grinding for xp to level up would improve my stats, allow me to do more damage, and allow me to take less damage. The extreme health and damage of the bosses near me led me to believe I needed to level up, and re-clearing areas was the only way I knew to do it. That was the point where I stopped playing. I was going back and forth between the blacksmith in the parish and the dragon bridge bonfire, just clearing it all over and over for souls so I could level and I got bored.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 11:14:13 PM »
Some of us think Dark Souls is special, and some of us think it's way too difficult for enjoyment at any level.  I like the premise, but not the execution.  If LotF delivers both, then I'm there.  I'm not certain that it does, only that it looks promising.  Grinding doesn't bother me.  Intractable difficulty does.  RPGs and grinding go together like meat and potatoes.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 30, 2014, 08:43:26 AM »
Dark Souls really doesn't need grinding. It needs thoughtful use of available resources sometimes, but rarely grinding, unless grinding will allow you to better use an available resource. That's not clearing an area 30 times, though. That should be maybe a half hour to net yourself a few extra souls. Bear in mind there are people who beat these games regularly at level 1 as a sport. Now I can't do that, I'm not that good, nor do I know the systems well enough. But still, it does sort of prove the point that skill and thoughtful character craft are 99% of it. Leveling nets very small gains.

Anyway, we could debate a lot of this and without point, but I really do think Dark Souls difficulty is overblown. Certainly far from intractable. Most people who play Dark Souls can play it successfully. Its predecessor and sequel were also big hits because most people who played them could play them successfully. And I only am beating on that point a bit because I can't really see LotF as delivering on the premise of Dark Souls since the premise doesn't seem to be there. Largely linear, a closed environment, no worthwhile story, a static lead, and no appreciable difficulty? So doesn't that basically just make it an action RPG that decided to borrow some fundamental mechanical design from another game? I mean Dark Souls did do its own thing in those areas to some degree, and those mechanical elements were important, but not really any more so than any other game. All games have control setups and basic design principles. This just appears to be a hack and slash action RPG without any of the stuff that made Dark Souls amazing. Which doesn't mean it's worthless or not fun, just that I really don't think you can call this a similar premise. It's similar gameplay, but so are a thousand other mindless action RPGs. I was interested because of the Dark Souls comparisons at first, thinking that a different spin on that could be kinda cool, but in the end this doesn't seem very similar.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 31, 2014, 12:06:43 AM »
Dark Souls really doesn't need grinding. It needs thoughtful use of available resources sometimes, but rarely grinding, unless grinding will allow you to better use an available resource. That's not clearing an area 30 times, though. That should be maybe a half hour to net yourself a few extra souls. Bear in mind there are people who beat these games regularly at level 1 as a sport. Now I can't do that, I'm not that good, nor do I know the systems well enough. But still, it does sort of prove the point that skill and thoughtful character craft are 99% of it. Leveling nets very small gains.

Anyway, we could debate a lot of this and without point, but I really do think Dark Souls difficulty is overblown. Certainly far from intractable. Most people who play Dark Souls can play it successfully. Its predecessor and sequel were also big hits because most people who played them could play them successfully. And I only am beating on that point a bit because I can't really see LotF as delivering on the premise of Dark Souls since the premise doesn't seem to be there. Largely linear, a closed environment, no worthwhile story, a static lead, and no appreciable difficulty? So doesn't that basically just make it an action RPG that decided to borrow some fundamental mechanical design from another game? I mean Dark Souls did do its own thing in those areas to some degree, and those mechanical elements were important, but not really any more so than any other game. All games have control setups and basic design principles. This just appears to be a hack and slash action RPG without any of the stuff that made Dark Souls amazing. Which doesn't mean it's worthless or not fun, just that I really don't think you can call this a similar premise. It's similar gameplay, but so are a thousand other mindless action RPGs. I was interested because of the Dark Souls comparisons at first, thinking that a different spin on that could be kinda cool, but in the end this doesn't seem very similar.

Yeah, it's weird.  I found Dark Souls difficult in some ways, but never really to the point of frustration. It's a lot like Spelunky in some ways where if I died it felt like it was my fault - I went too fast or fucked up on timing of something I shouldn't have.  There was certainly a point where I was in a groove and felt like I had the whole thing figured out.  To be fair, I didn't finish it and didn't get to that point where things (maybe) get really rough, but it seemed to me like the difficulty and fun stemmed from the strategy in it - you couldn't just walk into a new room and see a new enemy and start mashing the attack button - you had to think about what was around you and kind of poke until you found a weakness.

Having said that, the point where I quit was a point where it got to be a chore for me to play anymore.  Trying to get to some boss, get cursed, die, run across the map for ten minutes to get the cure for getting cursed, can't afford any more cures until I get my souls from my corpse, go out to get it, get  cursed again, run across the map....aaaaand fuck this.  Simple enough problem to overcome, but just didn't have the will (or time really - that's the big part) to keep at it and I never could get back into it.

I don't know if this is what I'm looking for, but I would like a Dark Souls "lite" with the same strategy, combat, and general difficulty, but without the requirement of longer play sessions.  OR maybe I was just playing Dark Souls wrong.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Friday, October 31, 2014, 03:33:58 AM »
We have already captured the arguments in the Dark Souls thread.  We could retread them here, I suppose, but it seems like a waste of time and space.  It will boil down to the same two camps again--those who like the game and its difficulty, and those who don't.  LotF will likely appeal more to the latter camp, if the quality is high enough.

. . . the point where I quit was a point where it got to be a chore for me to play anymore.  Trying to get to some boss, get cursed, die, run across the map for ten minutes to get the cure for getting cursed, can't afford any more cures until I get my souls from my corpse, go out to get it, get  cursed again, run across the map....aaaaand fuck this.  Simple enough problem to overcome, but just didn't have the will (or time really - that's the big part) to keep at it and I never could get back into it.

Right.  And that quitting point will hit at different times for different people (in the latter camp).  I suspect my point came a great deal earlier than yours, but it's the same thing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Lords of the Fallen -> Update: LOTF GOTY joins GOG (Reply 13)
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2018, 12:40:28 AM »
Still can't get a read on this game. I watched some of it, and have read reports from people who've played it, and it seems like ... it's not as bad as its made out to be, but it's also not amazing, and it has a number of fairly significant problems, not the least of which are bugs. It sure looks pretty, though. At $5, I'm tempted, but I'm not at home with a PC to play it anyway. One thing I couldn't find is ... what's the GOTY version? Is there some sort of DLC that was packed in? The ad doesn't say anything about it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2018, 06:44:58 AM »
I could not get into LotF.  Not that it was horrible; more like not compelling.  I think I got it as a freebie (Games with Gold), which might disqualify my easy dismissal.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2018, 04:37:31 PM »
Still can't get a read on this game. I watched some of it, and have read reports from people who've played it, and it seems like ... it's not as bad as its made out to be, but it's also not amazing, and it has a number of fairly significant problems, not the least of which are bugs. It sure looks pretty, though. At $5, I'm tempted, but I'm not at home with a PC to play it anyway. One thing I couldn't find is ... what's the GOTY version? Is there some sort of DLC that was packed in? The ad doesn't say anything about it.

I would assume, it's the same as the Steam GOTY Edition, which is all of this: https://store.steampowered.com/sub/48346/

The Main Content DLC's listed on Steam, are these - which don't seem that special:
Monk Decipher - https://store.steampowered.com/app/317200/Lords_of_the_Fallen__Monk_Decipher/
Ancient Labyrinth - https://store.steampowered.com/app/333800/Lords_of_the_Fallen___Ancient_Labyrinth/

From reviews and HLTB - doesn't sound like DLC's are long or even really worth it, TBH.

But, of course, for $5 - doesn't sound like it's a bad deal for everything, either.

I have LOTF (Base-game only) in my Steam backlog - but eh, ain't got around to it.