Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII (& XIII-2)  (Read 46498 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Final Fantasy XIII
« Reply #120 on: Sunday, March 21, 2010, 10:44:57 PM »
Square Enix made another mistake with this game that I've noticed since I started playing but couldn't figure out how to fix it until now.  Apparently, Square decided to make Dolby Digital the precedent audio codec to use instead of DTS (if you look at the box, it is clearly stated that DTS and Dolby Digital are both supported).  It's a completely illogical decision.  Apparently you have to deselect Dolby Digital support within the audio settings of your PS3 (not in game, but on the XMB) in order for DTS to kick in.  That is retarded.  Most games that support DTS select automatically (Uncharted, Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, Dragon Age Origins, etc.)

I have no idea what this means.  Do some receivers not support Dolby Digital?  Is DTS pretty much the standard?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: Monday, March 22, 2010, 07:54:04 AM »
He's saying that DTS should be the default when available, so I assume DTS is superior to Dolby Digital.  This game doesn't follow that convention, and he's unhappy about it.

Edit:  There is no shortage of information anymore.

If the grammar problems there mar credibility, here is an alternative article.  It's much shorter too, but basically says the same thing.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 22, 2010, 08:55:31 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 10:27:25 AM »
The game is pretty decent, but probably not worth the full price. I've enjoyed what I've played so far, but it has been a pretty monotonous experience.

What has been disappointing is the game's setting. It started with this weird futuristic fantasy thing, but since then has gone into this standard wilderness setting. While the various enemies are very creative looking, the game's maps are starting to look very uninspired.

I was quite excited at first because the game started on this futuristic railway track, with what looked like an advanced city in the background. It reminded of some great animes I've seen. Unfortunately, my party members soon found themselves in the under city, which is devoid of anything that made that opening sequence special.

The combat isn't bad, and I am enjoying it, but it seems all that made the game feel so cohesive and creative at first, is slowly slipping away.

Interestingly enough, the party members have stopped chatting with each other during the exploration portions, which is again disappointing.

But yea, I hope it slips back to what made the game look so interesting, and feel so special.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #123 on: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 10:37:28 PM »
25.5 hours in, I've finally left Cocoon and made it to Gran Pulse.  It hasn't opened up quite yet because I literally just landed in Pulse and then quit the game.  The last 3-4 hours were BORING... basically all of chapter 10.  You're stuck in this place that is linear (no surprise there), but also because it doesn't progress the story very much at all.  There are like 3 cutscenes that are story related in chapter 10 (the start, the middle and the end) and as a result, it's one big grind.  There is a reason to that though and it is woven into the story giving you a reason as to why it's a big grind, but still as the player I'm wondering, 'when is this chapter going to end?'

Anyway, still a good game overall, but chapter 10 sucked.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #124 on: Thursday, April 01, 2010, 10:18:10 AM »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #125 on: Thursday, April 01, 2010, 11:31:56 AM »
I'm still playing this right now, I'm about 42 hours in and still enjoying it.  Just finished Chapter 11 which was pretty fun, had a nice variety of different areas and all the sidequest stuff was a nice break in the main story and offered some funny cutscenes.  The opening to Chapter 12 was fucking awesome, but that's where I stopped last night.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: Thursday, April 01, 2010, 12:07:55 PM »
Yahtzee's review. Ouch.

Ahahaha!  That's one of his funniest outings.  I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when he mentioned banging coconuts together.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #127 on: Thursday, April 01, 2010, 01:52:56 PM »
Probably his funniest review since he started, and I actually like the game

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #128 on: Thursday, April 01, 2010, 02:26:17 PM »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #129 on: Friday, April 02, 2010, 10:12:47 AM »
Great review from Yahtzee.  What he says is true, though if you do persist through the game it does get a lot better.  The first few hours had me scratching my head as I wasn't drawn into the story at all.  It does pick up at about the 10 hour mark, and then it gets really boring at about the 20-25 hour mark before the world opens up for you to explore.

This game has its ups and downs, but it's still fun.  That said, I've put it on hold right now since I'm working on God of War III.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #130 on: Friday, April 02, 2010, 08:53:24 PM »
Jeff of Giantbomb gives it 3 out 5 stars.

He starts off rather negative, "I stuck it out because I needed to review the game and because I loved Final Fantasy once, and ultimately I'm glad I did. But if it weren't for those two drivers I'd have probably never made it through the first 15 or so hours it takes to see the good part, where the fighting becomes fun and you start to understand the story and care about what happens to its characters."

But has some good things to say at the end, "There are a lot of great things going on in this game--I genuinely loved something about every aspect, from the combat to the story to the visual design."

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #131 on: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 02:34:46 AM »
Well, I finally beat the game.  What a great story.  I clocked in at around 55 hours and still need to do the post game sidequest stuff.  Overall, this was a good game, but there are some things they need to address with the next games if they are going to continue in this direction for their next titles.  The lack of towns and exploration is probably my biggest complaint and if they could just open up the world a little more (and much earlier) and stick with the same gameplay and story pacing, the next game will be even better.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #132 on: Tuesday, May 04, 2010, 10:40:58 PM »
I finally finished it tonight... this is the first Final Fantasy game I've ever finished (having only played 7, 8, and this) and I am somewhat disappointed in this game.  There were ups and downs at the start, but by the time you hit the 25 hour mark and the game opens up, the story is complete nonsense and I didn't care for the world or the characters.  By the time the credits rolled I was grateful it ended, but I still couldn't bring myself to care for any of the characters at all.  The gameplay difficulty ramped up significantly in the final chapters, but then the final boss was a complete pushover as well.

Overall, it's a very, very mixed bag.  You get to create a cleared game save after the credits so you can return to Pulse and finish up the side missions and max out your characters... I might do a couple more for some trophies since the Gran Pulse missions do pose a nice challenge, but other than that there is no incentive to play the game anymore.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #133 on: Wednesday, May 05, 2010, 07:32:46 AM »
This is on sale at K-mart the next few days for 30 bucks, if there's one around you.  They also have Modern Warfare 2 for 30 bucks, which I picked up.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #134 on: Thursday, January 13, 2011, 08:56:18 PM »
Shacknews -> A domain for Final Fantasy XIII-2 has been registered.

Remember, Square a while back did state that there was enough stuff on the cutting room floor to make another game...

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #135 on: Thursday, January 13, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »
I guess when you're making straight line levels you can really pump them out.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #136 on: Thursday, January 13, 2011, 11:07:28 PM »
Zero interest.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #137 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 12:41:00 AM »
Great, what they initially aborted somehow survived.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #138 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
They boxed it and sold it too.  Now they're adding more to it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #139 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 09:42:15 AM »
Bastards.

Easily my biggest disappointment on the PS3.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #141 on: Tuesday, January 18, 2011, 04:35:03 PM »
Have any of you even played the game?  Seems like an awful lot of badmouthing.  I didn't play a whole lot but did manage to put a few hours in on Julia's copy.  Design choices may have been questionable, but it still seemed like a competent game.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday, January 18, 2011, 06:50:17 PM »
Played it all the way through and didn't really like it at all, except for the cinematics and the character design.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #143 on: Tuesday, January 18, 2011, 09:59:25 PM »
Have any of you even played the game?  Seems like an awful lot of badmouthing.  I didn't play a whole lot but did manage to put a few hours in on Julia's copy.  Design choices may have been questionable, but it still seemed like a competent game.

I haven't played the game, but I read a ton of reviews in an attempt to decide whether or not to purchase it. I would place a wager that if the game didn't have the Final Fantasy moniker attached to it, the game would have gotten middling reviews at best.  I think Squenix has begun to overestimate their ability to deliver a AAA title and bought into their own bullshit.  If it wasn't for the Dragon Quest series, I'd probably be done with them altogether.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday, January 18, 2011, 10:55:19 PM »
I dunno'.  This new game doesn't really appeal to me because JRPGs in general don't anymore, but FFXII is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 09:00:23 AM »
I loved what I played of XII.  Interesting characters, good writing.  Apparently it all takes a huge nose dive in the second half though. At least that's what I've been told.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 10:39:08 AM »
Not in my opinion.  The story isn't as personal as it should have been, but I think people spent so mich time complaining about what they didn't like with XII that they turned XIII into the antithesis of that and everyone hated it even more.  Frankly, I think people are just so hung up on things they do nothing but bitch no matter what gets released.  XII had its soundtrack badmouthed almost universally just because Uematsu didn't do it, but it was a bloody Sakimoto masterpiece.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #147 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 11:54:34 AM »
I enjoy the soundtrack greatly.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, January 26, 2011, 03:08:46 PM »
NOTE: There are SPOILERS from FF XIII-1 in below link, so you have been warned...
1Up -> What to expect in FF XIII-2 for story and gameplay.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #149 on: Friday, June 03, 2011, 03:57:27 PM »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday, November 16, 2011, 09:38:15 PM »
FFXIII-2 Launch Trailer

Though it shows that production values are top notch, as is expected from Square, the game, story, characters, and writing look terrible.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #151 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 07:39:55 PM »
I thought this was pretty notable:

FF XIII-2's Chocobo theme

I'm not sure if this is the best or the worst take on the theme yet (best sure to stick around for at least 11 seconds before you decide).

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 07:51:48 PM »
I thought this was pretty notable:

FF XIII-2's Chocobo theme

I'm not sure if this is the best or the worst take on the theme yet (best sure to stick around for at least 11 seconds before you decide).

Hahaha, I knew someone was going to post this! Yeah, I was cool with it until the dude starting singing.  It's kind of a funny track but I doubt that was their intent.  I've listened to a few of the other tracks on the OST and they are pretty good and on the same level as the soundtrack for FFXIII, which isn't surprising since its the same composer.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Final Fantasy XIII (& XIII-2)
« Reply #153 on: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 10:59:14 AM »
A dude starts singing?  Where?  Not at 11 seconds.   :P

Yeouch!  That's godawful, and a tragic break from the lovely harmonic nature of past FF music.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #154 on: Friday, January 27, 2012, 06:33:13 PM »
« Last Edit: Monday, January 30, 2012, 05:23:14 PM by MysterD »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #155 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 04:36:31 PM »
I'm so weak.  I told myself I was going to hold off on buying FFXIII-2 until later, but I ended up picking it up today.  I plan on diving into it after I study a little more today.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 09:47:42 PM »
I still have to finish XIII! It's such a drag though!!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #157 on: Thursday, July 05, 2012, 02:47:41 PM »
IGN -> Square-Enix might do a FF XIII-3.

When asked if whether Final Fantasy XIII would be a focus at the the upcoming Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary event, he replied, "The [FFXIII-2] Lightning download content had an ending that left a feeling mystery and hope. The day when the meaning of this will come to light is not too far off."

Speculation about the possibility of a third instalment in Lightning's story has been rife since Final Fantasy XIII-2 ended with the words "to be continued", but this was later suggested to refer to DLC.  Now though it seems the original idea could be closer to the mark.

Thankfully we won't have to wait too long to find out; the anniversary event mentioned by Toriyama is scheduled to take place at an art gallery in Shibuya from August 31.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #158 on: Thursday, July 05, 2012, 10:28:43 PM »
Level with me...do these games suck?  I used to like Final Fantasy games.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #159 on: Friday, July 06, 2012, 01:09:42 AM »
Level with me...do these games suck?  I used to like Final Fantasy games.
I love FF games.. I cannot finish FFXIII.. I haven't played FFXIII-2.. Visually FFXIII looks great (though extremely weird), but it is so f'ing boring. To test myself I went back and played FFVIII (the last FF game I found boring) and I'm having a better time with it!

The pipe-dream of every FF fan is a FFVII remake but who knows when/if that will happen. So what we're all holding our collective breath for is FF Versus XIII, which seems to slip away with every Square-Enix announcement or press release (which never mention it).