Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption  (Read 27449 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Red Dead Redemption
« on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 05:15:28 AM »
Watch this and I dare you to tell me that doesn't look totally fucking awesome.

All who do will be banned.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 06:12:22 AM »
It doesn't look totally fucking awesome.

The technology seems sort of cool, but I'm put off by the fact that it's an open world game, which are always sort of fucked up and unpolished. They also typically feature boring ass missions with cut and paste side missions. Oh, and even if none of that had deterred me, it's a western. I actually probably would have stayed out of the discussion, but you dared me to disagree. :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 07:06:49 AM »
Leave it to W7.

Yeah, I think it looks totally awesome.  I didn't play Revolver, but this one looks fantastic.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 08:51:47 AM »
That looks totally fucking awesome.  And I know now who not to bore with my Fallout 3 praise.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 08:58:32 AM »
That looks totally fucking awesome.  And I know now who not to bore with my Fallout 3 praise.

Me? I love Fallout 3. I just need to actually play, you know, something past Megaton in the main story. When I say open world, I mean GTA and it's various clones. They always seem to sacrifice interesting story and functional controls for the wow factor of a huge world. Assassin's Creed is the only game like that I've actually liked.

And I just really don't like westerns.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 12:37:04 PM »
Yeah, I want this so bad.  I loved Red Dead Revolver and I love westerns.  I really hope this doesn't suck.  There hasn't been enough good western games, but its a niche audience I guess.  Gun was so-so, but way too fucking short.

Offline wizall

« Reply #6 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 12:46:38 PM »
I think this looks amazing. Boner. I hope it pans out.

I don't recall having played a western-themed game, which is stupid. What did you think of the Call of Juarez games?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #7 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 01:04:48 PM »
Looks interesting.  Let's hope they back the tech with a good story and set pieces.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 01:22:33 PM »
What did you think of the Call of Juarez games?

I never got around to playing those since they are on 360 and I don't really do too much PC gaming but I really should give the first one a try sometime.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 02:41:10 PM »
I had just heard of this a couple months ago. I can't wait to give it a whirl. Looks awesome.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 12:55:52 PM »
this game is looking more and more awesome by the day

Those horses look great. I'm totally fuckin sold on it. I can't wait to lasso some dudes and drag them through town, Marty Mcfly style.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Friday, May 07, 2010, 04:47:49 PM »
I can't believe no one else is as excited as I am about this game.

Mexican shootouts! Showdowns! Lassoing people and dragging them through the street. Shooting off ten-gallon hats!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Friday, May 07, 2010, 05:14:06 PM »
Ive been on a practical media blackout since one of the early trailers. I really want this game.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #13 on: Friday, May 07, 2010, 05:39:17 PM »
I can't believe no one else is as excited as I am about this game.

Mexican shootouts! Showdowns! Lassoing people and dragging them through the street. Shooting off ten-gallon hats!

No man, I'm pretty much right there with you, I've been hitting up trailers every now and again. This is probably my most anticipated game this year next to ME2.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Friday, May 07, 2010, 11:03:56 PM »
This is the first time I've been in this thread.

Wow...

I've been wanting to see a game like this for a while. I grew up watching Westerns. :P I actually wondered a few times why a game like this wasn't made...

I was excited when Gun came out... but it sucked.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, May 08, 2010, 06:02:15 PM »
I will probably be buying my PS3 when this comes out.  Room mate bought an HD TV, so it makes the PS3 cost alone far more justifiable. Thing is, most of my friends have 360s and online would be a lot more fun....but it's hard to convince myself it'd be a better fun investment with all the problems and lack of a blu ray player.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, May 08, 2010, 06:48:45 PM »
Oh, man....those videos you guys posted - AWESOME.

This is exactly what GTA needed - GTA: Wild Wild West. :P Sure, GTA always been a great series and all - but damn, even with its small tweaks and improvements over the years - the gameplay, weapons, vehicles, and settings ain't changed much, have they? GTA3 and 4 are Modern NY-like city; Vice City was 80's Miami-like city (my fav. of the GTA's); San Andreas was 90's California. A GTA-like game in the West sounds like a great idea to me - a departure from the late 1900's to early 2000's.

I mean, sure - Call of Juarez (original) was pretty good and Gun was good (but could've been better than what it was), but man...this RDR sandbox Western game looks freaking awesome. Where the hell have games taking place in the West been all these years?  :o

You know what I'm thinking already, probably - yeah, I'd love to see this on the PC, sometime down the line - as long as Rockstar would do a good job porting it here, of course. They already had one RAGE Engine game here (GTA4 PC - and it has improved its performance a little bit w/ its last patch), so I hope they would do better next time around w/ the same engine (RDR)...

You know something? RDR might revitalize The Western genre. Actually, was it even a big genre in gaming in the first place? I don't think it was. Now...will someone make a RPG set in the Wild Wild West please? :P

EDIT:
I don't recall having played a western-themed game, which is stupid. What did you think of the Call of Juarez games?
I played the first COJ for the PC - and it's one hell of a (linear) first-person shooter.
I have COJ: Bound in Blood - but ain't installed it yet.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, May 08, 2010, 06:55:51 PM »
I've played both Call of Juarez games and I really liked them. Bound in Blood definitely feels more polished and focused on the gameplay.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, May 08, 2010, 06:57:20 PM »
I've played both Call of Juarez games and I really liked them. Bound in Blood definitely feels more polished and focused on the gameplay.
Shit, maybe I should install Bound in Blood soon...

RDR looks like the game everybody was probably hoping from with Gun.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, May 09, 2010, 12:17:18 AM »
I will probably be buying my PS3 when this comes out.  Room mate bought an HD TV, so it makes the PS3 cost alone far more justifiable. Thing is, most of my friends have 360s and online would be a lot more fun....but it's hard to convince myself it'd be a better fun investment with all the problems and lack of a blu ray player.

I think about ten of us own PS3s on OW.

Honestly, I just don't like multiplayer gaming on a console... It isn't just the crowd... it is just... it feels weird.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, May 09, 2010, 04:23:42 AM »

Honestly, I just don't like multiplayer gaming on a console... It isn't just the crowd... it is just... it feels weird.
I think us PC gamers prefer ded-servers and KB/mouse for these type of shooting games...

EDIT:
Red Dead Redemption - The Revolution Trailer.
RDR - Free Roam MP Mode Trailer.

EDIT 2:
RDR - The Outlaws To The End DLC coming in June as FREE DLC for X360 and PS3.
This is a 6-mission Co-Op Mission Pack DLC meant for 2-4 players.
Click link for more details.

« Last Edit: Sunday, May 09, 2010, 05:01:08 AM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, May 09, 2010, 07:20:11 AM »
Not just that... I guess it is the interface as well... though XBL is pretty good in that regard.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, May 09, 2010, 07:25:17 AM »
Not just that... I guess it is the interface as well... though XBL is pretty good in that regard.

Is XBL much more robust than PSN on the interface aspect?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, May 09, 2010, 07:34:11 AM »
edit: whoops
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 09, 2010, 08:20:10 AM by Pugnate »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, May 09, 2010, 08:14:47 AM »
So I just finished it. I was on the last mission as I typed that previous message. The game was without doubt, very good, but definitely fell short of excellence.

There are moments early that offer lots of stealth options, and the first half of the game finds a great balance between stealth and action. Unfortunately, the last half felt far more third-person action. Don't get me wrong, it was still good fun, but I felt it was easier to raise hell than sneak from the shadows.

Overall the storytelling was good, and the soundtrack was just top notch.

Good solid game, but I'd still rank it below the first splinter cell, and Chaos Theory.

Pug, wrong thread, bro.
This is the RDR thread, not SC:Con thread. :P

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, May 09, 2010, 02:09:49 PM »
This is exactly what GTA needed - GTA: Wild Wild West. Tongue Sure, GTA always been a great series and all - but damn, even with its small tweaks and improvements over the years - the gameplay, weapons, vehicles, and settings ain't changed much, have they? GTA3 and 4 are Modern NY-like city; Vice City was 80's Miami-like city (my fav. of the GTA's); San Andreas was 90's California. A GTA-like game in the West sounds like a great idea to me - a departure from the late 1900's to early 2000's.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a GTA game without cars is a retarded idea.  That's essentially the basis of the game.  If you want to make an open world game in the wild west era, just start a new series.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, May 09, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a GTA game without cars is a retarded idea.  That's essentially the basis of the game.  If you want to make an open world game in the wild west era, just start a new series.
I was basically saying Red Dead Redemption looks like it could've been called GTA: Wild Wild West - since it's on the same engine (RAGE Engine); has an open-world; and we have "Vehicles" (horses, not cars); and we got side mini-games (poker, instead of pool and darts).

Of course, there's no "Auto", so can't call it GTA: Wild Wild West. :P

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #27 on: Monday, May 10, 2010, 02:02:10 AM »

Yea, I mean D gets what you're saying, he just likes calling every sandbox open world game "GTA-like". Just pat him on the head.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #28 on: Monday, May 10, 2010, 02:54:22 AM »
Yea, I mean D gets what you're saying, he just likes calling every sandbox open world game "GTA-like". Just pat him on the head.

Thanks for clearing that up, because I was getting the wrong idea about the game from what I was getting from the glances at D's posts.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Monday, May 10, 2010, 01:35:28 PM »

Would y'all rather me compare it to Oblivion of Fallout 3 w/ their open-world sandbox? :P

I will - will Red Dead Redemption have the decision making aspect commonly found for finishing quests like in those two games?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #30 on: Monday, May 10, 2010, 03:24:43 PM »
My mistake, you can keep going down the path you are going. Just know that nobody knows what the fuck you're talking about.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, May 13, 2010, 07:59:34 PM »
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/launch-trailer-red-dead/100155

Launch Trailer just went up. I'm taking Tuesday off.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: Monday, May 17, 2010, 07:29:58 AM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: Monday, May 17, 2010, 07:51:02 AM »
Watch this space.  Looks very promising.

I haven't been following this game at all.  I've looked into the thread now and then, but I didn't really connect with it.  I'm paying attention now.

Edit:  Hah!  Now it's fully populated.  Lots of high scores.
« Last Edit: Monday, May 17, 2010, 12:23:02 PM by Cobra951 »

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: Monday, May 17, 2010, 08:54:15 AM »
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1090145p1.html

9.8 from IGN UK.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1090125p1.html

A 9.7 for the IGN US review.

I'm calling off tomorrow to study, but also because I'm going to the midnight release of this game...man I feel like a dork.

This is one of those games I clean up my gaming and entertainment area for...

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #36 on: Monday, May 17, 2010, 09:22:56 AM »
Wow, I haven't been following this game at all. Now I really want it after watching the review.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #37 on: Monday, May 17, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 05:40:42 PM by MysterD »

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 01:26:23 PM »
This game is off the fucking chain!

Shooting a guy on his horse, and his foot gets caught in the stirrups is pure awesome. Or blasting some guy in the legs and he falls to the ground still trying to shoot at you. Lassoing dudes, and dragging them through town looks sweet. Finding treasure maps and running around the country side trying to figure out where the treasure is buried, is freaking great. The story is interesting and pulls you right in, the voice acting is top notch.

The only thing about the game that is a LITTLE annoying is that my guy keeps disappearing in the free roam mode, think it may be a connection issue though. My internet is kind of crappy right now.

Go buy this game if you like awesome.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 04:34:28 PM »
You really need to quit that... like right now, I fucking want it so bad.