Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption  (Read 27448 times)

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 04:54:17 PM »
I want this, but will have to wait till next paycheck....fuck.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 05:23:41 PM »
I really hope it finds its way to PC. If not I'll probably just get it on PS3 when I get back to Abu Dhabi.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 05:26:07 PM »
I really hope it finds its way to PC.
I do, too.

If not I'll probably just get it on PS3 when I get back to Abu Dhabi.
Has there any like comparisons on what's better - PS3 or X360 version?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 06:13:09 PM »
Has there any like comparisons on what's better - PS3 or X360 version?
Not sure, but I doubt they're very different. Maybe slight anti-aliasing and texture quality, but likely unnoticeable.

Check around YouTube, you might find some comparison vids. The most recent one I watched was a SC Conviction PC vs 360 side-by-side comparison. The C version looks so crisp compared to the X360 version; textures, edges, and even some shader effects were more impressive on PC.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 07:51:25 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »
This is non-scientific, but after playing an hour of both games, and switching back and forth between the two systems on our display, it's clear that the 360 version has quite the graphical advantage. It's sharper, with much less aliasing. The faces of the characters were clearer in the opening section. Gameplay sections likewise looked better, with smoother graphics across the board. The PlayStation 3 version looked impressive, but there was a noticeable jump in quality while playing on the 360.
Ars Technica

Rockstar's roots are on the PC, after all.

Edit:  There's a link to a 1UP blurb in the comments.  If this is accurate, the 360 version runs at 720p with 2X AA.  The PS3 version runs at 640p.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 09:39:46 PM »
I can confirm having played it for about 45 minutes that it is indeed, fucking awesome.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 09:47:39 PM »
Amazing that I hadn't heard of this game till a month ago.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 09:57:44 PM »
Disappointing that the PS3 version is "behind" but...eh. I'll probably get it for PS3 and then maybe later if there is a PC version.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 11:27:20 PM »
I've been downloading & watching some full-res trailers on the 360.  They have me drooling.  The funny thing is that I don't much care for the Western setting, but I really want to play this.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2010, 05:59:27 PM »
Hmmm, I didn't think that I would be that good but with these rave reviews I just might have to pick it up in the near future.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline wizall

« Reply #52 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 08:05:49 PM »
I have a $50 card for Fry's, but I waited a day too long to head down there. FUCK.

Btw, there's a solid quicklook at Giantbomb.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 11:45:57 PM »
Got this for the 360 the other day.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #54 on: Friday, May 21, 2010, 07:07:57 PM »
ok, this game is good. got home at 6, put it in, looked at my watch, 3am. fuck. i've spent probably in excess of an hour just on the gambling - the poker in this is better than some stand alone poker games.

if i were to compare it to anything, it would certainly be gta. if you imagine gta in a western setting, you're about 90% of the way there.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, May 22, 2010, 01:20:01 AM »
I don't know how to explain it, but it is, and it isn't. It is in the sense that technically, it is a GTA in the wildwest, but at the same time, I feel that description sells it short.

There is a level of quality and polish here that sets it apart from previous GTA style Rockstar games. There is also a real sense of identity here. You can tell they really put their soul into creating something very unique.

When I first started the game last night, the first thing I was really impressed by, were the visuals, which are great. I also love the edgy art style, which is more Tombstone than Brisco County Jr. For example, the main character has a face that only a mother could love. Even the main female lead looks a bit weathered.

I only played a few hours or so, so I am not sure if this will start to feel like a typical rockstar game as it progresses. I remember GTAIV had a grand first few hours before it went back to the standard.

I've been pretty impressed with the shooting so far though.

I had been wondering recently what it was about Rockstar games that made them feel dated so very quickly after release, more so than other games. My conclusion was that Rockstar games have always been highly impressive in certain areas (like alive open worlds), and kinda frustrating and shitty in others (like the actual gun play, the lack of save points), even upon release.

So far the good news is that RDR seems to have very good shooting mechanics, that are really enjoyable. The horse riding is just awesome as well.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: Saturday, May 22, 2010, 09:09:49 AM »
I read that you can save just about anywhere, which is a huge improvement over GTA IV.  This one is at the top of my short list.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, May 22, 2010, 12:11:46 PM »
I picked it up and I'm hoping it breaks my long gaming dry spell.  I really want to love this game.  I'll be starting in after I shower and clean myself up.  I spent last night at Paul's drinking... oh, probably a dozen or so beers.  I passed out on the couch at 10:30.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #58 on: Saturday, May 22, 2010, 02:32:27 PM »
I read that you can save just about anywhere, which is a huge improvement over GTA IV.
That's awesome.

Can you save in a mission?
Are there checkpoints saves within missions w/ multiple parts?

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #59 on: Saturday, May 22, 2010, 04:56:19 PM »
You can't save in missions or when you are inside a gang hideout. Other than that, you just pitch a camp site and save. Or run into the nearest town and save.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #60 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 06:31:56 AM »
You can't save in missions or when you are inside a gang hideout.

GTA4: Episodes from Liberty City has autosaves w/in missions w/ multiple parts (that they provide to you) - do they offer those up?

Other than that, you just pitch a camp site and save. Or run into the nearest town and save.
Sweet. Sure beats always driving to a "safe house."

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #61 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 09:14:43 AM »
Well, you have a hideout in each town. So it's kind of similar. Or, like I said, you can pitch a tent....haha....

And it does autosave at certain checkpoints within missions.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #62 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 10:44:53 AM »
Awesome, Scary.
Sounds like Rockstar's learned from a lot of people's past criticisms. :)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #63 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 10:51:22 AM »
This game is just so much fun. And yes, it is almost like they made GTA5, except they made it in the wild west.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 11:35:03 AM »
I'm trying really hard to enjoy this game.  Life circumstances are making it very hard, but it really does seem phenomenal.  I'm having fun when I can actually concentrate on playing it and not finding a place to save and quit.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #65 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 11:51:50 AM »
I know how that feeling goes. Luckily, problems in my personal life eventually normally don't last more than a few days... until then the only thing I can concentrate on is bejeweled.

But yea the progress recording aspect has really gone through an overhaul from previous Rockstar games. I hope they bring this into GTA5.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #66 on: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 11:54:44 AM »
This game is just so much fun. And yes, it is almost like they made GTA5, except they made it in the wild west.

I'm glad somebody decided to do a Western. Ain't enuff of those Westerns -- especially good ones -- on the market, as is.

About GTA5 - yeah, I'd like to see those new gameplay saving and auto-saving features in a future GTA. I'd rather see Vice City 2 (on The RAGE Engine) first before GTA5, though. :P

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 07:53:12 AM »
A 30-minute RDR machinima film airs on Fox this Saturday night at midnight.  It was created and directed by John Hillcoat, the pro director responsible for The Road and other movies.  Man, talk about ad budgets.

Story from Rockstar

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 11:23:24 AM »
finished it up earlier today. still got some wilderness challenges to complete, but apart from that - done.

i really enjoyed it, but it certainly didn't keep up the pace all the way through. from the middle of the game out, i felt like there was a lot fewer new things to experience. also, i got 83.8% completion with a time of 26 hours, which seems a little short compared to previous rockstar games.

regarding the ending:
(click to show/hide)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #69 on: Saturday, May 29, 2010, 06:40:20 PM »
Been playing it pretty obsessively, I'm having such an awesome time. You can almost do anything you'd want to do in a western setting... except sleep with whores, boo. There's survival challenges and you can capture wanted criminals, I also love the random encounters you'll run into in the wild or even in towns. Shoplifters will run out of a store with the clerk chasing after him or a guy will start smacking up a whore and will pull out of knife, even saw a pack of cowboys riding through a town shooting towards the sky dragging a lassoed dude behind them. It's an extremely impressive and alive world. Anyway I'm gonna get back to it, can't stop playing.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, June 02, 2010, 04:01:11 PM »
finished it up earlier today. still got some wilderness challenges to complete, but apart from that - done.

i really enjoyed it, but it certainly didn't keep up the pace all the way through. from the middle of the game out, i felt like there was a lot fewer new things to experience. also, i got 83.8% completion with a time of 26 hours, which seems a little short compared to previous rockstar games.

regarding the ending:
(click to show/hide)

I just finished it, though a little word of advice to anyone who gets there, its not over when you think it is.

(click to show/hide)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, June 08, 2010, 08:10:45 AM »
http://kotaku.com/5556788/my-highlight-of-red-dead-redemption-isthis-song

A song from the games soundtrack. It's really really good.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, June 08, 2010, 12:37:03 PM »
Nice.  Stop making me want this game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Friday, June 11, 2010, 03:44:50 PM by MysterD »

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #74 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 05:52:41 AM »
I just finished the game about a week ago.  The story really pulls you in and you become emotionally attached to John.  A side from a couple of glitches the game is amazing, and the landscape is just beautiful.
« Last Edit: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 03:49:01 PM by Dragonlor »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #75 on: Saturday, July 03, 2010, 09:39:54 PM »
I finally got around to playing this a couple of weeks ago since I finished some other games I was playing and am about 60% complete so far and loving the hell out of it.  Hogtying people up and putting them on the railroad tracks to meet their demise is good times.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #76 on: Monday, July 05, 2010, 03:47:01 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #77 on: Monday, July 05, 2010, 03:50:14 PM »
Anyone else find it kind of creepy that all this information is reported back to developers?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #78 on: Monday, July 05, 2010, 03:58:12 PM »
Anyone else find it kind of creepy that all this information is reported back to developers?

About all the hats shot off - I wonder how much of it was purposely done and not...
We'll likely never know that...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: Monday, July 05, 2010, 09:37:16 PM »

Yes.  Makes me want to play the game under an offline profile, if I ever get it.