Author Topic: black templars  (Read 30763 times)

Offline beo

• Veteran
black templars
« on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 08:33:32 PM »
ok. got paid today, was bored at home and thought "fuck it, why not?". went to the local GW and looked for a decent looking kit to paint. found these:

i'm only halfway through the first one so far, but i thought i'd post anyway, since i'm pleased with the way it's turning out and i'm having a lot of fun!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: black templars
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 08:41:39 PM »
Nice choice. It doesn't get more badass that Black Templars.

Your clothwork always impresses me, but that highlighting you have going on his right leg is amazing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 08:42:26 PM »
Yeah, the robes kick ass.  Mine are... not so good, as I will demonstrate shortly with my one finished Battle Sister.  Awesome, though, can't wait to see more!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 08:45:48 PM »
Cool stuff man, can't wait to see your progress.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 08:58:30 PM »
thanks. i think it's going to take me a week or so to finish these guys, but any suggestions on what to go for next? i'm going to try and make a 500 point battleforce, but i'm unfamiliar with current edition rules!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 09:07:37 PM »
Man, you're so much faster than I am.

I've gone through the Black Templar codex, but I still haven't learned the core rules which makes a lot of what I read uselss. They have a somewhat strange system for their basic troops that involves mixing rookies with hardened soldiers. I forget if they sell the two together or if you have to end up buying two sets. You'll probably need at least two more basic troops units to make a legit army so it'd probably be best to start there.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 10:24:26 PM »
heh, well to be honest it will probably take me at nearer a month to do these guys. but i'm trying to spend some time with them, since i really love the models.

anyway, two or three tactical squads of marines (one with scouts mixed in for good measure) are going to be a necessity, but other than that i think i'm going to have to go for a razorback to put these guys in. having trouble deciding between termi's or a dreadnought though. hmmm...

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 11:32:13 PM »
Damn, your good beo. I like the highlight you did on his beard, hell everything you've done so far looks really good. Definitely keep updating with pics.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 07:28:27 PM »
finished the first one. i know i shouldn't say this, but it really does look better in real life. it's so difficult to get decent photo's of miniatures!

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 07:35:55 PM »
Damn dude, that is slick, I really like how the metal stands out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 07:50:30 PM »
Put me to fucking shame, that's for sure.  Damn.  I'm really impressed.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, November 09, 2006, 03:06:56 PM »
The cape looks fucking amazing.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 06:05:41 PM »
ok, since i last posted in this thread, i've bought a razorback tank and a couple of 5 man marine squads. i've gone full on uber-geek again! anyway, i'm half way through the tank, and i've made a start on the marines - got the first one finished today. again, excuse the quality of the pics, i really should use something other than my phone camera!

« Last Edit: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 07:21:05 PM by beo »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 06:53:33 PM »
Awesome stuff, can't wait to see the tank.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 07:13:37 PM »
Very impressive.  My painting has more or less stopped for the moment.  Too much going on, too busy dealing with watching my life slowly fall apart.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 09:25:21 PM »
Very awesome indeed. Looks almost like something you'd find in a codex or something.

And you better start painting again, Que. Pretty soon my room of awesomeness will be done and you'll need to be there to paint.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 09:28:22 PM »
I know.  And when your room of awesomeness is done I'll probably be excited to paint there.  Right now I'm just flat.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 09:51:50 PM »
Well then you're definitely not like your avatar.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 09:54:48 PM »
Heh.  No, I do not have boobs, much less giant, luscious ones.  I was referring more to my general emotional state of mind.  And no, it doesn't have boobs either.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 10:30:04 PM »
funny you should say that que, since i've been signed off work with depression the last few weeks (not something i really want to go into right now) and that's what's triggered my urge to paint. i find putting some decent music on and spending a few hours with a brush in hand to be highly therapeutic.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, November 19, 2006, 10:45:31 PM »
Dude. Listen to the man... of course, I sorta imagine writting can do the same thing for you and I really shouldn't be distracting you from that too much.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 12:40:27 AM »
Well, it isn't the painting isn't awesome.  I really enjoy it.  It's more difficult because it's one of those things I have a lot of trouble justifying in terms of my allotted time.  There's just so much to do and painting always ends up falling low on the list of things, especially because it takes up so much time.  That's why I love to do it with Sy, because I like seeing him anyway, and hanging out with him takes higher priority over a lot of other stuff, so then I can hang out with him *and* get some painting done, which makes me feel pretty productive.

But yeah... the writing thing is eating me alive right now.  I just need to figure out how to better make things coexist in my life.  What with the job that I can't stand more than anything else in the word, it seems like so little time is left to do the things I love to do.  I fucking hate my job so much.  If I could write for a living... man.  I'd never feel I had to write more than whatever I did for the "job" and could then devote all other time to my wife and my pursuits.  That would be so awesome.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 12:48:26 AM »
Well, it isn't the painting isn't awesome.  I really enjoy it.  It's more difficult because it's one of those things I have a lot of trouble justifying in terms of my allotted time.  There's just so much to do and painting always ends up falling low on the list of things, especially because it takes up so much time.  That's why I love to do it with Sy, because I like seeing him anyway, and hanging out with him takes higher priority over a lot of other stuff, so then I can hang out with him *and* get some painting done, which makes me feel pretty productive.

But yeah... the writing thing is eating me alive right now.  I just need to figure out how to better make things coexist in my life.  What with the job that I can't stand more than anything else in the word, it seems like so little time is left to do the things I love to do.  I fucking hate my job so much.  If I could write for a living... man.  I'd never feel I had to write more than whatever I did for the "job" and could then devote all other time to my wife and my pursuits.  That would be so awesome.

I seriously think you can write for a living, you just need that first break.  I am not just saying this to make you feel better, I think if you can get your novel fleshed out and published it would get someone's attention.  I also think you could write game reviews for a living, you write better than a lot of the fucktards that are on gaming review websites now.  Just keep you head up as much as you can and keep trying.

Sorry if I'm making this topic derailment longer by the way, I felt I just needed to say that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 01:00:04 AM »
Well thank you, I appreciate it on both fronts.  God knows I'm shooting for it at this point.  If I can't make it happen, I'll die trying.

And to get the thread back on topic.

WOW BEO!  OMFG those could be in White Dwarf!  Heh... but no, seriously, I don't remember how much of this you said you used to do.  I'm judging that you did an awful lot if you can paint these so well.  Did you sell all your old stuff from when you used to play?

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 09:34:26 PM »
no, never sold my old stuff. got it sitting in boxes at my parents - and yes, i've got loads. spent far too much money on the stuff!

here's the next one anyway. i don't expect comments every time (although i'm hardly going to stop anyone!) - it's just nice to be able to share what i'm doing, since everyone i know in real life has moved on from such childish pursuits.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #25 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 09:56:34 PM »
That's always been my favorite style of Space Marine helmet.

Anywho, did you do the shoulderpad freehand?

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 10:06:23 PM »
yeah, the old-school "mousehead" marines kick ass. note that they should really be used with the flat-shinned legs and studded shoulder pads (as pictured), if you're keeping the different MK's of armour together. sorry, that was incredibly geeky, but i'm *very* much too into the fluff of 40k at the moment!

the shoulderpad isn't freehand (apart from the text) - it's a custom pad with the design modeled on, part of the black templar's accessories box, which is where i also got the plastic robed bodies.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 10:46:40 PM »
Oh? So is that a tactical Marine dolled up with the BT accessory sprue? I was always kinda curious what was in that box.

I don't quite know the details to the different versions of the armor. I wish I did, but that's fluff I haven't jumped that much into yet. I do know the "older" styles generally seem more bad ass. Have you seen some of the Pre-Heresy conversions that Games Workshop has done? They're pretty sweet. Some of the paint jobs are lacking for something of that level, but the conversion work is great.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 11:02:53 PM »
ooh, no - i hadn't seen those before. sweetness... i've been reading into the horus heresy era stuff a lot today, so it was cool to see some real old-school looking marines.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: Monday, November 20, 2006, 11:23:52 PM »
Are you reading those Heresy novels that have come out over the past half year or so? They're pretty good so far and it's cool to see the details of a few of the major leagion's histories.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 01:37:55 AM »
no, haven't read any of the novels actually, was just checking out some background info on wikipedia. stuff about the origins of the emperor leading upto his physical death at the hands of horus. the 40k universe is easily my favourite sci-fi mythology, it's been going so long now that it's really rich.

in a slightly related note; if you want to get a real feel for the 40k universe as the average 41st millennium's denizens experience it, you should look into the spin-off game, "necromunda". it's all about gang-fighting and trading within one of the imperium's countless hive worlds. gives you a really detailed taste of things - plus you only need between one and fifteen models to play. you ideally need at least four regular players though, since it's heavily campaign based, but if you can find a gaming club nearby i *highly* recommend it. it's probably my favourite GW produced game and it's what got a lot of my slightly less-geeky friends into the world of 40k.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, November 21, 2006, 10:40:44 PM »
I've sorta thought about looking into it, but for the time being the thought of a swarm of angry armored flesh covered with sharp claws and acid guns spewing consumes me for now.

*Looks through some of the Necromunda models*

Hmm. Most of them are just alright... however, these guys are completely awesome. Problem is, I know I'll be fighting with Que to use them if we played.

Edit: I think I take back my comments about the models. Some of these are pretty cool, very in line of some of the Witch Hunter stuff.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2006, 12:24:44 AM »
Yeah, some of the guys are definitely less impressive, but there are several sets that also happen to seem pretty badass.  The ones you linked to are good, Sy, as are the Enforcers and Cawdor gangers.  Ratskins and Delaque aren't too bad either.  Goliath and Escher kinda' suck.  Still... doesn't look bad overall.  I could be curious to try it out if there isn't too much cash investment.  More 40K stuff is always good, especially if this is really small scale and all.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2006, 05:03:25 AM »
no, never sold my old stuff. got it sitting in boxes at my parents - and yes, i've got loads. spent far too much money on the stuff!

here's the next one anyway. i don't expect comments every time (although i'm hardly going to stop anyone!) - it's just nice to be able to share what i'm doing, since everyone i know in real life has moved on from such childish pursuits.

:O

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, December 23, 2006, 09:17:48 PM »
update. again with crappy quality pics - the lighting is way off.

anyway. here's my first finished legal squad, with three new guys.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, December 23, 2006, 09:20:26 PM »
Sy is going to cream himself.  Those are awesome.  You make me want to... give up.  Or get better.  Maybe.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, December 23, 2006, 11:14:53 PM »
I've had Warhammer on the brain so much the past couple weeks I'm about ready to explode. I need to get back into my little 'Nids... what's bad is that all those new Eldar models have been calling to me.

Those guys look freaking awesome Beo. The highlighting on the upper chest and helmets is way out of my league right now. That's definitely what I'm going to work on in the next thing I decide to paint.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, January 28, 2007, 01:13:13 PM »
small update. only one extra guy. i wasn't happy with the focus and lighting of most of the previous photos i'd taken though, so i re-shot a few of them as well.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #38 on: Sunday, January 28, 2007, 01:41:34 PM »
You continue to blow me away, the work you did on the eyes... just wow.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, January 28, 2007, 04:41:43 PM »
Damn. Pyro's right. Awesome work on those eyes.

Thank you for the close up shots though. I feel like I'm getting to a point where I think I might be able to pull stuff like that one day and seeing examples like that allow me to disect the process a bit more.