Author Topic: Mass Effect Franchise To Possibly Go Multiplayer???  (Read 672 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Mass Effect Franchise To Possibly Go Multiplayer???
« on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 03:25:16 AM »
Mass Effect Franchise might go multiplayer.
Not sure if this'll be for ME3, another upcoming ME game after the trilogy is done with, or what...

Mass Effect Going Multiplayer
By Pete Haas: 2010-05-28 18:18:16

Mass Effect Going Multiplayer

The next Mass Effect might not be a solely single-player experience. A new job posting on LinkedIn suggests that the series is taking a turn toward multiplayer.

Maybe "suggests" is too weak a verb - the BioWare Montreal opening (picture below) is for a "Multiplayer Programmer (Mass Effect Franchise)." Not much room for interpretation, there. The ideal candidate will have to come up with "solutions to deal with network latency, de-synchronization of data between networked machines/players, packet compression, cheating, and interrupted connections." They'll also have to "work with databases that allow for chat rooms, client/server games, player matching, player stats, etc."

One other tidbit, from the position summary: "[Multiplayer Programmers] work with both the front and back ends to take existing single player user experiences and make them multiplayer safe." I guess you could argue that means co-op. However, in a way all online play is just a translation of the single-player experience; both have the same basic mechanics, after all.

Back in February, EA chief operating officer John Schappert said something "far-reaching" would be coming for Mass Effect. Maybe this is what they meant?