Author Topic: Miami U (of Ohio) Steel Drum Band concert  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Miami U (of Ohio) Steel Drum Band concert
« on: Wednesday, July 14, 2010, 10:19:22 PM »
My brother told me he and his Waycross crew were going to be recording this band at the Commons in Greenhills this past evening, and I decided to check it out.  I was basically floored.  This is a small community venue where groups play in an overgrown gazebo.  There were acres of free grass all around, not a big crowd at all.  I was expecting amateur hour, and was instead treated to this, close up to boot.  Good fun was had by all.

Miami University Steel Drum Band?  Who would have thunk!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Miami U (of Ohio) Steel Drum Band concert
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, July 15, 2010, 08:05:22 AM »
It annoys me how one always has to qualify Miami University with (of Ohio).  First of all, it is "Miami University" vs. "The University of Miami".  Secondly, Miami University was founded well before the University of Miami, 1809 vs. 1925.

If anything, it should be Miami University and the Univ. of Miami (of Florida).

I'll have to check out your link when I get home from work.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, July 15, 2010, 09:23:40 AM »
The qualifier is there just for clarity, kind of like "US $" rather than simply "$".  While Miami U may (conceivably) have a better claim to the name than U of Miami, the fact is that anyone not from this area will think of Florida first when they read "Miami".

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, July 15, 2010, 07:18:01 PM »
Yeah probably, but it isn't like Miami U. is Mount Saint Joseph in Delhi.  It's Miami U., one of the most reputable public schools in the country, academically speaking.

Edit:  Oh yeah: and the whole "Cradle of Coaches" thing.

Edit 2:  So I finally decided to stop complaining about the (of Ohio) thing and watched the video.  Pretty unique stuff, but good.  Who would have thought?  A big ol' steel drum band.  Crazy.

Oh, and I loved Waycross when I had it when I lived in Forest Park.  Make sure you tell your brother that their work is valued.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 16, 2010, 08:19:37 PM by scottws »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 17, 2010, 04:17:05 PM »
I'll let him know.  I'm sure he'll appreciate it.