Author Topic: Total purge of Firefox.  (Read 8242 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Total purge of Firefox.
« on: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 09:10:10 AM »
I got a couple virii somehow (no fucking clue how, I'm always very conscious of what I'm doing), and also noticed a few things clogging up my Firefox.  Periodically windows have started spawning with ads for random anti-malware stuff regardless of the site I'm browsing.  I haven't been able to get AVG or Spybot to detect anything further, so I'm figuring I need to just gut Firefox of whatever could potentially be stuck in there.  But I'm terrible when it comes to this stuff because I pay no attention until a problem crops up.  Any suggestions?

Also, is there any good anti-spyware tool out there?  I used to use a combo of Spybot and Ad-Aware back when Ad-Aware wasn't shit, and they used to make up for each other's deficiencies.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Total purge of Firefox.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 10:28:24 AM »
I actually use Google chrome, when I was flying back from CA, I stayed at my dads for a couple days where I used my brothers laptop, he had chrome on it and I really liked it, I then installed it on my desktop and its been doing great so far. I really love the thumbnail page showing all your most visited sites. But I'm also curious at what anti spyware stuff people use, I installed Ad-Aware then immediately uninstalled it, wow that shit got bad.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 10:58:01 AM »
Uninstall Firefox, then make sure to delete your user data directory.

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

Theres also a local settings directory you could get rid of.

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

This will get rid of everything and let you start fresh.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 11:08:30 AM »
Excellent, thanks.  I hate to do that since I spent so much time setting this motherfucker up the way I wanted it, though.  =T  I don't really like any other browsers much at the moment from what I've tried, though, so... meh.  Oh well.  I guess I don't have a choice.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 03:08:08 PM »
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is the best anti-spyware/malware program I am aware of.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 07:18:32 AM »
Just yesterday one of my desktop techs said that he found scareware (fake anti-virus programs) that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware could not remove, but Microsoft Security Essentials was able to remove it.  This was the first I've heard of that happening.  It used to be that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware was the only thing that could remove scareware and it never failed me.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Friday, July 30, 2010, 11:27:18 PM »
Well, I was able to remove an offending program myself without much issue, but there's something still around that's fucking with me.  AVG periodically detects trojans, Firefox is still opening popups at random intervals for no reason, and my sound drives now constantly fail me after the computer is one for a few hours.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 04:16:59 PM »
You clearly still have a virus or virii.  If it were a computer I was working on, I would run Anti-Malware until it detected nothing, and then run a full system scan with the installed anti-virus product.  If possible, I would also run from a boot-time scanner (such as Eset SysRescue or Avast!'s built-in boot-time scanner).

If it continued to happen after that, I would restore to an image prior to the virus infection (if possible) or format and reinstall Windows.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, August 01, 2010, 12:18:35 AM »
Yeah, those are pretty much the remaining options.  I've tried everything else already.