Author Topic: For any of you considering the purchase of a New 3DS XL, this auction is for you  (Read 2223 times)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111528508900

$4.99 for an authentic OEM charger, shipped.  Complete dick move by Nintendo to not include the charger, but at least you can stick it to them by buying it like this.  I've purchased two.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 15, 2016, 01:01:19 AM »
Random revival!

I have an opportunity to get my hands on the New 3DS XL Hyrule Edition with a charger for $250. No but bundled games or anything. I don't normally like "gold" colored devices but I have to admit it looks alluring.

The question is, how worthy is the "new" 3DS XL?

Can anyone recommend games that are absolute must-plays?

I haven't used a Nintendo handheld since the Gameboy Advance; I'm clearly out of touch with the Nintendo fan in me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: For any of you considering the purchase of a New 3DS XL, this auction is for you
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 15, 2016, 08:44:25 AM »
There arent too many games that take advantage of the New 3DS over the original. Xenoblade Chronicles is exclusive, Monster Hunter 4U has improved textures and framerate, it can play SNES virtual console titles, Codename STEAM has faster enemy turn speedup. But the built in second stick and the 3D eye tracking is really nice and reasons I still want to upgrade to a New.

As for games:

Monster Hunter 4U/Generations: MH is a series that takes some time to love. There are demos on the eshop you can try out but they don't really give a full experience of the game. There is a game look up gathering materials to make potions and such, going out and hunting a monster, taking the monster parts back to craft better armor and weapons, going back out to hunt bigger monsters. The combat is real fun once you get the hang of it. 4U is reall good, Generations just released today. 3DS also has 3U but there isnt much reason to play that one at this point.

Super Mario 3D Land: Its the Mario game you should play. The system also has a New Super Mario Bros game but...eh, I've grown tired of those. 3D Land was more fun to me.

Puzzle & Dragons Z/Super Mario edition: If you like puzzle games, I highly recommend this.

Style Savvy: Run a clothing shop! Fill it with clothes to sell, customers will come in and want outfits so you dress them up and if they like it you've made a sale. It's surprisingly good.

A list, you'll know if you're interested or not:
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Super Smash Bros

eshop games:
Pushmo
Crashmo
Stretchmo
BOXBOY
Crimson Shroud
Mighty Switch Force 1 and 2
Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Pocket Card Jockey
Various Sega 3D Classics

Hit the eshop for a good number of demos as well. Etrian Odyssey has some really leangthy demos to try out but you might also find some cool games this way.

Also keep in mind that if you haven't played since the GBA, the 3DS plays DS games just fine. Thats a HUGE catalog of games you can play and a lot of them can be found for pretty cheap now.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 15, 2016, 10:03:46 AM »
Dude, thank you so much for that extensive response.

There's certainly a heck of a catalog of games to get on the 3DS.

I found the old 3DS XL for $200, I figure that's overpriced considering an extra $50 would get me the new one in the collectors' Hyrule Edition.

I'll think about it and let you know if I take the plunge :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: For any of you considering the purchase of a New 3DS XL, this auction is for you
« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 15, 2016, 10:32:43 AM »
I love the hell out of mine. I bought a Japanese New 3DS LL and have not regretted it at all, even though I haven't had the time to play with it as much as I'd like. Lots of fun games, really great library. A shame Nintendo still has the region restriction thing, but DS doesn't have that, so almost any DS cart will work in any 3DS, regardless of region (so while I don't have any NA 3DS carts, I do still have a bunch of NA DS carts).

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Friday, July 15, 2016, 10:52:11 PM »
Nice, thanks for that info, Que.

With regards to memory cards, are there any format or capacity restrictions or will any SD/MicroSD work with it?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 16, 2016, 07:48:20 PM »
Nintendo doesn't use a proprietary card or anything like Sony made the mistake of doing, but it does have to be inserted (at least in the New 3DS) by taking the back off the unit, and I believe only officially supports up to 32GB. So you won't be hot-swapping it. Just buy yourself a nice big one, throw it in there, and then forget about it. Slightly dumb design decision, but if you get a big one it never really matters.

EDIT - http://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-3ds/MicroSD_Cards_Compatible_With_New_Nintendo_3DS

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, July 16, 2016, 08:46:36 PM »
Yeah I put a 32GB in mine and have so much space its crazy. I'm not buying a lot of games digitally so maybe thats an issue? But Id stick to 32GB.

New 3DS is microSD, original model 3DS are just plain SD (which I suppose could be a micro in an adapter. Same thing).

I also wanted to mention that there is region restriction on the 3DS so keep that in mind depending on where you're buying it from. And while the 3DS is region locked, the DS was region free so you can get old DS games from anywhere and play them on any system.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, July 17, 2016, 07:00:26 AM »
Thank you so much for all that info, guys! Really useful stuff. I think I have a 32GB Sandisk MicroSD, I'll have to check if it's compatible.