Author Topic: Torchlight 2  (Read 27681 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Torchlight 2
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 10:32:55 AM »
One thing funny I saw someone bring up: Dark Souls makes better use of the online component but even there it was completely optional.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 10:41:23 AM »
Yeah I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they make bad games. I have no doubt that Diablo 3 will be a very polished, stable, deeply replayable game. I just don't like it when companies think they can make giant decisions regardless of the desires of fans just because they're competent at making games and people buy them. WoW killed Blizzard for me. Not because I hate WoW. I really don't. It just made them believe that any decision they want to make is totally fine whether it really seems like a good idea or not. I very much dislike the way they've handled Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. It irks me to see a company make decisions and totally blow off fans. They have so many fans that they can do that, yeah, but there's also a lot of bad blood from people who've supported their company since the early days.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #42 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 11:56:09 AM »
Its definitely a hard balance for these big development houses to make. And as much as we all can hate on the greedy dev corps and publishers, the gaming audience has its own set of problems too and listening to them when they have such a large fan base can't be easy.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #43 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 12:02:07 PM »
I'm starting to realize that I'm in a phase of life that severely inhibits, if not prohibits the same enjoyment with this game that I had with Diablo 2.

But yeah, in the end despite never really using offline mode in d2, the exclusion in d3 is nothing but a control thing.  

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 12:08:33 PM »
All factors considered I think Torchlight 2 might be the choice for me. Diablo III is going for 60 Euros here (USD $80) as well as for the digital edition straight from Blizzard (regional bullshit), which is ridiculous considering all the redundant features and requirements i.e. always-online connection. I'm guessing Torchlight 2 will start off for a lot less than $80.

I'm playing the D3 beta right now and while I do enjoy the story and the gameplay mechanics the counterweights are tugging hard against their favour.

In the beta I've already experienced several instances where I can't play because I'm "unable to connect to server." Granted it is a beta, but if this is what I can expect from the final game I'm not about to excuse Blizzard from the same failings of other developers/publishers, namely Ubisoft. Why is it abhorrent for Ubisoft to do it but somehow acceptable for Blizzard to do it? I'm gonna point my finger at Fanboyism. It's abhorrent when any developer/publisher does it. Draconian DRM measures are unacceptable no matter who issues them. I would fully understand and support the always-online requirement if only happens when I click the magic "multiplayer" button, not when I'm playing singleplayer offline.

On that note, as a retort to Blizzard's comments regarding Diablo III on-the-go saying "it's just not that kind game": well, it is totally the kind of game I'd play when I'm between work shifts, transiting in an airport, or any kind of long waiting sessions. Based on the beta and the previous Diablo games (may as well include all Diablo clones too), it's not an immersive experience for me, it's a click fest.

Runic Games are going to win a lot of people over if they keep their positive attitude toward the community and game support.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 01:13:48 PM »
X you can get the US version. From what I understand, unlike StarCraft 2, there is no region thing. I think.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »
One thing funny I saw someone bring up: Dark Souls makes better use of the online component but even there it was completely optional.
Just like how in Borderlands, it's optional if I want to take 3 other players with me online to play the game with. The game feels like a SP-style game, it should be able to be played as one.
I like optionality - it's a good thing. :D So looking forward to Dark Souls PC, regardless of all of the "PC port" rumors floating. I've had instances here and there where I just cannot get a Net connections - especially back in my DSL days. Even of late, Comcast has been having issues for me here and there [maybe once for a half hour to a few hours, every now and then], my connection's gone. Give them a call - yup, they're saying they are fixing a server issue they had.

When a game requires the Internet and it plays like it doesn't need it, then there's a problem. D1 and D2 can be played offline. HGL can be played offline. Sure, all of those games are BETTER online - but at least if I want, I can ALSO play them offline; especially if I can't hit the Net. D3 just doesn't look like the kind of game that needs to require the Net.

I can see w/ Torchlight 2's much cheaper entry $20 price-point, LAN plan, Offline Play, Modding - all things Blizzard's chucking away w/ D3 - this being VERY attractive to many gamers. Gives me even more reason to wait for D3 to price-drop to something more reasonable; especially given the "Always Online" requirement. I'm sure D3 is going to be awesome - but, I think I can wait for it...

Well... I will vouch for Blizzard when I comes to the quality of their games. But I agree, they are making some development choices in their games where they could have made compromises for the players sake. I played the Diablo 3 beta, and I am really enjoying it, everything feels just right in terms of quality but the online requirements.. just isnt necessary. I wouldn't mind it as much if the game was always available for play but from what it looks like, all access to the game will be down when the servers are down and like WoW, this could be a once a week thing. But this is not an MMO which is the only exception I make for that case. I really hope they implement an offline feature in the future, hopefully enough player reaction will appeal to Blizzard's... hopefully more accommodating face.
An offline feature added in a patch would be a great idea. :D

I just don't understand why for the SP, they don't do what they did w/ SP and MP with D2 - keep your character-profiles separate for both with SP stored local, MP stored on the cloud - if they're worried about online cheating.

Actually, they're probably more worried about straight-up piracy...which is why the "Always Online" requirement would try to attempt to solve that problem. Once the game's older and cheaper, they could always put that "offline patch" in.

Quote from: Xessive
Runic Games are going to win a lot of people over if they keep their positive attitude toward the community and game support.
Agreed 100%.
Hell, you could buy Torchlight 1 at Retail Box on Disc, which was the only place it was DRM-FREE.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, April 21, 2012, 11:48:14 PM »
X you can get the US version. From what I understand, unlike StarCraft 2, there is no region thing. I think.
I know, the version available to me is listed as "global" but Blizzard won't allow me to purchase in any currency other than Euros. I think it has something to do with my card's billing address (since it has to match the actual data otherwise my bank will decline the payment). These regional restrictions get on my nerves, especially for digital-only items.

I think that's my thing now: I'm anti-regional-restriction guy.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 01:56:26 AM »
I can't freakin' buy games on Origin from Pakistan. I could from Bangladesh or India. So pissed off! I need to buy Mass Effect 3!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, April 22, 2012, 02:34:15 AM »
I can't freakin' buy games on Origin from Pakistan. I could from Bangladesh or India. So pissed off! I need to buy Mass Effect 3!
Yeah it's a piss off.

I got ME3 from GamersGate.co.uk and just activated the key in Origin.

Give it a shot.

Btw, so far the only game that I am unable to pre-order from any online store is Max Payne 3. That's just part of Rockstar's international restriction.

Anyway, before this thread spirals out of control, Torchlight II is looking more enticing with each glimpse. We need to decide if this is gonna be the OW coop game to get!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #50 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 06:06:25 PM »
I got in on the TL2 Beta.
So y'all know - there's been a lot of Twitter codes for TL2 Beta being posted and given out on Twitter by game reviewers and others in the industry today.
So, yeah, you might keep your eyes peeled, if you want to try to get in.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 06:47:14 PM »
want

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #53 on: Saturday, May 12, 2012, 03:06:44 PM »
Some screens of mine from the TL2 Beta:

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, May 12, 2012, 03:51:01 PM »
Wow, that looks really nice.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, May 12, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »
I just finished the TL2 Beta - damn, it's awesome. Beta left me wanting MORE, after about 5 1/2 hours.
The Beta basically gives you the first chapter of the game.

EVERYTHING has been drastically improved - storytelling [yes, there's a story here!]; voice-acting; level & world design; UI interface; configurable controls; etc etc.

If you played Torchlight 1, you know what to expect for gameplay - ARPG that is loot-crazy and action-packed. Plenty of weapons to get even more upgraded at shops, socket gems/things into, etc etc. There's a few different classes and pets. I took a Hawk w/ me, hehe. Gameplay practically plays the same as Torchlight 1 - but better and improved.

SP mode and LAN Mode has been disabled for the Beta. You'll get that in the full version, if you don't want to play w/ people online.

You can configure your online games however you want - # of players [max of 6 right now]; you can configure it to have NOBODY join your game; Friends Only join your game; Level of characters allowed; etc etc.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 03:47:04 AM »
I saw a 20 minute gamespot video at PAX. Not impressed.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 06:34:23 AM »
I saw a 20 minute gamespot video at PAX. Not impressed.
IMHO, If you like Diablo 2, you'll probably like Torchlight 2.
It reminds me A LOT of D2 in terms of design and everything [since most of these guys are Ex-Blizz guys] - but, you know, TL2 is MUCH more modern graphically; has some of its own twists for a ARPG; and has a Steampunk-ish setting/style.
Kind of makes sense TL2 is A LOT like D2, since TL1 was A LOT like D1.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #58 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 08:32:26 AM »
You mean to say that Torchlight is like Diablo? Fuck this changes everything.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 11:18:52 AM »
IMHO, If you like Diablo 2, you'll probably like Torchlight 2.
It reminds me A LOT of D2 in terms of design and everything [since most of these guys are Ex-Blizz guys] - but, you know, TL2 is MUCH more modern graphically; has some of its own twists for a ARPG; and has a Steampunk-ish setting/style.
Kind of makes sense TL2 is A LOT like D2, since TL1 was A LOT like D1.

I am pretty sure your humble opinion is respected by many.

I am going to get the game for the offline mode and the LAN stuff. I just think I am going to be hooked on D3, and this just looks like D2.5 at best. I know it is $20 while D3 is $60... but for me... D3 looks a lot more than 3 times the fun. But that's just me.

Again, I respect the stuff we used to take for g ranted that they are offering.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #60 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »
Well, also Diablo 3 is coming out now. Torchlight 2 still has the ambiguous "summer 2012" release date.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 12:21:12 PM »
For me D3 doesn't look like its doing that much more to be worth the extra cost. So I'm more likely to grab T2 and wait for D3 to drop in price (and being a Blizzard game, thats going to take a while).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #62 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 12:37:54 PM »
Yeah, it took StarCraft 2 nearly 2 years to finally reach normal game prices. Here in the Middle East it's been around USD $65 until about 2 months ago when it finally dropped to USD $50.

With Diablo 3, since Blizzard have left me no choice (well the one choice is to buy the digital version for 60 Euros or USD ~$80) but to wait for retail, I'll have to see how it's priced here. If it's around the $60 mark I might bite. Anything over that and I'll bide my time or hint to people to get it as a gift for my birthday later in the year.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #63 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 01:20:06 PM »
Just got StarCraft II EUR on Play Asia for $30 with free shipping. What a steal and it is still on that way!

As for D3, I am just really attracted to how the game looks. My BIGGEST gripe with the game is how weird all the classes are. Weird classes are cool when they've got normal classes to play off of. But here, you've got the classic demonic villain and don't have the classic fighter class.

The game desperately needs a standard Paladin or Fighter class. The barbarian is cool, but he is no Paladin.

I had a look at Torchlight 2, and it doesn't seem so drastically different from the first game. It just seems like T 1.5 to me. The biggest appeal is the LAN play and the fact that it can run on my laptop -- which is brilliant. I know the game is 3D, but even Titan Quest looked more enticing than this. It just seems to ordinary.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 01:53:23 PM »
For me D3 doesn't look like its doing that much more to be worth the extra cost. So I'm more likely to grab T2 and wait for D3 to drop in price (and being a Blizzard game, thats going to take a while).

My thoughts exactly.
I do think, overall, both TL2 & D3 are going to be AT LEAST pretty damn good.

I think we ALL here can agree on that much... ;)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #65 on: Saturday, May 19, 2012, 10:45:47 PM »
I got in the weekend beta, which will end Tuesday. Its more Torchlight, which means its pretty awesome. And hey, no lag when playing by yourself! Imagine that!

Something cool I saw the dev post on another forum.

So, after I logged off, it occurred to me to ask... is the creator of a mp session hosting it? Did I pull the rug out from under Ixian?
Nope, it just hands it right off.

We pretty much put a premium on never screwing up an ongoing game if at all possible.
In fact, if you get disconnected, the game will just fracture and you'll continue playing by yourself.

Ditto for kicking - a kicked player just gets shunted off into their own private game.

The lobby can die a horrible death, and when it returns, your games will just reconnect to it, as will your login state.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, May 19, 2012, 11:19:11 PM »
Nice!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #67 on: Sunday, May 20, 2012, 02:42:41 AM »
Oh Torchlight 2, how you taunt us with your proper treatment of players!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: Sunday, May 20, 2012, 05:34:35 AM »
Yessir.  A world of difference.  It can serve my needs in the genre very nicely too.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #69 on: Sunday, May 20, 2012, 05:58:17 AM »
@Idol

Oh, that's awesome! :)
Seems like Runic has everything all figured out here...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #70 on: Sunday, May 20, 2012, 08:50:34 PM »
Holy crap this game is amazing. The differences from the original are kind of subtle at first but it makes for a much better game. I spent a ton of time just clearing out the overworld map of the area I was in. It was massive!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #71 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 05:43:37 AM »
It is out? WHAT?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #72 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 06:09:19 AM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #73 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 01:54:04 PM »
Yeah, beta. Which it sounds like the beta is ending on Tuesday morning and they will polish it up and release hopefully not terribly long after that. I hit the end of the beta content today on my Engineer. Pretty fun class. I could spawn little helper bots. A healbot that would pulse every 10 seconds or so that gave you a heal recharge, a gunbot that would only stick around a minute at a time but was really helpful when you were getting swarmed, and some minebots that lasted a very short time but they would chase down enemies and explode in their faces.

Guess I can run with a new class until the beta ends now. Hmmm...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #74 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 03:32:02 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #75 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 03:59:10 PM »
For example, just before sitting down to write this, I cut down an army of increasingly powerful undead creatures, all summoned by a giant glowing obelisk. The last of them defeated, the obelisk manifested surrender by suddenly regurgitating a stream of twenty different magic items, vomiting them into the air like a violently ill volcano.
These are cool to find and I've seen a few different variations. Theres the undead obelisk, I found an evil altar with cultists, and...I know I saw another one but I can't remember it. I think it had ghosts. The object spawns waves of enemies and as soon as the last in a wave dies the next one spawns in. At first I thought "Oh shit, do these ever stop?" but eventually you will kill the last wave and the object dumps a ton of awesome loot on the ground. Pretty sweet.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 09:28:27 AM »
Yay! Beta got extended until Thursday!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »
Yay! Beta got extended until Thursday!

Good to hear. :D
I wonder when they'll give us a full-blown specific release date...

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 02:59:57 PM »
Probably not for a little while. Im reading that they are expecting to make some major changes to the talent trees.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 03:02:14 PM »
@Idol
Oh, really?
I wonder what kind of changes we'll see...
Hmmm...
Did the game feel too easy to some or something?

EDIT - 5-22-2012:
Destructoid -> Six Things Torchlight 2 does better than Diablo 3.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 03:48:10 PM by MysterD »