Author Topic: Torchlight 2  (Read 27571 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Torchlight 2
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 03:20:14 PM »
I dont think it was because they made the game too easy, more the choices weren't that interesting. Theres a few skills and each one has 15 levels you can dump points into...but tiny minor upgrades to abilities is kinda boring.

But I dont know anything specific, its just what Ive seen other talking about.

EDIT

The destructoid article mentions the ability to place your own skill points. I think thats fine, but I'd like to see an "auto-level" button that would just put the points in for you based on your class. You would have to hit the button yourself and you could always place them manually (like you need a boost to dex to wear those magic pants), but it gets kind of tedious.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #81 on: Friday, June 15, 2012, 03:49:46 PM »
I.Eat.Games -> Great interview w/ Max Schaefer of Runic.
Talks about all kinds of things -- his Blizzard days; Diablo 3 was ALWAYS planned to be a MMO; Torchlight 2; Torchlight MMO; Runic is going to try to always stay capped at 30 employees; ARPG genre; etc etc.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #82 on: Monday, June 18, 2012, 06:16:35 AM »
Excitement building... Especially I haven't been able to play Diablo 3 due to connectivity and lag issues (when I am actually able to log in the lag is too much to bear with).

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #84 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 02:18:39 AM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #86 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 06:41:17 AM »
I thought a few months ago that coming out after D3 was a terrible idea and that it would suffer for it.  Now I think it is the best-case scenario for them.  Gave people enough time to play d3 and realize how limited it is.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #87 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 08:20:37 AM »
They'll just play 200 hours of Torchlight 2 and bitch there's not enough content.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #88 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 08:30:50 AM »
But with Torchlight modders can add content. :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #89 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »
They'll just play 200 hours of Torchlight 2 and bitch there's not enough content.

Seriously.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #90 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 02:03:25 PM »
Ah, but I won't bitch for those 200 hours about being forced online, or servers going down.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #91 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 02:34:24 PM »
Speaking for myself. That's never happened to me. :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #92 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 02:49:59 PM »
Ah, but I won't bitch for those 200 hours about being forced online, or servers going down.
Yep, I bitched a lot about Diablo 3. Lagging while playing singleplayer is inexcusable. I haven't even touched the game in 2 months because it was just not fun to play anymore, assuming you don't enjoy lag or random disconnections etc.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #93 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 04:32:33 PM »
But I lag too when I am not playing on my home server.

I know you keep mentioning this unplayable lag, but the Middle East home server is EU. You are on my EU friend list, where you haven't logged on in 80 days, where your characters are level 4 or something. On Asia your main character is level 33. If you check, Asia is the worst server for the Middle East.

I am playing from Pakistan. On EU I have lagged maybe three times in 3 months. No, it isn't because I am less sensitive to lag.

I lag more on USA and on Asia it is the worst. So I don't know... I get your frustration, but it seems you are basing your experience on the worst server for you, where you clearly have spent your entire time playing.

I have found the game to be incredibly smooth.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #94 on: Friday, August 31, 2012, 06:41:24 PM »

You keep bringing up this argument, but it's moot.  They raised the bar with D2 in regards to long-term play.  They had 12 years to get D3 right in this regard and utterly failed.  Blizzard knew what everyone would expect and they could not deliver on it.  Period.  In fact they basically removed EVERYTHING that kept D2 interesting for so long.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #95 on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 06:48:28 AM »
I played about 18 hours of it and I thought it was great. The play mechanics, the leveling, all the art, presentation is stellar. But apparently I didnt play it because I only played 18 hours, Im supposed to keep playing this for months apparently and the fact that I didn't means the game didn't deliver.

Sorry, not buying that argument.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #96 on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 07:42:37 AM »
But I lag too when I am not playing on my home server.

I know you keep mentioning this unplayable lag, but the Middle East home server is EU. You are on my EU friend list, where you haven't logged on in 80 days, where your characters are level 4 or something. On Asia your main character is level 33. If you check, Asia is the worst server for the Middle East.

I am playing from Pakistan. On EU I have lagged maybe three times in 3 months. No, it isn't because I am less sensitive to lag.

I lag more on USA and on Asia it is the worst. So I don't know... I get your frustration, but it seems you are basing your experience on the worst server for you, where you clearly have spent your entire time playing.

I have found the game to be incredibly smooth.
That's the weirdly illogical part of it. I started with Asia because I am technically in Asia. Oddly enough in the Asia server with my Asia character I have green bars. In the EU and US the bars are red or yellow at best, hence why I haven't logged in. I played with my Asia character right up until I reached the final battle and THEN Blizzard inform me that EU is for Middle East. As you saw, I haven't touched my EU character in over 2 months because it lags way too much. Only later did the Asia server start lagging as well. Now all of them lag for me. I thought about logging into my EU characters but every time I open the D3 menu I realize how much of a chore it is to work a fresh character back up to the level of my Asia character and I end up launching some other game.

Based on the way Blizzard have set things up it should be fine and free to migrate characters between servers, even with some restriction like you can only migrate once per month or something.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #97 on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 08:02:57 AM »
X I am just trying to find some way to get you to play with meeeeeee. :P

BTW, I am grabbing Guild Wars 2 shortly. We can play that for sho'...

I played about 18 hours of it and I thought it was great. The play mechanics, the leveling, all the art, presentation is stellar. But apparently I didnt play it because I only played 18 hours, Im supposed to keep playing this for months apparently and the fact that I didn't means the game didn't deliver.

Sorry, not buying that argument.

You only played Diablo 3 for 18 hours?  (just surprised considering how good the game is).  Corey I need a D3 friend. Be my D3 friend.

Anyway, in terms of dollar value, if you can get 100-200 hours out of any regularly priced game, then that is brilliant.

Yes, some of the changes in D3 suck. I want skill choices to be permanent. I want to be able to invest in character points. They've taken some of the RPG out of the action RPG. No, I don't think I will play D3 nearly as long as I played D2.

To be honest, I stupidly spent $175 getting a CE to me in Pakistan because I expected to get the same longevity out of this as I had D2. That being said, D2 still rocks. If you can get a hundred hours out of any game, then that's fantastic value for money.  

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #98 on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 08:05:24 AM »
Yeah, I wanna enjoy it more, really get my money's worth out of it. Once I reached the final battle I got bored. It just lost its flair for me.

We will leap into GW2 and soar far beyond anything D3 could offer!

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #99 on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 08:30:55 AM »
X I am just trying to find some way to get you to play with meeeeeee. :P

BTW, I am grabbing Guild Wars 2 shortly. We can play that for sho'...

You only played Diablo 3 for 18 hours?  (just surprised considering how good the game is).  Corey I need a D3 friend. Be my D3 friend.

Anyway, in terms of dollar value, if you can get 100-200 hours out of any regularly priced game, then that is brilliant.

Yes, some of the changes in D3 suck. I want skill choices to be permanent. I want to be able to invest in character points. They've taken some of the RPG out of the action RPG. No, I don't think I will play D3 nearly as long as I played D2.

To be honest, I stupidly spent $175 getting a CE to me in Pakistan because I expected to get the same longevity out of this as I had D2. That being said, D2 still rocks. If you can get a hundred hours out of any game, then that's fantastic value for money.  

Sorry I was waaay off about my hours, I just ball parked it and for some reason it didn't feel like a lot, but I just checked and I'm 50+ hours. Anyway Pug, we should definitely play.. but our schedules are a bit conflicting since you play during the hours I sleep. I'm typical online at around 9am - 3pm American central time.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #100 on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 08:33:37 AM »
This all comes down to prior expectation. If this were Demon Slaughter: The Clickest, nobody would give a fuck unless they were comparing it directly to Diablo 2, which would be to some degree inevitable given how fundamentally Diablo 2 is a baseline for the genre. However, Diablo 3 comes under a hundred times the scrutiny in these areas because it's the direct titular successor, which means a lot more than just title. There's the expectation of continued story, themes, gameplay, depth, the online vs. singleplayer components, and replayability. Diablo 3 dropped the ball in a few areas (not necessarily wholesale, but in significant departures from the legacy that were perceived as negative by a large chunk of the fanbase). So yeah, the game itself isn't awful, and it isn't as though you can't sit down and play and enjoy it through the end. I did, more or less, despite how boring the last bit was. However, I played the original game and the sequel for hundreds of hours online with friends, and it was a very compelling and addictive experience. Online or off, this was the expectation for most. You don't blow one of the major elements that defines your game.

For me, I wouldn't have been playing the game that way in the first place. I don't have time. I got what I got out of it, and maybe I'll fiddle with it here or there a couple times in the future, see if I can beef up the character a bit more, but that will likely be about it. So this doesn't really affect me personally the way it would have, say, 7 or 8 years ago. Still, you can see the problems, and most of Blizzard's decisions here were poor ones. They've weakened the legacy of their own franchise, and people are annoyed. Just because you personally didn't want to get out of it what others did doesn't mean anything. There's a legacy to live up to, and while nobody says Blizzard employees need to go to jail or be executed for failing to do that, the consumer has every right to bitch. It wasn't the game it should have been given what came before it, and not just because every sequel should be more of the same, but because it's artistically obligated to innovate while still working toward the same ends. Clearly most people don't think it did.

EDIT - Which again really isn't my opinion. I don't really have an opinion on the life of this game because I can't in my situation. But I still see what people are getting at. And maybe it was unreasonable to expect any game to live up to Diablo 2. Maybe that game just hit at the right moment when the stars aligned, who knows. But I think some better decisions would at least have gotten them closer.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #101 on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 08:43:46 AM »
EDIT - Which again really isn't my opinion. I don't really have an opinion on the life of this game because I can't in my situation. But I still see what people are getting at. And maybe it was unreasonable to expect any game to live up to Diablo 2. Maybe that game just hit at the right moment when the stars aligned, who knows. But I think some better decisions would at least have gotten them closer.

I think your last bit there is sort of how I see Diablo 2. I don't think that action RPGs... or rather THE action RPG franchise, will ever come close to what D2 is, not because of how great the game was, but of how much has changed over the passed decade, especiallly with the inception of WoW. I just feel that this particular genre, while can be still addicting, has aged to a point where those kinds of game can't hold our attention for as long as we've thought they would. Hell those games have never grabbed me in the way it did with a lot of other people in the first place.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 10:56:36 AM by PyroMenace »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #102 on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »
Yeah, I'm comparing it to Guild Wars 2, which I do occasionally experience some lag with, but my expectations for each game were very different. With GW2, despite the minor connectivity issues I'm still praising the game! Diablo 3 if I have one hiccup I'm all bent out of shape about it! hehe

I guess the glaring difference for me is that with GW2 I fully understand that I am connecting to a remote server with several other people and we're all playing there together. However with D3 I feel like I'm connecting to a remote, isolated chamber where I am the only person; a lonely, desolate, distant island I'm forced to connect to instead of the little sandbox within my own PC.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #103 on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 10:50:53 AM »
Well, there's no question in my mind that the online-only shit was a huge mistake for D3. I thought it was stupid before, I think it's stupid now. Think Pyro and I are really just talking about replayability, depth of content, incentive to continue. Diablo 2 had something special that allowed people to play the thing for years and years, though like Pyro, I was never quite so able to do that as others were. But people don't seem to be getting that mileage out of D3 the same way, and I wonder how much of that was just luck with the former game or outright developmental gaffs in the latter.

Either way, you're probably better off with GW2. By all accounts, it's amazing. I wish I could play it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #104 on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 10:57:30 AM »
I think your last bit there is sort of how I see how Diablo 2. I don't think that action RPGs... or rather THE action RPG franchise, will ever come close to what D2 is, not because of how great the game was, but of how much has changed over the passed decade, especiallly with the inception of WoW. I just feel that this particular genre, while can be still addicting, has aged to a point where those kinds of game can't hold our attention for as long as we've thought they would. Hell those games have never grabbed me in the way it did with a lot of other people in the first place.

If the series never grabbed you to begin with, then how can you possibly be in a position to criticize others for thinking a series that DID grab them fell way short with the latest game?  You obviously came into D3 with lower expectations than those people, so obviously it would take less to satisfy you.

And I definitely don't buy the WoW argument.  Everquest was wildly popular during the early years of D2.  WoW may have expanded the audience for MMO's, but we're still talking about two different types of game play.  D2 had randomized dungeons, legitimate end-game loot, and skill customization.  All these combined to keep the game appealing for long periods of time.  Blizzard completely fubared all three of them with Diablo 3.  But then, maybe Blizzard doesn't want long-term game play with D3.  Hell for all we know we are just beta-testing a future Diablo-themed MMO.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #105 on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 11:07:08 AM »
Yea but how much of that content was available on release for D2, which has had content added on and patched for years? I dont know the D3 development cycle and I doubt theres an argument to be made about how much of the game should have been and an exact cut and paste from D2 but I think theres a least some buffer period to at least give Blizz some time to perhaps improve upon parts of the game.

And as for my perspective of the series, you are right, I am strictly theorizing, but from what you told me of your experiences with D2, I dont remember you mentioning to me that you one of those people that played compared to the amount of the "hardcore".

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #106 on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 12:27:57 PM »
Yea but how much of that content was available on release for D2, which has had content added on and patched for years? I dont know the D3 development cycle and I doubt theres an argument to be made about how much of the game should have been and an exact cut and paste from D2 but I think theres a least some buffer period to at least give Blizz some time to perhaps improve upon parts of the game.

And as for my perspective of the series, you are right, I am strictly theorizing, but from what you told me of your experiences with D2, I dont remember you mentioning to me that you one of those people that played compared to the amount of the "hardcore".

D2, aside from the expansion (obviously) really didn't see THAT much content addition.  Extra runewords, some gear, the most substantial update was adding the uber-bosses.  Most of the updates had to do with balancing and such.  And I think some core decisions have been made with D3 (extremely limited areas where randomization in terrain occurs) that make some underwhelming aspects unfixable.  And D2 consumed me for a year or two in college, and once again a few years ago for about six months.  I've put significant time into the game.  Well over 500-600 hours I'd theorize.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #107 on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 01:39:54 PM »
I would love to see Diablo 1 remade in the D3 engine, oh wait, Blizzard kinda already did that. Yeah.. so.. yeah.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #108 on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 05:30:13 PM »
But... isn't that true for just about any Blizzard game?
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 05:55:45 PM by Pugnate »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #109 on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 08:02:42 PM »
GameSpy -> Torchlight II to support Steam Workshop; have free DLC; and Travis Baldree wants to mod in something himself the rest of the team turned down (cursed weapons).

When Runic President Travis Baldree nonchalantly mentioned that Torchlight 2 will have Steam Workshop support at launch, I thought I must've missed something, because this terrific news was new to me. But a quick Googling reveals that no other site has mentioned it in their previews, so I guess that makes this a GameSpy exclusive: Torchlight 2 is now confirmed to have Steam Workshop support when it comes out on September 20th!

"There was no reason not to," said Baldree. Quite right -- after seeing Skyrim's already amazingly active modding community positively explode with new users after Workshop made installing mods a virtually idiot-proof, one-button process, I'm baffled whenever a developer tells me their game won't take advantage of it.

We already knew this, but it's relevant information: Baldree also confirmed that mod tools are coming, probably a few weeks after launch, and says that Runic plans to put some mod content of its own up there to get things started. (During our conversation he suggested he might put up a mod that adds cursed weapons back in, a feature that he loves but everyone else at Runic voted down.) He expects to see more fan-made armor sets and items in Torchlight 2 than in the first one because of changes Runic's made to the way they're sized to the different classes -- I'm very much looking forward to seeing what people come up with.

When I asked if there would be DLC, he said that anything Runic puts out will likely be freebies which will automatically download via Steam and simply appear the next time you play. "We want to do about one a month to remind people we're still around," he said, adding that these might include new set items or events. The idea of finding random surprises even after I've played dozens of hours makes Torchlight 2 even more appealing than it already is. And all of that for 20 measly dollars -- if I got even half of the 64 hours Steam says I played Torchlight for that money I'd consider Torchlight 2 a steal, but all indications (such as co-op) point to potential getting far more than that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #110 on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »
But... isn't that true for just about any Blizzard game?
Except for Diablo 1 and Diablo 2. And WarCraft. And StarCraft. And World of WarCraft. :P

I'm more psyched for Torchlight 2.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #111 on: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 01:42:05 AM »
Well Blizzard sequel then. :P The first thing I thought when I played D2 was that it was like an XL version of D1. :P

I saw the trailer for T2 and it does look good actually.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #112 on: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 01:52:11 AM »
Well Blizzard sequel then. :P The first thing I thought when I played D2 was that it was like an XL version of D1. :P

I saw the trailer for T2 and it does look good actually.
Haha true :D

Yeah, T2 looks great! It's simplistic but that's part of its beauty.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #113 on: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 07:43:14 AM »
Haha true :D

Yeah, T2 looks great! It's simplistic but that's part of its beauty.

I thought TL2 Beta was FANTASTIC. :D
Yeah, the TL2 Launch Trailer looks pretty good. :D

EDIT 1:
Getting 10 hours or more out of a $20 game for official content = sounds good to me.
Add modding into the mix and if gamers latch onto it, TL2 is going to be even more awesome!
Given how TL1 was modded and how TL2 will have Steam Workshop support - this could be EPIC.

EDIT 2:
I think I'm happy with these days games pushing 10 hours or more worth of game content...hehe.
Many games, they probably just couldn't sustain themselves well, after that point of hitting 10-20 hours.
I always seem to be moving onto the next game, anyways.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #114 on: Monday, September 03, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »
Joystiq -> More info on future of Torchlight franchise from Max Schaefer.

-- Patch support and Mod support coming for Torchlight 2
-- Mac port and language support are planned for Torchlight 2
-- Not sure on if Torchlight 2 will be ported to XBLA
-- Not sure on if they'll do a Torchlight MMO now
-- If they actually do a Torchlight MMO, they think it'll be much different than most MMO's and what most gamers might expect from them

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #115 on: Friday, September 14, 2012, 10:21:48 PM »
Torchlight 2 pre-load is now available.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #116 on: Friday, September 14, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »
Damnit! Why do all these games have to come out so close to each other? We had a couple months there where nothing terribly interesting came out...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #117 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 01:17:16 AM »
Damnit! Why do all these games have to come out so close to each other? We had a couple months there where nothing terribly interesting came out...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #118 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 04:54:23 AM »
Damnit! Why do all these games have to come out so close to each other?

Sooner they all come out, the better (for the game-consumer).
I can wait for something to hit a price-drop, Steam sale, or digital sale a bit sooner, rather than later. :P

EDIT:
We had a couple months there where nothing terribly interesting came out...
What do you mean?
Dark Souls: PTD (PC), Guild Wars 2, Sleeping Dogs, and Darksiders 2 all came out last month (August)!  :o

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #119 on: Saturday, September 15, 2012, 05:15:56 AM »
Yeah, but between May and July there was nothing significant going on. Even the Game Shows didn't have that "epic" feeling they usually do with over-sensationalizing everything.