Author Topic: The List Some Nasty Bugs You've Hit In Games Thread  (Read 8598 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
The List Some Nasty Bugs You've Hit In Games Thread
« on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 06:48:48 PM »
Okay, mention some nasty bugs you've hit are and in what game that bug was in.

I just hit one in Dungeon Siege 2, myself, In Act 2 Chapter 8 w/ the battle w/ Talon.
(click to show/hide)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: The List Some Nasty Bugs You've Hit In Games Thread
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 07:01:41 PM »
Skies of Arcadia (DC)

The game crashes at the exact same point during a boss battle for me.  I never did get past it, and my copy was too old to get a warranty replacement on.

Silent Storm (PC)

My main hero dies for absolutely no reason on a specific turn in one mission, which gives you a game over.  I've loaded previous saves and the result is the same.  I've not been able to get past this point and a post on the JoWooD support forums (one of 3 total threads about the game) has gone ignored for months.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein (PC)

A bug in the game allowed the field ops class to throw an unlimited number of grenades while they were using the binoculars.  Online, you'd have an enemy field ops guarding an important stairwell by just lobbing grenade after grenade down the steps.  It was later patched, thankfully.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 07:09:14 PM »
Off the top of my head, most of the insane annyoing bugs were in the old Sierra games. Games like King's Quest, Quest for Glory, Police Quest, Space Quest etc.

There was always a point where one script didn't function like it should have and it just destroyed the rest of the game. It also took hours to realize that it wasn't your fault.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 07:15:34 PM »
I don't think I ever ran into anything like that in the Space Quest games.  What did suck though is how specific you had to be sometimes to please the parser.  Or the fucking piece of glass from the original parser-based SQI (not the point-and-click remake).  You literally couldn't see it on the screen.  I had to buy a hint book from Sierra to get past that part.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 08:11:21 PM »
Anachronox, Anachronox, Anachronox.  That whole game was a giant bug.  Too bad it's still one of my all-time favorite games.  And I could never even get far enough to beat it!

What I wouldn't give for a stable console port of that one.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 08:22:04 PM »
Gotta agree with Anachronox. I got really far and a crash bug kept me from finishing. There has since been a patch, but I dont want to play through the whole damn game again.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 08:34:11 PM »
Although I was bugged in almost all the Sierra adventure games, it was the King's Quest ones that were particularly nasty.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 02:12:33 PM »
Anachronox, Anachronox, Anachronox.  That whole game was a giant bug.  Too bad it's still one of my all-time favorite games.  And I could never even get far enough to beat it!

What I wouldn't give for a stable console port of that one.

Was it still that buggy after that unofficial patch some of the designers actually released later...?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 06:02:28 PM »
Right off the top of my head I'd have to say one of the worst bugs was in Beyond Good & Evil. The stupid robot room key card bug! The only way around it is to browse the net and find a save file to the save point located immediately past that location.

It's a bug that prevented me from finishing the game the first 3 times I played it. Each time I got to that point I quit. Then I finally found a save file, and I managed to continue to finish the game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 10:26:34 PM »
Robot room?  I have no recollection of any bugs in BG&E at all.

The patch for Anox really did help a lot, but it still isn't perfect.  Julia claims she couldn't get it to run properly on XP (which it did before on 2 other systems).  I haven't yet tried it.  She says after she plays a while the screen wigs out.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 14, 2006, 06:09:28 AM »
Robot room?  I have no recollection of any bugs in BG&E at all.

The patch for Anox really did help a lot, but it still isn't perfect.  Julia claims she couldn't get it to run properly on XP (which it did before on 2 other systems).  I haven't yet tried it.  She says after she plays a while the screen wigs out.
It's this room where you have to knock some robots around to hit a button. Once you do and the door opens, it's suppsoed to drop a keycard. When I run to pick up the keycard my character just falls through the ground. There's no way to get the card. I think the bug may have only been in one version of the game (European release maybe?).

Anachronox was awesome. I never experienced any serious issues with it. Back when I used to play it on my Voodoo card I used an OpenGL driver called WickedGL. It boosted OpenGL quality and performance amazingly! I played the game again a few months ago and it seemed to work fine. The biggest issue everyone has with Anachronox is the OpenGL.

ATi messed up the old OpenGL drivers, so now even Quake 2 (any Quake 2 engine game [incl. Anachronox]) runs at a pretty crappy framerate (24-30 fps). I managed to exctract the OpenGL driver from Catalyst 4.11 (the last good OpenGL), and the I overwrote the current one I ahd at the time, and Quake 2's framerate went back to 80+ fps! Then I remember when Catalyst 6 came out that trick stopped working, and I had to live with whatever OpenGL driver ATi gave me with the latest release.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 14, 2006, 12:32:22 PM »
I've been fruitlessly trying to come up with modern games with bugs. I know there have been plenty, but I can't recall any.

I do remember bugs in the KOTOR games and Need for Speed: Underground, but those were pretty much ATi related.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 14, 2006, 12:47:04 PM »
The only one I can think of right now is in Metal Gear Solid, right before metal gear rex, the game corrupted my save file

I still haven't beaten it.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, September 14, 2006, 02:39:48 PM »
Right off the top of my head I'd have to say one of the worst bugs was in Beyond Good & Evil. The stupid robot room key card bug! The only way around it is to browse the net and find a save file to the save point located immediately past that location.
Damn -- that's pretty bad. :(

That's almost as bad as the bug w/ Talon on DS2 -- though, this is late into DS2 -- after some like 30 hours or so into the game! And you have only have one save slot per character. When you save, it always overwrites your last save. Yuh, DS1's save system waS MUCH BETTER, obviously....

Though, I saw last nite on the GPG's DS2 forums that you can have back-up save slots in DS2 if you add a certain line  to the DS2.INI file, if you have the newest patch version 2.2 -- what kind of crap is that?!?!?

It's a bug that prevented me from finishing the game the first 3 times I played it. Each time I got to that point I quit. Then I finally found a save file, and I managed to continue to finish the game.
Damn, that sucks. :(

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, September 14, 2006, 02:52:51 PM »
Yeah it was a pretty crappy bug, but it felt so good to be able to finish the game several months later ;D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, September 14, 2006, 03:09:40 PM »
Yeah it was a pretty crappy bug, but it felt so good to be able to finish the game several months later ;D

Yay!!!

So, how good was (or wasn't) BG&E, BTW?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, September 14, 2006, 05:23:48 PM »
It was AWESOME! Definitely one of the better games I've ever played. I'm really anxious for a sequel.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, September 14, 2006, 07:39:34 PM »
I thought it got kinda' boring.  I did enjoy it overall, but I was really, really ready for it to end by the end of it.  The only reason I finished it was because Julia was watching me play it, actually.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Friday, September 15, 2006, 01:35:47 AM »
That's so sweet!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #19 on: Friday, September 15, 2006, 06:44:28 AM »
I had BG&E ordered online from someplace for the NGC.  I think it was gogamer.com, but I don't remember.  It was listed really cheap.  Well, a few days after I ordered it, they e-mailed me and said that they would be unable to fulfill my order because they had run out of stock, and were not going to be getting any more back in.  I never did bother to look for it anywhere else, mostly because it was the only place that had it listed so cheaply.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #20 on: Friday, September 15, 2006, 09:50:29 PM »
Ok now I remember a bug. It actually came to me from the word 'order' in Scottws' post.

I preordered Pool of Radiance because I thought it was going to be this bad ass D&D game. It had been a while since I had had a good RPG so I was really excited.

The game sucked donkey balls. Plus it had this nasty bug where if you uninstalled it, it would delete everything on your harddrive.

For example if you installed it on the same drive as your OS, i.e. c: instead of deleted the POR folder it would attempt to delete everything.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #21 on: Friday, September 15, 2006, 10:33:47 PM »
Ok now I remember a bug. It actually came to me from the word 'order' in Scottws' post.

I preordered Pool of Radiance because I thought it was going to be this bad ass D&D game. It had been a while since I had had a good RPG so I was really excited.

The game sucked donkey balls. Plus it had this nasty bug where if you uninstalled it, it would delete everything on your harddrive.

For example if you installed it on the same drive as your OS, i.e. c: instead of deleted the POR folder it would attempt to delete everything.
Oh man, I remember that! You came to the ISA lounge the following day completely pissed off!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #22 on: Friday, September 15, 2006, 10:54:11 PM »
haha it was more at the racist EB manager and this was a few days after 9/11. haha I don't remember coming to the ISA lounge pissed off. What did I say?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 07:21:13 AM »
Oh hehe when I showed up you were already there sitting on the couch, then you told me about the the bug, and you were so frsutrated hehe