Author Topic: "What TV Shows Have You Watched Lately?" Thread  (Read 36873 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
"What TV Shows Have You Watched Lately?" Thread
« on: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 08:03:38 AM »
Cobra had a great idea on the "Movies We've seen Lately thread" and asked "What about TV shows?"
So, yeah - here we go.

"What TV shows have you watched lately?"

I've been watching...

Regular Stations:
-- Mike and Molly
-- Running Wilde
-- Raising Hope
-- $#!+ My Dad Says
-- Two and a Half Men
-- How I Met Your Mother
-- Community
-- Big Bang Theory
-- Not Your Ordinary Family

HBO:
-- Boardwalk Empire
-- Eastbound And Down
-- Bored To Death

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: "What TV Shows Have You Watched Lately?" Thread
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 08:09:37 AM »
Dexter
Eastbound & Down
The Mentalist
How I Met Your Mother
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Outsourced
South Park
Family Guy
Ugly Americans
Modern Family
The Colbert Report
The Daily Show
NCIS
Fringe
S#*! My Dad Says

I follow them as they come out but I'm not religiously bound to the schedule. I just let the RSS automatically feed my uTorrent.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 08:14:42 AM »
Basically the shows I watch:

Castle
Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
Mike and Molly (its new so they are still pretty witty. Wonder when they will run out of fat jokes, though)

I also try catch The Simpsons (new seasons have really improved) and Family Guy. Though FG is starting to wear thin. I watch it and laugh but its turned into a total "shock jock" type of thing.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 08:22:53 AM »
N.P.H. = The difference between an OK show, and a very terrible one.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 08:40:41 AM »
I'm also like to mention how disappointed I've been w/ Boardwalk Empire, as well...

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Monday, November 01, 2010, 10:20:46 AM »
I've been watching:

Dexter
Fringe
Big Bang Theory
The Walking Dead (premiered last night)
Criminal Minds
The Event
Raising Hope

The Event and Raising Hope are the two I'm not 100% I'll keep watching. So far The Event is hitting me like Lost did: It's okay, and I'm watching more to see if it gets better and to see how they explain things, and less because I genuinely enjoy it. Raising Hope is funny in the same way My Name Is Earl was, but it too has a lot of cheese and could get old.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 01, 2010, 10:24:40 AM »
All I really watch with any regularity is The Office and 30 Rock.  Other than that I catch random crap like MythBusters and Modern Marvels.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Monday, November 01, 2010, 03:39:19 PM »
I've watched NewsRadio maybe 5 times this year.  I don't know why, but that show is like comfort food for me.  I also picked up the full-on Seinfeld box, which is awesome.  All 9 seasons in a really nice slipcased thing with pullouts, and a big coffee table book.  My place has been a little less lonely with a decent show to watch in mass quantities.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 02, 2010, 01:52:05 AM »
Oh man I want to pick up that Seinfeld box but I don't watch it as much as I used to, I should. But I don't watch any shows really, last one I got into was Burn Notice and it was only the first season I watched, before that was The Wire. But here's some stuff I want to check out:

More Burn Notice
Dexter
Venture Bros.
Castle
Deadwood

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 02, 2010, 02:30:42 AM »
The only reason I tried to watch Burn Notice was because of Ryan Scott's show. I watched the entire season, and aside from Bruce Campbell, the show was pretty average.

I've been watching:

1. Band of Brother on blu-ray, with my little bro. The sound is reference quality, and the tin case set is quite awesome. I recommend this for anyone with a PS3 and a home theater.

2. True Blood, all three seasons. HBO makes some good shows, and this is pretty OK, though can be quite uneven at times. A bit too raunchy as well.

3. The Wire random episodes from time to time.

4. Robot Chicken I've watched a season and a half and it is uneven, but mostly lame. Plus, the show is aimed at geeks, yet Seth Green obviously tries to get as much pointless crap involving celebs as possible. It is one thing to mock them, and another to have some stupid action adventure starring members of boy bands, voicing themselves. Obviously someone is craving attention here. Any cred. Seth builds up with the geek stuff, he quickly loses with his celeb. shit. A skit about one member of N'Sync shooting some mafia members and being a hero isn't a parody, and neither is it amusing. Unfortunately, RC has a few of these per episode.

5. Bones. This show I downloaded because I had nothing to watch. The first few seasons were OK, but then the show turned into this comedy thing. It is actually quite funny. I like it and would recommend it as something to watch casually.

6. Supernatural. Again, got this because I had nothing to watch and the reviews were good. Think Hardy Boys hunting supernatural creatures. The first season started poorly. I was actually playing a windowed game as I watched. The show gets better though.

7. Vampire Diaries. Something else I watched because I had nothing and TV.com had it on its list and the reviews were good. The show isn't as bad as I expected. If you can get past the first few episodes, I do recommend it, because the show can be quite good. No, it isn't as bad as the name suggests. Watch it if if you have nothing to view,.

This is what I've watched recently.

Other stuff I watch:

30 Rock
The Office
Desperate Housewives
Dexter
South Park
Family Guy
Frasier
Lost (yet to see the final season)
BSG (yet to see the final season)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 02, 2010, 06:28:07 AM »
Between Sandy's insistence and Teri Hatcher housecleaning in lingerie, I got pulled into Desperate Housewives, a show I had vowed never to watch.  I watch so little commercial TV on my own, almost none really.  With Sandy, I have to endure it, in particular the early morning shows at NBC & local affiliate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, November 02, 2010, 07:32:44 AM »
Tell Sandy she has good taste.

In boyfriends and shows. :P

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, November 02, 2010, 11:14:21 AM »
South Park
Squidbillies
Boondocks
Jackass reruns

That about sums it up for me.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, November 02, 2010, 12:59:34 PM »
What I'm watching now:

The Walking Dead
House
Dexter
Big Bang Theory
Dirty Jobs
Mythbusters
Venture Bros
Metalocalypse

I also just finished watching the original Kung Fu series with David Carradine on Netflix which was pretty good.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, November 02, 2010, 02:35:01 PM »
I just finished up watching The IT Crowd... all four seasons of it.  Absolutely brilliant and hilarious.  I highly, highly, recommend this show.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, November 02, 2010, 02:48:46 PM »
I just finished up watching The IT Crowd... all four seasons of it.  Absolutely brilliant and hilarious.  I highly, highly, recommend this show.
Yeah, that's an awesome show :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2016, 04:58:14 PM »
Binge-watched the last few days numerous episodes of The Girlfriend Experience TV series on Starz, since Starz uploaded the entire First Season at once On Demand (on Sunday).
Finished the season up today.

Easy to binge-watch, given that each episode's in the 20-30 minute ballpark. Before you know, episode's done.

This show's something else.

The lighting, shooting of the locations, the acting - all is really good here. That's not even getting into the layers, twists, turns, and whatnot level of intrigue the show keeps going b/c it often leaves you to figure out thing - where you might have wondered what might've happened when it decides to out-of-nowhere drop plot-lines, pick-up plot-lines, maybe actually decide to fill in some blanks in the story/stories, and other things of the sort.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, April 12, 2016, 10:40:04 PM »
Heh, seeing my old post. I gave up on Big Bang Theory and Mike & Molly pretty quick. Also phased out of Family Guy.

Still watching Castle, though! This season has been kind of...eh, ok. I'm not big on the main "twist" this season because it moved the series away from what it was. But they did add some new characters and side stuff that has been pretty good, and now that the twist seems to be resolving a bit it's going back to the Castle I enjoy most.

More recently I've picked up watching Bobs Burgers, Gotham, and Brooklyn 99. I remember seeing the promos for Brooklyn 99 before it started airing and thought it looked real stupid. Then one night last year I was too lazy to change the channel and it turns out that show really makes me laugh. Been watching ever since.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 12:24:57 AM »
Update from my original list:
Dexter - Watched until the end. It got weaker as it went on, and the ending sucked.
Fringe - Was hooked through the second to last season, which wrapped everything up nicely. Then they got another season, which was too detached and to this day haven't watched past the second episode.
Big Bang Theory - Still watching, though it's a bit more boring these days, and Sheldon's existence as a character makes the show worse. He's not funny to me at all.
The Walking Dead - Still watching, still like it.
Criminal Minds - Still watching, mostly out of habit.
The Event - Progressed terribly and ended by farting out multiple seasons worth of plot in the last episode. If they hadn't held all the cool stuff back, maybe the show would have succeeded.
Raising Hope - Got more boring as it went on, and finally ended. If it had continued I probably wouldn't have kept watching.

And what I'm currently watching (not including stuff that's between seasons):
Banshee - loving it
Better Call Saul - liking it
Fear the Walking Dead - liking it so far
Game of Thrones (new season in a week and a half) - loving it
iZombie - My guilty pleasure. It's so dumb, but so watchable.
Star Wars Rebels - Only mildly entertaining. I'm mostly watching because it's canon.
The Big Bang Theory - Still watching, it has its moments.

I'm also thinking of checking out Vikings and Penny Dreadful, and watching Spartacus (which has ended but people tell me it's good).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 12:38:41 AM »
Only thing I've been watching is Daredevil on Netflix. Heather and I just finished season 2. Man, such good stuff. Haven't been this into a show in a long time.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, July 10, 2016, 11:47:13 AM »
I just finished the second season of Bloodline. It's Breaking Bad-esque in that it's very slow paced, shows characters slowly getting in over their heads through seemingly small actions and has amazing acting. Big fan.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, July 10, 2016, 12:36:59 PM »
I had watched the first season of Person of Interest and a few episodes into the second.  I got turned off because of some plot elements, so I stopped watching.  Cut ahead a few years, to just a couple weeks ago, when I watched the final episode of the show.  That was really intriguing, so I tracked down seasons 2-5, and I'm going through that.  The overarching storyline is what really makes the show.  The mundane single-episode crime dramas, much less so.  But it's hard not to miss important major-arc elements if I try to skip too much ahead.  They can happen at any moment during each show's run time.  So I'm pretty much just watching them whole at this point.  It's a good time to do it.  Good movies are so scarce right now, and there's no current TV show that has my attention.  Game of Thrones lost me at "Red Wedding".

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, July 10, 2016, 02:24:52 PM »
since Castle ended and other shows are off for the summer I ended up watching Houdini & Doyle which I rather enjoyed. Harry Houdini and Arthur Conan Doyle solving supernatural crimes with a female police inspector in old timey London.

Clearly historically accurate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, October 22, 2016, 06:00:21 PM »
Anyone been watching Westworld TV series on HBO?

It's been great, to say the least.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, October 22, 2016, 07:55:34 PM »

Yes and I'm totally loving it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, October 23, 2016, 07:52:47 AM »
Hmm.  Really?  I had low expectations.  Time to check it out, then.  TV shows in general have been disappointing me lately.  They have interminable stories, which either end with a fizzle if the series gets canceled, or the dangling-carrot resolution payoff keeps getting yanked further away if the series is popular.  Breaking Bad was a welcome exception.  I'm watching through Season 4 of Person of Interest, slowly.  I watched the final episode (Season 5), and got me re-interested in watching through the whole series from where I left off.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: Monday, October 24, 2016, 02:33:29 PM »
Hmm.  Really?  I had low expectations.  Time to check it out, then.  TV shows in general have been disappointing me lately.  They have interminable stories, which either end with a fizzle if the series gets canceled, or the dangling-carrot resolution payoff keeps getting yanked further away if the series is popular.  Breaking Bad was a welcome exception.  I'm watching through Season 4 of Person of Interest, slowly.  I watched the final episode (Season 5), and got me re-interested in watching through the whole series from where I left off.

Well, no reason to really jump in.  It could very well be a carrot dangling act or a big fizzle, but I'm enjoying it so far.   I can update you at the end of the season if you want.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Monday, October 24, 2016, 04:15:25 PM »
Too late.  I watched the first episode last night, and now I am hooked.  2 and 3 await.  When's the 4th?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: Monday, October 24, 2016, 04:29:56 PM »
Ahahhahahaha.  Now we're all in this together.

I think 4 just came out last night

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 03:48:31 AM »
4th is out. I think you'll enjoy it in particular.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, October 30, 2016, 09:09:47 PM »
I thought I was caught up after watching Episode 4 tonight, but it looks like 5 was out today.  Will watch that soon, but not tonight.

Anyone else notice that the "hosts" are made just like the synths in Fallout 4?  Homage, or rip-off?  (It's so obvious that I think it's the former.)  Nolan did say he used several games as inspiration, though I didn't see FO4 mentioned.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: Monday, October 31, 2016, 06:03:43 PM »
I thought I was caught up after watching Episode 4 tonight, but it looks like 5 was out today.  Will watch that soon, but not tonight.

Anyone else notice that the "hosts" are made just like the synths in Fallout 4?  Homage, or rip-off?  (It's so obvious that I think it's the former.)  Nolan did say he used several games as inspiration, though I didn't see FO4 mentioned.

HA, I've never seen that before - or any of Fallout 4.  That's pretty cool.

On the show, I'm super hooked.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #32 on: Saturday, November 05, 2016, 01:56:33 PM »
I also just started watching... I am enjoying this.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, November 10, 2016, 10:40:29 AM »
I just finished the second season of Bloodline. It's Breaking Bad-esque in that it's very slow paced, shows characters slowly getting in over their heads through seemingly small actions and has amazing acting. Big fan.

I've watched both seasons of Bloodline.  I liked the first more than the second, but the latter is still excellent.  It's probably my penultimate TV show I watched in 2016, with Game of Thrones being my favorite.  I truly can't say enough good things about it. 

If anyone tells me they are in a show hole, Bloodline is always my recommendation.  Upon hearing the title, many people think of vampires a la True Blood.  It has nothing to do with vampires.  It's about a current day family that lives in the Florida Keys and their issues.

Too bad that it's the first TV show on Netflix that has received the axe.  The upcoming third season will be its last.

I've been trying to get into this one, but haven't been able to so far.  So far, it's just enough to get me to watch the each following episode to see if it gets better but that goodwill is running out fast.  Part of it is that I really don't like Jeffrey Wright.  I don't know how he keeps getting gigs.  I mean his acting isn't horribly atrocious, it's just that all of his characters seem to have the same personality and are extremely wooden.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 04:11:18 AM »
Westworld has so far been interesting but not all that exciting. Something about it keeps me interested enough that I always want to watch when there's a new episode, but still don't know how much I like it. I think a lot of it is that I'm really, really not into the whole western setting, and generally don't watch westerns at all. It's everything else about the show that I find interesting. I imagine I might like it more if it was a sci-fi setting or something, but then you'd miss out on the stark contrast between the real world and the park.

Episode 7 was pretty good though.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 07:51:13 AM »
Episode 7 started slow, but it sure ended with a bang.  "What door?"  Oh, shit!

Oh, I like Jeffrey Wright.  I find his acting understated, cool, not wooden.  I liked him in Boardwalk Empire too.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 08:03:56 AM »
Episode 7 started slow, but it sure ended with a bang.  "What door?"  Oh, shit!

Oh, I like Jeffrey Wright.  I find his acting understated, cool, not wooden.  I liked him in Boardwalk Empire too.

That's exactly what I said, out loud. "Oh shit!"

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, November 16, 2016, 04:06:41 AM »
Westworld Episode 7

*SPOILERS* (We don't have spoiler tags anymore)

Yea it was pretty cool, though I was waiting on when the show would reveal some of the employees to be hosts. Now it's just a constant guess of who else could be one. The only narrative of the show that bothers me a little is Maeve's (the prostitute) part, or honestly, how she manages to get as far as she does since the techs that are hiding her secret are stupid beyond belief. Maybe I missed something, but I don't understand why they fear her threats at all when they can easily deactivate her nearly anytime they wanted. I like her story arch in the sense that she is trying to escape but it's sloppily done.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, November 16, 2016, 06:31:48 AM »
***SPOILERS***

(click to show/hide)

***END SPOILERS***

Incidentally, what is the classical piece played on harp at the beginning of the episode?  I know it.  I know its name.  I can't drag it out of my head.  It's not Clair de Lune, though it evokes similar feelings. Damn it, I hate getting old.

Edit:  Rêverie, Claude Debussy.  Thank you, IMDB.  General searches were getting me nowhere.  Figures it was Debussy's piece.  Definitely his emotive style.

And it's perfect for that scene.  Reverie.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 16, 2016, 10:24:13 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, November 16, 2016, 07:39:24 AM »
***SPOILERS***

Right, I suppose I get that. I guess specifically the scene that comes to mind is when the techs show her what she really is, but then she demands they change her aptitude setting without any real consequence behind it, they just obey her anyway when they could have easily ended it there.