Author Topic: Darksiders 2  (Read 8909 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Darksiders 2
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, November 07, 2015, 05:23:41 AM »
Obviously they were under no obligation to make the offer at all in the first place. But when the offer is given it should be honored in principle. I mean if Starbucks offered you a free cookie for being a Starbucks customer then when you showed up they said you weren't eligible because their accounts department couldn't figure out how to tabulate "free cookies" into the corporate structure, you'd feel pretty shitty about it too.

It is a measly $6 and in time it will inevitably be even less during a crazy sale but it's the principle of it that comes into play here. If a bank owed 1 cent to a customer they'd be legally bound to pay it; if they owed 1 cent to a million customers that's $100,000, suddenly it's not such a small picture anymore. Nordic Games is charging $6 for something that they advertised would be free for anyone who owned all previous content; we're under no obligation to pay for it despite any entitlement.

Speaking of entitlement, which is becoming a word that gets thrown around way too often in digital media, this case illustrates that precise definition with regards to software access: If you have _______ then you are entitled to _______. It's like a licence.

Anyway, the people who are making a fuss about it are the people who are going about it legitimately. If it really wasn't about principles we could just download a pirated copy and be done with it. Morally speaking, I've already paid full price for the game, season pass, and all DLC, so since I can't access the content through legitimate channels my only option is piracy. Sound justification? Maybe but it doesn't sit well with me. I'd rather go the proper route and have them issue it to me the proper way.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, November 07, 2015, 08:18:13 AM »
I agree with you, in principle (the main subject of your post).  And I hate the word "entitled" used as an attack, probably more than you.  It has become a flag word to me, like "butthurt", for rejecting outright whatever I may be reading.  I guess I'm seeing the issue here from my perspective, which is more practical.  I own both games on the 360, but my price for this on the One is $30, or 5 times the price getting repudiated in this PC deal.  I wish I could get the visually enhanced game with all the DLC I never played for $6.  I'd jump at it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, November 07, 2015, 09:26:01 AM »
Just to play devil's advocate, you guys realize they're under no obligation to offer you any sort of discount at all, right? Like 90% of the people who sell updated or repackaged versions of games?

@Que

Absolutely. They had no obligation to make such discounts - but they did; and it wasn't done in a fair manner.

The problem is this: they (Nordic) made a tied-style offer to those who bought the Nordic Darksiders Franchise Pack (which has been offered before at 90% off, mind you - and many probably bought it then) [which is Darksiders 1&2, and ALL Darksiders 2 DLC] to get the new Deathfinitive Edition for FREE; and basically those that have the SAME amount of content (like myself) that bought all of the same content early when THQ was selling all the content separately are NOT getting the same exact reward for owning everything.

Why??
B/c Steam + Nordic's too lazy to do Steam checks for ALL Darksiders games + ALL 15 DLC's?
Or maybe B/c Nordic's upset that I bought everything Darksiders-related when THQ owned it all?
Or both?
All are bullcrap reasons, if you ask me.

EDIT:
As someone who buys tons of games, bundles, and whatnot - another $6 can add up VERY fast. It's not like I'm just buying one game or one bundle here and there; I'm constantly buying on the cheap. And, we all know more games are going to go the HD Remaster route, especially when the original low-grade console version (X360 or PS3) was popular; so HD it onto new consoles (PS4 + X1); so you know they're also going to bring to the PC newer updated version too to make even more money.

And again - like Sleeping Dogs: Definitive; Deus Ex: HR DC; and some other HD Remasters/upgrades cash-grabs....looks like people are having problems w/ D2: Deathinitive.

@Xessive
X gets it - agreed 100%.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 07, 2015, 09:59:10 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Saturday, November 07, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »
I agree with you, in principle (the main subject of your post).  And I hate the word "entitled" used as an attack, probably more than you.  It has become a flag word to me, like "butthurt", for rejecting outright whatever I may be reading.  I guess I'm seeing the issue here from my perspective, which is more practical.  I own both games on the 360, but my price for this on the One is $30, or 5 times the price getting repudiated in this PC deal.  I wish I could get the visually enhanced game with all the DLC I never played for $6.  I'd jump at it.
If you don't own Darksiders 2 Season Pass or DLC's, I think $6 price-tag for Deathinitive is fair - as you're basically paying for the Season Pass that you're missing here.

If I never bought Darksiders 2 Season Pass + DLC's (which I got all in Amazon's Darksiders 2 Franchise Pack that THQ published) - I'd find the 80% off deal for Deathinitive quite fair.
It's when you already own everything here and you didn't buy Nordic's Darksiders Franchise Pack - well, you're getting boned here.

EDIT:
This fight is over $6, right?  A latte and a muffin at Starbucks?  I want to make sure I understand correctly, because it all seems like a tempest in a teapot to me.
I don't go to Starbucks.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, November 07, 2015, 11:26:54 AM »
I get it in principle, but didn't the guy say it wasn't anything they could deal with? I don't know who the publisher of this or anything.

Either way, reviews all seem to indicate that it's broken as fuck, so I think maybe you guys are asking for a discount on something you probably don't even really want at this point. Which is maybe serendipitous in a weird way?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, November 07, 2015, 11:31:43 AM »
Yeah, Cobra. People spew a lot of stuff of all sorts of forums. Internet anonymity can often bring out the worst in people.

@Que:
Nordic Games implied it was an issue on Valve's end. I think it has to do with the Darksiders Franchise Pack belonging specifically to Nordic Games but the individual content (Darksiders, Darksiders 2, Darksiders 2 Season Pass) originally belonged to THQ. Still, since Nordic now effectively owns he rights to the franchise they should have better control of the situation.

We can compare and contrast this situation with the Metro Redux remasters.

If recall, Metro Redux (2033 Redux + Las Light Redux) originally went on sale for $50 and if you had only one of the previous Metro games you got a 50% discount ($25) but if you had both games you got a 75% discount ($12.50). They never offered any free entitlements to previous owners or made any other claims. I gladly paid the $12.50 to get the full Redux pack. I wanted to play Metro 2033 Redux since I had not finished the original and the Redux version brought in a lot of the improvements of Last Light (which I loved).

With the Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition (DS2DE) fiasco, there's more to the lash back from customers than simply wanting something for free. There's an underlying sense of unfairness particularly to the early adopters. Nordic Games offered DS2DE as a free entitlement to all owners of the previous content on Steam and GOG.com, however, on Steam it was only given to those who specifically purchased the Darksiders Franchise Pack. Of course, everyone who already had the content didn't need to buy it. Yet somehow those dedicated people, many of whom paid full price for both Darksiders games and the Season pass, are not entitled to it but anyone who bought the Franchise Pack for a $5 during a Steam sale get a free update to DS2DE. Even though they all have the same content. It's just unfair.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, November 07, 2015, 11:59:53 AM »
Yeah, I mean I totally get the principle. But it's six bucks, for what by all accounts seems like a fairly broken port. I'm all for fighting for ideology, I really am, but it just seems like maybe this one isn't worth getting upset over; because even if they fix the situation, you're still just saving a few bucks on a bad port of a game you've already played. If it were me, in the interest of saving sanity I think I'd just write it off and go my way. (I do have the game on PS3, myself, but I never did play it.) Just my two cents.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, November 07, 2015, 05:10:09 PM »
Yeah, I mean I totally get the principle. But it's six bucks, for what by all accounts seems like a fairly broken port. I'm all for fighting for ideology, I really am, but it just seems like maybe this one isn't worth getting upset over; because even if they fix the situation, you're still just saving a few bucks on a bad port of a game you've already played. If it were me, in the interest of saving sanity I think I'd just write it off and go my way. (I do have the game on PS3, myself, but I never did play it.) Just my two cents.

The other thing is - Darksiders Franchise Bundle was from Nordic, not THQ. I wouldn't be surprised if Nordic wants to see money from us who didn't buy THEIR bundle, so they are shafting owners that bought everythnig from the old THQ days.

Buy as many games, bundles, and whatnot as I do - and you'll see that every $ certainly adds the hell up.

And it's not like this is the first game to get Redux/Remaster treatment - a lot of X360/PS3 are getting that Redux X1/PS4 treatment. The list is only growing. And it's not like these games are super-old, either - we're talking a few years later; not decades.

BTW, I have NOT played Darksiders 2 at all. Sure, tested it for benchmarks here - but, that's about it. Still ain't finished Darksiders 1, for crying out loud.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, November 07, 2015, 05:12:54 PM »
I get it in principle, but didn't the guy say it wasn't anything they could deal with? I don't know who the publisher of this or anything.

Either way, reviews all seem to indicate that it's broken as fuck, so I think maybe you guys are asking for a discount on something you probably don't even really want at this point. Which is maybe serendipitous in a weird way?
If it gets officially fixed, great.
If modders fixed it, then great.
If it works or runs better when more newer hardware is out there and that's the biggest problem right now, then great.

At least this Deathinitive Edition is actually out there on the PC.

If Nordic doesn't make this right for me, fine - I'll likely catch it in way later in another Nordic Humble Bundle, on a steep discount, or something of that sort.

EDIT:
Yeah, Cobra. People spew a lot of stuff of all sorts of forums. Internet anonymity can often bring out the worst in people.

@Que:
Nordic Games implied it was an issue on Valve's end. I think it has to do with the Darksiders Franchise Pack belonging specifically to Nordic Games but the individual content (Darksiders, Darksiders 2, Darksiders 2 Season Pass) originally belonged to THQ. Still, since Nordic now effectively owns he rights to the franchise they should have better control of the situation.

We can compare and contrast this situation with the Metro Redux remasters.

If recall, Metro Redux (2033 Redux + Las Light Redux) originally went on sale for $50 and if you had only one of the previous Metro games you got a 50% discount ($25) but if you had both games you got a 75% discount ($12.50). They never offered any free entitlements to previous owners or made any other claims. I gladly paid the $12.50 to get the full Redux pack. I wanted to play Metro 2033 Redux since I had not finished the original and the Redux version brought in a lot of the improvements of Last Light (which I loved).
But, that's the thing - w/ Metro Redux, there wasn't any FREE version offered there in this mix for old version owners or really say a possible tiered-nonsense check to see on Darksiders 2 if you say have 10-15 DLC's for Steam to check if you own them to get a discount on Deathinitive. I can understand say Nordic or Steam might not want to do such a crazy check - so they should've went w/ something more basic.

Discount Darksiders 2: Deathinitive to Darksiders 2 base-game owners at a cheap price - i.e. make it so insanely cheap (i.e. think say $1 or less), so it'd move lots of volumes, units, and get major interest & actually fund some of Darksiders 3. Instead, this has instead turned into a PR nightmare.

With the Darksiders 2 Deathinitive Edition (DS2DE) fiasco, there's more to the lash back from customers than simply wanting something for free. There's an underlying sense of unfairness particularly to the early adopters. Nordic Games offered DS2DE as a free entitlement to all owners of the previous content on Steam and GOG.com, however, on Steam it was only given to those who specifically purchased the Darksiders Franchise Pack. Of course, everyone who already had the content didn't need to buy it. Yet somehow those dedicated people, many of whom paid full price for both Darksiders games and the Season pass, are not entitled to it but anyone who bought the Franchise Pack for a $5 during a Steam sale get a free update to DS2DE. Even though they all have the same content. It's just unfair.
Also keep in mind on GOG - Nordic published Darksiders 2 + DLC Pack, not THQ.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 06:07:29 AM »
Nordic Games just e-mailed me a DS2DE key! Awesome!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 04:28:24 PM »
Nordic Games just e-mailed me a DS2DE key! Awesome!

Congrats!!! :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, November 29, 2015, 08:36:36 AM »
Nordic set up an activation site for Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition PC on Steam (for those who didn't buy Nordic's Darksiders Franchise Pack)

You have to sign-in w/ your Steam log-in + ALSO make your Steam profile public during this redemption thing.

You have to have one of the following combinations on Steam to now get Deathinitive PC for free:
A. Darksiders 2 [base-game] + Season Pass owners;
B. OR own Darksiders 2 [base-game] & Argul's Tomb DLC + The Abyssal Forge DLC + The Demon Lord Belial DLC