Author Topic: Something that annoys me for no good reason  (Read 5303 times)

Offline Antares

• Veteran
Something that annoys me for no good reason
« on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 09:19:34 PM »
When someone fatter than me feels compelled to give me nutritional advice.

You know what? I'm 5'10" and I weigh 160lbs.  Fuck off, I'll eat as many donuts as I want.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Something that annoys me for no good reason
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 09:31:11 PM »
I also hate skinny people that tell me I should watch what I eat. Fuck off or I'll sit on you.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 09:46:01 PM »
I worry sometimes about my diet.  I mean I'm 5'9"/175.  I've got a small beer gut developing (even though I hardly drink now).  But most people still consider me slender.

In any case, I'm a meat-eater.  I don't eat fruit hardly ever.  I just don't like it.  I will drink juices and things though.  I eat vegetables and other things, but I love any kind of meat.

One of my friends is the same way, though he is a little bit heavier than I am.  Well he went to the doctor and his cholesterol is ridiculous.  I should probably get checked out.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 10:15:23 PM »
Yeah I hope that my cholesterol isn't too bad. I'm 5'10 145 and I eat like complete shit, I also drink a lot. I am just very lucky to have a fast metabolism. In any case, I'm in absolutely no position to give people advice on eating healthy.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 11:47:38 PM »
Fuck all you people.  I'm 6' (or 6'1" or 5'10" depending on the idiot doctor taking the measurement) and about 250 pounds.  I'd say 195 is probably my ideal weight (despite being overweight I'm pretty well built), and I was there before my dad died.  After he passed I just lost all motivation and ended up back at roughly what I am now.  Even when I eat well and exercise a lot I have trouble losing weight.  My metabolism is utter shit.

So I pretty much hate when people say anything to me about weight or nutrition whatsoever, which is how I get most of my exercise -- a person will start talking about it and then I go find a 2x4 and force it down their throat.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, November 12, 2006, 11:57:41 PM »
6'2", 230lbs here. Que and I can go to fat camp together. Not to lose weight, but because smores are so fucking good....

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Monday, November 13, 2006, 12:18:31 AM »
Especially when they're covered in steak.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Monday, November 13, 2006, 10:06:20 AM »
Hehe man, being in Canada has caused me to gain so much weight.. I'm 173cm (~5'9) and I weigh 85kg (187 lbs), but ideally (for my height according to my doctor) I should weigh about 75kg (165 lbs).

Whenever I go home (Abu Dhabi) I naturally lose ~3kg just by being there during the first week, and another ~4kg over the next few weeks. I generally have a more active lifestyle in AD, but the climate alone does wonders. It's so hot your body has to purge the fat to cool off! :P

Cools

« Reply #8 on: Monday, November 13, 2006, 05:00:12 PM »
That's funny!

I'm 6' and weigh about 170 lbs (78kg), I think that's good.

*goes back to eating chocolate*

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Monday, November 13, 2006, 08:52:38 PM »
hahaha..

well.. i'm 5' and 102 lbs.  ideally I'm supposed to be 106.. but that's about it.. I go from 100 to 106 and back down.. back and forth

Sometime last year i hit 110.. which wasn't good and i was fat

then i got really busy and hit 96 lbs.

when you're my size, a few pounds on or off is noticeable right away.
Taken.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #10 on: Monday, November 13, 2006, 10:18:35 PM »
That's absolutely tiny.  My girlfriend is really, really petite and she weighs like 120.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #11 on: Monday, November 13, 2006, 10:20:16 PM »
6'1", 180lbs.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Monday, November 13, 2006, 11:35:46 PM »
Did I mention I hate you all?

Cools

« Reply #13 on: Monday, November 13, 2006, 11:41:29 PM »
That's given.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Monday, November 13, 2006, 11:51:01 PM »
I'm 5'9 and about 190 lbs (I used to be 220-225 when I used to eat a lot of crappy food constantly), so I'm a little on the chunky side.  I'm not horribly overweight though and eat better than most people that stuff their faces with fast food everyday and eat loads of sugar so I generally get annoyed by people who tell me how to eat.  Yeah I could stand to lose about 10-15 lbs, but its not the end of the fucking world. I get the occasional rant from someone (usually at work) about drinking energy drinks, what's even worse is that a couple of these dipshits are downing diet cokes left and right, that artificial sweetener shit they put in there is a lot worse than the vitamins and minerals that is in the energy drink I'm drinking every now and then. Reminds me when I worked at that pretzel place in the mall and these fat fucks would buy a huge ass pretzel with extra butter and tons of dipping sauce and they would get a diet coke...like the fucking diet coke is going to cancel out the fattening shit they are eating with it.  A good majority of people who give out nutrition advice shouldn't be giving it.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 03:44:37 AM »
I could give out nutrition advice, have credentials for it.. but i only do when i'm asked. Haha.

I was 120 when i was like 11 or something.. really fat and would roll around a lot. 

I've been on a junkfood craving thing the last few days and it's not good.
Taken.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 04:44:12 AM »
well.. i'm 5' and 102 lbs.  ideally I'm supposed to be 106.. but that's about it.. I go from 100 to 106 and back down.. back and forth

And I used to taunt my sister.

Also Tet., what is wrong with Energy drinks? Do you mean stuff like Redbull? Or stuff like Gatorade?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 02:13:03 PM »
And I used to taunt my sister.

Also Tet., what is wrong with Energy drinks? Do you mean stuff like Redbull? Or stuff like Gatorade?

Stuff like Red Bull, I don't drink Red Bull though, I drink the occasional Rockstar, energy drinks are only horrible for you if you drink several of them in a day because of all the caffeine.  Rockstar actually has a bunch of vitamins and minerals in it though so its not as bad as most of them out there.  The one I like the most is actually 70% fruit juice.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 02:16:28 PM »
Diet Coke is actually not as bad for you as people think.  It's sweetened with Nutra-Sweet, which is Aspartame, and although it was once thought that it could lead to cancer or other health problems, it's been disproven.  There are actually no artificial sweeteners that are really bad for you, as Splenda has been targeted too recently, which is actually not harmful either.

The only thing that's bad about energy drinks is I suppose the calories.  B vitamins, which are in energy drinks, are fat soluble, and you actually can have too many fat-soluble vitamins.  Water soluable vitamins are pissed out when you have too many, like Vitamin C.  Fat soluble vitamins are broken down by fat, though, so you can have an excess amount in your body.  Too many vitamins can be bad for you too, but since there aren't a significant amount in drinks, you'd have to drink absurd amounts of energy drinks.  Also, caffeine and things like that aren't particularly good or bad for you depending on how you see them.  You can build a tolerance to caffeine, and it's a diuretic so it can lead to dehydration if you drink it constantly.  It's nothing too bad, but it might give you a headache or make you feel shitty.

They aren't super bad for you, but like everything in life, they are only bad in excess.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 05:35:28 PM »
Eat as many donuts as you want! I do... donuts kick all kinds of ass.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2006, 08:27:52 PM »
Where did you hear that artificial sweeteners aren't harmful?  I continually see studies that say otherwise.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2006, 12:05:20 PM »
Just reading about things.  Also, after taking year upon year of chemistry, I know what "components" people claim are "bad."

Phenylalanine is an example.  Some people claim that this is harmful, and that even led to the inclusion of a warning on any Aspartame-containing products.  Check out any can of Diet Coke and it'll have a blurb that says it contains phenylalanine.  This is stupid, first of all, because phenylalanine is an amino acid.  It's broken down 100% by HUMANS when ingested.  You'll find all kinds of things saying the opposite, and that it's cytotoxic or whatever, but it is really just an amino acid that our bodies break down totally.

A lot of studies were done on rats, as well, and while their body chemistry is similar to humans, the major scare came from rats actually developing the cancerous tumors.  No human has ever gotten one, it just had something to do with the way rats store urine in their bladders.  The one that caused the tumors in rats was saccharin, or Sweet 'n' Low.  Anything with saccharin will also contain a warning that the product caused tumors in rats, but it's just to save their asses if anything happened.  It's been safe for a few hundred years by now though, so I'm thinking we're safe.

There's another sweetener called cyclamate.  It was banned in a huge number of countries because it had been found to cause cancer in rats.  I think the same thing happened here though, and it was disproven.  I'm pretty sure it's still banned in the US though, so I'm not worried about it.

I just googled it and found an article here that's a little more reputable than me.  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14556707/

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2006, 12:36:22 PM »
I'm sticking with good ol' fashioned sugar. Whether it comes from sugar canes or beets, I'm happy with my sugar. When I want something sweet I add sugar, except for my tea I always have that with honey. I rarely have coffee anyway, but when I do I add cacao (or coco powder), sugar, and milk. If I'm going through a fat period I just don't have anything that would require sweetening.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2006, 03:46:29 PM »
Artificial sweeteners taste like shit anyways

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2006, 03:53:57 PM »
Artificial sweeteners taste like shit anyways
True. Just one more reason to revert to nature!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2006, 11:03:16 PM »
I was under the impression that there were people who were "allergic" to phenylalanine.  As in there are people who consume it and then their heads explode or something.  I don't recall the specifics, but there's an actual name for it, whatever it is.  I'm pretty sure that's the reason for the warning.  And I've read several studies were they found that aspartame frequently caused seizures in certain people.  I think you maybe we've been reading different stuff.  There's still a lot of stuff being looked at with the sweeteners.  And I agree, they taste like shit.  All of them.  How much are you sacrificing just to avoid some extra sugar, you know?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2006, 11:25:09 PM »
First you get the sugar. Then you get the power. Then you get the women.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #27 on: Thursday, November 16, 2006, 01:06:34 AM »
I was under the impression that there were people who were "allergic" to phenylalanine.  As in there are people who consume it and then their heads explode or something.  I don't recall the specifics, but there's an actual name for it, whatever it is.  I'm pretty sure that's the reason for the warning.  And I've read several studies were they found that aspartame frequently caused seizures in certain people.  I think you maybe we've been reading different stuff.  There's still a lot of stuff being looked at with the sweeteners.  And I agree, they taste like shit.  All of them.  How much are you sacrificing just to avoid some extra sugar, you know?

What you're talking about is PKU, I think.  Phenylketonuria.  It's not an allergy to phenylalanine, so much as the body's inability to convert it to tyrosine.  If your body builds up too much phenylalinine a lot of bad things happen.  Retardation, fairer skin, and just oodles of badness.  That's why you see some people have to be so strict with what they put in their mouths because so much stuff has aspartame and random junk in it that we just don't worry about.
Anyways, all children should be tested for PKU right at birth, it's one of the standard tests on newborns, I think. 

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #28 on: Thursday, November 16, 2006, 01:40:18 AM »
This thread makes me feel stupid.

Im gonna go back to eating my greasy burgers and fries.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, November 16, 2006, 07:35:08 AM »
What you're talking about is PKU, I think.  Phenylketonuria.  It's not an allergy to phenylalanine, so much as the body's inability to convert it to tyrosine.  If your body builds up too much phenylalinine a lot of bad things happen.  Retardation, fairer skin, and just oodles of badness.  That's why you see some people have to be so strict with what they put in their mouths because so much stuff has aspartame and random junk in it that we just don't worry about.
Anyways, all children should be tested for PKU right at birth, it's one of the standard tests on newborns, I think. 

Yeah, that's it. You can't get it from Nutra Sweet, though.  There just simply isn't enough phenylalanine produced, no matter how many you drink, and if you weren't born deficient of the enzyme that it needs, then you never will be.  It only happened in rats because they store urine differently than humans, and the conversion is likely renal (kidneys), so I'm thinking that's why they developed the tumors.  I don't really know for sure since I haven't read enough about it, but it makes the most sense.

The warning is probably on there for people who already have the disorder so they know to avoid it.  I think the issue with the artificial sweeteners is that people were under the impression that it actually caused the disorder, rather than perpetuated it.  People with PKU would avoid it, but everyone else is at no risk.  Although, even for people with PKU, the phenylalanine in aspartame is still such a negligible amount that it'd do no damage.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, November 16, 2006, 04:34:53 PM »
If there is the slightest hint that a product or ingredient could cause harm manufacturers will stick a warning label on it.  For some reason  People just take the warning labels on articficial sweeterners more seriously.  I personally think diet soft drinks taste like ass.  If I want a pop I'll just deal with the sugar, if I'm worried that it may make me a fatass I'll drink water.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, November 16, 2006, 05:39:26 PM »
If there is the slightest hint that a product or ingredient could cause harm manufacturers will stick a warning label on it.  For some reason  People just take the warning labels on articficial sweeterners more seriously.  I personally think diet soft drinks taste like ass.  If I want a pop I'll just deal with the sugar, if I'm worried that it may make me a fatass I'll drink water.
*Cha-Ching!*