Author Topic: "Wake up, Geek culture, time to die"  (Read 1742 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
"Wake up, Geek culture, time to die"
« on: Tuesday, December 28, 2010, 07:33:06 PM »

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: "Wake up, Geek culture, time to die"
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2010, 08:49:59 PM »
Really enjoyed that.  And it's true to an extent.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: "Wake up, Geek culture, time to die"
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, December 28, 2010, 08:52:09 PM »
Well... shit.  That was brilliant.  It waxes a bit ridiculous as it goes, but his initial analysis is spot-on.  I have stopped to think about it over the years but never tried to put it into words.  Despite coming into a lot of this later in the game, as likely did most of us here, I feel keenly the absence of the thrill that I knew when I was younger.  Perhaps that's why I've abandoned so much of what I once loved.  Not because everything created is worthless, but because so little of it, even if this is the fault of the world into which it was born and not its own, can stimulate or excite the same way when all eyes are cast upon it, watching and cataloging its every move.  I never gave Patton Oswalt all that much credit, though he certainly has his moments of cleverness, but here I think he hit on an important truth, the primary point of his article aside: a band doesn't cease being cool just because everyone discovers them, it ceases being cool when there's nothing left of them to discover for yourself.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野