Author Topic: Final Fantasy XV  (Read 11253 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Final Fantasy XV
« on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 02:57:07 AM »
Some actualy gameplay footage in the Japanese gameplay reveal trailer!

I'm anxious because it looks like it'll be what I was hoping: not FFXIII.

EDIT:
Title updated.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 08:07:50 PM by Xessive »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Final Fantasy Versus XIII
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 08:25:09 AM »
I really like the art design, characters, and production values of these Square Enix games... but they've got to back it up with some solid gameplay and better storytelling mechanics.  Let's hope this will be different.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Monday, June 10, 2013, 07:23:17 PM »
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 18, 2014, 04:30:27 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 08:26:00 PM by MysterD »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2015, 01:27:16 AM »
Almost made a FF XV thread but this thread will do, should probably rename the title.

Anyway, here's one of the games ridiculous summons:

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2015, 05:06:50 AM »
Holy... :o

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, March 17, 2015, 07:14:24 AM »
Hahaha!  Literally way over the top.  It reminded me of Kung Fu Hustle's Palm of Buddha:

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 03:23:22 PM »
Some actualy gameplay footage in the Japanese gameplay reveal trailer!

I'm anxious because it looks like it'll be what I was hoping: not FFXIII.

I'm actually digging FF13, so... :P

EDIT:
Almost made a FF XV thread but this thread will do, should probably rename the title.
Yeah, Xessive needs to get on that and rename this thread to Final Fantasy XV.
XV looks great, so far - hope it gets a PC version.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, March 22, 2015, 05:22:02 PM »
I completely lost interest in the Final Fantasy series after FF9, and haven't thought any of them look even remotely interesting. This one somehow looks like it could be fun though. I don't like the way the characters run though. I don't get why so many Korean and Japanese games have their characters lean at a 45 degree angle when they run. People don't run like that, and it looks like they're running up a hill, or maybe rollerblading.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Final Fantasy XV
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2015, 09:15:23 AM »
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD coming to PC on 18 AUG 2015!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, August 08, 2015, 06:42:46 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, August 08, 2015, 06:52:47 AM »
Siliconera -> Avalanche Studios + Square Enix are in talks for Square to maybe use some of Avalanche's technology (from Just Cause 3) for flight controls on possibly flying airships in FFXV.

Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata had a lot to share during his recent Active Time Report at Gamescom 2015, and he still had a little bit more to reveal in an interview with Famitsu.

During the interview with Famitsu, Tabata mentioned that he’s just been allowed to make public that Final Fantasy XV and Just Cause 3 developers Avalance Studios are working on a technical collaboration for Final Fantasy XV.

According to Tabata, the technology behind Just Cause’s aerial controls are highly unique, and the way it is done seamlessly is something that you don’t see often from other games or studios.

“We don’t have any knowhow when it comes to that, so during this year’s GDC we spoke with them, and they also showed some interest in the technology behind Final Fantasy XV, so the talks continued from there, and now I’ve been given the permission to make it public just today,” says Tabata. “This is something that barely started out, but it’s something of which both the Final Fantasy XV team and Avalanche Studio team have very  high expectations.

Famitsu asks what kind of aerial control technologies from Just Cause are they planning to implement into Final Fantasy XV.

My personal goal is to implement airships that can fly around in full-scale,” responds Tabata. “I’m not certain whether we’ll be able to make it on time for the retail release, but I think we should do even if it means releasing it after as a download. I’d like to have the challenge of being able to fly around the world. I would like to experience that, and I’m sure the fans would also like to experience that, too."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, February 03, 2016, 05:41:39 PM »
GameSpot is saying FF XV might be coming to the PC.
Code was found on the event page in JavaScript that is hinting at it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, March 31, 2016, 10:36:09 AM »

I probably won't actually ever finish this game and I probably won't even enjoy it because I'll decide it's too weird and anime, but fuck me - I'm going to have to buy it.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Friday, April 01, 2016, 12:16:19 PM »
I played through the demo, and it was pretty fun. The combat seems fun, even though I don't feel like I completely understand it. Particularly near the end I can't figure out exactly what causes the QTE that does a bunch of damage. Also sometimes I could do my teleport strike thing to an enemy and I was either floating around him or climbing him or something, and I have no idea how I did it lol. Also I'mnot sure why everything is mapped to the face buttons while all camera control is left up to the player. There's nothing on the shoulders and triggers except an attack that requires you to hit LB+RB.

I had fun with it though, and I'll probably get it when it comes out. That'll make it the first FF game I've played since 9. Well I tried 10, but got bored and quit within an hour or two.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Friday, October 07, 2016, 05:45:33 PM »
PC Gamer - FFXV director Hajime Tabata says that it would take over a year to bring this to the PC properly.

Basically, Tabata has a more technically developed version in mind (for the PC) w/ more technology, content and features than what they're bringing to the consoles.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Friday, October 07, 2016, 11:56:36 PM »
That sounds cool to me.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, October 09, 2016, 06:09:25 AM »
It's a shame that it wasn't being developed concurrently, but y'know what, whatever it takes to make this game great!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 03:34:42 PM »
FF XV: Windows Edition - PC Reveal Trailer:

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »
FF XV: Windows Edition - PC Recommended Specs info:
Game-Debate - FF XV: Windows Edition PC Recommended Specs revealed (which look to be aiming at 4K+).

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz or AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.7 GHz
RAM: 16 GB System Memory
GPU RAM: 11GB Video Memory
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
HDD: 170GB Available hard drive space

DX: DirectX 11

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 09:04:18 AM »
That actually looks pretty impressive.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, August 24, 2017, 06:17:05 PM »
170GB? Holy shit.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, August 24, 2017, 06:29:10 PM »
170GB? Holy shit.

Yep. Supposedly, these were specs were posted w/ the trailer and then pulled.
A lot were complaining of the game's file-size.

If Square's smart, they might make any unnecessary stuff for most players - i.e. any higher-end textures at 1440p, 4K, 8K, etc; and any non-USA voice-work/audio - optional free DLC's on Steam.
Many still are at 1080p, for crying out loud.
Personally, I would be fine w/ 1440p textures, TBH.

Not everybody wants to eat up almost 200GB of both their ISP's download data cap (if they have one) and actual local HDD space. I certainly don't want to, if I don't need to.

Geez, and I thought it was crazy the Gears of War 4 PC demo was eating up around 100GB of HDD space.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, August 26, 2017, 06:50:13 AM »
PC Gamer - More on PC version of FF XV

-- PC version will be found on either Steam or Origin
-- Steam version will have Steam WorkShop support to allow for modding
-- PC version won't be locked to 30FPS
-- PC version should run fine on most systems from the last few years
-- PC version should run fine on systems similar to the consoles FFXV is already on (Playstation 4 & X Box One)
-- It will be very hard to max the game out with 60FPS at native 4K with HDR
-- So far, the GTX 1080 Ti with 11 GB (around $700-800 for this card) is not enough to get a consistent 60FPS with the game maxed-out at 4K with HDR.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, October 28, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »
Windows 10 Store - Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition system requirements listed.

System Requirements

Minimum
DirectX: Version 11
Memory: 8 GB
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 2400(3.1GHz 以上) または AMD FX™-6100 (3.3GHz 以上)
Graphics: GeForce GTX760

Recommended
DirectX: Version 11
Memory: 16 GB
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 3770(3.4GHz 以上) または AMD FX™-8350 (4.0 GHz 以上)
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 10:15:44 PM »
This game really let me down. 

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, December 28, 2017, 06:18:02 AM »
Um, elaborate?  It's one of my "someday" games.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, December 28, 2017, 08:17:49 AM »
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum as gpw, as I was pleasantly surprised by how good the game was.  I came into the game cautiously, not expecting much, but by the end of the game I was loving it. I spent 120 hours exploring every inch of the world and completing all of the sidequests.  The world is fun to explore and of course very pretty to look at.  I was initially put off by the pretty boy characters, but was surprised by how much I ended up liking them towards the end.  I played with the Japanese audio so I don't know how much the English voice acting shakes out over a long stretch of time.  Speaking of audio, the music is also really good too.

There are definitely some problems with the game that keep it from being a top tier FF game to me though.  The main problems I had were the odd pacing of the story where it seemed like certain parts didn't get fleshed out as much as the developers intended.  The pacing problem mainly came in the middle part of the game's story and was actually letting me down a little bit on one really drawn out area where you are playing as Noctis by himself.  After that part though, the story falls into place again and doesn't let up with the action and drama all the way until the last few hours of the game with an amazing conclusion.  My other main concern is the combat.  The combat looks cool and can be kind of fun when you are fighting some of the bigger monsters, but as a whole it is a little too simplistic for my tastes.

Overall, I enjoyed most of my time with the game and was glad I played it.  If the team that made FFXV can take the lessons they learned from the rocky development of the game and polish the rough parts of it, FFXVI might be something special.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, December 28, 2017, 08:27:24 AM »
Hard to believe this thread got started over 6 years ago (nearly 7).  FF XV has been a long time getting here.  That often doesn't bode well for the end result.  I'm glad you liked it so well.  From your comments, I think I could really get into it.  Thanks.

But I still want gpw to weigh in.  What's the beef, man?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, December 30, 2017, 12:43:46 AM »

But I still want gpw to weigh in.  What's the beef, man?

Let me start off by saying I really wanted to like this game.  I liked the premise, the style, and a lot of what I had seen.  I watched the Netflix movie that sets up the plot and dug it.  It actually sold me on the game more. I had oft wanted a FF game with some political intrigue, etc and this seemed like it. I started up the game and the opening scene where they play the Stand By Me cover in the trailer while the camera pans up to the sky to show the logo just hit me and further sold it to me.

There were just things I couldn't overlook that I knew would ruin it for me.

- As soon as they let me drive the car I did.  I quickly went back to auto-driving.  Driving the car was dumb and frustrating. It's like a slow boat and you basically only have control of what lane you're in, what offramps you take, and where you go at intersections. "That's just like driving a car!" you say.....but no, this really felt bad and boring to me

-The car in general was annoying to me.  In the first area it was fine at first. Take a mission, drive a minute, get to the destination (or where you can park for it).  A couple of hours later and those short drives started growing to three minutes +.  Listening to the Final Fantasy soundtracks from previous games while driving was cool, but I found the music navigation really lacking and....wait, what? Changing the radio station shouldn't be the primary form of entertainment in a large portion of any modern video game. I found the drives back and forth pretty boring.  This eventually killed my desire to do side missions because I'd think "Okay, I have to drive there for two and a half minutes, do whatever for probably a minute or two, and then drive back for two and a half minutes more.  Fuck it,
     I don't care about the gil anyways"  I'm guessing this might get better later, but it seemed a large part of the game for me and I really wasn't into it when the only things to break up the monotony was the radio and the characters occasionally talking to each other.

-The load times, on PS4 at least, killed the fast travel option to get around driving. Also, who wants to fast travel EVERYWHERE in an open world game.

-To the above points, it could be because I'm coming off of Horizon Zero Dawn, but that game made exploring and traveling the world fun and interesting. Here, I found it to be a chore.

-There were small things that added up for me. You can't fast forward time to change the day/night cycle. I took on a few monster hunting jobs at once, planned a route, turned down the option I was given upon taking the job to wait until night, as I didn't want to miss the other two that I believe needed it to be day (and I didn't want to have to manually drive the car to those two, as you must do at night). When I reached the third, which required it to be night time, I couldn't complete it.  I made camp right beside the monster location, thinking that would do it.  Nope, that just made it earlier in the morning the next day.  I figured I was missing something here, and looked it up online (with the car issue as well).  Nope, that's just how it is.

-I found the majority of the sidequests I took on pretty boring and mundane. The Witcher 3, for example has about a billion Points of Interest and tons of side quests.  Every side quest is interesting and the vast majority of the POIs are either interesting or rewarding - and they're categorized so you quickly know which ones you might want to avoid. I found this to be a crapshoot.  Actually (and my experience is pretty limited here), I didn't find any interesting. Witcher 3 is a really high bar and I don't expect any game to really strive for what they did there, but I found this to be just the other end of the spectrum completely.

-Little issues with the combat.  In and of itself, I couldn't tell if I liked it or hated it. At times I found it fun, at times confusing, at times just straight up boring. Weapon chaining and warping - great. But sometimes it seemed like there was too much going on, sometimes not enough, and the "flow" to it just didn't seem great. This may go away with experience.  Also, I had some issues where I'd be staring straight at a warp point and it'd be highlighted but I'd warp somewhere else completely.  Or I'd be locked onto an enemy and go to warp to them and overshoot them or something dumb like that. It all just kind of added up to to me.

-I kinda felt like they threw too many systems at me at once, with the food, photography, up-gradable weapons, non up-gradable weapons, Weapons that use your HP, hunts, info gathering, the different procurement points, the magic system, etc.  It didn't seem insurmountable and I liked that there WERE so many systems, but introducing them all in the first hour with little explanation really just was a bit overwhelming in a game I was already kind of being unsure about.  I"m sure the systems aren't that complicated and are well implemented (really, there's little to most of them) but there was like an hour and half where I was playing where I was like "there is so much shit to do and learn but I don't want to do any of it because it'll add up to 30 minutes of driving. I'm just going to the next story mission"

To it's credit - it's like the first Final Fantasy game since X where the voice acting etc didn't turn me off for being way too anime. The first RPG probably in forever where I was like "Yeah, this world, premise, and environment is compelling" I thought the music was fantastic and had high hopes for the whole package. I MAY have just hit a rough spot that was heightened coming off of some other games, but it was a REAL rough spot.

I didn't have any problem with the story, but maybe I didn't get to that point yet as I've heard a lot of people say negative things.  I WILL, however, say that it's kind of bullshit you have to watch the Kingsglaive movie to get a lot of it.  Or at least I assume so. I don't think I would have had a good grasp of some of the larger plot points I had run into in-game if I hadn't watched that. I enjoyed watching it, but if I just hadn't for whatever reason (like it wasn't on Netflix), I think I would have been lost and that seems like poor planning.

These all might seem a bit nitpicky, but they added up for me, and when I'm like 5 hours into a long game like this and it's coming up already,

[/list]
    « Last Edit: Saturday, December 30, 2017, 11:05:19 AM by gpw11 »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
    « Reply #30 on: Monday, January 01, 2018, 11:07:07 AM »
    Thanks for putting all that together.  I find the use of automobiles quite incongruous in a Final Fantasy.  Then you get past that only to find out you can't control them as you'd expect.  It seems . . . weird.  I did experience a bit of the combat, in the demo, and again, weird.  I don't know, maybe my expectations have become too rigid over the years.  I'll keep an open mind, but I have plenty of other stuff to keep me occupied for now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
    « Reply #31 on: Monday, March 05, 2018, 04:31:29 PM »
    The demo's up for the FFXV PC Version on Steam. It's around 20GB.

Anyways, some thoughts on it:
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TGAEC/discussions/0/1694914736010525697/

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
    « Reply #32 on: Friday, April 06, 2018, 05:35:10 PM »
    Even more FF15 Comrades content and Episode DLC's will be coming:
    https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xv-is-never-ever-going-to-end-1825057027

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
    « Reply #33 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2018, 10:14:14 PM »
    Final Fantasy XV News:

Kotaku - 3 of the 4 of those next wave of DLC's that were planned just got cancelled:
    https://kotaku.com/75-of-final-fantasy-xvs-dlc-just-got-cancelled-1830300475

Ardyn's DLC is the only one that will be coming now.
    The Aranea, Luna and Noctis DLC's all have been cancelled.

IGN - Game Director Hajime Tabata has also left Square Enix:
    https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/11/08/final-fantasy-xv-director-leaving-square-enix

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
    « Reply #34 on: Monday, May 10, 2021, 11:08:02 PM »
    Thanks for putting all that together.  I find the use of automobiles quite incongruous in a Final Fantasy.  Then you get past that only to find out you can't control them as you'd expect.  It seems . . . weird.  I did experience a bit of the combat, in the demo, and again, weird.  I don't know, maybe my expectations have become too rigid over the years.  I'll keep an open mind, but I have plenty of other stuff to keep me occupied for now.

It's hard to believe this was from 2018.  I started playing this again as it's a pretty good game to counter the tension of Returnal and I'm liking it a lot more after taking my original step back.  The driving thing still is kind of weird but countered very nicely by the quicker load times on the PS5 - I either take the long route and let the car drive for like 5 minutes while I make a coffee or something or I just fast travel...but I'm enjoying the actual auto drive on the car more as I go and get more invested in the world and characters. 

The Royal addition's weapons have made combat a lot better in the early game where you're now actively engaging in concepts in the systems that I was ignoring like positioning and that thing where you throw your fucking sword in some dude's face from 20 yards away.

All in all I might fall off but it seems a lot more enjoyable this time around  - now I just need to find where I can buy the FFVI soundtrack for my sweet ride.