Author Topic: Gabe Newell loses his mind  (Read 1608 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Gabe Newell loses his mind
« on: Sunday, May 15, 2011, 07:21:46 PM »
Its sad, really.

We’re more looking into what Valve can do with payment services than engine services.

The industry has this broken model, which is one price for everyone. That’s actually a bug, and it’s something that we want to solve through our philosophy of how we create entertainment products.

What you really want to do is create the optimal pricing service for each customer and see what’s best for them. We need to give customers, all of them, a robust set of options regarding how they pay for their content.

An example is – and this is something as an industry we should be doing better – is charging customers based on how much fun they are to play with. Some people, when they join a server, a ton of people will run with them. Other people, when they join a server, will cause others to leave. We should have a way of capturing that. We should have a way of rewarding the people who are good for our community.

So, in practice, a really likable person in our community should get Dota 2 for free, because of past behaviour in Team Fortress 2. Now, a real jerk that annoys everyone, they can still play, but a game is full price and they have to pay an extra hundred dollars if they want voice.
Ok, I get the idea behind that but there is no way its going to fly.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Gabe Newell loses his mind
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, May 15, 2011, 09:19:09 PM »
I'm all for rewarding the cooperative, socially constructive players but this is ridiculous.

Why not just go with the classic "community awards" where people can vote who their favourite player in a match was, end of the month the results are tallied and the winner gets some bonus stuff. As for the bad apples? I think getting kicked/voted off a server is a fair penalty: be a dick you'll get kicked, change and you can stick around.

Also, how will this identify players who are "nice" in one game but "mean" in another? I generally try to be cooperative and a team player but in games like TF2 I can't help but get agitated and go aggro on occasion.

Aside from that it just feels like Gabe is trying to set laws for politness.. In reality there's no law against being an asshole; Karma takes care of it instead. In the game world I don't see why it has to be enforced.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, May 15, 2011, 09:29:09 PM »
I think a more workable solution would be simply giving discounts to helpful/good people. "Hey, you're a good dude! Heres 20% off your next Steam purchase." If you're good you get a bonus, if you're bad or just neutral...no bonus.

You will get kindness with rewards, punishment will only earn resentment.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, May 15, 2011, 10:11:07 PM »
I think a more workable solution would be simply giving discounts to helpful/good people. "Hey, you're a good dude! Heres 20% off your next Steam purchase." If you're good you get a bonus, if you're bad or just neutral...no bonus.

You will get kindness with rewards, punishment will only earn resentment.
That makes sense.

I don't mind punishment as long as it's something like "For being a dick, the next 3 matches you will start with half-ammo" or "reduced speed" or something quirky like that :P It's more of a ridicule than a punishment that even the other players can mildly enjoy! hehe

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, May 15, 2011, 10:27:42 PM »
I... what?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 07:09:47 AM »
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.  That's what.  This guy can do whatever he wants now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 09:21:19 AM »
That's true, but what kind of batshit insane idea is that? Maybe his new brilliant idea is what people need to finally realize this fucking Jabba the Hutt isn't their savior.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 09:30:47 AM »
Heh.  I'm with you there.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 10:18:11 AM »
Anyone else get the impression Gabe may have been a victim of cyber-bullying? Maybe someone pwned him one too many times?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 10:53:36 AM »
hahaha I don't know why you guys are more angry than amused. WTF?

I mean really... wtf?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 11:01:54 AM »
I'm not angry.  I suppose if I used Steam I might get a bit worried.  But I don't.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 11:28:45 AM »
I'm not angry either. I just think the guy's an idiot.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #12 on: Monday, May 16, 2011, 12:30:39 PM »
This idea is dumb.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 05:59:17 AM »
He's starting to sound like the Donald Trump of gaming.

But I guess as long as he keeps putting out good stuff..
Suck it, Pugnate.