Author Topic: Have an old 360? MS might break it/replace it for you.  (Read 1095 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Have an old 360? MS might break it/replace it for you.
« on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 08:40:36 AM »
Check your emails

Microsoft is doing something with the disc drive in the next firmware update, possibly giving developers an extra GB of space. If you connect to Live then MS can detect whether the new firmware update will not work on your system. They will send you an email saying they will replace your Xbox with a new model plus give you a free year of Live Gold.

Thats really nice of them, but man this gen has been a trainwreck...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Have an old 360? MS might break it/replace it for you.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 09:16:17 AM »
No email so far.  My current one is fairly new (Jasper chipset, about a year and a half old).  But I still have my Xenon warranty replacement (as dead as what it replaced) put away in a box.  Looks like I'll be refusing the update until the dust settles (as I usually do), so I better grab what I really want from XBLA right now.  Thanks for the heads up.

I want to find more details on this.  Does it affect all discs (unforgivably dumb), or only new discs (that use the new format)?  Which consoles or makes/models of DVD drives does it affect?

Edit:
Quote from: Kris Graft
Microsoft did not give serial numbers or manufacturing dates of affected consoles. If you have an incompatible Xbox 360, you will get an email (Microsoft can detect this through Xbox Live) or you'll get the disc read error, as stated in the article. We have contacted MS for more details.
Comment to same article

Ah, OK.  That excludes my dead box then.  Dammit.  Would have been nice.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 09:19:48 AM »
I have an old Xbox 360 (20GB model)... I haven't received any email yet though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 09:20:34 AM »
Hmm. I have no idea what to make of that. My launch 360 still isn't dead, which neither myself or anyone else can believe, so I really wouldn't mind getting a new unit. But on the other hand, I'd hate to get rid of this one since it's actually lasted. I've got to be in the tiniest minority ever on that one.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野