Author Topic: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag  (Read 25436 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
« Reply #80 on: Monday, December 15, 2014, 06:42:32 PM »
Holy shit, this game.

I bought a boxed copy a couple of weeks ago for $9.99 shipped because you talked about it so highly.  I put it in last week, played a couple of hours liked what I played in that Assasin's Creed sort of way, and then just didn't go back.  Last Saturday I was taking it easy at home, decided to drink a beer or two and play some video games. Started it up again, and god damn!  All of a sudden it's like 5 hours later, I'm having the time of my life and I'm 12 beers deep.  I actually had to stop because I was no longer coordinated enough to play to an adequate level.....but I didn't want to.

I can't think of any other time where I've played a game and my jaw dropped more than once, but there is just so much that's amazingly fun about this game.  Sailing through a hurricane?  Jaw dropping shit eating grin on my face. My first epic sea battle?  Yeah, jaw dropped and then shit eating grin.  Fucking using that contraption to quick mount my mass and then leaping over to their ship and into the midst of battle?  God damn, yes my jaw dropped and a shit eating grin spread across my face. 

Not to mention all the other stuff that's just plain cool - harpooning marine life, exploring tropical islands, searching for treasure, etc etc.  I'm incredibly impressed.  Hell, I even tried the second screen app out and it's even fucking cool. 

The only complaint I have with this at all is that I don't know if my character is actually an Assassin or not.   I mean, I don't really care, but it would make more sense if I was like inducted to the order or something, or just masquerading as one.  Accepting assassination contracts just feels out of place at this point in the story.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: Monday, December 15, 2014, 11:27:17 PM »
Telling you how he fits into the creed would be a spoiler at this point, so I won't.  It is so exciting and liberating, isn't it?  It's the biggest reason Unity feels fenced in despite its huge setting, after having the Caribbean to sail free.  Oh, man, I wish I could drink like that at my age.  It would just kill me.  I've had a bit of rum & OJ tonight, but any more, and I'll be a wreck tomorrow.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 05:35:52 PM »
Holy shit, this game.

I bought a boxed copy a couple of weeks ago for $9.99 shipped because you talked about it so highly.
Which platform you playing this on?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 10:30:17 PM »
Telling you how he fits into the creed would be a spoiler at this point, so I won't.  It is so exciting and liberating, isn't it?  It's the biggest reason Unity feels fenced in despite its huge setting, after having the Caribbean to sail free.  Oh, man, I wish I could drink like that at my age.  It would just kill me.  I've had a bit of rum & OJ tonight, but any more, and I'll be a wreck tomorrow.

No spoilers!

Exciting and liberating are exactly the perfect terms to describe the feeling.  I don't know when else I felt this way playing a game.  GTA5 was great but didn't have the same kind of impact for me. 

I've always liked the AC games but had a hard time playing them.  I finished the first, got maybe 50% through the second and then just couldn't stomach the other games in the Ezio trilogy.  I tried playing AC3, but the performance was terrible on my PC and the formula felt stale.  This is something else though and really shows how they can take advantage of different timelines to really give the games completely different feels and open them up (although they don't really...so far).  I don't know what else they could do that would really change the nature of the game as much as the pirate aspect, but I didn't really think this setting would have as big of an impact as it did either. 

It's sort of sad to hear that Unity closed everything up again, but I can understand why to a point - it probably started development before Black Flag did even. Plus, the environment doesn't really lend itself to anything beyond classic AC gameplay.  I'm really happy to see that you can rate missions here and can only hope that has an impact on the future games, as does Black Flag's critical success (it seems like this was just something they stumbled upon while reading the reactions to AC3). 

Which platform you playing this on?

PS3.  Kind of funny, but this game would have sold me on a PS4 if I knew how good it was before hand.  I'd love to play it with the smoother frame rate in towns and extra graphical effects. 

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, December 24, 2014, 07:39:28 PM »
And I have to stop playing this.  Not because it's bad but rather the complete opposite - I lose so much time,  "I'll just do one more mission" "Oh, a whaling spot!", "Well, fuck this fort is right here" "Better take this navel contract because I'll probably not be back here"

Aaaand it's six hours later.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #85 on: Sunday, January 04, 2015, 04:19:43 PM »
After a little over 46 hours, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag PC's Single Player Campaign is now in the books.
Fantastic game - and IMHO, the best AC game since probably the double-threat of AC2 + AC: Brotherhood.

EDIT:
Not because it's bad but rather the complete opposite - I lose so much time,  "I'll just do one more mission" "Oh, a whaling spot!", "Well, fuck this fort is right here" "Better take this navel contract because I'll probably not be back here"

Aaaand it's six hours later.
Oh, man - I know that feeling. There's so much to do - there's the side-quests; areas to explore; things of time; and just free-roaming the game-world there's tons of ships just roaming to board/take/sink.
This game's just crack.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, September 04, 2019, 08:11:27 PM »