Author Topic: Yakuza 7  (Read 5086 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Yakuza 7
« on: Thursday, August 29, 2019, 10:49:42 AM »
Yakuza 7 has been announced and will make some changes to the franchise:
https://www.fanatical.com/en/blog/yakuza-7-officially-announced-with-big-changes-for-the-franchise

Info:
- Ichiban Kasuga is the lead character, in this story/game.
- Takes place after Kasuga gets out of prison some 18 years later, after taking the fall for his boss' crimes.
- Tojo Clan has fallen; meanwhile the Police,  Omi Alliance, and Yakuza run Kamurocho.
- His boss tries to kill him and leaves Kasuga in Yokohama.
- This game will take place in Yokohama.
- Combat is no longer real-time and no longer free-flowing.
- Combat is now some type of turn-based combat system.
- You will have followers and squad members with you.
- Battles can have sub-battles going on also.

Picture of combat:

Trailer (in Japanese):

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Yakuza 7
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, August 29, 2019, 10:50:30 AM »
[Place-holder.]

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, August 29, 2019, 06:34:11 PM »
Yakuza is probably my favorite game series, and this all sounds so interesting to me. They are basically JRPGs at heart with brawler combat so the switch to a turn based system seems like it should work out ok but will be a very drastic change for the fans. Especially here in the west. Yakuza has just recently sorta broken through and become popular here so I wonder how many people this change will turn off.

There was a video that everyone thought was an April Fools joke but it looks like its just an early version of this.

If it takes positioning into account it could get real neat. In this video you see one of your party members get tackled to the ground, and then another one distracts the enemy. Now the first character is in a position to attack from behind which is pretty neat.

My worry is it bogging things down. A lot of times later in the game I'd get annoyed getting into a fight because it stops whatever it was you were doing and you had to deal with the fight. Even if it was over quickly because you are stupidly overpowered it could get annoying. Turn based fights might slow things down even more. Or maybe if you're powerful the enemies will run away from you, who knows. There are some things they can do about that.

They've made so many games that I've enjoyed that I'm very much willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they can pull this off.

EDIT: another thing is the things I always remember from Yakuza fights are pulling off all the heat actions. These battles will pretty much be all that, nicely animated fighting rather than you swinging and missing and other silly things because its a video game. Might make fights look even better.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 30, 2019, 07:03:41 PM »
More details on the combat.

#5: When you enter battle, enemies, party members, and even the “city” will remain in motion. They don’t stop moving. Characters will turn towards nearby enemies and keep their distance. And naturally, since these battles take place in the city, characters will fall if they bump into things like street signs or bicycles.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 10:00:12 AM »
I was initially dead set against the new combat system.  It's not "Yakuza".  But I think I've warmed to the idea, and if done correctly might give the series the refreshing it probably needs at this point.