Author Topic: I need a new computer.  (Read 8719 times)

Offline Sandman

• n00b
I need a new computer.
« on: Monday, March 28, 2011, 06:11:16 PM »
Hi, everyone.  I am scottws' brother.  He is horrible.

Anyways, my laptop recently bit the dust (I think), and now I need a new computer.  I don't really have much use for a laptop anymore since I'm no longer in school, so I've been considering buying/building a desktop even prior to my laptop's untimely demise.

First, for those experienced or "in-the-know", I'd like to know if I should buy or build my computer.  As a preliminary guess, my budget is somewhere around $1000-1200 which would have to include a monitor.  I'm trying to put together a decent gaming rig, if possible.  Is it significantly cheaper or cheaper at all to build a desktop, or buy one from a manufacturer?  I'd have to imagine manufacturers get their parts for cheaper, but you save on the labor.  Speaking of labor, I haven't the slightest clue how to build a computer, so I'd have to do a lot of research (any good links?) and also have Scott, who is horrible, help me.

If you think it is better for me to buy a computer, do you have any particular models to suggest that are at or around my price range?

If you think I should build a computer, can you help guide me towards a graphics card, motherboard, and any other significant parts that would help me in my quest?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: I need a new computer.
« Reply #1 on: Monday, March 28, 2011, 06:26:28 PM »
My computer + monitor was $2,000.  Then again, my monitor was $600 alone which was ridiculous.  And that's 2007 parts.

Building a computer isn't always cheaper, but it generally is a better machine.  Home machines from the OEMs are made with crappy parts unless you get an Alienware or Dell XPS and business machines are built for stability and not speed.  When you build your own machine you get to choose the quality and speed of everything.

Of course I'll help you build it because you are an idiot and would screw it up.

I'll have to defer to Pugnate for some of those things though because I haven't kept up with current tech.  He always seems to know what the current video card and CPU scene looks like.

Offline Sandman

• n00b
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 06:36:43 PM »
I regret calling my brother horrible, as he is the only one who has responded!

Someone please point me in the right direction, if you could.  I need to get moving on this.  I can't play StarCraft II on my Droid!

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 07:05:11 PM »
I really don't think you can go wrong with just buying parts that fit your budget at this point.  Just list what you have in mind and we can tell you if it's a good system or not. 

At this point though, if I were going to get a gaming system, I would just get an Alienware (the Aurora).  It'll cost you a little more but then you don't have to worry about building the machine yourself.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #4 on: Friday, April 01, 2011, 08:09:24 AM »
But building the PC is half the fun. The only real recommendation in terms of video card is to get a Geforce 560 Ti, its an excellent graphics card at a really good price, its the best mid range card on the market right now. As far as the processor goes, I'm not sure to go with a Core i5 or i7. Hopefully Pug sees this, he can probably help you the most.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, April 02, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »
Hello!

Sorry I've been meaning to reply, but my personal life has been getting in the way. :P

I haven't been in touch with hardware for a bit, but in terms of processor, I highly recommend you go for sandy bridge. The Core i5 2500K is apparently what everyone is recommending, as it is an easy overclocker, and can get you performance worth a much more expensive chip. Even at stock speeds that's the processor to go for.

Why don't you post a list of what you are looking at and I can have a look at it?

I will definitely try to make something up on my own for the $1200 budget including the monitor tomorrow or so.

edit:

Also welcome to the boards. :)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, April 02, 2011, 02:54:12 PM »
Here is what I have come up with so far:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AlpFOsN1c8BedGxBSmZFS2JiQmFQbXJpX190LXFxZVE&hl=en&authkey=CLGQ4Y0O

Note that there are two tabs.  I did the high-end one first because I've always found it to be a good starting point.  Build a totally kick-ass system and then slowly start knocking the price down part-by-part.

I'm really struggling on the HSF.
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 02, 2011, 03:24:08 PM by scottws »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Friday, April 15, 2011, 05:48:13 AM »
Sorry about that some personal issues and stuff had me down and I tried to sure down and get something productive but my heart wasn't in it.

Anyway, had a vacation and I am back in form so I will pay my opinions soon if they will still help.