Author Topic: Streets of Rage 4  (Read 4193 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Streets of Rage 4
« on: Friday, May 01, 2020, 03:26:31 PM »
SOR4 is out now & getting really good reviews:
84 for PC version on Metacritic - https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/streets-of-rage-4/critic-reviews
81 for PS4 on Metacritic - https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/streets-of-rage-4
81 for Switch on Metacritic - https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/streets-of-rage-4

The game's campaign is about 1 hr 30 m or so.

But EVERY character from EVERY SoR game is playable in SoR4. Even different versions of say Axel from SOR1 and SOR2, with their own move-sets - they're here!

So, this is gonna be very replayable, for fans of the SoR games.

Also, SoR4 is in the Xbox Console Game Pass and Xbox PC Game Pass.
I'll report more on this game, since I am on Xbox PC Game Pass. I'm definitely checking this out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Streets of Rage 4
« Reply #1 on: Friday, May 01, 2020, 03:26:41 PM »
[Place-holder]

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Friday, May 01, 2020, 09:51:02 PM »
It looks really good, I'll definitely get it at some point

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, May 02, 2020, 10:04:10 AM »
I'd like to grab this at some point, though will likely wait for a sale. Are any of the other SoR games on Switch? Like arcade archives or anything?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, May 02, 2020, 05:58:25 PM »
Played some Streets of Rage 4 on XB for PC Game Pass yesterday and today.

And finished it!

Took about 5 hours to go through Story Mode and its 12 Stages/Levels, on my first run. I was playing on Normal, so...those finishing earlier must be great at this game, speed-runners, and/or maybe playing on Easy Mode. The game does have its difficulty spikes here and there - but, I still managed my way through it, somehow and some way.

The game's awesome. This game has no performance issues or hiccups on anything I tossed it at. I tried my Acer gaming laptop (i7 4720HQ; 16 GB RAM; 4GB GTX 960m; W10 x64) and also my SC15 laptop (i7 7700HQ; 16 GB RAM; 6GB GTX 1060; W10 x64) - and it run perfect. Runs smooth as can be and plays great, feeling like another old-school Streets of Rage game. If that's what you wanted - i.e. another Streets of Rage game - you're going to feel right at home here. Butter smooth controls. It just feels great, on my Xbox for Windows PC Gamepad (USB-based).

While SoR4 doesn't entirely look like the old-style of SoR games with their graphics in style here, as that was in a much different style - well, this game with its new look really looks great, with a lot of its graphics looking like a mixture between cel-shaded, comic book look, and a hand-drawn painting. No matter what, it still just looks fantastic here, in its new art style.

Plenty of nods and nostalgia to other classic SoR games are here - characters, enemies, levels, and whatnot. Music sounds like it could've also been plucked right out of that era, also - with some synth-pop, House music, and other things that were popular in the 80's and 90's; especially in these kind of brawlers. And it all has that electronic and MIDI-feel & video-game type of sound to it, from that era...and also some from this current era. And it all sounds great.

Taking something from MK games & Tekken games, in combat (which is most of this game, BTW), you can also juggle opponents in the air with more hits and attacks. Hit enemies in a row fast and/or without taking hits, you can pull off combos. And yes. combos are counted on-screen for number of hits, too. You get graded and scored per each level, so if you're looking to beat your friends' online score and/or Grade...or just trying to do better, you can go ahead and do so. You also have a Lifetime Score you accumulate for your play-through, so there's that too.

Once you finish Story mode once, you can unlock Stage Select (for whatever difficulty you finished). This way, if there's a certain stage you want to re-do and take on, go at it. Have at it! Also, there seems to be unlock-ables here - i.e. unlock-able characters, that you can play as in the game - as I've unlocked one character while playing mid-game somewhere and another after finishing Story Mode for my first go around here.

The Story itself here is not anything special, as you'd expect from a SoR game. I don't think most came here for that anyways. Don't expect depth, character analysis, or any of that. Though, it'll still cool enough, nostalgia-like enough, and 80's/90's enough with its cheese, over-the-top ridiculous-ness, and style that it will still make you smile. But since there are a bunch of more levels - often shorter per Stage, by the way - compared to the old games, this means you have more variety for its locations and more cut-scenes between stages to make this game feel even bigger & have more meat to it than the old classics.

Also, there's a Versus Mode, where your fighters can go at it. Unfortunately, you can't do this solo. You'll have to do it with another player, either locally or online. Feels like a missed opportunity, to not have a solo mode where you can battle AI here. Haven't checked this out yet.

Simply put: Streets of Rage 4 is a great old-school style brawler/beat 'em up with some twists of its own and its shouldn't be missed by anyone.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 05, 2020, 10:44:28 PM »
Yeah, I bought this on Switch on a whim.  I was a huge SoR2 fan and have some sentimental attachment to all the games (less so with 3).  It is amazing and surpassed any expectations I have.  Honestly, I hope they have some DLC dropping for it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 05:43:57 AM »
I did end up grabbing it, looking forward to playing some with you gpw. I think it was being able to unlock all the past characters that really sold me on it in the end. Haven't given it much time, but the first couple stages were really fun!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 10:13:07 PM »
Yeah, a few weeks in it's a really solid game and well worth the asking price.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, June 14, 2020, 02:06:15 PM »
This game got me and my brother to play together on the couch like we used to when we were kids! Our wives watching us like they were observing a the strange phenomenon unfold. It was, for lack of a better word, surreal. Felt like we broke through a time barrier and reverted to our younger selves for a brief interlude.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, June 18, 2020, 09:31:24 PM »
It's such a great game for that.