Author Topic: Remaking cards  (Read 12248 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Remaking cards
« on: Monday, January 30, 2012, 12:00:54 PM »
I came across some cool card games from Japan that come from the same designer. RR: Regality and Religion and its expanded version RRR: Regality vs. Religion: Revolution. Also Mai-Star and Master Merchant. Unfortunately they are very hard to find, and the ones I could find are kinda pricey not to mention shipping from Japan doubles the cost. But I still want to play them! So, I'm going to remake the cards myself.

I decided to start with RR since it has few cards that share a majority of their art. I can also use the same template to make the extra cards featured in RRR (RRR actually uses long stiff tiles that wouldn't really translate well into a playing card without a lot of effort).

Here are the cards for one player of RR:

And now here is my version made in Inkscape:

The cards for player 2 share a bulk of that design so I can go in and edit that pretty easily. The extra cards from RRR I will have to come up with something unique myself since the tiles in RRR have a completely different layout. But at least that will be a fun challenge and I wont be totally copying the original games. Even though I am. Shut up.

I'm not going to copy the faces on the cards. I don't want to go that far copying, but then I also can't draw...especially not faces. So I'm looking at stained glass and things like that. Or maybe Ill just blatantly steal from deviantart. I dunno.

EDIT 2
Added the second template and now the "neutral" template. Neutral may not be final, but that was the idea I had.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 30, 2012, 03:36:49 PM by idolminds »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Remaking cards
« Reply #1 on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 10:21:25 AM »
So I never did finish off those cards. I had some more ideas on what to do to finish them off or redesign them but I didn't really go through with it. At least not yet.

So there is this card printing site that everyone on boardgamegeek seems to think has even better quality than the ArtsCow cards, and they did a promo on facebook to get a deck of cards for $4.99 shipped. Well, I need to get on that! I decided I wanted to try take on the Master Merchant cards.

Again, I didn't try to do the faces. Lots of detail that just wouldn't look right if I tried to recreate them. So I just did the background designs.

Now I need to do the card layout and all that jazz and I'll be set! I will be about 14 cards shy of the full 54 so I might squeeze a copy of RR in there if I can finish those up, but the coupon code expires on the 26th so I only have a couple more days. I also might add a splash of color to the MM cards, something unique to each of them to help identify at a glance.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 08:00:04 PM »
So this is the "final" version, unless I come up with some cool other design.

I have to hand it to people that make good looking cards. It is HARD. Everything I did looked really plain and amateur, but I didn't want to go overboard. It really came together then I stumbled on some patterns online and I saw something like that swirly thing. Hey look, Inkscape makes swirly things! MAKE A THOUSAND OF THEM!

So yeah, I think this looks good. The border looks large but thats the "margin of error" of the print company so a good portion will be trimmed on the final card. The rest is simple but easy to read. So yay! Cards!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 10:01:27 PM »
Nice! Looking really good, man.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Monday, April 23, 2012, 11:38:07 PM »
Thanks! I have all the cards finished now. Fronts, anyway. Working on the back but I cant tell which I like better.

I'll sleep on it, but input is welcome.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 08:08:20 AM »
Gut reaction is the lefthand card. The gold just seems to stick out a bit when the rest feels more subdued.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 08:56:03 AM »
Wrong, I like the gold, GO GOLD!

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 11:23:35 AM »
Yeah, the gold sticks out unless you decide to colour the whole card.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 03:37:22 PM »
I ended up going with the un-colored gold. It went better with the card set as a whole. Like cools said if I went and colored in the rest of the back then it would be ok, but I was too lazy to do that. I still have the files of course so I could do another print run later if I felt like it.

So everything is all set and ordered. Using the uploader was a pain in the ass, probably because it wasn't expecting it to take 2 minutes per card to upload so it kept erring out. Next time I'll just save the files to a thumb drive and do all that crap at the book store.

Of course this game doesn't end up making a full 54 card deck so I had some space to fill...about 14 cards. I was going to do that RR game, but I dont have the art done plus I want to do RRR with the extra cards so...bleh. Instead I just made some backup cards in case something happens to the originals. 1 of each plus 1 card with two backs as a divider. I'll post pics when they come in.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »
Nice! Looking forward to seeing the results in print.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 09:29:03 AM »
Excellent. Nicely done, sir.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, April 28, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »
I'm going to go counter and say the gold is cool, but only because you have the purple swirls. It's pretty regal. I guess it would depend on the card. If it's powerful a little color might be fun.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 12:26:33 AM »
I'd g with the gold too, plus that gradient gives it a little extra shine that looks great.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 06:20:31 AM »
You guys do realize he's already done it, right?

I still disagree on the gold. It looks like it's been colored in by a kid with the white. It just sticks out. It does go with the purple but looks goofy with the white, especially given that the gradient has white as well. Instead of looking like shine, it looks more like it fades out.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 06:29:55 AM »
You guys do realize he's already done it, right?

I still disagree on the gold. It looks like it's been colored in by a kid with the white. It just sticks out. It does go with the purple but looks goofy with the white, especially given that the gradient has white as well. Instead of looking like shine, it looks more like it fades out.
Damn I always get here too late! haha

No worries, either way they look great! :D

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, April 29, 2012, 08:53:13 AM »
Its cool, I still like the feedback. I figure at some point I'll work on a fully colored back and when I post the files people can choose what they want for their own decks.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, May 02, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »
Cards are in, and I think they look pretty awesome. See for yourself!

I changed the backs to a blue/silver combo before I submitted it. I liked it better.

They came in a clear plastic box. Its nice but the lid doesnt really snap on so I think a rubber band is in order. I think they offer the ability to design a custom carboard box like regular playing cards come in for an extra couple bucks. Might be worth it for something really special. So yeah, I am pleased.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, May 02, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »
Awesome, dude. They look great. I like the backs, too.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, May 02, 2012, 01:51:32 PM »
Sweet, they came out great!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, May 03, 2012, 01:11:55 AM »
Sorry I haven't really followed the thread, but the cards look great and I am glad you didn't go with the gold.