Author Topic: The Last Of Us  (Read 7514 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
The Last Of Us
« on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 08:04:08 PM »
I could swear we had a thread on this but search turned up nothing.

Next game from Naughty Dog.

Announcement trailer

New trailer

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: The Last Of Us
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 08:50:32 PM »
Looks pretty cool, but I'm not nearly the Naughty Dog fan most people are. Interested in seeing more.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 03:21:35 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 11:06:11 AM »
Shacknews talks about the gameplay.
Ever since its reveal, The Last of Us has been shrouded in some mystery. While the developers have talked up many of the game's ambitious goals, little is known about how it actually plays. Finally seeing the game in action, it's easy to sum up Naughty Dog's latest as such: Uncharted in hardcore mode.

Anyone familiar with Uncharted will see the similarities immediately. For example, at the start of the demo, the game was paused during a cinematic. The menu is identical to that in Uncharted, giving you the ability to skip the cutscene. During gameplay, many elements of the HUD are ripped from Drake's adventure, including QTE prompts for opening gates, ammo indicators, aiming reticules, and more. At one moment in the demo, the player has to bash the circle button as he holds a gate open for Ellie to sneak under. It's a scene that's been ripped out of every Uncharted game ever.

For better or for worse, the similarities don't just stop there. While the tone is very different, The Last of Us is yet another cover-based third-person shooter. The aiming and cover mechanics should be more-than-familiar for anyone that's played one of Naughty Dog's recent games. However, there are key differences that will make you approach the gameplay differently. Ammo is very scarce, for example. At the start of the demo, Joel has four bullets in his gun--and won't really get much more at any given time. Encounters are a lot more deadly, as well. There's no regenerative health. Enemies go down in one or two bullets--meaning each bullet becomes a lot more valuable.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 11:37:58 AM »
Pass.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Friday, May 18, 2012, 12:08:10 AM »
Interesting...

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #6 on: Friday, May 18, 2012, 01:13:27 PM »
WANT

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »
First review in from Ars Technica

I had no idea this game was coming out so soon! For some reason I had written it off as Autumn/Fall 2013 release.

It's a positive review, yay!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 09:12:57 AM »
I do love the environmental design. It sounds like it could be fun. I might end up with it anyway as Heather for some reason really wants to play it and has been commenting about it periodically for probably a year now.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 09:24:21 AM »
95% aggregate from 49 reviews currently on Metacritic.  Damn!  I want a PS3 all of a sudden.  I wonder if it will make it to the PS4.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 12:04:01 PM »
Wow. Will probably buy when it stops being so damn sunny and awesome.  Or just in a moment of weakness.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 12:41:31 PM »
Can't wait to get this. Liked it since the first reveal trailers.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: The Last of Us is a masterpiece: IGN
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, June 16, 2013, 05:47:27 AM »
It's more than just IGN saying it - it has a 95 right now on Metacritic

Damn console exclusives! I'd really love to have Naughty Dog multi-platforming games.

Also, I'd not be surprised if this game gets put onto the PS4 - this game is just getting such crazy high scores and looks like another one of those great milestones for gaming, it'd be almost silly to not put it there. I'm sure that some who skipped the PS3, they might be staring at the PS4 (especially as E3) and want this game ported there.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, June 16, 2013, 06:37:55 AM »
I'm hoping the game makes it to PS4.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, June 16, 2013, 06:52:42 AM »
hahahaha well we clearly have one Sony convert. :)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, June 16, 2013, 07:00:01 AM »
Ha!  I had a 2nd sentence in my last post, edited it repeatedly, and finally deleted it in frustration.  It was something along the lines of I'll probably/perhaps/who knows? get the thing.  Not wanting the focus to drift away from the game back to the heated Microsoft vs Sony thing, I just let it go.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Monday, June 24, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »
GameSpot -> Actress Ellen Page feels Naughty Dog ripped-off her likeness for Ellie in TLOU.

Inception star Ellen Page has said developer Naughty Dog "ripped off" her likeness for The Last of Us.

On Reddit, Page said the initial similarities between herself and The Last of Us' Ellie were "not appreciated" because she was also cast as Jodie Holmes in Beyond: Two Souls, which is due out for PlayStation 3 in October 2013.

"I guess I should be flattered that they ripped off my likeness," said Page, "but I am actually acting in a videogame called Beyond Two Souls, so it was not appreciated."

After initial comments regarding Ellie's resemblance to Page, Naughty Dog altered the design of the character to more closely resemble her voice actress Ashley Johnson.

Responding to Page's comments, Naughty Dog creative director Neil Druckmann took to Twitter to praise the work of of Johnson. "Ellie from The Last of Us was perfectly played by @TheVulcanSalute. No one could've done a better job. Please go follow her and retweet."

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #18 on: Monday, June 24, 2013, 03:40:35 PM »
Whew, slow news day. This place is dead too.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: The Last of Us is a masterpiece: IGN
« Reply #19 on: Monday, June 24, 2013, 07:40:30 PM »
I went in to pick this up at a Best Buy last week and it was completely sold out at two locations.   I haven't seen that for a video game in years.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 06:07:58 PM »
"Naughty Dog seems to have known that they couldn't use the official map without paying a hefty license fee," alleges Booth, "so it looks like they just went on the Internet and found another one. Cos, you know, images on the Internet are free for anyone to use, right? Not."

I don't care if the guy is right or wrong - he sounds like a total asshole douche with probably the most hilariously inane hobby ever.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 11:00:34 AM »
Yeah, he sounds like a douche based from his quotes. I find it kind of funny when this kind of stuff happens. It's a map, so it's not like someone at ND couldn't just trace over it in Illustrator and create a new version with some minor changes.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 12:17:53 PM »
It's a map, so it's not like someone at ND couldn't just trace over it in Illustrator and create a new version with some minor changes.

Take that dudes map and compare it to the official transit map, they aren't all that terribly different. That background "water" is more stylized and he left off some things like major roads which cluttered up the map, but otherwise they are very very similar.

Last of Us image and the guys map.

Official transit map

Not to say it was ok for ND to just grab and use it without permission, but come on dude.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 12:36:37 PM »
Could've just changed the slant of the station names and modified the detail of the city layout a bit. Boom, done.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: The Last of Us is a masterpiece: IGN
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 05:47:59 PM »
Haha.   Totally.  I'm still finding this hillarious.   Like the fact that this is even something that this guy does.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Friday, July 05, 2013, 03:06:02 PM »
Awesome! :D
If TLOU was pixelated...

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #27 on: Monday, July 15, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »
Started playing it yesterday. So far not bad.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, August 04, 2013, 05:59:02 AM »
I finally managed to play it. I'm not too far in but I'm already thoroughly impressed.

I got choked up and teary-eyed in the prologue. The voice acting and animations are stellar, absolutely fantastic.

Visually, the game is hands down the most appealing PS3 game in my eyes. Texture quality, polygons, physics, environments, and even the hair! There's just so much detail.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, August 04, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »
Finished it about two weeks ago. An amazing experience. Probably one of the most memorable games I've played in recent years.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Monday, August 05, 2013, 01:12:06 PM »
Heather bought it, I got about a third or a quarter through in one sitting. Haven't touched it since. Was very impressed, though... it was loads of fun and there was cool stuff to see everywhere.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #31 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 05:05:07 PM »
I've been getting into this over the weekend. I am really enjoying watching it, game looks really fucking good and probably the closest movie like experience Ive seen in a game. Actually playing it though... eh... it feels like a less fun Uncharted game. I'm sort of just haphazardly getting through areas without really understanding the combat or AI behaviors much, I just don't feel like I have a grasp on just playing it. However I really love how everything looks and checking out the environments and finding out what is coming next. I'm about a third of the way in, I hear it gets much better later on.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #32 on: Monday, September 01, 2014, 11:38:22 PM »
I managed to buy this for $3.20 brand new two weeks ago and finished it in about a week.  Some of the best storytelling/character development I have ever seen in a video game.  It's a very well done game and it was a lot of fun to play.  I intend to play through it again (either new game plus or in Survival mode).

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, December 28, 2014, 11:20:10 AM »
I just finished playing the PS4 remastered version.  Wow!  From an artistic perspective, I found the game to be superb in all respects:  storytelling (aside from the fact that I don't think you can vaccinate for fungi), cinematics, dialogue, voice acting, animation, set pieces, music, sound, you name it.  It even was emotionally engrossing.

From a gameplay perspective, I found it engaging and challenging (even on Normal difficulty), though I became impatient with the stealth eventually.  On some of the longer parts, I would get frustrated when I would painstakingly use stealth to avoid or kill enemies for twenty minutes only to end up dying and having to start the whole thing over again.  I found myself just trying to run through the stealth parts in later levels or, if that didn't work, use firearms to take out the humans.

The ending was powerful.  I wasn't sure what to expect.  I found myself wanting to have a say in the outcome and am still not sure I'm totally happy with the way the game ended.  The ending itself was well done; I just wish there was a way to chose. 
(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, December 28, 2014, 12:42:04 PM »
I watched Heather play through the PS4 remastered version ... stellar game. I'd like to go through it myself at some point to see the parts I didn't watch her play. She really loved it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, December 28, 2014, 03:30:06 PM »
I'm playing this right now and am really liking it.  I didn't really know much about it at all going in but selected the "easy" difficulty (aka story-mode from my perspective) and I'm happy with that.  You can still make the game challenging if you want to, but I had a slight feeling that I'd be getting frustrated a bit once I got into it and I'm happy I have a way around that.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #36 on: Sunday, December 28, 2014, 07:18:50 PM »
Oh man I didn't actually post my thoughts after I finished it. I only gave my impressions from a little ways in as you can see from a couple posts above. But definitely stick with it man, it really turns around and it's honestly the best story Ive seen in a game. I need to get around to playing the DLC.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, December 28, 2014, 11:13:37 PM »
DLC wasn't bad from what I saw. Can't say if it was amazing as I didn't sit and watch all of it, and wasn't playing, but I caught most of it and it was a pretty cool little addition to the girl's side of things.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #38 on: Monday, December 29, 2014, 10:58:52 AM »
I finished the Left Behind DLC after making my previous post.  It was well done.  Basically it is more of the same and is really used as a way to fill in more of the story of Ellie.  It has a neat aspect in that it switches back and forth between an event that took place prior to the main game and an event that took place during the main game but was left out.

Finishing Left Behind very soon after finishing the main game still left me wanting.  The Last of Us has an incredibly powerful finish and the DLC doesn't get anywhere close to that level of gravity.  I'd say it would be better played right before or somewhere within the David section rather than after finishing the main game, but the flashback parts of the DLC carry more weight after hearing some comments Ellie makes very late in the main game.  Seeing the flashback before hearing Ellie's comments wouldn't really spoil anything, but I think it is more intriguing to hear the comments and then go back and see a bit of what she was referring to afterwards.

Left Behind is good, but it's really impossible for it to match the main The Last of Us game.  It's probably better to play it after at least a few days have passed after beating the game so the lack of the sledgehammer blow in the DLC's story doesn't disappoint you.

Story spoilers follow...

(click to show/hide)

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #39 on: Monday, December 29, 2014, 02:21:57 PM »
I've been wanting to play Left Behind, but I have a hard time justifying the $14.99 price tag (the last time I checked) on it.  If it drops down to like $0.99, then I might grab it.