Author Topic: Fallout 4  (Read 27274 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Fallout 4 -> Update: "Ultra" screens for FO4 PC leaked; doesn't look too "Ultra"
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2015, 06:37:10 PM »
Bethesda -> Graphics Tech of FO4.

We’re not going to spoil every improvement we’ve made, but for those of you who enjoy the technical details, here’s a sampling of what we’ve added to the latest version of the Creation Engine:

Tiled Deferred Lighting
Temporal Anti-Aliasing
Screen Space Reflections
Bokeh Depth of Field
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
Height Fog
Motion Blur
Filmic Tonemapping
Custom Skin and Hair Shading
Dynamic Dismemberment using Hardware Tessellation
Volumetric Lighting
Gamma Correct Physically Based Shading

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Fallout 4 -> Update: "Ultra" screens for FO4 PC leaked; doesn't look too "Ultra"
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, November 05, 2015, 04:06:30 PM »
Yo dawg, I heard you like embargos. So we put an embargo on our embargo.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, November 05, 2015, 04:52:24 PM »
Yo dawg, I heard you like embargos. So we put an embargo on our embargo.

WTF?

So, an embargo on top of an embargo...

Offline ender

« Reply #43 on: Saturday, November 07, 2015, 11:29:21 AM »
My game should arrive Tuesday morning... then I have to sit through work all day until I can play it! Aghhh!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, November 07, 2015, 11:36:58 AM »
I am pretty dang psyched for Fallout 4 but I can't imagine anyone could be more psyched than Ender ;D

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, November 07, 2015, 11:50:34 AM »
I want to be excited about it. I'm back to the point where it's like ... yeah, okay, maybe I could really do some more Fallout. But I never did New Vegas, so I'd probably want to do that if I jumped back in, and while I'm going to have a new PC that can play 4, I'm probably going to want to wait until there's a package deal later just since I'm so generally broke these days. So I'll probably hold off on 4, even though it really does look good, and it appeals to me much more than New Vegas. NV I want to play just because people have recommended it so much.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, November 07, 2015, 05:24:46 PM »
I want to be excited about it. I'm back to the point where it's like ... yeah, okay, maybe I could really do some more Fallout. But I never did New Vegas, so I'd probably want to do that if I jumped back in...
Sounds like a great idea (to go play New Vegas), until FO4 drops in price and/or Season Pass also drops in price.

...and while I'm going to have a new PC that can play 4, I'm probably going to want to wait until there's a package deal later just since I'm so generally broke these days. So I'll probably hold off on 4, even though it really does look good, and it appeals to me much more than New Vegas. NV I want to play just because people have recommended it so much.
New Vegas is great. If you haven't played that yet, you really should. It's more Fallout 3 - but so much improvements on the return of old-school Fallout humor, narrative, character development, storytelling, and MORE choices to make.

Old World Blues is a fantastic DLC, BTW - one of the best DLC's that I've ever played.
Sure, the other DLC's are quite good - but there's something special about OWB.

Offline ender

« Reply #47 on: Sunday, November 08, 2015, 07:07:43 PM »
I am pretty excited about it! I will say, though, I am not expecting something that is groundbreaking or mind-blowing. I feel like it will be mostly like Fallout 3, but with much more depth to the exploration. I am also thinking some more mainstream gamers might be put off by how little innovation on the graphical or overall gameplay side this may have. Of course, I could be proven wrong. To me it seems like a leisurely paced game that you can go pretty deep in, judging on some of the livestream I've seen on the PS network today. For me, that's exciting... and also, of course I love the Fallout world.

Is it Tuesday yet?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: Monday, November 09, 2015, 09:57:33 AM »
So guys, how do we know people are complaining? I went to the link D posted and 95% of the comments are from people impressed.

I think the only one complaining is D. :p

That being said, they look OK to me for 'ultra'. The dog looks weird. But these Bethesda games to me look better in motion. Also, the mods are what really set them apart.

I see complaints all the time, but it's usually from PC players who are just as immature as the PS4 vs XONE trolls.  If they don't have their higher expenditure and extra tech effort visibly rewarded in every game, they bitch and moan up a storm.

Hey, I want more Fallout 3, with extra perks and gameplay improvements.  The "innovation" thing I always ignore in reviews.  I've played this before.  I loved it.  I want more.  Better would be awesome.  Different, maybe not.

Offline ender

« Reply #49 on: Monday, November 09, 2015, 12:52:01 PM »
I think we also have an influx of gamers now that focus entirely on what gets GOTY. There's a huge argument on Gamespot right now between Witcher 3 fans, Bloodborne fans, and Fallout fans on which one deserves game of the year. The argument being, if Fallout 4 doesn't win GOTY it must suck. Honestly, the level of ridiculousness in video game discussion out there is worse than I've ever seen.

I posted on IGN about how I was dismayed that trolls were spamming the livestreams on PSN over and over again spoiling the ending of the main quest. I was then lambasted for thinking that was a big deal because "There is no ending anyway. You can play the game forever." That kind of arrogant, misguided "I know more about games than you" attitude is so pervasive. What I was really talking about was that people are hateful enough to spend hours trolling people so their experience is ruined. I prefer not to have a major plot spoiled, whether it is the end of a game or not.

Thoughtfulness has left pretty much every message board or gaming discussion except for this place. Then again, that is kind of the reason we migrated to begin with.

Offline ender

« Reply #50 on: Monday, November 09, 2015, 12:57:06 PM »
I also see the bleeding of open-world CRPGs into the mainstream as being a problem for the need for innovating graphics over gameplay and open-endedness. Fallout seems to me to be much more in the vein of older CRPGs whose selling point was open-endedness and player freedom. People that only came to these types of games later, I think, expect cutting edge graphics. Whereas players such as my self, sure would like to see nice graphics, but it is  really about the immersion and open-ended exploration. If you ever went from playing pen-and-paper to computer games, anything was good enough to look at as long as it had that exploratory quality that PnP provided.

More and more I am seeing that depth being lost to becoming more action-based, whiz bang cinematic storytelling.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #51 on: Monday, November 09, 2015, 01:23:46 PM »
I think we also have an influx of gamers now that focus entirely on what gets GOTY. There's a huge argument on Gamespot right now between Witcher 3 fans, Bloodborne fans, and Fallout fans on which one deserves game of the year. The argument being, if Fallout 4 doesn't win GOTY it must suck. Honestly, the level of ridiculousness in video game discussion out there is worse than I've ever seen.

I posted on IGN about how I was dismayed that trolls were spamming the livestreams on PSN over and over again spoiling the ending of the main quest. I was then lambasted for thinking that was a big deal because "There is no ending anyway. You can play the game forever." That kind of arrogant, misguided "I know more about games than you" attitude is so pervasive. What I was really talking about was that people are hateful enough to spend hours trolling people so their experience is ruined. I prefer not to have a major plot spoiled, whether it is the end of a game or not.

Thoughtfulness has left pretty much every message board or gaming discussion except for this place. Then again, that is kind of the reason we migrated to begin with.
The problem is that a huge number of gamers that actually take the time to talk about games on the Internet are tweens and teens, and the pseudo-anonymity of the Internet has revealed some extremely disturbing behaviors of those groups.  We were all those once, and we know that they can be socially challenging times and that people that age can be dicks just completely needlessly.  But the Internet has magnified that behavior 100x.

Offline ender

« Reply #52 on: Monday, November 09, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »
So you're just saying I'm old, thanks scott :(

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #53 on: Monday, November 09, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »
You and me both, buddy.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #54 on: Monday, November 09, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »
I also see the bleeding of open-world CRPGs into the mainstream as being a problem for the need for innovating graphics over gameplay and open-endedness. Fallout seems to me to be much more in the vein of older CRPGs whose selling point was open-endedness and player freedom. People that only came to these types of games later, I think, expect cutting edge graphics. Whereas players such as my self, sure would like to see nice graphics, but it is  really about the immersion and open-ended exploration. If you ever went from playing pen-and-paper to computer games, anything was good enough to look at as long as it had that exploratory quality that PnP provided.

More and more I am seeing that depth being lost to becoming more action-based, whiz bang cinematic storytelling.

And this is the other problem - with so many open-world games nowadays, it's getting crazy to the point this is now just another standard. Far Cry 2, 3 + 4; Watch Dogs; AC series; GTA series; Fallout 3, NV, and 4; STALKER series; Precursors; Xenus 1 + White Gold; Just Cause series; Mad Max game; and the list continues to grow + grow. With FPS's, TPS's, and RPG's bleeding into each other, it's hard to also say what's what + see what's what.

I really think if games are going to push graphics quality again, they need to get away from these ridiculous full-blown open-world thing. Sure, they can have really big maps, but the map don't need to be the entire freakin' game - since the whole seamless world just it getting ridiculously big. Just do like DA:I did and have a base w/ a link to some very big maps, but not so big that having a seamless open-world can bring PC systems to their knees if they don't sacrifice graphics quality. It's pretty obvious, that games like ACU are have so much AI, so much graphics quality, so many NPC's - they need to bring at least some of the game-world into smaller chunks to load.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #56 on: Monday, November 09, 2015, 05:35:17 PM »
I'm with you, Ender. It's really a shame. But don't let it sour you completely ... while forum trolls and game trolls do abound, there are good people too. They're out there. Sometimes it just takes a little extra work to find them.

But yeah, I think it's a stupid argument. Why do we even NEED to push graphics at this point? I mean sure, there's always more room, but come on. We need to make better use of what we're doing now, not just push the envelope without growing the medium. And with VR being the next big thing, I think there will be some interesting changes to that mentality. Or at the very least they'll have to mutate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #57 on: Monday, November 09, 2015, 05:51:57 PM »
I'm with you, Ender. It's really a shame. But don't let it sour you completely ... while forum trolls and game trolls do abound, there are good people too. They're out there. Sometimes it just takes a little extra work to find them.

But yeah, I think it's a stupid argument. Why do we even NEED to push graphics at this point? I mean sure, there's always more room, but come on. We need to make better use of what we're doing now, not just push the envelope without growing the medium. And with VR being the next big thing, I think there will be some interesting changes to that mentality. Or at the very least they'll have to mutate.

B/c gameplay doesn't really seem to being pushed enough anymore. A lot of games - especially AAA arena - are stealing bits & pieces from other games and genres. A lot of genre-bending going on. FO4 looks like FO3 w/ the kitchen sink for basically more content; and some main-streaming of the actual RPG system (i.e. no more numbers for skill-stats; Karma system's gone; and now there's only Perks which have small amounts of levels).

While FO4 does look great - I don't think it's going to be the evolution that FO2 to FO3 was.

Oh, and then there's the reviews complaining about your typical Bethesda + GameByro problems (bugs; poor + stiff animations; poor graphics quality; more bugs; broken quests, janky combat mechanics) - even though most scores seem to be giving these glaring issues a pass, when actually scoring the game.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 09, 2015, 07:58:09 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #59 on: Monday, November 09, 2015, 08:43:30 PM »
Sounds really great to me. Looking forward to it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #60 on: Monday, November 09, 2015, 08:47:08 PM »
Sounds really great to me. Looking forward to it.

I'd guess your new rig would probably eat FO4 for breakfast.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #61 on: Monday, November 09, 2015, 08:53:13 PM »
I would guess so. My old one ran Skyrim playably, but pretty far from ideally, so looking forward to spending some time with Bethesda games in general.

I might actually finally get to play RAGE properly, too. That game ran for me, and I spent some time with it, but it had some engine issues that made it far from perfect on my rig.

Offline ender

« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 10:09:01 AM »
Fallout 3 just arrived at my office. I am sitting here, looking at it... waiting 6 hours until I can play it  ::)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 10:31:37 AM »
I'm sure you meant 4.  Let us know how it goes!

Offline ender

« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
Oh damn, yeah... Fallout 4. I guess I got distracted by work  :o

Offline ender

« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, November 10, 2015, 09:15:01 PM »
Well, I've played about 4 hours so far. I have to say, it's really excellent. Definitely takes Fallout 3 to the next level as Skyrim did after Oblivion. I think there's also this great emotional element to the storytelling that has been added in, which I haven't really felt in a Bethesda game before. I've been in some pretty intense gun fights and every second feels like I am in the harshest, deadliest part of the wasteland. So far... really, really enjoying this game. I think it has a depth of immersiveness that I just haven't seen in quite some time. There's so much to do... and I'm actually interested in exploring rather than solely focusing on the main quest.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 10:42:12 AM »
I have to say, I'm loving this game. I stayed up way too late playing. I absolutely understand people's frustrations with bugs and shit, as that's never fun, but the huge backlash on Steam downvoting the game and saying all kinds of bullshit about it just out of frustration with certain issues is pretty lame.

I will say that the PC interface really, really sucks. That's a valid criticism for sure. Menu stuff doesn't get rebound, so like I use ESDF, not WASD, but E is the key you use to loot stuff. So welcome to a world of me constantly looting anything I walk up to. I dealt with that okay, but the build mode is literally unusable for me with mouse and keyboard. I was forced to switch to a controller just for the game to work properly, and that's pretty not okay.

But the game itself is amazing. The content, the depth, the sheer feeling of hugeness to the world. And it's both more colorful and interesting and less one note, "hey look, more brown expanse", while being less cartoony and characters feeling like they have a lot more going on with them. Writing has been pretty good, and while I'm not sure I think having a voiced protagonist was the way to go, I really like the male actor they got for it. I thought the opening was all but transcendent, and while I don't know about all the specifics of the story, I thought it got off to a great start with some emotional punch. I loved the character creation method.

Totally excited to play more of this. Wasn't expecting to even play it, but I'm pretty happy I got it.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 14, 2015, 04:29:15 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 12:59:03 PM »
Wow!  Lucky SOB  :)

I'm holding back because of some extra-crappy streaming code in my version.  Installing on an external SSD would fix it, according to Digital Foundry, but that's not happening.  Hopefully, they'll fix this while the game is still relevant.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 03:48:48 PM »
I will say that the PC interface really, really sucks.

Bethesda's PC interfaces have always sucked. Meh. It's gonna take some mods like a Skywind UI (like Skyrim had) or DarnUI (like Oblivion had) to fix the way FO4 looks - which looks a lot like FO3. I thought the biggest problem w/ FO3 was there was NOT enough categories for different weapons. They didn't even break up b/t melee and guns. You can wind-up going through one ultra long-list of equipment, which is just ridiculous. They should have separate gun categories for machine guns, assault rifles, heavy guns, energy guns, hand-guns, etc. This would make things SO much easier.

EDIT:
I'd also be curious if you took any screenies on Ultra. :) Would like to see you throw 'em up on Steam, if you did. :)
Did you install Enhanced Wasteland SweetFX preset?
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 14, 2015, 04:28:58 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 03:59:50 PM »
Just thought this was cool meme. :)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 04:31:19 PM »
I'm perfectly happy with the graphics and I think I've already detailed my disdain for those complaining about them. The game looks stellar. I'm not really a screenshot-taker so much these days. If I happen to take a couple I'll post them.

But yeah, I will say that this is easily the worst PC interface I've ever seen for a Bethesda game. It makes Skyrim out of the box look like a fucking masterpiece. It's really a mess, and it does give one a very bad impression, which is probably one of the reasons people are being so rabidly hostile on Steam. Apparently the game also suffers from savegame corruption, like way too many of these games have. Apparently the trick is to never rely on autosave and never use quicksave. Always save a NEW save slot, and just delete some of your old ones when they get too prolific. So far I haven't had any problems. The game has a bit of jank, but it's basically the same jank Skyrim had. No crazy bugs yet, though I do have one area that's broken from a bunch of textures being present that shouldn't be. Like where doors and windows are supposed to be clear, there's this horrible low-res texture there, and the whole area itself has several huge blocks of them floating around which make it sort of unusable.

I don't want to spoil things for people who want to go in blind as possible, so I'll abstain from specific comments. But there is so much more to the progression of this game, so much more to do and work towards, which I really appreciate. Fallout 3 did a great job of just providing great content to interface with, and while this seems like there will be probably "you wanted more, so here's more" on that front, there are some new systems that have the potential to be just amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing how deep it all goes. But I think it's safe to say that as long as your system runs this, you aren't plagued by some of the crashes or won't-start bugs others have had, and you're okay with using a controller, this is a great game. It's a bummer those other blemishes exist.

Oh, and if you're left-handed and want to play with mouse and keyboard, forget it. Numpad keys are reserved for hotbar. I saw one guy on Steam deliver a 8-10 paragraph negative review based on that fact alone. So if that's going to bug you, be warned. But again, the interface on this is so fucking bad you're just going to want to plug in your 360 pad anyway. Or wait for somebody else to fix the UI.

And while I'm thinking of it, one final note about dialogue, because I've seen tons of complaints about this too. FO4 adopts a Mass Effect-style system instead of you reading and choosing long lines of responses. I've seen a lot of complaints about this, and those are complaints from people with no understanding of how dialogue trees actually function, which is to say that they largely don't do what people think they do. Most conversations are still linear with dialogue trees, you're just given the illusion of choice, and at most you maybe get a couple extra options or opportunities for your character to act a certain way. At best. But in the end, 99% of players always mine every single line of dialogue anyway trying to get all the information, or they just want it to go as fast as possible and skip the details. This system lets you do exactly that. It doesn't reduce your choice, but gives you a quicker and more efficient interface to engage with your choices. And on the side of "but my character needs to act a very specific way!": the things you said in past games were pre-written. You didn't decide them, you just read from a group and picked the one that matched your character's theoretical viewpoint. This allows you to do exactly the same thing, you just don't know exactly how he's going to phrase it beforehand. It is functionally almost no different. So if you're going to start complaining about how the game is dumbed-down and OMG we can't roleplay anymore, just stop. Right now. Step away from the Internet.

Anyway. tldr: Most people dissatisfied with Fallout 4 on PC are either furious about bugs, frustrated by interface issues, or just mad that it isn't exactly the same game as New Vegas. Which means that per group, they're either unfortunate, legitimately annoyed, or should just go play New Vegas and shut the actual fuck up.

So that's as close as you're likely to get to a review from me. I think it's a winner so far.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 04:44:14 PM »
@Que

I'm left-handed - I use cursor keys up, down, left, right to move around.
Does FO4 pause when you open-up the Inventory?
Often in FO3 + NV, I'd just open the Inventory when switching weapons - since that paused the game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 06:14:07 PM »
Well, you won't be using the cursor keys to move around in Fallout 4 if you play it, apparently.

Yeah, it still pauses in the Pipboy. Though VATS is now kind of a slow-mo effect rather than time-stoppage. It still gives you plenty of time to mess with it and issue commands, but time doesn't stop.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 06:22:12 PM »
Well, you won't be using the cursor keys to move around in Fallout 4 if you play it, apparently.
I use the cursor keys beneath the row of Delete-End-Page Down to move around.

I don't use Numpad arrow keys to move.
I have a G600 mouse - so I'll likely use the 12 or so keys on the mouse to assign any hotkeys to.

Yeah, it still pauses in the Pipboy.
Good to know! :)

Though VATS is now kind of a slow-mo effect rather than time-stoppage. It still gives you plenty of time to mess with it and issue commands, but time doesn't stop.
Yeah, I noticed and read about that in reviews.
But, wasn't sure if opening Pipboy paused it - glad that still pauses.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 11, 2015, 10:24:23 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #77 on: Thursday, November 12, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »
Steam tells me I've spent 20 hours with the game now. I continue to be impressed. Basically everything I said above still stands, but I continue to be impressed with some of the surprises.

Anyone who wants to be COMPLETELY blind shouldn't read this, but it's not a spoiler so much as a brief discussion of one particular feature that's new, and the leanings that gives the game. If you want absolutely zero knowledge of the game and some of what you're able to do going in, avoid it. If you're just avoiding story, character, and world spoilers, you're totally fine:

(click to show/hide)

This game continues to excite. I'm pumped for more.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: Thursday, November 12, 2015, 04:12:53 PM »
Super.  I'm glad you're into it so much.  Quite a happy shift from your early feelings about it, to be sure.

This one is definitely in my future.  Apparently, some of the criticisms leveled against my version of the game were overblown.  Every huge open-world game has some hitching in it.  And this is Bethesda, still using that engine they've been using forever.  I'll hold of a while longer, just to let all the commentary gel into something I can sift through, and decide on what is fact and what is something else.