Author Topic: Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes  (Read 12201 times)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes
« on: Saturday, September 01, 2012, 05:18:18 PM »
Apparently, when it comes to Metal Gear it only takes a bit of dramatic music and an image of Snake crawling through muck to get me excited.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 04:06:00 AM »
That was incredible. And its current gen consoles which is crazy.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 06:49:48 AM »
Damn, that looks fantastic! I guess we're all easily excitable haha

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 08:26:37 AM »
So, if I've been looking at talk about the trailer correctly a lot names and such in the trailer are referencing stuff from Peace Walker. It looks like I might have to actually play that now.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 09:20:26 AM »
So, if I've been looking at talk about the trailer correctly a lot names and such in the trailer are referencing stuff from Peace Walker. It looks like I might have to actually play that now.

Yea likewise, I was pretty content with the MGS story arc and since I had thought there would be no more MGS games I wasn't sure if I was going to play peacewalker. Oh Kojima, you crazy son of a bitch.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 10:04:27 AM »
Yeah from the multiple mentions of Paz, it appears I actually need to get around to playing Peace Walker as well.

Like Pyro, I was satisfied to call it a day with this story arc at the conclusion of MGS4.  Looks like Kojima won't allow that.  I'm getting a tad concerned, though.  It seems they're getting a little too prolific with MGS games.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 01:20:42 PM »
Yeah, it seems like a direct sequel to Peace Walker, which is pretty sweet in its own way. I'm really hoping it will follow suit and include a coop mode as well.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, June 06, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »
Boo this man. Boo this.

Also, I guess this is actually just Metal Gear 5 now and is the same thing as the Phantom Pain. Way to get all crazy even before the game is out.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, June 08, 2013, 10:25:51 PM »
I haven't played a game since MGS2. Where do I jump back in? I'd be willing to mess around with Snake Eater, but the PS3 one looks slooooow as hell.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, June 09, 2013, 03:52:33 AM »
I haven't played a game since MGS2. Where do I jump back in? I'd be willing to mess around with Snake Eater, but the PS3 one looks slooooow as hell.
MGS3 is great but it is definitely a slower paced game than MGS2. I've barely touched it since the PS2 days.

I would recommend that you hop on MGS4 since it resumes the story following MGS2. Whereas MGS3 is more of a flashback to the 60's to fill in the gaps about Big Boss etc.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, June 09, 2013, 06:41:06 AM »
Boo this man. Boo this.

Also, I guess this is actually just Metal Gear 5 now and is the same thing as the Phantom Pain. Way to get all crazy even before the game is out.

Since we know Kojima likes to prank/troll us (and could be doing it again)....
..I'll just throw *this* out there.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Friday, June 14, 2013, 02:48:48 PM »
Given how Kojima is w/ pranking and whatnot, not sure if this MP will be a part of MGS5 or a full-blown separate MGO (Metal Gear Online) game...
MGO is being worked on by LA Studio.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 08:02:44 PM »
That is a pleasant yet unexpected turn of events.

Now port the HD collection.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Monday, August 03, 2015, 03:32:04 PM »
MGSV: The Phantom Pain PC system requirements revealed.

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (2GB) or better (DirectX 11 card Required)
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 28 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60GHz) or better; Quad-core or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (DirectX 11 graphic card required)
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 28 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card (Surround Sound 5.1)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Monday, August 03, 2015, 08:29:53 PM »
A while back, I recall some talk about a discount for anyone who owns MGSV: Ground Zeroes when The Phantom Pain was released. Did Konami back out on that?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Monday, August 03, 2015, 09:55:38 PM »
MGS: GZ is free right now on XBL (with Gold).  Is it worth the download time and disk space?  Space is the bigger issue.  I'd have to delete something for it to fit.  Then it's just demo play time, right?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 05:38:41 AM »
A while back, I recall some talk about a discount for anyone who owns MGSV: Ground Zeroes when The Phantom Pain was released. Did Konami back out on that?

No clue.

It lists Ground Zeroes on Steam as giftable now on Phantom Pain's page.
If Phantom Pain is pre-ordered through Steam and you already own Ground Zeroes, you get a giftable Ground Zeroes.
You might want to bother someone on Steam who has a giftable extra of GZ. :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 05:41:01 AM »
MGSV: The Phantom Pain's Multiplayer portion won't be out at launch. It'll be out later.
-> MP portion is coming October 6th on consoles
-> MP portion is coming January 2016 on PC

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Monday, August 24, 2015, 04:36:49 AM by MysterD »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Monday, August 24, 2015, 07:37:08 AM »
Geez.  I don't expect that kind of overwhelming approval for games anymore.  I read IGN's review, and I'll be reading others.  The big deal to me here is that it's all about what you get to do, rather than passive and lengthy storytelling.  That's great news.  That's how open-world games should be.

I haven't played an MGS game for a long time, mostly because of all the passive audiovisuals.  I guess this one breaks the mold, and it looks like I'll have to get it.  Let's see, is Ground Zeroes still free . . .

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Re: Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes
« Reply #23 on: Monday, August 24, 2015, 11:57:57 AM »
Geez.  I don't expect that kind of overwhelming approval for games anymore.  I read IGN's review, and I'll be reading others.  The big deal to me here is that it's all about what you get to do, rather than passive and lengthy storytelling.  That's great news.  That's how open-world games should be.

I haven't played an MGS game for a long time, mostly because of all the passive audiovisuals.  I guess this one breaks the mold, and it looks like I'll have to get it.  Let's see, is Ground Zeroes still free . . .
Yep, it's still on preorder and the bonus is you get a free copy of GZ.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Monday, August 24, 2015, 02:20:27 PM »
Sounds amazing. I guess that means I have to actually try yet again to beat MGS2 ...

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #25 on: Monday, August 24, 2015, 02:39:23 PM »
Sounds amazing. I guess that means I have to actually try yet again to beat MGS2 ...
This is encouraging me to finally get through MGS3! :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Monday, August 24, 2015, 09:22:31 PM »
Yep, it's still on preorder and the bonus is you get a free copy of GZ.

I'm getting GZ now from XBL.  Good thing it's still free.  I don't ever preorder.

HotHardware -> Should you trust the early reviews of MGSV: TPP?

That did get me to raise an eyebrow.  I can't say if the writer is just looking for attention, or if he has a valid point.  It's hard to believe that all those publications would be far off on their evaluations.  I won't be getting the game soon anyway.  I'm still quite involved with others.  If anything else needs to be said, it will come out well before I buy.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, August 25, 2015, 07:52:37 AM »
How early is early? Several of the reviewers have indicated that they have spent 40+ hours with the game.

Granted the reviewers got special review versions of the game, the online aspects are not yet active, and there's an embargo on actual final game footage until the release date, but how off could they possibly be?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, August 25, 2015, 08:36:33 AM »
How early is early? Several of the reviewers have indicated that they have spent 40+ hours with the game.

Granted the reviewers got special review versions of the game, the online aspects are not yet active, and there's an embargo on actual final game footage until the release date, but how off could they possibly be?

My thoughts, pretty much.  The one possible concern is the lack of difficulty for reviewers, if in fact they played with a god mode that only they have access to.  I don't like crushing difficulty, so this is one thing I'm going to be reading up on, after release.  Other than that, it looks like a tempest in a teapot.  Won't be long now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, August 25, 2015, 12:33:28 PM »
Seems odd to me. I read several reviews, all of which gave details he says reviews aren't giving. I can see the eyebrow-raising, I guess, but nothing that I read sounded at all like they were working from a gimped copy of the game and they weren't playing it for real. Besides, do we really think Kojima and crew fucked this up in terms of difficulty or gameplay? They've proven themselves many times, I highly doubt this is going to be an imbalanced mess. What really matters for most people is: does it carry off the open-world idea well and what's the deal with the story? I think those questions have been answered just fine already, so wouldn't worry very much about the rest.

I really want to play this, but I haven't played an MGS since 2. I just couldn't get into it. I think I've lamented that fact here before not too long ago ... but this game looks so good I just might have to try again and finish the other games in the series I've wanted to finally get to.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, August 25, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »
Well, Ground Zeroes is awesome so far.  Flawless 60 fps, which is quite a treat.  If the full game is like this, it should be terrific.

You're probably right.  I don't think Kojima fucked up anything.  There is negativity out there about everything.  Some people can't figure out how to get attention in a positive way.  Game comes out in a week, so any baseless speculation will die soon enough.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 07:44:45 AM »
"Finished" Ground Zeroes last night.  A bunch of stuff opens up after completion, to encourage replay with more objectives.  I still consider the experience a demo, with saving ability (and replayability).  Quite immersive, responsive, and very well done.  As far as I can tell, it's perfect from a technical perspective.  Looks terrific and moves at a rock-solid 60 fps, without fail.  No load times at all once you're underway.  That includes going into and out of cutscenes, which are seamless.  No excessive load times ever.   I hope this Fox engine doesn't die with Konami.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 08:14:13 AM »
"Finished" Ground Zeroes last night.  A bunch of stuff opens up after completion, to encourage replay with more objectives.  I still consider the experience a demo, with saving ability (and replayability).  Quite immersive, responsive, and very well done.  As far as I can tell, it's perfect from a technical perspective.  Looks terrific and moves at a rock-solid 60 fps, without fail.  No load times at all once you're underway.  That includes going into and out of cutscenes, which are seamless.  No excessive load times ever.   I hope this Fox engine doesn't die with Konami.
Awesome.

Here's hoping Konami (as a corporation) don't f*ck it up.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, August 30, 2015, 09:03:54 PM »
So this is apparently happening.

One user who has gotten an early copy of the PC disc release of The Phantom Pain is reporting that the game itself isn’t actually on the disc. In fact, all that’s on there is a Steam installer, with the expectation being that anyone who purchases the disc will still be willing to download the full game.
Thanks, Konami.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Monday, August 31, 2015, 04:53:57 AM »
So this is apparently happening.
 Thanks, Konami.

I know PC gamers w/ decent connections pretty much accepted that most games are to be downloaded + probably purchase their games via Steam, GOG, and other services (b/c games are often so much cheaper usually via digital distribution...
...but why the hell did the PC industry itself recently just never move + force their PC's to at least be equipped now BR drives in PC's + BR discs in retail boxed PC games at retail?

Some of the more recent PC Games, especially in AAA realms, are taking up now 20-60 GB or more.

If they throw these games on DVD's, they're going to have to compress them on DVD's or just waste A LOT of DVD's.
Who the heck wants their game on 5 DVD's or more? Crazy amounts of disc switching on installs suck.
Would be easier, if BR just became PC retail game's format - especially for these bigger-sized games.

All of this nonsense really don't bode well for areas that ain't connected w/ good Internet connections + anybody who has Internet w/ some kind of data-cap.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #36 on: Monday, August 31, 2015, 06:23:42 AM »
So are they literally just shipping empty discs for sale? Shitty connections aside, this sounds like a huge waste of money and resources.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: Monday, August 31, 2015, 07:08:36 AM »
The changes at Konami are heartbreaking.  This was one of the perennial pillars of the gaming industry, and now they've in the hands of self-serving despots, who have destroyed the creative kernel of the company in search of higher profits in other markets.  As the final game in their stellar legacy, and Hideo Kojima's baby, I hope this game does well in the marketplace.  But henceforth Konami is dead to us.  What a shocking tragedy.

I do hope the Fox engine survives all of this.

Offline ender

« Reply #38 on: Monday, August 31, 2015, 07:25:35 AM »
Well, I am excited about playing Phantom Pain tomorrow when it arrives. Sad about all the drama at Konami... but sounds like this one will be a great swan song for Kojima.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #39 on: Monday, August 31, 2015, 07:31:01 AM »
I'm hoping this is the end of Kojima with Konami but not the end of his game-making career.