Author Topic: Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes  (Read 12122 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Metal Gear: Ground Zeroes
« Reply #40 on: Monday, August 31, 2015, 11:41:44 AM »
So are they literally just shipping empty discs for sale? Shitty connections aside, this sounds like a huge waste of money and resources.
Yeah, thats kind of what I mean. Even if they didn't want to produce multiple DVDs for the physical version and made people download the majority of it...why not put *something* on the disc? A couple GB of game data wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Or hey, fill it with some wallpapers and making of videos or just something more than an 8MB Steam installer. You are already producing the discs so it costs you nothing to put some kind of substantial data on them instead of leaving them basically empty. Whats the point?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #41 on: Monday, August 31, 2015, 12:02:29 PM »
It's pretty dumb. It's possible they were already bound to a disc distribution contract and had to provide material and this was the fastest (though most useless) option.

This is a bit worse (only a tiny bit) than the Borderlands GOTY edition retail box, where only the base game was included on a disc and the DLC's had to be manually downloaded from the Gearbox website using a code for each DLC (the retail version of the game was not dependent on Steam and Gearbox didn't give you Steam keys). No torrent, no auto-resume downloader included, just good old fashioned browser download. Of course the easier solution was to just download a pirated copy of the game then use your legit keys to register.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 05:00:49 AM »
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain Microtransaction Pricing Revealed

The Konami fun continues.  The Kojima fallout begins to make more sense, no?  Let's see how many of those 10/10 reviews get revised now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 05:34:03 AM »
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain Microtransaction Pricing Revealed

The Konami fun continues.  The Kojima fallout begins to make more sense, no?  Let's see how many of those 10/10 reviews get revised now.

Probably none of them, since it's Optional.
I'd guess that most people will look at that nonsense; just ignore this Mother Base acceleration crap; and keep on gaming for hours + hours - like most gamers did w/ Dead Space 3.

Offline ender

« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 06:14:30 AM »
Yeah, this just seems like typical downloadable content for people that don't want to invest the time. They can have it.

My copy for the PS4 arrives today... I'll let you know how it goes!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 12:03:17 PM »
Yeah, this just seems like typical downloadable content for people that don't want to invest the time. They can have it.

My copy for the PS4 arrives today... I'll let you know how it goes!

If you were the kind of business that would charge someone $80 for faster game progress, wouldn't you also be the kind of business that would make game progress artificially more tedious to punish the player who doesn't drop money in the meter?

Yes, please let us know how the game goes.  I'll be paying a lot of attention to reported experiences.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 02:32:03 PM »
I rarely worry about most of those things in paid games anymore. It tends to be a problem in free-to-play stuff, but not generally as much in games you actually paid for. At least when it comes to these specific types of artificial resources. DLC is another matter. Generally what ender says is correct, it's only people with way too much money, zero sense, or a sincere refusal to spend any more time than necessary who go for this sort of thing, and usually everyone else is safe.

Who knows, here, but my guess is it'll be fine, recent Konami evils or otherwise.

I also highly suspect that Kojima ends up somewhere else. Anybody'd be lucky to have him, too.

Many Japanese game companies made something else before they became game companies (Nintendo with hanafuda cards, Koei being a dye company, etc.). I think the corporate mentality there is a bit different than here. If they struggle too much, they may just jump markets if they've got some momentum going in another arena. I don't know a lot about the history of many game companies, but I know many companies in general in Japan have existed for a long, long time.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 06:34:53 PM »
If you were the kind of business that would charge someone $80 for faster game progress, wouldn't you also be the kind of business that would make game progress artificially more tedious to punish the player who doesn't drop money in the meter?
That depends.

Depends on how repetitive side-quests, side-missions, side-activities, and what they reward you with for doing these things - whether it's more story depth, character depth, new equipment, EXP, Achievements, and/or whatever. Most games littered w/ side-quests live off this stuff. They keep you doing the busy-work, but the thing is for them to find a way disguise the "grind" as worthwhile and/or fun for the player.

It also depends on if you can finish the game's main-quest w/ running many of these, none of these, some of these, or what.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 09:48:01 PM »
I know all that D.  Here's an example of what I'm talking about.  Suppose creating a base requires $100,000.  An honest game mechanic would provide a way to grind/work for that money in a reasonable time, say hours, up to a day, with a fun and engaging process of earning it.  A game with a pay-wall mechanic would make that grind take multiple days, or even weeks, and make it a repetitive bore.  If it's something you really want, and you're weak or don't give a shit, like many affluent gamers, you'll spend the real money to get the $100K play money instantly, and "accelerate" the process of base building.  That sort of backhanded tactic is what I will not tolerate.  That's what I'm waiting to hear more about.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, September 02, 2015, 05:12:40 AM »
I know all that D.  Here's an example of what I'm talking about.  Suppose creating a base requires $100,000.  An honest game mechanic would provide a way to grind/work for that money in a reasonable time, say hours, up to a day, with a fun and engaging process of earning it.  A game with a pay-wall mechanic would make that grind take multiple days, or even weeks, and make it a repetitive bore.  If it's something you really want, and you're weak or don't give a shit, like many affluent gamers, you'll spend the real money to get the $100K play money instantly, and "accelerate" the process of base building.  That sort of backhanded tactic is what I will not tolerate.  That's what I'm waiting to hear more about.
Sorry, but I'm not like those kind of gamers; I'm not gonna spend real money on accelerating some game's process.
I spend real $ on new game-content - i.e. DLC's and expansions.

I don't know how the base-process works in MGSV: TPP - so I can't comment on if you basically let it do its thing to build the base in X amount of time as you can go do other missions, or what. Or if you have to hang around for some of the base-building, or what.

Offline ender

« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, September 02, 2015, 06:00:59 AM »
Well, I think those prices are incorrect above. The 6000 one is is $49, the rest seem to be about $14 to 95 cents. I'm playing the game right now and don't see the need to really buy these... unless you want to build more mother bases for online play. That seems kind of shitty, but I rarely find myself playing online for these types of games.

On the gameplay side, I have to say it's quite incredible. I am amazed at the beautiful direction of the game, the absurdity in it that reminds me of some classic 1980s games and the overall freedom in the world. I really do feel like each decision I make creates these really interesting moments that are not cut scenes... they are cinematic moments created by my actions, which I think is a big step up for the game. Also the level of strategy I think is much deeper than the other Metal Gear games, I find myself switching from stealth, guns blazing, to carefully scanning the outposts from high vantage points to plan a masterful attack.

The episodic nature of each mission I think is a nice touch. While sometimes it is annoying to see the creator credits flash in at the beginning of each mission, it does feel like binge watching your favorite TV show. I find myself, after beating missions, feeling a great sense of accomplishment and needed rest. I think this kind of adds to the addictive level of the game.

Definitely enjoying it a great deal so far. Feels very classic and DESIGNED. I love when the mechanics of a game are what stands out the most, it is one of the things that the medium has over any other storytelling platform -- the gameplay factor.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, September 02, 2015, 06:36:52 AM »
The prices originally exposed were for Australia.  Not that $50 is any better than $80 for something like this.  That's no longer a microtransaction (either way).  It is a full-blown transaction, the price of a full game.

Thanks for the feedback.  That's the sort of thing I want to hear.  I wasn't planning on playing online either.  Your comments echo the IGN review: that ability to mold what happens yourself, and see it unfold in dramatic fashion.  Coolness.

Welcome back.  You sort of sneaked in, and I barely noticed.  :)

Offline ender

« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, September 02, 2015, 10:16:05 AM »
Haha yeah, I got really busy at work these last few months... my PS3 finally broke down after nearly a decade of use, so I bought a PS4. Been unwinding at night playing a few games again. Always think of this place when I pop into the games!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: Friday, September 04, 2015, 08:36:15 AM »
Fortunately, I couldn't care less about server issues in this game.  Any other major tech issues?  Game is getting stellar feedback for its performance so far.

Offline ender

« Reply #56 on: Friday, September 04, 2015, 01:49:01 PM »
I haven't had any issues on the PS4. Witcher 3 had a lot of bugs in it, but I still was able to enjoy it. I haven't had any performance issues on this... it runs insanely smooth from my experience of a launch.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: Friday, September 04, 2015, 04:50:55 PM »
Yeah, Witcher 3 is just plain grungy.  Playing it after DA: Inquisition is like stepping into a back alley on your way out of a fine restaurant.  Those guys just don't have the wherewithal to make so much happen in a polished way.

I've mostly enjoyed it.  I'm still trying to find more to do before going for the final battle.

Ground Zeroes ran at a perfect 60 fps without any hiccups, even during transitions to and from cutscenes.  Not surprisingly, it seems the full game is cut from the same cloth.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, October 06, 2015, 10:56:36 AM »
MGSV: The Phantom Pain Update Adds Insurance

[MSGV The Phantom Pain] latest update focuses on additions to FOB missions, in which players can invade and steal from specially-constructed bases maintained by other players. One of the updates is the ability to pay real money to insure the contents of your base. Find more details below.

Wow. WTF.

I work in insurance and even I think this is utter BS.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, October 06, 2015, 11:04:03 AM »
Konami, microtransaction hell taking over AAA games, Konami . . .

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, October 06, 2015, 12:44:31 PM »
Feels like them flipping us all the bird on their way out of the games business. Good riddance, fuckers.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, October 06, 2015, 01:28:35 PM »
My wallet just closed itself to this game, until I learn more about exactly what this means.  If I play strictly solo, and even refuse any Konami online agreements, does my game still get punked if the console happens to be online?  Do I have to be fully offline to avoid any bullshit?  Will they keep crapping on their product until it becomes unusable offline?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, October 06, 2015, 05:21:30 PM »
My wallet just closed itself to this game, until I learn more about exactly what this means.  If I play strictly solo, and even refuse any Konami online agreements, does my game still get punked if the console happens to be online?  Do I have to be fully offline to avoid any bullshit?  Will they keep crapping on their product until it becomes unusable offline?

I'd like to know the answer to this.  I have no idea how the MP in this game works.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: Sunday, December 27, 2015, 11:39:26 AM »
I bought both this and Phantom Pain and regret it.   I think it's time to admit that this series really isn't for me, unfortunately, because I really like some aspects of it.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 02:09:29 AM »
Has anyone actually played through this, like from someone who has followed the whole series since MGS1? At this point for me, MGS is mostly nostalgia and I fondly remember playing MGS1-4 and I considered it done. Phantom Pain looks cool and all but I started playing it and not sure why I should at all other than it possibly ruining what I liked from the series. All of its shitbat backstory comes off as just that, stupid and anime as fuck. From what I looked up, Hayter was dumped for Keifer just to say he's from hollywood and he barely says anything at all. I didn't realize Kojima was this shallow and I suppose the falling out with Konami makes sense. I'm seeing all the high critical praise is has so I suppose its a fun game but I honestly don't think I'm gonna like what this new MGS has become. So if anyone has played through it in this case, was it worth it?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 05:22:31 PM »
I've played all of the Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid games.  Phantom Pain is absolutely worth getting and if you decide to get it I would highly suggest reading or watching a synopsis of Peacewalker and Ground Zeroes if you don't want to bother with playing them (there are several videos on YouTube that can take care of this).  The switch to Keifer is noticeable and a bit of a let down.  This is most noticeable with Big Boss's lack of dialogue, but the story and supporting characters more than make up for this and yes, the story is absolutely batshit anime crazy, but in a good way that I enjoyed.  It does play totally different from any other MGS game, but there are so many ways you can play the game to suit multiple types of play styles.  I went with mostly stealth, but when the shit hit the fan and I was deep into a mission I could go guns blazing and still salvage it most times.  I did every single mission and probably clocked in around 90ish hours and had fun with almost every minute of it.  The game is so cheap now to where its not a big hit to the wallet if you end up disliking it for some reason.

EDIT: I'll also add that the doom and gloom about the microtransactions earlier in this thread are not anywhere near as bad as they are made out to be.  The Mother Base stuff accelerates at a steady pace to where I almost maxed out everything I could on it without spending any money on the Mother Base currency.  The microtransactions can be completely ignored and they are only mentioned ONCE in the tutorial for Mother Base.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, July 20, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »
Has anyone actually played through this, like from someone who has followed the whole series since MGS1? At this point for me, MGS is mostly nostalgia and I fondly remember playing MGS1-4 and I considered it done. Phantom Pain looks cool and all but I started playing it and not sure why I should at all other than it possibly ruining what I liked from the series. All of its shitbat backstory comes off as just that, stupid and anime as fuck. From what I looked up, Hayter was dumped for Keifer just to say he's from hollywood and he barely says anything at all. I didn't realize Kojima was this shallow and I suppose the falling out with Konami makes sense. I'm seeing all the high critical praise is has so I suppose its a fun game but I honestly don't think I'm gonna like what this new MGS has become. So if anyone has played through it in this case, was it worth it?

Logan and I actually talked at-length about the game.  I haven't played it either, and I asked him the same thing.  He's the only one I know who likes MGS probably more than I do.  He said that as a game it is amazing, probably the best 3d game he's played.  But the story is terrible and unfinished like they (presumably) just rushed it after Kojima peaced out.  I've yet to buy it, mainly because I'm sort of content considering MGS4 the end of the series.  I mean Phantom Pain supposedly bridges the gap between Snake Eater and Metal Gear, but judging by what he said i'm not really in a hurry to grab it.  I might not ever grab it.