Author Topic: THQ Nordic Thread -> Update: THQ Nordic buys out Koch Media (Reply 5)  (Read 5952 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
THQ Nordic Thread -> Update: THQ Nordic buys out Koch Media (Reply 5)
« on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 05:27:34 PM »
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 15, 2018, 04:42:06 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: THQ defaults on $50 million credit; UbiSoft interested in some of THQ's assets
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 08:24:10 PM »
Why do the good ones end up with problems and the bad ones end up buying all their shit? Aggravating.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: THQ defaults on $50 million credit; UbiSoft interested in some of THQ's assets
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 03:33:32 PM »
Why do the good ones end up with problems and the bad ones end up buying all their shit? Aggravating.

Damned if I know. {shrug}

I really hope Metro: Last Light and SR4 gets released before THQ falls...
...or better yet, somehow THQ can survive this all, even though it really doesn't look good for them. :(

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 04:32:36 PM »
I sort of feel like I should have bought Darksiders 2 to support them, I really enjoyed the first one, yet I wait for a steam sale. I suppose I am apart of the problem...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 05:09:10 PM »
I sort of feel like I should have bought Darksiders 2 to support them, I really enjoyed the first one, yet I wait for a steam sale. I suppose I am apart of the problem...

I don't think companies putting out around 11 DLC's for a said game like Darksiders 2 and doesn't really have many PC-centric features out-the-box as well, really makes me want to buy the game ASAP...

Doesn't help that I ain't finished Darksiders 1 PC, either...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 06:42:23 PM »
Think about the amount for a second. 50 million dollars. Shouldn't people be angry about this? :P

It all seems like a game now. LOL WE LOST 50 MILLION! LOL!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 19, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »
THQ sold to “stalking horse,” files for bankruptcy.

I didn't know what "stalking horse" meant, so I looked it up.

Quote from: Investopedia
Definition of 'Stalking-Horse Bid'
An initial bid on a bankrupt company's assets from an interested buyer chosen by the bankrupt company. From a pool of bidders, the bankrupt company chooses the stalking horse to make the first bid.

Am I understanding the implications of that correctly?  No one beyond the initial starting bidder, who is a ringer of sorts, put in a bid?  Doesn't sound good in any case.  Final nail in that coffin.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, December 19, 2012, 01:13:53 PM »
Hmm, could it be Ubisoft? Rumours suggested that Ubi expressed interest in several of THQ's leading franchises.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 11:57:12 PM »
The auction was today (Jan 22) and there's supposed to be a hearing tomorrow (Jan 23) where we'll find out who won what in the auction. I think the hearing is 9am pacific.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: THQ defaults on $50 million credit; UbiSoft interested in some of THQ's assets
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 01:52:03 AM »
I hope Darksiders 3 gets made, although I have no idea if that has anything to do with the option.   

Also, if it DOES, I hope it goes to Ubi.  Crystal Dynamics needs to handle that and go back the the Zelda/Kain feeling of the first game.  The leveling and loot of the second was detrimental to the otherwise badass game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 02:10:56 PM »
Sega bought Relic. They already owned Creative Assembly (Total War) so Sega is looking to be the big player in RTS now.

Relic Entertainment
Makers of Company of Heroes
Winning bidder: Sega, $26.6 million.
Runner-up: Zenimax Media, $26.3 million.

THQ Montreal
Makers of 1666 and Underdog, titles under development.
Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $2.5 million. No runner-up.

Evolve
(title in development at Turtle Rock Studios)
Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million.
Runner-up: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000.

Volition, Inc.
Maker of Saints Row
Winning bidder: Koch Media, $22,312,925.
Runner-up: Ubisoft, $5.4 million.

Homefront
Released 2011; due for a sequel.
Winning bidder: Crytek. $544,218.
No runner-up.

Metro
Series; due for the sequel Metro: Last Light.
Winning Bidder: Koch Media, $5,877,551
Runner-up: Ubisoft: $5.175 million.

South Park
License; South Park: The Stick of Truth is due for release March 5.
Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $3,265,306
No runner-up.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: THQ Auction Thread
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 08:58:57 PM »
Ok, nothing against the guys at Vigil, but a platinum made Darksiders could be fucking great.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: THQ Auction Thread
« Reply #15 on: Monday, January 28, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »
Oh, this is interesting...

Crytek opens brand new Crytek Austin Studio (Crytek's first USA Studio) w/ 36 that were formerly that were working at Vigil Games

By Jeffrey Matulef Published Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Last week's THQ closure left the publisher's most beloved properties like Saint's Row and Company of Heroes scattered in several different directions with publishers like Sega and Ubisoft taking the reins, but curiously, the one studio that nobody bought was Darksiders' developer Vigil Games. There were rumours that Bayonetta developer Platinum Games was courting them, but it looks like Vigil general manager and co-owner David Adams along with 35 members of his team have landed a role with Crytek, as the Crysis developer opens up its first North American office in Austin, Texas.

Adams, is now the newly appointed CEO of Crytek's US studio.
"I'm thrilled to be a part of the newest Crytek studio, which will boast some of the brightest development talent in the industry," he said in the announcement. "The studio's launch represents Crytek's commitment to delivering diverse and high quality content to players everywhere."

Crytek CEO, Cevat Yerli added, "We are extremely excited about the work that we will be undertaking from our strategic new location in Austin, with David Adams and his team of 35 experienced developers. We believe our CryENGINE technology will enable the team we assemble to create unparalleled new gaming experiences."

"Crytek has always enjoyed a special relationship with gamers and business partners in North America, so establishing a permanent presence in the US was a natural step."

Besides the new Austin studio, Crytek has headquarters in Germany, the Ukraine, Hungary, Bulgaria, South Korea, the UK, China, and Turkey.

Now, the question remains: will this new studio continue Vigil's work on the project codenamed Crawler that lead combat designer Ben Cureton was so excited about? We've followed up with Crytek about this - as well as the rights to Darksiders - and will update if we find anything out.

Last week Crytek bought the right to Homefront for $544,218. It was already developing a sequel to the 2011 shooter, so now it will either self-publish or strike up a deal with another publisher.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: THQ Auction-> Update: Crytek picks up 36 employees from Vigil for new TX studio
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2013, 02:43:38 AM »
Darksiders III in CryEngine? Oooooo! Hehe

Who knows what will happen but I'm glad the gang from Vigil have a new home and base of operations. Joe Madureira can resume his foray into games and game art!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: THQ Auction-> Update: Crytek picks up 36 employees from Vigil for new TX studio
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2013, 04:21:06 PM »
Darksiders III in CryEngine? Oooooo! Hehe
That would be AWESOME - putting one of the most technically awesome engines w/ one of the coolest artistic-style graphics around.
I surely could get down w/ that.

We don't know yet if Crytek bought Darksiders IP.
We don't now yet if Crytek bought whatever "Codename Crawler" was and its IP, also.

I hope they do buy it all, though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: THQ Auction-> Update: Rest of THQ properties up for auction in April
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »
PCGamer -> Rest of THQ's remaining properties to be auctioned off in April (inlcluding Homeworld, Darksiders, Titan Quest, Red Faction, etc).

The date’s been set for the final court-supervised auction of THQ’s remaining properties. Those titles not bought in January’s fire sale have been divided into lots, with initial bids due in April 1st. Final bids are required by April 15th, then, pending court approval, THQ expects to sell the remaining vestige of its existence by mid-May. *Sniff*

While the tastiest morsels have already been picked away, there’s still some meat clinging to the THQ bone. Darksiders, Homeworld and Red Faction are all looking for a new home. In an ideal world, the Homeworld license will be picked up by someone who’ll actually use it, and Red Faction will end up somewhere that recognises the brilliance of Guerrilla over the mediocrity of Armageddon.

Here’s the full list:

Lot 1: Red Faction
Red Faction
Red Faction Armageddon
Red Faction 2
Red Faction: Guerrilla

Lot 2: Homeworld
Homeworld
Homeworld 2

Lot 3: MX
MX Alive
MX vs ATV Untamed
MX Superfly featuring Ricky Carmichael
MX vs. ATV Alive Tournament
MX Unleashed
MX vs. ATV Unleashed
MX vs ATV Reflex
MX vs. ATV: On The Edge

Lot 4: Darksiders
Darksiders
Darksiders 2

Lot 5: Other Owned Software
All Star Cheer Squad
Elements of Destruction
All Star Cheer Squad 2
Fantastic Pets
All Star Karate
Frontlines: Fuel of War
Baja: Edge of Control
Full Spectrum Warrior 1
Full Spectrum Warrior 2: Ten Hammers
Battle of the Bands
Beat City
Juiced
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
Big Beach Sports
Big Beach Sports 2
Lock’s Quest: Construction Combat
Big Family Games
Neighborhood Games
Crawler
Pax Imperia
de Blob
de Blob 2
Stuntman: Ignition
Summoner
Summoner 2
Deadly Creatures
Deep Six
Terranium
Destroy All Humans!
Destroy All Humans! 2
Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed
Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon
The Outfit
Titan Quest
Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
uDraw
Dood’s Big Adventure
World of Zoo
Drawn to Life
Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter

Lot 6: Licensed Software
Costume Quest
Stacking
Scripps Spelling Bee (Scripps)
Daniel X (SueJack)
Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of Osborne House
Deepak Chopra’s Leela (Curious Holdings)
Fancy Nancy: Tea Party Time! (Harper Collins)
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance
Jeopardy
Jeopardy 2
The Biggest Loser
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Truth or Lies
Let’s Ride Best of Breed
Vampire Legends: Power of Three (dtp)
Marvel Super Hero Squad: Comic Combat
Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet
Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet 2
Wheel of Fortune
Wheel of Fortune 2
World of Zoo
Nancy Drew: The Hidden Staircase
Worms 2
Worms Battle Islands
Worms Open Warfare
Worms: A Space Oddity
Worms: Open Warfare 2 (Team 17)
Nexuiz
Paws & Claws Marine Rescue
Paws & Claws Pampered Pets Resort 3D
PurrPals 2
Rio
You Don’t Know Jack (Jellyvision)
Rocket Riot
Screwjumper (Frozen Codebase)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 11:47:39 PM »
So,  haven't really read into this at all, but is THQ like DONE?  Like, are they bankrupt, selling off assets and restructuring, or are they actually completely liquidated and defunct?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Friday, March 01, 2013, 11:24:42 AM »
They're done, bankrupt for real (not the fake "restructuring" kind of bankruptcy).  The whole thing is getting carved like a turkey and sold off by sections, man.  I'd say done and done.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: THQ Auction-> Update: Gearbox grabs Homeworld IP
« Reply #22 on: Monday, April 22, 2013, 02:32:35 PM »
Gearbox website -> Gearbox grabs Homeworld IP.

EDIT:
Kotaku -> Nordic Games takes A LOT of stuff - Darksiders, Red Faction, Sup Com, etc.

The $6.55 million sale of the IP assets breaks down as follows:

$4.9 million from Nordic Games Licensing AB, a Swedish-based video games publisher, for Darksiders, Red Faction, MX vs ATV, Other Owned Software (includes Destroy all Humans!, Summoner and more), and Other Licensed Software (includes Marvel Super Hero Squad, Supreme Commander and more);

$1.35 million from Gearbox Software, LLC, a Plano, Tex.-based developer of interactive entertainment, for Homeworld; and

$.3 million from 505 Games Srl, an Italian video game publisher, for Drawn to Life and Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter
« Last Edit: Monday, April 22, 2013, 04:18:08 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #23 on: Monday, April 22, 2013, 04:24:53 PM »
Here's hoping Gearbox don't pawn it off on another lesser studio like Timegate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Monday, April 22, 2013, 04:37:06 PM »
Here's hoping Gearbox don't pawn it off on another lesser studio like Timegate.

Maybe Sega will sue Gearbox over Aliens: CM; Sega will sue to try to get the Homeworld IP; then if Sega succeeds, they'll ask Relic to make Homeworld 3. :P

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: THQ Auction -> Update: Gearbox grabs Homeworld IP; Nordic buys A LOT of IP's
« Reply #25 on: Monday, April 22, 2013, 11:44:17 PM »
Who the hell is Nordic?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Re: THQ Auction -> Update: Gearbox grabs Homeworld IP; Nordic buys A LOT of IP's
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, April 23, 2013, 12:50:20 AM »
Who the hell is Nordic?
Jowood. They're going through a brand revamp.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: THQ Auction -> Update: Gearbox grabs Homeworld IP; Nordic buys A LOT of IP's
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 04:22:58 PM »
IGN -> UbiSoft fires Patrice Desilets (creator of AC).
Remember, back in January, UbiSoft bought-out THQ Montreal and they were working on upcoming game 1666 - which is what Patrice and his team was working on.

EDIT -> May 16th, 2013:
Destructoid -> Ubisoft halts work on 1666.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 16, 2013, 04:58:41 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: THQ Auction -> Update: UbiSoft fires Patrice Desilets; Ubi halts work on 1666.
« Reply #28 on: Friday, June 14, 2013, 04:40:47 PM »
Shacknews -> Nordic Games wants to talk to ex-developers of IP's they took from THQ (Darksiders, Red Faction, etc).

Nordic Games describes early plans for Darksiders, Red Faction
by Steve Watts, Jun 14, 2013 11:15pm PDT