Author Topic: ZombiU (zombie horror launch title for WiiU)  (Read 1865 times)

Offline PyroMenace

ZombiU (zombie horror launch title for WiiU)
« on: Monday, November 19, 2012, 07:43:43 AM »
Couldn't find the thread to this if there is one, my apologies if there is.

Looks like its getting some pretty polarizing reviews:

Gamespot 4.5
IGN 6.3
Polygon 8.0
Eurogamer 9

The main con it's got going for it is its overly repetitive melee combat, Im not sure if these reviewers played the game the same way and maybe they found themselves using the melee combat too much and got overwhelmed by it, but I can't say without playing it. The quicklook on Giantbomb made it look neat and I think Patrick was digging it. I'm curious to how his review is going to come out.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: ZombiU (zombie horror launch title for WiiU)
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 19, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »
I'm wondering if people were expecting something more fast paced and run and gun. The combat looks slower and the pacing more methodical. I think it looks great. It's just too bad it's the only thing I'm interested in on the Wii U.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 19, 2012, 11:13:59 AM »
I'm wondering if people were expecting something more fast paced and run and gun. The combat looks slower and the pacing more methodical. I think it looks great. It's just too bad it's the only thing I'm interested in on the Wii U.

And that by itself won't sell me the system.  Other than a killer new Mario or Zelda, I can't think of anything that would stand a chance.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 19, 2012, 02:18:08 PM »
Yea, this game is a great example of what will sell me on the system, but it'll take more than one or two before I'll want to bite.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 19, 2012, 11:44:48 PM »
I watched two reviews because I was bored and curious. From what I got was the main complaints revolve around poor execution rather than the actual conceptual mechanics.  What stood out to me watching both reviews was that the combat did indeed seem like a chore - with zombies taking (up to 12?!) head shots from a melee weapon ...all with the same animation. And I get that it may be a survival horror game and possibly not centered around combat at all, but both reviews I watched really made it look like combat was a pretty big focus (lots of enemies on screen, reviewers commenting that running is an option, but usually just leads to combat anyways).

I don't know, it seems like a cool concept, but it may take a sequel to really shine.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, July 30, 2015, 12:00:44 PM »
Interesting. I kinda wanted to try that one. Wonder how different it'll be without the second screen stuff.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: Friday, July 31, 2015, 11:36:31 AM »
Eurogamer -> Zombi (versions for PS4, X1, PC) cuts MP; but adds some new weapons, additions & changes.

-> New versions should have faster load times + technical improvements
-> Multiplayer portion removed in Zombi for PC, PS4, X1
-> New short-range weapons: shovel + nail bat.
-> Shovel is longer weapon, used for long-range + hitting multiple foes.
-> Nail Bat is like shovel, but also has additional damage + increased chances for critical damage.
-> Mini-map will be in corner of the main-screen.
-> Opening inventory still doesn't pause the game.
-> Dedicated button to accessing the inventory + now can assign hotkeys/shortcut keys for them.