Author Topic: Bungie's Destiny  (Read 13309 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Bungie's Destiny
« on: Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 09:29:49 PM »
Looks Bungie is finally working on something that's not Halo, Destiny.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Bungie's Destiny
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 09:45:55 PM »
Sexy art. Hope it doesn't suck.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Monday, March 18, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
I'm just gonna wait for the irony in all of this said here, just in case the launch of Destiny winds up as disastrous (or worse) than SimCity 2013's launch...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 02:46:29 AM »
Yeah but Destiny is being developed as a MMO experience.. From what I or anyone can understand from the vague descriptions we've read about it from Bungie. Honestly, I think even Bungie are having a hard time defining it.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 05:31:45 PM »
From the little bits of information I've seen, I'm expecting something along the lines of Guild Wars 1. For those who don't know, in GW1 you had high population cities, with extra channels (copies of that town) for when populations rise too high in that zone. When you went into a mission area, it was only you and your party.

Or it could be like Neverwinter, which is similar to GW1, but with some public combat areas. Towns are high population, but have channels to accommodate extreme populations. From there you zone into a questing area which is structured the same way. You'll see random players, but there are multiple channels so that not everyone is crammed into the same place. Then the quests you're doing tend to ramp up into final confrontations, which take place in short 5-10 minute private "dungeons" (party members can come with you). Neverwinter also lets you queue up for 5 man dungeons and pvp.

Destiny could very well be mostly open world like World of Warcraft and other MMOs, but their hesitance to come straight out and call it an MMO makes me think it's structured differently somehow.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 06:10:24 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, August 25, 2013, 07:31:01 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, July 24, 2014, 04:41:37 PM »
The beta has been going on for a week for Playstation users. It started up day before yesterday for Xbox users. Starting today it's available to anyone with Xbox Live Gold, so you don't need a code anymore. It ends on the 27th.

~6GB download on PS3/360
~12GB download on PS4/XB1

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 05:12:34 AM »
I've been playing it for the past few days and I am hooked.

I've already decided that I am getting this game. My only concern is regional bullcrap with bundled DLC codes so I will not pre-order it. I'll instead wait for official release and buy a physical copy.

The game is a lot of fun. It can be best described as a merger between MMORPG and first-person shooter. The only odd design decision I found (which I hope was only limited to the beta) is that a fireteam (party) can only have a maximum of 3 players. So my 3 friends and I had to split our team in to 2 by 2 so that no one player would be left alone. But the two parties never encountered one another. Even though we were in areas with several other players (8 or more) attacking an objective together. They were just random encounters with other players.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 04:14:56 PM »
The game is a lot of fun. It can be best described as a merger between MMORPG and first-person shooter.

It's actually structures more like an MMO than I expected. All 5 of the missions in the beta take place in the same zone, it just drops you off at different locations depending on which one you're doing. When you go back in explore mode, you can go to all those places again. Other players are running around in the world, and in town, too. It's just limited to 16 players in any given area. (I know it's 16 in town, I assume it's the same in the open world.)

The only odd design decision I found (which I hope was only limited to the beta) is that a fireteam (party) can only have a maximum of 3 players. So my 3 friends and I had to split our team in to 2 by 2 so that no one player would be left alone. But the two parties never encountered one another. Even though we were in areas with several other players (8 or more) attacking an objective together. They were just random encounters with other players.

I doubt they'll change this, but I really wish they would.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »
I don't know why Bungie had such a hard time describing the game to players, it really is an MMO with FPS gameplay. I guess their PR department were reluctant to oversimplify it fearing that players would just write it off as little more than just another MMO.

The exploration mode is great. You can see how each zone connects and it's a great way to just wander the environment and uncovering all sorts of secrets and hidden loot chests.

Judging from the beta, it's not a perfect game obviously, it is extremely addictive. Even more than Borderlands (to which it will inevitably be compared).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Friday, July 25, 2014, 11:12:46 PM »
Can it be played solo, like Borderlands, or is it pretty much just MMO?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, July 26, 2014, 01:05:04 AM »
Can it be played solo, like Borderlands, or is it pretty much just MMO?

It can be played solo, but you will see other people in the world. The Strike missions are like the instanced dungeons in WoW, so you won't be able to solo those unless you outlevel them first. (Any that are designed for max-level won't likely be solo-able.) The story missions and free-roam stuff is all solo-able. There are random group events in the world that can be tough to solo, but if multiple players run up and help, they never have to talk or group up to all get credit.

It requires a connection 100% of the time though, and I think your character data is even stored on their servers, not your local system. Aside from the 16 player limit in each zone, I would say it's structured just like an MMO though. (no monthly fees though)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, July 27, 2014, 03:59:53 PM »
Thanks for your detailed answer, man.  Appreciate that you took the time.  I guess it boils down to "no", from my perspective.  The forever-online requirement and losing control of my save data cross the line into that place where I will not go.

It seems games like Halo, COD and perhaps even Borderlands are all headed that way.  I'm sure it will be very popular.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, July 27, 2014, 04:39:11 PM »
Beta is officially over. It was fun while it lasted and gave me a good taste of the game to behold.

As with other betas, I hold some reservations about how the final game will be but I will grab it when it's available.

Here's a Gamespot introspective article: The 7 Big Questions We Have After Playing the Destiny Beta

They pose some interesting questions. Worth a read.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, July 31, 2014, 10:28:38 AM »
Come to think of it Destiny's online structure plays a lot like Phantasy Star Online.

Get your fireteam together, launch into an instance or you can also go into the world in "explore" mode. The missions all play out in the same areas which you can explore.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #18 on: Thursday, July 31, 2014, 09:14:39 PM »
WOW

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 02:50:35 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #22 on: Friday, September 12, 2014, 04:40:10 PM »
Now that I'm playing the final product I can safely say it is all sorts of fun.

Any criticisms I have so far are more about certain design decisions and and perhaps the game's inter-genre identity.

For example, considering the tin size of fireteams (3 players max), the instanced nature of the missions, and the fact that you have minimum social interactivity (e.g. no trading, no chatting, no clans, etc.), I don't understand why the game needs to be in its current online-only format, like an MMO. It could have totally just run more like Borderlands with better matchmaking or a live lobby.

The only place that you really meet people is in the Tower, which is the "town" equivalent of a traditional MMO. Since each combat area is limited to max 16 players, they're usually so sparsely spread out the massive maps that you rarely see other players. When you start a mission or enter a "Respawn Restricted" area the game creates an instance for your fireteam only, further taking away from the MMO aspect.

Many traditional MMO features are missing, as I mentioned there's no trading or clan management, it ends up feeling somewhat stripped down to a shooter with a façade of an MMO veiling its surface.

I'm not saying the game doesn't have any MMO features in it, I'm saying what semblance of MMO that remains is needless in a game of this nature. They just feel like they were added on to set Destiny apart from typical shooter formats like in Halo or Call of Duty and no other reason.

EDIT:
Here's an interesting discussion which was just posted on GameTrailers that sums some of my feelings on the game:
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/6yprqc/destiny-report--destiny-launch-recap
« Last Edit: Friday, September 12, 2014, 05:33:54 PM by Xessive »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, September 13, 2014, 12:00:09 AM »
The game feels a little bit more MMO once you hit max level. Your gear progression will then come from running 3 man instances, or pvp, and most of it requires reputations to buy. In a few days, the first raid comes out and if you haven't geared up, you won't stand a chance.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, September 13, 2014, 05:54:24 AM »
I really love the look of it. Gorgeous game. But reading that you basically just go back to the same areas over and over again completely killed any potential interest I had in the game. Also, the story looks to be completely overblown, worthless, and nonsensical from what I've watched.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, September 13, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »
I really love the look of it. Gorgeous game. But reading that you basically just go back to the same areas over and over again completely killed any potential interest I had in the game. Also, the story looks to be completely overblown, worthless, and nonsensical from what I've watched.

Did you ever play World of Warcraft? If so, probably from alliance side, right? As a human you start in Elwynn forest, in the vicinity of Goldshire. You get a quest to get candles from kobolds in a mine, and another to kill a kobold named Goldtooth in the same mine. Later there's a quest to kill a pig named Princess. Near the end of the zone, there a quest to kill a gnoll named Hogger.

I just described Earth in Destiny. Just imagine you get dropped off in Goldshire every time you start a mission in that zone. You get on your mount and head to the quest destination. When you get far enough into the mine and are getting close to Goldtooth, it becomes instanced and you're in there alone, which keeps you from waiting for Goldtooth to respawn because another player just killed him. You hearth to town, check your skills and new gear, and then take the flight path back to Goldshire (Earth). Once you get there, you mount up and head toward Princess, because that's your next quest.

The story is really vague about everything though, and the only proper nouns they use are for enemy races and units. (Dregs are one of the units for the Fallen race.) The villain is "The Darkness". You meet important characters that are never given names.
(click to show/hide)
. Even when characters are given names, they're vague, like The Speaker.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, September 13, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »
Yeah, I get the concept, but that doesn't work for me at all in a shooter. Borderlands I think handled it a little more gracefully than Destiny seems to. Though to be fair, I got suuuper sick of Borderlands well before the finale also. It just became very repetitive in a way I can't deal with when playing a game that lets you directly control a character and where you're playing with arcade-level responsiveness. Shooting inherently only holds interest for me when there's enough tactical interest from moment to moment and enough incentive to see what's next. In an MMO format, the "what's next" part gets mostly lost, and the repeated environments sort of end up losing the tactical interest as well. The lack of a worthwhile story (again, from what I've gathered from others) puts the nail in the coffin.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #29 on: Monday, September 22, 2014, 06:11:48 AM »
My stepson got a PS4 and I've played some of this game.  It's alright, but I keep getting knocked out of the game.  From my reading, this has something to do with the PS4 not handling WiFi adversity pretty well.  Where my PS4 is at, it is in a place that is pretty noisy on channel 6.  Unfortunately I cannot change the channel to 1 or 11 because those have even more interference.

I either need to get an external WiFi adapter, one that handles interference better, or I need to somehow get a wired connection to the PS4.  :(

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Monday, October 06, 2014, 12:23:32 PM by MysterD »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, October 05, 2014, 01:37:12 PM »
My issues with Destiny have improved.  I think much of the problem was on Bungie's end for failing to properly protect against DDoS, possibly not having enough capacity, bugs in the server code, and/or a reduction in players since the game came out.  I still every once in awhile have an issue with the PS4 WiFi itself.  Sometimes when I get disconnected, no online features of the PS4 work until I reboot it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2014, 06:56:07 AM »
Sony has not handled all these recent DDoS attacks well at all.  PSN has been reported down at least weekly for a while.  They need to ramp up their infrastructure somehow, if they hope to go head-to-head with the ever-present XBL (which has been just as much of a DDoS target, but stayed up and running anyway, with few hiccups).  Also, this business of WiFi issues is alarming.  Isn't that a mature tech by now?  Can you get a booster of some kind?  Or is the problem just on the PS4's end?

It does illustrate the vulnerability of online-only gaming.  You don't have the option to go play local splitscreen with your son when Bungie's servers or PSN go down.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2014, 07:20:23 AM »
Actually WiFi is in a pretty crappy spot right now.  It looks like the PS4's WiFi hardware, firmware, or drivers (or some combination of the three) just frankly suck.  It's like my Samsung Smart TV, which also has the WiFi just totally crap out occasionally.  With both devices, the only solution is to reboot it.

Some people are using Ethernet-over-power, which makes it generally easier to make a wired LAN in the home for the average person.  I'm hesitant to do that though, because I've heard it can cause your data that's normally on the wire to be emitted as radio waves from the power lines.  I haven't done the necessary research to confirm or deny it.

A WiFi bridge is also a potential solution.  Anyone remember the original Xbox's wireless adapter?  It was a standalone device that you hooked up to the Xbox's LAN port.  This was a WiFi bridge.  As long as you get a decent one, this bypasses the crappy WiFi system in the PS4.  The only negative here is that wireless bridges are half-duplex.

As far as PSN and DDoS, I totally agree.  They need to front end the whole thing with something like CloudFlare, which is basically a provider that does DDoS and threat prevention.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, November 02, 2014, 06:12:42 PM »
GameSpot -> Bungie on why unfinished areas for Destiny DLC actually shipped on the disc

If you've been following our Destiny coverage you may have noticed that some clever players have been able to access unfinished parts of the game that will officially released as DLC later. For example, one player managed to enter The Terminus, which we weren't supposed to see until the release of The Dark Below, Destiny's first piece of DLC.

In an interview with Eurogamer, Bungie president Harold Ryan explained that a bunch of this "shared-world" content was shipped on the disc specifically to limit the download sizes for people. "Both inside the US and all over the world, how much you download on your local home internet connection can be a problem, and even how much storage space it takes up on your console," Ryan said. "So we share a lot of assets across all the activities in the game. When people get into areas that aren't unlocked right now, they're seeing pieces we built and shipped ahead of time, but they're by no means the finished experiences or even the finished content."

Ryan also said that most of content for The Dark Below, for example, was built over the last three months, long after the main game was done. Eris, a new character that will send you on missions in the DLC, her story, and various activities and bosses were all made and polished after the game shipped, ryan said.

Last week, Bungie announced that The Dark Below DLC will release on December 9, and will sell as a single download for $20. The DLC will add new weapons, new story missions, raise the level cap to 32, and much more, which you can read about in detail in here.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: Monday, November 03, 2014, 03:42:33 AM »
World of Warcraft had tons of areas included in the initial release that weren't used until later. Hyjal was only accessible through glitching your way in. It was used as a raid instance 2 years after launch, and was fully fleshed out in the overworld 6 years after launch. Silithus had no quests at launch, no town, and the enemies didn't even drop loot. A year later they revamped it with a town, new flight path, quests, and even pvp objectives. Karazhan existed, and even had an extensive crypt you could glitch into (which was never fleshed out or used). Ironforge had a huge area underneath it called Old Ironforge, which was never used. Gilneas, the gates to Uldum, Caverns of Time, Grim Batol, Zul'Gurub, The Sunwell and Silvermoon City all had known locations or even entrances on the world map, but were inaccessible.

I know, people keep telling me Destiny isn't an mmo, but as someone who plays a shitload of mmos, it feels closer to that than it does to the typical shooter. I don't really think anything of it when I hear there's areas on the disc that aren't fully developed or used yet.

Now if you want to talk about the lack of content in the game, or especially in the DLC, I'll agree it's bullshit. They already got my money though. I paid an extra $30 to get the season pass with the base game.

Base game:
20 PvE missions across 4 planets
5 group dungeons
1 raid
10 pvp maps (3 of which are only available in the smaller 6 player modes)

$20 DLC:
3 PvE missions on existing planets
1 group dungeon
1 raid
3 new pvp maps
new weapons and armor for the new level 32 cap

On PS3/4 the base game gives you 1 additional group dungeon, and 1 additional pvp map, as well as a few high end items not available to Xbox players. PS3/4 players get an additional group dungeon with the first DLC as well.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »
Polygon -> Destiny sequel already in the works.

Destiny was the largest new franchise launch in video game history and ranks among the top ten largest video game launches of all time, according to publisher Activision. So it shouldn't be a surprise that Bungie is not only working on more expansions, but the next full game.

"Work has also begun on future expansion packs as well as on our next full game release,"  said Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg during today's Activision Blizzard earnings call. "We're very pleased with the launch and continuing engagement."

To date, Destiny has more than 9.5 million registered users and active players are playing the game three hours a day on average, according to the publisher's quarterly report released today.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 05:41:03 PM »
Well I haven't had much interest in the game for a long time now, but I'm glad that it seemed to do well enough to allow continued work. Perhaps it'll turn into something that will turn my interest again.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re:
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 08:47:07 PM »
I played this game to level 20 and beat it and quickly lost interest after that.  It really needs some sort of proximity chat to make building a fire team easier.