Author Topic: GameSpy MP -> Update: Crysis 1+2 MP will shutdown w/ it.  (Read 1992 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: GameSpy MP -> Update: Crysis 1+2 MP will shutdown w/ it.
« Reply #2 on: Monday, April 14, 2014, 09:25:50 PM »
Hooray! Oh...wait....

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 12:38:11 AM »
Why does Ziff Davis buy all of these video game related sites just to shut them down?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 06:02:02 AM »
I would imagine to consolidate and/or eliminate competition.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 10:10:58 AM »
Why does Ziff Davis buy all of these video game related sites just to shut them down?

Que is right.  Capitalism for Big Boys 101.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 11:40:08 AM »
Was Gamespy really that big of a market though? Until I heard that site was shutting down (yesterday) I hadn't been to the site in years.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »
They ran a lot of back-end. More than a lot of us realized, apparently. The site was irrelevant.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Friday, April 18, 2014, 01:11:46 PM »
Oh well, I did like their top ten lists.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, May 11, 2014, 05:25:26 AM »
Bluesnews -> EA still investigating GameSpy shutdown solutions + are looking for community-input

EA News has an "Update on EA Titles Hosted on GameSpy," admitting they don't yet have a plan to preserve multiplayer support in some of their titles impacted by the impending shutdown of GameSpy services. They say they are hoping the community can participate in finding a solution, but in the meantime they announce they have nothing to announce in this regard:

GameSpy announced earlier this month that they would be ending all hosted services for games, which impacts the online capabilities of a number of older titles, including some from EA.

Since GameSpy’s announcement, our teams have been working to evaluate options to keep services up and running. Unfortunately, due to technical challenges and concerns about the player experience, we do not have a solution at this time. Online services for EA games on the GameSpy platform will be closed down at the end of June.

We know some of these games are still fan favorites, including Battlefield 2, Battlefield 1942, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Command & Conquer games. We are still investigating community-supported options to preserve online functionality for these titles, such as multiplayer. Significant technical hurdles remain, and at this time we don’t have anything to announce.

For the full list of titles impacted by the change, visit the EA Online Services Updates page here.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, May 11, 2014, 10:52:24 AM »
I don't get why EA is still pondering; wouldn't their priority be to push Origin? Their only other practical alternative is to sign on with Steamworks services for the multiplayer infrastructure.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, May 11, 2014, 02:00:28 PM »
I don't get why EA is still pondering; wouldn't their priority be to push Origin? Their only other practical alternative is to sign on with Steamworks services for the multiplayer infrastructure.

I don't know why EA don't just talk to GameRanger, who seems to be taking upon themselves to save some of the GameSpy games.