Author Topic: Dark Souls II  (Read 16696 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Dark Souls II
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, March 06, 2014, 08:06:12 PM »
I can't believe it's almost out already. I feel like I just played the first one. That's actually probably why I'm able to resist ... I really don't feel ready for another game of this stature yet. I want to be really ready when I play it. Have some time and stuff.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, March 06, 2014, 10:08:23 PM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #42 on: Friday, March 07, 2014, 12:19:01 AM »
I'll take this bet on. I say Que doesn't buy it. (just for the hell of it)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #43 on: Friday, March 07, 2014, 06:15:42 AM »
Haha, there's no way I'm buying it. I have no desire to play it right now, not to mention the cash is already spoken for. I have a lot of medical bills at this point, pretty much all of which are at collections, and what tiny bit of spare money I had is gone thanks to the D3 expansion. Since there's no way this doesn't become greatest hits or get a price drop at some point, I'll be waiting.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #44 on: Friday, March 07, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »
When is Diablo 3 expanding?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #45 on: Friday, March 07, 2014, 12:23:59 PM »
Will it have co-op? I mean actual co-op, not some spawn-a-random-player-temporarily crap?

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #46 on: Friday, March 07, 2014, 12:54:39 PM »
Yeah, I want to know as well. If it has "true" co-op, I'll get it.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #47 on: Friday, March 07, 2014, 01:12:13 PM »
I don't think so.  Sort of goes against the nature of the game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Friday, March 07, 2014, 03:26:13 PM »
Link
PC Gamer: What are you doing to improve the online side of Dark Souls 2? Will it be easier for friends to find each other, for example?

Tanimura: We want to maintain the “loose” connections with other players in the online space, and will not have any ways of directly playing with friends, but we do understand the requests for a closer connection amongst friends, and so we will add elements such as items to narrow in your co-op partners, and also add voice chat in specific situations.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #49 on: Friday, March 07, 2014, 03:47:57 PM »
Convenient jolly cooperation?!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #50 on: Friday, March 07, 2014, 03:56:57 PM »
Has it been stated if the PC version will require Steamworks...or what?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Friday, March 07, 2014, 05:52:57 PM »
PC Requirements

Minimum

OS: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.2Ghz or Intel Pentium Core  2 Duo E8500 3.17Ghz
    Memory: 2 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT, ATI RadeonHD 5870
    Hard Drive: 8 GB available space
    Sound Card: Compatible with DirectX 9.0c or higher
    Network: Internet connection required for online play and product activation

Recommended

Processor: Intel CoreTM i3 2100 3.10GHz or AMD A8 3870K 3.0GHz
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 or higher, ATI Radeon HD 6870 or higher
    Hard Drive: 8 GB available space
    Sound Card: Compatible with DirectX 9.0c or higher
    Network: Internet connection required for online play and product Activation

The "product activation" part would probably indicate Steam. No one would use GFWL now and I'm not aware of anything that offers something similar. I guess they could be running their own servers and services, but I kind of doubt that if they can just offload all that to Valve without having the internet rip them a new one.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, March 08, 2014, 03:44:00 AM »
On GamersGate it lists the DRM as "Steamworks (Requires a third-party download and account)."

So that at least confirms the activation. As for the servers? It depends on the developer/publisher decision.

Apparently, there are tiers within Steamworks, for example whether or not the dev want to add cloud-sync, server management, auto-patching, etc. It's entirely up to the publisher what features are activated for the product. The greater the features the more of a cut Valve gets.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, March 11, 2014, 08:44:48 AM »
RELEASE DAY IS UPON US!!!!

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, March 11, 2014, 03:48:58 PM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 03:11:00 AM »
ehehehhe

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 06:10:55 AM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 07:30:35 AM »
I think it's safe to say this franchise has a cult following.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 09:58:10 AM »
Looking forward to hearing the good word from our resident fanatics!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 10:05:57 AM »
I wish I had more to report.  After getting Willa settled I decided to disassemble my computer, move everything out, and clean in preparation for the new computer.  By the time I sat down to play it was about 9 PM.  day 1 update plus an install took it to 9:30 or so.  All I've done basically is mull around in the intro area trying to kill the strong baddies in there (and failing miserably.  the sun, praise it).

So yeah, I haven't even made it outside the confines of the tutorial.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, March 12, 2014, 10:36:12 AM »
I have no idea how much time I've put in it, but it has to be around 14-16 hours so far and I'm loving it.  The first hour or so was a little strange mainly because the combat and animations feel a little different.  Its hard to put into words but it almost feels a little more floaty?  It may have something to do with the general framerate improvements over Dark Souls but everything feels smoother so it takes a few fights to get used to it.  The enemies are also a lot less forgiving than in Dark Souls. You can rarely circle around them endlessly and get a cheap back stab in and the animation priority is even tighter on when you have to get your attacks in. I think anyone that has played Dark Souls will be used to it quickly though.

There is still a lot of unknowns about this game naturally when it comes to covenants, some items, and NPCs though so I may not be 100% correct on this stuff. There are couple of the things that stand out the most from Dark Souls in terms of items and gameplay.  You become human now with an item called a Human Effigy (I've found several so far while exploring) that you use in the menu (DO NOT THROW IT IN THE BONFIRE TO BECOME HUMAN, THAT IS FOR LESSENING YOUR CHANCES OF BEING INVADED). Being human grants you the same perks as it did in Dark Souls. If you die when you are Hollow you lose a tiny bit of health each time you die until it reaches 50% health.  This health can only recovered when you become human again or if you find a ring that keeps some of your health.  You also heal with two different items now, life gems and Estus Flasks.  The life gems are not refilled at the bonfire and the Estus Flasks are.  I've found life gems on enemies and in chests but Estus Flask count is increased by finding Estus Flask shards and giving them to an NPC that turns them into another flask for you (1 shard = 1 flask).  I've only found four shards so far.

There is also a couple of new stats thrown in the mix now, which are Vigor and Adaptability.  I won't go into too much details on those since the game explains it better than I could.  The new menus are great as well.  It is so much easier to find stuff now and the menus are a lot better about explaining the different icons and what they mean on the weapons/armor info screens.  Anyways, I'll stop here so as to avoid writing a book but I am having a great experience so far.

Anyways, I'm trying not to write a book here but its been amazing so far and I can't wait to jump back into it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, March 13, 2014, 05:05:38 AM »
Awesome! Sounds like some general improvements overall. How would you say the environments are comparing to Demon's/DS?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, March 13, 2014, 05:17:23 AM »
I rerolled a new toon and started over last night.  I basically found all the hidden stuff and then proceeded to finally kill an ogre.  I had initially rolled a swordsman to check out dual wield, but I wasn't happy with it.  Feel like it leaves you too vunerable.  Finally got into the main hub area and almost died to a gang of pigs.  Yes, pigs.  Farm animals.

Tooled around investigating a few ruins and stuff before hitting the sack.  Finally starting to get the timing of parry down. 

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, March 13, 2014, 09:44:56 PM »
Awesome! Sounds like some general improvements overall. How would you say the environments are comparing to Demon's/DS?

There is a mix of both games in there as far as enviroments go. One of the areas I just cleared out was like a bigger, creepier Tower of Latria from Demon's Souls.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #64 on: Thursday, March 20, 2014, 04:40:43 PM »

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 10:37:34 AM »
I had the opportunity the past two nights to spend a decent block of time with the game.  Initially I was very put off by the HP penalty upon death.  I had to use a few effigies early on and I felt like the game was punishing me for experimenting.  There's a ring that reduces this penalty to a max of 25% health instead of 50, which helps out tremendously. 

I've used the torch mechanic a few times now.  So far it feels very tacked on.  Most of the time I probably won't bother with it unless I'm forced to. 

I enjoy the varying settings, but it feels less cohesive than the first game.  the environments believably blended with each other in the first game, but here I don't really get that vibe. 

I've played long enough to where I can say it feels like more of the same with some tweaks.  And I mean that in the best way possible. 

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 01:15:26 PM »
I heard that if you clear out an area 10 times, the monsters no longer respawn which at first I thought was bullshit, then realized it prevents farming too much which sounds fair. Also I don't think there was rarely any areas I cleared out that many times in Dark Souls, with the exception of when I actually farmed shit in the depths and the painted world.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, March 25, 2014, 09:05:39 PM »
I've had some enemies disappear on me.  I think it's related to the number of times you kill a specific enemy, not clearing out an area.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #68 on: Friday, March 28, 2014, 07:40:22 AM »
Having a TON of trouble with the boss(es) in Lost Bastille.  my first brick wall of the game, for sure.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, April 02, 2014, 01:27:12 AM »
Well, I beat the game this evening.  PRAISE THE SUN!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 02:41:54 PM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, April 08, 2014, 11:01:33 PM »
I have been assigned this for review next month. I do two reviews every month so this is one for May. I skipped the first Dark Souls. Let's see.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, April 22, 2014, 12:56:46 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #74 on: Thursday, April 24, 2014, 02:35:42 PM »
PC Gamer -> Durante mods-up Dark Souls 2 PC
He has a program he created called GeDoSaTo.
His plan: to allow this program to work w/ ANY 3D game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Dark Souls II -> Update: Durante's new mod GeDoSaTo released.
« Reply #75 on: Monday, April 28, 2014, 03:57:21 PM »
Eurogamer -> Kadokawa buys From Software

From Software, developer of Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, has been bought out by Japanese publisher Kadokawa.

Kadokawa will acquire 80 per cent of From Software stock, Siliconera reported, in a deal to be finalised on 21st May. There's no word yet on how much money changed hands.

The Kadokawa group, meanwhile, comprises a number of publishing companies that deal with games, films, books and magazines. The firm has previously published several Suda51 titles (such as Lollipop Chainsaw), but is also now focusing on development of its own titles, such as PS3, PS4 and Vita strategy game Natural Doctrine.

The two companies will both benefit from the buyout, From Software boss Naotoshi Zin stated, which will enhance game development.

"With a new system, from this point on, I believe we'll be able to make newer and more in depth games," he said.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #76 on: Monday, April 28, 2014, 04:57:52 PM »
I'm hoping it's a good thing. Kadokawa doesn't bring anything negative to mind.

Picked this up on sale and started playing on PC. Looks beautiful, runs like a dream. Great port. Happy with it.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, June 04, 2014, 11:12:15 AM »
Some Dark Souls 2 DLC is on the way this summer!

The DLC is going to have 3 parts at $10 each or can be bought as a pack for $25 and is called The Lost Crowns.  They are coming out on July 22nd, August 26th, and September 24th.  Looks pretty neat and will give me more incentive to play through the game again!

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #78 on: Sunday, June 08, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »
I'm playing Dark Souls now, I really don't understand the love for this game, its popularity blows my mind. It makes me wonder if people actually like this game or just say they do because if they don't, they're pussies or not hardcore gamers.

I love a hard game as much as the next person, but this game is just cheap and unfair. I usually die because the camera fucks up and I can't see, I can't see around a corner until its too late and I'm dead or I'm in a tight hallway and can't even swing my fucking sword. I'm starting to remember why I put this game away in the first place.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #79 on: Sunday, June 08, 2014, 08:36:58 PM »
Step 1: Get Zweihander
Step 420: Blaze it
And finally... GIANTDAD

GET GOOD SCRUB