Author Topic: Quantum Conundrum  (Read 1705 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Quantum Conundrum
« on: Monday, February 04, 2013, 01:13:16 AM »
I don't know if anyone's played this, but it's essentially a Portal clone...but a really good one (and no, no portals involved).

It's a First Person Puzzle-Platformer (yay, capitalization) broken into rough rooms like Portal. The catch is that instead of using portals, you have a mechanism to change "dimensions".  There's a heavy dimension, a soft dimension, a slow dimension, and another that I totally can't remember right now. Each is mapped to a button and switching into that dimension changes the physical properties and mechanics of the room around you until you switch out.

So, you may need to switch to the soft dimension to grab a safe you wouldn't otherwise be able to pick up, throw it, switch the slow dimension on, jump over a river of floating couches (what?) catch it, throw it again but in a different direction, and turn it heavy so that it can become more dense and pass through a laser wall. 

I've actually been having a ton of fun with it, and can't really agree with the main complaint against the game - too many platform puzzles - but that may be because I'm playing on a gamepad and the jumps really aren't that hard.  Anyways, if you can grab it on sale it's a pretty good time killer.

Offline Schlotzky5

Re: Quantum Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, February 09, 2013, 10:28:51 PM »
This game was great. I picked it up during the fall steam sale and dropped everything else I was playing until I beat it.

I also disagree with the 'too much platforming' complaint. Its much more than that, because you're almost always building/modifying the platforms as you go. I played with mouse/kb and it was no big deal.

While the game does have a portal type feel and polish, I think its difficult to call it a portal clone because the mechanics are so radically different. Maybe it's that it causes you to think about physics in an unconventional way. Instead of 'thinking with portals' it's 'thinking with dimensions'.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 07:25:56 AM »
Hmm.  I tried the demo for this on the Xbox, and while I found the premise interesting, some of the problems I had (platforming) sort of left me cold.  After the good impressions I see here, I wonder if I gave it a fair shot.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, March 14, 2013, 11:40:55 PM »
I just jumped into it again after falling off and I can kind of see where people are coming from to an extent. The platforming isn't difficult, but there is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to having to do these timed jumps/whatever in a first person enviroment.  Jumping back into the late game cold was a bit problematic for a bit, but once I got used to it again it was all good.

The thing is that the design is done so that the platforming isn't really the focus. Like, completing a crazy jump is more of a case of figuring out what you need to do with the puzzle mechanics to make that jump work rather than the actual timing and reflexes. 

That said, if you're hesitant, it may be best to wait until there's a sale or something, but I feel it's equally as good of a puzzle game as Portal.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, March 01, 2018, 08:55:31 PM »
This is a dollar on Steam right now.  Just go and buy it.  And then play it