Author Topic: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt  (Read 52940 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re:
« Reply #120 on: Monday, June 15, 2015, 11:24:27 PM »
I wasn't fucking around when I said the game is too big.  I have to leave some quests behind here or this might be the  only game I play this year. I've really never run across anything with so much content that also seems worthwhile.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re:
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 05:13:12 AM »
I wasn't fucking around when I said the game is too big.  I have to leave some quests behind here or this might be the  only game I play this year. I've really never run across anything with so much content that also seems worthwhile.

That will make it 2 back-to-back for me, then.  DA Inquisition has a ridiculous amount of content as well.  Then there's Fallout 4 behind that.  No shortage of huge open worlds this year.  There aren't enough hours in the day, even for someone who owns nearly all of them.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
« Reply #122 on: Sunday, June 21, 2015, 09:16:16 PM »
I'm finding the trick to this game is that you don't have to do everything in one go, so don't even try.  I'm pretty much ditching any side quests I don't stumble across or get given form doing the main story.  I mean, that makes it sound like I'm not doing any at all, but there's still a metric shit ton of side quests there, it just really cuts down on "Oh, I should go do this race, oh you need to me kill who?  Oh yeah, I can get that for you.  Shit, I never actually finished that race".  With this new mentality I expect to maybe finish before 100 hours.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: Friday, July 10, 2015, 12:31:18 AM »
Finished it - 90 hours.   I can't believe I spent that much so I must have left it idling in the background a few times (I actually know I did this but most of been for longer than I though) but still, amazing game.  Even if it's 70 hours it is unheard of that I'd put aside that kind of time for a game these days, let alone still want to play more after I'm done.   And I really do - I have a bunch of content left and will probably chip away at it here and there.   Hands down the best of the series and an amazing game all around.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #124 on: Friday, July 10, 2015, 03:59:13 AM »
In case some of y'all are curious of performance on my rig (i7 950 @ 3.02 Ghz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 4 GB VRAM  GeForce GTX 960, Win 7 64-bit), since the 4GB VRAM 960 upgrade...
At 1080p, I can crank this up to Ultra on most things & it goes around 25-30 frames per second, when exploring the open world.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #126 on: Saturday, July 18, 2015, 12:08:34 PM »
It's in! It's a 5.1GB download.

Got some performance improvement overall. The inventory is a lot more organized. The stash is finally available so I can take a load off.

I checked out the alternative movement option for Geralt. It's basically an option to make the character movement more responsive to the controller. I have not tested how it affects KB movement though.

Overall, this is a great update.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #127 on: Saturday, July 18, 2015, 04:46:05 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #128 on: Sunday, July 19, 2015, 03:25:05 AM »
Free DLC #14 got released, as well:
https://www.gog.com/news/free_dlc_14_patch_107_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt

Not yet.. It's still not showing in the 16 Free DLC Bundle but it should be at some point this week.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #129 on: Sunday, July 19, 2015, 05:51:53 AM »
Not yet.. It's still not showing in the 16 Free DLC Bundle but it should be at some point this week.

Wait.
It says in the article Alternative outfit for Ciri is new.

Did I miss the boat or something?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #130 on: Sunday, July 19, 2015, 08:52:56 AM »
Wait.
It says in the article Alternative outfit for Ciri is new.

Did I miss the boat or something?

It says it's the free DLC (#14) which will be available this week.

Patch v1.07 is out (released yesterday). The Alternative outfit for Ciri is on its way this week.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #131 on: Tuesday, July 21, 2015, 06:42:44 PM »
OK, got it (Xbox One)!  Waited till 1.07, which came down the pipe already rolled into the game.  Immediately went to Alternative Movement, and it seems very natural with a controller.  Game is beautiful, but it's taking me a while to feel comfortable with the control scheme after months in DA: Inquisition.  Combat is going to frustrate me for some time.  The strategy is very different, and coordinating blocking/parrying with evades and attacks is not coming together just yet.  Playing on normal/standard difficulty, and I'm going to resist restarting on Easy.

Technically, it's a big step up from DA: I.  A big part of that are the load times, which are much better than I expected.  They are just about inconsequential except when reloading from a save file.  The streaming is nearly flawless so far.  Day/night cycle looks terrific.  Horse behavior is every bit as good as DAI's, and does it one better on the galloping--which is a PITA to maintain  in the DA game.

I've been playing since mid-day (and it's now after 9 PM), and I've barely scratched the surface.  So much is unfamiliar.  I could never get into the 2nd game, and I never had access to the 1st.  I have a feeling the assumption is that the user has some familiarity with the past games.  That's just not the case here.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #132 on: Wednesday, July 22, 2015, 09:23:23 AM »
VG247 -> Shani's picture is showing up for Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone expansion on the Steam Store.
Looks like she's going to probably have a part in the 2nd W3 expansion/DLC.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #133 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 10:12:22 AM »
OMG.

Final Free DLC for W3 will be New Game + Mode:
https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/625712013235191808/photo/1

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: Monday, July 27, 2015, 11:52:48 AM »
Cool!  Let's hope they do it well.

Man, what a spectacular game.  Now that I've figured out Quen and how not to suck at combat, I don't feel held back anymore.  So well done in all respects.  I'll post more at a later time.  Just chiming in with a smile.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2015, 04:44:27 PM »
More info on upcoming NG+ DLC for W3:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/45519-New-Game-is-coming-it-seems?p=1866418&viewfull=1#post1866418

Regarding some of the questions that appeared since yesterday, here are the answers.

Enemies will be stronger, obviously.

What carries over?
Player experience (if you're below level 30 when finishing the vanilla game, you will be bumped to level 30 for the start of NG+), items (excluding: quest items, books & letters, Gwent cards, usable items, trophies), money and alchemy recipes.

When starting New Game Plus you can select any difficulty level.

You can obtain the Death Match achievement when playing the NG+ mode.

What's the starting level of the character when beginning NG+?
The same that you had when finishing the game, if above 30, otherwise you start at level 30. You also get a free Clearing Potion at the start so you can reset your skills and try a different build.

Offline ender

« Reply #136 on: Monday, August 31, 2015, 07:26:25 AM »
I beat it last night! What an amazing game. Loved the characters and was so sad to see them go.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
« Reply #137 on: Monday, September 07, 2015, 07:49:54 PM »
I beat it last night! What an amazing game. Loved the characters and was so sad to see them go.
Yeah, I felt the same way

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #139 on: Thursday, September 10, 2015, 05:20:59 AM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #140 on: Thursday, September 10, 2015, 07:06:21 AM »
Finished it now.  Awesome for the most part.  It's got a layer of grunge, though, that needs cleaning and polishing.  Lots of small frustrations that added up over time.  Little bugs and poor behaviors everywhere--no major stuff like crashes or bad saves.  Improving the controls and how Geralt/Roach respond to them would go a long way in enhancing the experience.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #141 on: Friday, October 09, 2015, 01:18:08 PM »
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone (DLC/expansion)
REVIEWS:

Metacritic:
PC.
X1.
PS4.

Scored out of 10:
GameSpot -> 9
IGN -> 9.0
Shacknews -> 8

Scored out of 5:
GamesRadar -> 4 1/2 stars.

No score:
Kotaku.
« Last Edit: Friday, October 16, 2015, 03:01:44 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #142 on: Friday, October 09, 2015, 01:42:33 PM »
Nice!

By the way, Patch 1.10 is out with a huge load of fixes (6.4GB download). However, the Steam version apparently broke Newgame+ saves for people, myself included. When I loaded it up Geralt was down to his skivvies and all my crafted and legendary gear was gone. I loaded a normal game save (not Newgame+) and everything is working fine.

I still have my old save from v1.08, so no worries there. I'm gonna wait for a fix from CDProjekt RED before I get back into The Witcher 3.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #143 on: Friday, October 09, 2015, 01:52:20 PM »
GOG patch for this was 10GB from web-browser. And it was borked - it was corrupt. What a waste. Wouldn't update properly.

Had to boot-up GOG Galaxy and it did a 17GB patch-job to get it properly updated.

WTH?!?!?
They need to get their file integrity intact - this happens all too often w/ their files. I've had this happen before from GOG w/ Witcher 2, Grimrock, and Outcast.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #144 on: Friday, October 09, 2015, 01:56:35 PM »
Good news, there's a ~314MB update downloading in Steam. Let's hope it's a fix for the NG+ issue.

I just checked and the Update 1.10 changelog is 5 pages long! Wow!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #145 on: Friday, October 09, 2015, 01:57:16 PM »
Good news, there's a ~314MB update downloading in Steam. Let's hope it's a fix for the NG+ issue.

I just checked and the Update 1.10 changelog is 5 pages long! Wow!

Yeah, this patch is no damn joke. Over 600 things of fixes, patches, additions, features, and whatnot supposedly.

EDIT:
Yeah, 5 pages worth of web-pages Steam; but supposedly it's 13 pages of stuff in the PDF.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: Friday, October 09, 2015, 04:10:24 PM »
There are issues galore with 1.10.  Got the update today, and immediately lost my Skellige horse gear.  That means I lost 100 lbs of carrying capacity, and I was overburdened.  Fortunately, I had Zerrikanian (sp?) saddlebags in my nearby stash.  So I went looking online, and found this alarming Reddit thread.  It looks like one major culprit is that some of the free DLC has yet to be patched to 1.10, so it bugs out.  Anyway, too late for me.  You PC players may consider rolling back or avoiding the update until it's fixed.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #147 on: Friday, October 09, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »
There are issues galore with 1.10.  Got the update today, and immediately lost my Skellige horse gear.  That means I lost 100 lbs of carrying capacity, and I was overburdened.  Fortunately, I had Zerrikanian (sp?) saddlebags in my nearby stash.  So I went looking online, and found this alarming Reddit thread.  It looks like one major culprit is that some of the free DLC has yet to be patched to 1.10, so it bugs out.  Anyway, too late for me.  You PC players may consider rolling back or avoiding the update until it's fixed.

I'm playing PC version from GOG, of course.

I had to also re-download all the DLC's. They weren't showing them all, after update. Only 12 of the 16.
At least now, they aren't all separate. Now, it's all one big 500GB Free-DLC pack.
That solved it, and I was back to having all 16 showing.

I ain't played much of W3, so I do wonder if it'd be in my best interest to start over, whenever I do decide to play seriously. I basically before was only playing to test + benchmark the game on my rig before + after 4GB 960 video card.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #148 on: Friday, October 09, 2015, 10:37:28 PM »
I'm playing PC version from GOG, of course.

I had to also re-download all the DLC's. They weren't showing them all, after update. Only 12 of the 16.
At least now, they aren't all separate. Now, it's all one big 500GB Free-DLC pack.
That solved it, and I was back to having all 16 showing.

I ain't played much of W3, so I do wonder if it'd be in my best interest to start over, whenever I do decide to play seriously. I basically before was only playing to test + benchmark the game on my rig before + after 4GB 960 video card.

Did you finish the first area?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #149 on: Saturday, October 10, 2015, 12:08:24 AM »
The ~314MB download that followed instantly fixed all the issues.

The one catch is that if you had saved before after the fix then you've lost the stuff for good. You have to load a previous save (prior to v1.10) so that it registers everything correctly.
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 10, 2015, 12:20:34 PM by Xessive »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #150 on: Saturday, October 10, 2015, 03:15:17 AM »
Yeah, PC players get instant updates to update fuckups.  We console peasants need to wait.

I'm hanging on to a couple of pre-1.10 Game-Plus saves, but it's really no big deal if the horse stuff is the only permanent casualty.  I have way more money than I can spend, and I'll just re-buy it all when they find their way back to competence.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #151 on: Saturday, October 10, 2015, 06:21:15 AM »
The ~314MB download that followed instantly fixed all the issues.

The one catch is that if you had saved before the fix then you've lost the stuff for good. You have to load a previous save (rior to v1.10) so that it registers everything correctly.

I haven't tested-out any (old) saves w/ 1.10. All I did was update everything. That's it.
I barely even really done anything in the game-world, once the game opens you up into the world. Just basically rode around and maybe did a quest or two, just to benchmark the game.

Offline ender

« Reply #152 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2015, 08:53:26 AM »
Loaded up Hearts of Stone and played for about 15 minutes before I had to leave for work.... need to get back home and play :(

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #153 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2015, 01:32:39 PM »
I am so psyched for this but unfortunately starting NG+ has kinda screwed me over.

In the base game, you need to be level 32 to start the Hearts of Stone quest; in NG+ you have to be level 62 to start. I'm at level 40 now, so it's a long way before I can get into it. I did manage to find an old save where my character was level 36 but that would mean 1) going back to the base game and ignoring my current progress 2) losing my new sick gear!

I think I'm gonna have to suck tit up and wait till I get to level 62. Though to be honest, I am kinda regretting selecting Death March difficulty on NG+. It is really punishing :P A basic drowner can slash my health in half with a single hit!

Offline ender

« Reply #154 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2015, 07:56:45 PM »
Oh damn, I am on a NG+ as well but had my save from the original end game. Level 62 will be a breeze I expect!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #155 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2015, 08:29:32 PM »
Meanwhile, in Consoleland, the DLCs that need bumps to 1.10 are still dragging the whole game down.

Offline ender

« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2015, 08:09:19 AM »
I'm on a PS4. I haven't really noticed anything being dragged down? Though I only got to play for an hour last night before I fell asleep.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2015, 10:20:24 AM »
Bet all the money in my pocket that you weren't using Skellige horse gear (gone for me), or Wolf armor (gone for whoever was using it--luckily, not me), or a custom beard/haircut.  :)  The problem is that several of the DLCs don't work with 1.10.  They have to be patched separately, but haven't been.  These are all the problems I've had, but others have reported much worse.  It bugs me that they released this update knowing that it was going to break some stuff, so that their paid DLC didn't get delayed.

I've also read that the PS4 got the best performance improvements out of this patch, so I'm sure you're otherwise a happy guy with it.

Offline ender

« Reply #158 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2015, 04:00:55 PM »
I have Skellige horse gear... but none of the others. Well that sucks!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2015, 06:52:47 PM »
Zerrikanian has the same stats.  You can get the saddlebags from the smith at Kaer Trolde (100 lbs extra weight capacity--the most important piece), and I think a decent cavalry saddle and some sort of blinders.  I made do with that until I found the rest of the Zerrikanian gear.