Author Topic: The Evil Within, new horror game from Resident Evil creator  (Read 5818 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
The Evil Within, new horror game from Resident Evil creator
« on: Friday, April 19, 2013, 12:47:44 PM »
Infos and screens!

-The game stars a man named Sebastian and his partner, who go to investigate the scene of a mass murder, but where a mysterious force is at work. Sebastian watches as more and more of the police force get killed before his eyes, and is attacked and knocked out. When he comes too, he must fight a world where monsters roam free and death and insanity live side-by-side. He will face unimaginable horrors where he must fight for his own survival. To discover the truth behind the force that lurks here, Sebastian must embark on a journey brimming with horror.

-Uses the ID Tech 5. They say they are taking the engine a step further than it has ever been used and are utilizing a state-of-the-art lighting engine and a much more powered-up version of the engine than any game to date has used.

-Game is trying to strike a balance between horror and action, but in the sense that one should be desperately struggling to survive and facing scenarios of unimaginable horror. They say they want to redefine horror, and seem to be going for a more difficult and intense experience.

-The game promises to have limited resources and be full of puzzles and traps. They want to fill the player with anguish, tension, and anxiety and send them off the deep end.

-They make a focus that enemies can easily kill the player, you’ll have to be cunning and evasive to survive in these harsh conditions. You also can utilize traps enemies set-up for you on them instead.

-It seems the player can experience random distortions that can happen in any area at any time, which changes anything from enemies, doors, walls, objects, or the like into terrifying nightmares that our character sees. These are random and change in real-time as well, it seems.

-They finish off saying that they want the game to start strong and continue with a growing feel of insecurity to grow as the game goes on. They also mention the game will have an in-depth world, and that you’re being hunted by something mysterious and dark.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: The Evil Within, new horror game from Resident Evil creator
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 19, 2013, 01:12:56 PM »
Safe-head? Is that the creator's response to Silent Hill's Pyramid-head? :P

Could be interesting. Will have to wait to see a lot more.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #2 on: Friday, April 19, 2013, 01:40:13 PM »
No dragons?

Anyway, I really dislike live action trailers/previews/whatever for video games. That is all.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 25, 2014, 03:38:39 PM »
The Evil Within PC version's system requirements recommend 4 GB of VRAM:
http://www.bethblog.com/2014/09/25/the-system-requirements-within/

Note:
We do not have a list of minimum requirements for the game.
If you’re trying to play with a rig with settings below these requirements (you should plan to have 4 GBs of VRAM regardless), we cannot guarantee optimal performance.

Recommended PC System Specifications
64-bit Windows 7/Windows 8
i7 with four plus cores
4 GBs RAM
50 GB of hard drive space*
GeForce GTX 670 or equivalent with 4GBs of VRAM
High Speed Internet Connection
Steam account and activation
*It’s worth noting that the 50 GB of space required is for the PC install. When the installation is complete, the game will take up ~41 GB of HDD space.

Speaking of space (and by your request), here are the install sizes for the console versions of the game.
Xbox One — 40 GB HDD Space
PlayStation 4 — 40 GB HDD Space
PlayStation 3 — 7 GB HDD Space
Xbox 360 — 7 GB
Note: The Evil Within requires a mandatory install to the Xbox 360’s HDD or a USB 2.0 (or higher) flash drive.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, October 03, 2014, 04:38:10 PM »
BethBlog -> The Evil Within: PC Version's Minimum Requirements revealed

Minimum requirements for The Evil Within can now be found below.
You won’t be experiencing the game at 1080p and you’ll likely need to turn off some features, but you will still be able to have a great experience with the game..

Minimum Requirements

GPU: GTX 460 or an equivalent 1gb VRAM card

CPU: i7 or an equivalent 4+ core processor

RAM: 4gb

HDD: 50gb

If you meet the recommended specs, you’re in for the ideal experience.
The game looks amazing with full-screen anti-aliasing, full shadow quality, motion blur, tessellation, SSAO, and 1080p visuals.

PC users can pre-order The Evil Within today on Steam — where we’ve updated the game page to account for both the minimum and recommended system requirements, or your favorite digital or physical reseller.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, October 16, 2014, 03:39:31 PM »
Eurogamer - Digital Foundry -> "Is it possible to run The Evil Within on PC at a locked 1080p60?"
In short: NO.

Bethesda has given PC users the tools to unlock The Evil Within's built-in 30fps cap, but we couldn't help but wonder - just how much computational power is required to double the game's frame-rate and produce a sustained, consistent 60fps experience at 1080p? It turns out that our PC test rig - fitted with a Core i7 3770K overclocked to 4.3GHz and matched with 16GB of DDR3 - couldn't handle it, not even when outfitted with the GeForce GTX 980, the fastest single-chip graphics card available on the market today.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 05:02:08 AM »
Eurogamer - Digital Foundry -> "Is it possible to run The Evil Within on PC at a locked 1080p60?"
In short: NO.

Bogus.

I have a GeForce 780M with 4GB VRAM and with console commands I was able to run the game at 1080p locked @ 60fps with SMAA on the highest settings, easily clocking out at the full 60fps. I used a console command to unlock the framerate completely and while I could easily get over 60fps the game did have some screen tearing and animation quirks. It's is not particularly taxing on the average system.

The bigger issue is the FOV and the aspect ratio. The UI actually uses the full screen, but the game screen has been given a cinematic style 2.35:1 ratio, supposedly to make it "truly cinematic." The problem is that the FOV is so damn close that the character is eating up a good chunk of the screen, so you don't really get to enjoy the wide angle of the cinematic aspect ratio. Bethesda released a bunch of debug console commands here including a supposed fix for the aspect ratio, which will allow you make the game full screen (while it is not recommended). The problem is this fix does not simply remove or expand the black bars, it just zooms in. So instead of getting more screen space you're actually a lot less. Couple that with the extra huge protagonist covering the screen and it's not a pleasant experience, ironically.

Shinji Mikami has been notorious for making his games challenging by obstructing the player rather than actually giving the game interesting dynamics. Resident Evil 4 retained the terrible tank-controls of its predecessors and when Capcom brought it to PC Mikami refused to allow mouse aiming, stating the reason that it would make the game too easy. If having proper controls makes the game too easy the flaw is not in the controls it's in the game design. Equally, it looks like he's insisting that the terrible camera and extremely limited FOV is what makes this game challenging. It is certainly a challenge but not the one I look for when I'm playing a survival horror game.

Anyway, stupid game quirks aside, The Evil Within is certainly a great survival horror experience. Check it out when you get a chance.

I'm going to keep experimenting with tools like Flawless Widescreen to fix this FOV/Aspect Ratio bullcrap.

Update:
The Flawless Widescreen app (http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/) does indeed a fix a good chunk of the aspect ratio problems. It effectively removes the black bars and retains the FOV. It also has an FOV slider in case you're not happy with the default FOV, so yay!
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 05:22:21 AM by Xessive »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Monday, October 20, 2014, 05:23:19 AM »
@Xessive

Hmmm, curious - was the over 60 frames w/ VSync On or Off?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #9 on: Monday, October 20, 2014, 06:30:13 AM »
Vsync off. It was kinda quirky but still ran relatively well.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Monday, October 20, 2014, 06:54:38 AM »
I've heard numerous accounts of modest PCs running this fairly well.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Monday, November 30, 2015, 02:57:41 AM »
Wow. So this is a massive thread resurrection.

I didn't even remember seeing that trailer, but watching it again is pretty funny. It's actually much more entertaining having forgotten about it, played the game, and then watching it again. It's kinda neat to see a live action representation of the stuff I've been seeing.

So was this really the only thread about the game here? Like no discussion of the game at all. Weird.

Anyway, I finally got around to getting this on sale. When it first was announced and when it came out, I wasn't really interested. I did enjoy Resident Evil 4 a lot when it was first released, but I never had the reverence for it that some do, and I definitely don't think the game or its mechanics have aged especially well. And the plot, some of the characters (I'm looking at you, Evil Napoleonic Dwarf who talks like a Saturday morning cartoon villain), and actual scariness weren't high points.

Long story short, I somehow became sort of loosely obsessed with the game. I watched some 実況プレイ (let's plays) in Japanese on YouTube up to a few chapters in, and was really intrigued. I liked the atmosphere and the crazy back and forth between very different environments. Was impressed by how hard they leaned on the gore, which normally doesn't do it for me, but the game looks extremely good at that stuff is just ... gross. In a heady way.

But I never grabbed the game because it never got cheap enough. I'd been looking at potentially importing the Japanese version, but it was just too pricey. Enter the Steam sale, in which I got the game and DLC for under $20. No Japanese support, but you can't win em all.

Turns out it's a good thing I'm playing in English, as the plot has really been a driving force to keep me going. I think the gameplay is above average too, but it's trying to piece together the disparate events of the plot to determine what the real story is that's keeping me going. I've been led to believe the ending is a disappointment, but everything's been great so far, at least.

No surprise that a game so revered as RE4 created a mass of angry Internet nerds when the creator went on to make something slightly different, but this game is nicely modernized while still showing a whole lot of RE4 as inspiration. Plenty of idiots can't see that, blinded by nostalgia, but this is a very similar game in a lot of ways. Just way less dated.

Anyway, it looks beautiful, plays nice, has great atmosphere, a compelling plot, and really fucks with your expectations. It's not just jump scares by any means, or just shock and gore. Those things are there, but working in concert with a compelling psychological horror base and a great presentation which in turn work together to really mess with the player sometimes.

About 10 hours in. Still have a good ways to go. Quality stuff so far ... really into it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Monday, November 30, 2015, 05:03:54 AM »
@Que

I certainly liked what I played of TEW. It's quite good.
If you have the PC - and certainly, you sure do now ;) - yeah, the game's gorgeous at higher settings. :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, April 16, 2020, 03:42:37 PM »
The Evil Within series joins GOG and goes DRM-FREE:
https://www.gog.com/news/the_evil_within_join_shinji_mikami_on_his_horror_journey

Up to 75% off at TEW games, DLC's, etc:
https://www.gog.com/promo/promo_launch_evil_within

TEW1 (base) = $4.99
TEW1: Season Pass = $3.99
TEW1 Bundle (TEW1 base-game & Season Pass) = $9.99

TEW2 = $9.99