Author Topic: Quantum Break -> Update: QB PC Steam w/ 33% perf. gains on NVidia (Reply 42)  (Read 10431 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 01, 2016, 06:23:37 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Quantum Break (from Remedy)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, August 13, 2015, 02:01:10 PM »
EGMNow -> Phil Spencer (of Microsoft) says Quantum Break, Crackdown 3, & Scalebound could all eventually come to Windows.

“In the case of things like Scalebound or Crackdown or Quantum Break, you know, just to be completely honest with you, we started those games before we really looked at expanding into Windows in the way that I wanted to bring as part of becoming head of Xbox,” Spencer said. “Going to those teams mid-cycle and saying: ‘Hey, by the way, I want to add a platform,’ didn’t really feel like necessarily the best way to end up with the best result for the game. They had a path that they were on.”

The issue seems to be one of choosing quality over quantity. Though he wants to build Microsoft’s Windows games portfolio, some games, Spencer explained, just work better on system or the other. Therefore, the games Microsoft brings to the PC must be chosen with care.

“We’re making slow progress on [bringing Xbox games to Windows]. But slow in a way that I think is good, because we’re being deliberate about the games that we’re deciding and mak[ing] sure we have a real plan,” Spencer explained.

For Scalebound, Crackdown, and Quantum Break, Spencer emphasized that Microsoft’s primary goal is to make sure that the games are as good as they can possibly be on console first, without having to worry about the PC.

“It’s not to say those games could never come to Windows, but right now we’re on the path to finish the great games that they’ve started, and I want that to be the case,” he said.

Microsoft has already announced plans to bring other games to the PC, including Fable Legends, Halo Wars 2, and Gears of War Ultimate Edition. While there’s no specific release plan for Fable Legends, Microsoft has confirmed that the PC edition. Gears of War will only launch after the console version, which could set a precedent for other games to follow.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Quantum Break (from Remedy)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 11, 2016, 04:52:55 PM »
PC Gamer -> Quantum Break coming to PC, Windows 10 exclusive, and recommends a beast of a PC.

Minimum:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460, 2.70GHz or AMD FX-6300
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 or AMD Radeon R7 260x
RAM: 8 GB
VRAM: 2 GB
HDD: 55 GB available space
DX: DirectX 12

Recommended
Ultra:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790, 4GHz or AMD equivalent
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 980 Ti or AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
RAM: 16 GB
VRAM: 6 GB

EDIT:
PC Requirements updated.
Recommended specs listed above got moved over to Ultra; new Recommended specs up.

Recommended:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690, 3.9GHz or AMD equivalent
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 970 or AMD Radeon R9 390
RAM: 16 GB
VRAM: 4 GB
« Last Edit: Friday, February 12, 2016, 04:57:59 AM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Quantum Break (from Remedy) -> Update: PC version coming, requires Win 10
« Reply #5 on: Monday, February 15, 2016, 12:58:14 PM »
Prepare for Quantum Break PC to be a miserable failure in sales. Fucking Windows Store is broken as shiiiiiit, I have had nothing but completely miserable experiences with that pile of garbage. Makes Steam look like a masterwork by comparison.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Monday, February 15, 2016, 05:30:57 PM »
Win 10 OS exclusive for PC, Win 10 Store exclusive...yep, I smell a sales-failure coming.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Monday, February 15, 2016, 09:02:45 PM »
They seem to be treating the new Windows like another proprietary platform, a software-based one this time.  So games release simultaneously on Win10 and Xbox, and they're cross-playable.  Save progress goes into the "cloud", and a game can be continued on either platform interchangeably.

This was supposed to be an Xbox-exclusive game, and as far as I'm concerned, it still is, since console and PC exclusivity have always been separate concepts in the past.  Some people, though, are stupidly annoyed about the concurrent Win10 release.  I just don't get it.  The more outlets for the game, the better.  It's still a console exclusive.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 11:16:30 AM »
Apparently Microsoft have a learning disability. Remember when Halo 2 came to PC 2 years late as a Vista exclusive? Showing up late was not good, of course, but it wasn't the primary factor steering people clear of Halo 2 on PC.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 02:43:47 PM »
OK, but how does that apply here?  It was originally exclusive to Xbox; now the game will available on PC as well, and it can be cross-played.  They're expanding the reach.  More money for them, and more people will have it available.  The app store is their way of keeping full control over it on PC.  I'm sure that's going to honk off some people, but it's not taking away anything in this case.  The game was never going to come to Steam in the first place.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 04:29:12 PM »
Apparently Microsoft have a learning disability. Remember when Halo 2 came to PC 2 years late as a Vista exclusive? Showing up late was not good, of course, but it wasn't the primary factor steering people clear of Halo 2 on PC.

The ONLY time showing-up late is good on the PC is if the PC version comes w/ typical PC features (higher res support, better textures, more graphical options, etc) & also ALL DLC/Expansions included out-the-box.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, February 18, 2016, 07:16:30 AM »
OK, but how does that apply here?  It was originally exclusive to Xbox; now the game will available on PC as well, and it can be cross-played.  They're expanding the reach.  More money for them, and more people will have it available.  The app store is their way of keeping full control over it on PC.  I'm sure that's going to honk off some people, but it's not taking away anything in this case.  The game was never going to come to Steam in the first place.
I think the main issue is in the exclusivity to the OS as well as the Windows Store.

Thinking about it more, it's clear that Microsoft is primarily interested in pushing Windows 10, in sort of the same way they were attempting to push Vista. This time around they're pushing a lot harder. Microsoft have officially ended support for Windows 7 in 2015. They've ended support for Windows 8, urging people to upgrade to Windows 8.1 (which will end in 2018) or Windows 10.

It's evident that Microsoft are also trying to get the Gaming angle right. They fumbled with Games For Windows Live and they haven't been able to grasp PC Gaming since. This time around they're pushing the Xbox app, which is implemented in Windows 10, but they're centralizing the Windows Store as a one-stop-shop for all your Windows app needs.

The problem is, as mentioned in several other posts, the Windows Store is lacking to say the least. It blatantly imitates (poorly) rather than innovating on the prevailing "App store" formats.

Currently there are very few major PC titles on it like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Hand of Fate, and Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition. About 95% of the library are mobile/tablet games adapted for Windows Modern UI (Win 8 and Win10). No major attraction for the average PC gamer, let alone avid gamers.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, February 18, 2016, 08:46:27 AM »
Essential Windows 7 support (like security updates) continues into 2020, and some new PCs are still being sold with it, or can easily go back to it from Windows 8.  There's a rift between 7 and 8 that was never fully solved (by MS) for the mouse+KB crowd, and 10 brings its own set of unacceptable issues to some (like inability to prevent updates--aka self modification to suit Microsoft, not necessarily the user--and the focus on proprietary apps).  Win 7 remains the newest version which adheres fully to the original principles of openness and user control tailored for full PCs.

I'm with you in general.  But again, Microsoft-published games are a different animal altogether.  The way it looks to me is that they're extending the Xbox into the Windows-10 space.  Stuff that was originally slated only for Xbox crosses over with the same walled-garden rules, and is generally interchangeable with its counterpart on the console.  That doesn't bother me.  If they start trying to muscle out Steam, Origin, etc, and self-published titles that come outside of the app space, then it would piss me off.  (Technically, they can do it too, with unstoppable updates.)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, February 18, 2016, 09:08:56 AM »
Yeah, extended support for Windows 7 remains for Service Pack 1. Windows 7 Professional is still in sale but that's officially ending in October 2016. The Microsoft Windows Lifecycle sheet has more detail.

Windows 10 certainly has its issues, particularly for IT professionals looking to manage their clients, but from what I've read most (if not all) of the issues plaguing the mainstream edition of Win10 are not in the Enterprise edition, such as unstoppable updates etc.

I know that with some tweaking Win10 can function ideally, so I had no qualms installing it on my main rig.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, February 18, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
For my part, my comment was just that Windows 10 and the Windows Store are both kind of not great. I have no actual interest in the game at all. I understand Microsoft's agenda with this move, it just seems goofy because this game doesn't really seem that big. I've heard little to no hype anywhere. I don't think this has the clout to make people go, "Well I guess I better upgrade to Windows 10!"

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Friday, February 19, 2016, 11:01:08 AM »
The game has some uniqueness about it.  I don't know if it's just a gimmick, or will set any new trends for new high-budget titles.  Basically it intersperses full live-action sequences with game action sequences.  I don't know to what degree these will be blended together, how obvious the seams will be.  My guess is that the live-action episodes will take the form of extended cutscenes.  The cast is big-buck pro.  We'll see how it turns out.

I appreciate your feedback about the new Windows.  Let's hope the problems are just growing pains.

Yeah, extended support for Windows 7 remains for Service Pack 1. Windows 7 Professional is still in sale but that's officially ending in October 2016. The Microsoft Windows Lifecycle sheet has more detail.

Windows 10 certainly has its issues, particularly for IT professionals looking to manage their clients, but from what I've read most (if not all) of the issues plaguing the mainstream edition of Win10 are not in the Enterprise edition, such as unstoppable updates etc.

I know that with some tweaking Win10 can function ideally, so I had no qualms installing it on my main rig.

If I ever go Win10, I'll be seeking your experience.  The problem with the Enterprise version is its absence from every consumer PC I've looked at.  They always have the Home version.  That tells me that the vast majority of users will be giving up control over updates.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Friday, February 19, 2016, 11:50:23 AM »
I've been on Win10 since a week or two after launch and haven't had any issues, but I'm one of those people that just wants it to work. I don't really want to tinker much. I messed with the privacy settings, and don't mind the auto-updates. I even use my Microsoft account (XBL account) for my login, because it auto-logs me into apps, like the Xbox app. Win7 was a driver nightmare for me when doing a fresh install, and Win10 found them all for me.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Friday, February 19, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »
Windows 10 has a host of usability problems, and obviously the much-lamented forced updating and telemetry issues. Windows Store is a real POS, though. I've had numerous apps just stop working (only apps I've downloaded through the store), and this has apparently all been part of an issue that's existed since pre-launch Windows 8 that's not tied to the store. There is no fix. I've contacted developers about it and they have no idea what's happening, and I'm not alone in having the issue. I won't muck up this thread with a bunch of that stuff, but suffice it to say, Windows 10 has not been the smooth experience I was told it would be, and something being available only through the Windows Store is a guarantee that I won't buy it at this point.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Friday, February 19, 2016, 12:48:09 PM »
I've been on Win10 since a week or two after launch and haven't had any issues, but I'm one of those people that just wants it to work. I don't really want to tinker much. I messed with the privacy settings, and don't mind the auto-updates. I even use my Microsoft account (XBL account) for my login, because it auto-logs me into apps, like the Xbox app. Win7 was a driver nightmare for me when doing a fresh install, and Win10 found them all for me.

Yeah, Win7 hasn't been very good at finding drivers for me either.  I had to get them manually for both the HP printer and Epson scanner my mom had on her old PC when I got her a new PC (with Win7).  The system searched, but came back with an error.  This was at 2 very different times.  The printer's been working for a good year, but only recently did she want to use the scanner.

I'm all for ease of use and having it "just work".  I just don't want it to turn my PC into an extended Xbox.  It's fine to be behind a restrictive wall on a console, but not a PC.  Anyway, yeah, I'll stop hijacking the QB thread now too.  We can continue this discussion in a more suitable thread.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, February 28, 2016, 12:55:34 AM »
Yeah, Win7 hasn't been very good at finding drivers for me either.  I had to get them manually for both the HP printer and Epson scanner my mom had on her old PC when I got her a new PC (with Win7).  The system searched, but came back with an error.  This was at 2 very different times.  The printer's been working for a good year, but only recently did she want to use the scanner.

I'm all for ease of use and having it "just work".  I just don't want it to turn my PC into an extended Xbox.  It's fine to be behind a restrictive wall on a console, but not a PC.  Anyway, yeah, I'll stop hijacking the QB thread now too.  We can continue this discussion in a more suitable thread.

I'm sure there's some aspect I don't understand here but I have no idea why driver updates/searching never seems to fucking work in Windows.  It doesn't seem that complicated.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 06, 2016, 03:47:00 AM by MysterD »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, April 05, 2016, 05:49:44 PM »
The game has some uniqueness about it.  I don't know if it's just a gimmick, or will set any new trends for new high-budget titles.  Basically it intersperses full live-action sequences with game action sequences.  I don't know to what degree these will be blended together, how obvious the seams will be.  My guess is that the live-action episodes will take the form of extended cutscenes.  The cast is big-buck pro.  We'll see how it turns out.

I appreciate your feedback about the new Windows.  Let's hope the problems are just growing pains.

If I ever go Win10, I'll be seeking your experience.  The problem with the Enterprise version is its absence from every consumer PC I've looked at.  They always have the Home version.  That tells me that the vast majority of users will be giving up control over updates.

The Enterprise version of Windows has always been available only to Microsoft customers with an Enterprise Agreement.  Generally, you are talking about medium and large business only.  You'll never see it on a personal device, and if you do, it's probably an illegitimate version or otherwise in violation of a Microsoft Enterprise Agreement somewhere or the EULA itself.

As an InfoSec professional, I don't see the forced updating as anything but a good thing.  In general, people just cannot be trusted to install security patches and otherwise keep their machines secure.  Sure, there is a small (and very vocal, apparently) percentage of people that want to retain control of the updates for whatever reason, principal mostly.  For them, all I can say is that the only options available to you are to stay on Windows 7 or 8.1 or move to Mac OS X or a Linux distribution.  Be warned that there are rumors that Apple might move Mac OS X to an iOS-like release model and they are already very close in any case.

Edit: Just thought to add that I use Windows 8.1 at work and Mac OS X at home. But I have no problem with Windows 10, including the forced updating or telemetry.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 05, 2016, 06:21:25 PM by scottws »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, April 07, 2016, 04:16:56 PM »
Quantum Break PC Review:
PC Gamer -> 70 (out of 100).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Quantum Break
« Reply #25 on: Friday, April 08, 2016, 09:28:06 PM »
There's also the part where it seems like kind of a bad game. I've been trying to keep tabs on it and everything I've seen feels more or less like the definition of generic.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, April 10, 2016, 05:35:34 AM »
There's also the part where it seems like kind of a bad game. I've been trying to keep tabs on it and everything I've seen feels more or less like the definition of generic.

@Que

I don't know, bro - but I do think Remedy has a track record of making really good-to-great 3rd-person action shooters (Max Payne 1+2; and Alan Wake series).

I think the most interesting thing about Quantum Break is that this game is a mix of your shooter + TV series. This game has the usual Remedy 3rd-person shooter w/ the ambitious addition of the story told with real-live actors in 20-30 minute live-action TV-like episodes that are placed b/t the gameplay's chapters.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, April 10, 2016, 06:46:09 AM »
From the way the game turned out, I get the impression that Remedy started out really excited about their ideas but then lost steam about halfway through. Then by the final stages they just didn't care anymore but were contractually obligated to make a release happen; they were in too deep to scrap it and start over.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, April 10, 2016, 03:28:50 PM »
I've watched some of the TV stuff, and it's really bad. Not at all a TV show I would watch, and seems like all it really does is slow the game down. Don't get me wrong, I like Remedy and have enjoyed their past games for the most part, but this one just looks lame.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: Monday, April 11, 2016, 06:28:05 PM »
I mean, there's also the chance that the live action "TV show" aspect just isn't appealing to a lot of people.  The game could be amazing and the TV episodes top notch, and it would still turn me off.  I mean, when I'm playing a game I don't often feel like sitting through a 22 min cut scene, you know?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, April 14, 2016, 03:32:10 AM »
I mean, there's also the chance that the live action "TV show" aspect just isn't appealing to a lot of people.  The game could be amazing and the TV episodes top notch, and it would still turn me off.  I mean, when I'm playing a game I don't often feel like sitting through a 22 min cut scene, you know?
Totally agree. I remember that I completed Metal Gear Solid 2 prior to work one day and did not expect the 20+ minute cutscene at the end. The Solidus Snake boss fight was long and hard and I didn't want to have to repeat it to see the ending, so I sat it out.

I was really late to work that day.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 04:33:02 AM »
I don't like interminable cutscenes either, especially when we're forced to watch them.  There's an easy solution to that, but we see it so seldom:  Save them for later.  Allow skipping, and unlock them in a cutscenes list accessible from the front-end menu.  It would solve everything.  What I remember most about my limited experience with the MGS franchise is spending more time watching than playing.  That's not why I pick up a controller.

So how does QB handle the live-action interruptions to the game?  My interest in it is tepid, and I won't pay anywhere near what they're asking for it now.  User control over when to watch the episodes seems essential to me.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 09:02:07 AM »
I don't like interminable cutscenes either, especially when we're forced to watch them.  There's an easy solution to that, but we see it so seldom:  Save them for later. 

In recent years I've been doing this from time to time - if a cut scene pops up in a game and I have to go or just don't care, I'll skip it and watch on Youtube later.  It works.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 12:21:05 PM »
Yeah, well, there's always Youtube.  The functionality should be in the games, though.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #35 on: Monday, April 18, 2016, 07:09:40 AM »
I don't like interminable cutscenes either, especially when we're forced to watch them.  There's an easy solution to that, but we see it so seldom:  Save them for later.  Allow skipping, and unlock them in a cutscenes list accessible from the front-end menu.  It would solve everything.
Yep. I totally agree.  Some games do this but you're right; it's very rare.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, May 08, 2016, 06:38:06 PM »
Holy shit

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #38 on: Monday, May 09, 2016, 01:35:48 PM »
The fuck? What, did they have to rewrite the entire game?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 10, 2016, 03:22:24 PM by MysterD »