Author Topic: Rogue Legacy  (Read 1934 times)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Rogue Legacy
« on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 03:23:27 PM »
A little game came out this week called Rogue Legacy and it's pretty great. It's a Metroidvania where death leads to your character's heir going back to finish your quest. The trick is that each death leads to a choice between three randomly generated children and a rebuilt and rerandomized game world. What you take back after death is cash which you use to build your manor and, in that way, make the next generations stronger. This effectively just carries over the basic stats and equipment, but because of the rebuilt world and character generation each time feels a little different. You do gather new gear and abilities during each run but only the next generation will get to use then. In some respects it feels a bit like the Souls games because death is a very important part of the game and it happens constantly as a way to move things forward. It's also fairly tough; my family must breed like rabbits to replace all the kids I've killed. The game also just has a lot of charm and a nice look to carry the experience along.

I'd totally recommend it. There's a good sizable demo available on their site and I recommend trying it out. You can get the game on Steam, but if you buy directly from the website (Humble Store) you get a DRM free copy and a Steam key for convenience.
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 04:02:43 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Rogue Legacy
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 03:52:10 PM »
The In-N-Out Matrix from Serious Eats

You put the wrong link in, lol.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, June 29, 2013, 04:03:44 PM »
Wow. That was on my clipboard since last night. Alright. Link is fixed.

That Inn and Out matrix is also super special awesome. Anyone who can or will visit an Inn and Out should be aware of a few of those things.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 12:34:15 AM »
I picked this up in the GOG sale. Just beat the first boss, but it took quite a few generations to get there. At the start of the game everything feels so difficult that you think you will never make any progress, but somehow you do.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 05:45:02 AM »
Great game, I played this for a few hours a while ago. Wish I had more time to play it. It was tons of fun.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re:
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 05:11:05 PM »
Just came out on PS3/VITA (cross buy).   I'm hooked but I'm like 320 generations deep already (just killed second boss)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, July 31, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »
I think it's actually PS4/PS3/Vita cross-buy.

Sony is really doing it right with the cross-buy initiative!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re:
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, August 03, 2014, 08:38:39 PM »
Yeah, cross buy/cross save really is the shit