Author Topic: Jason Schreier on The Past, Present & Future of DIABLO  (Read 2295 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Jason Schreier on The Past, Present & Future of DIABLO
« on: Wednesday, November 21, 2018, 03:16:11 PM »
Kotaku - Jason Schreier on "The Past, Present, and Future of Diablo:"
https://kotaku.com/the-past-present-and-future-of-diablo-1830593195

- 11 anonymous sources, past and present, from Blizzard talked to Jason, over the years.
- Sources have given information about Diablo projects (cancelled, ongoing, etc); Activision; Blizzard; and whatnot.
- Around late 2013 to early 2014, Team 3 (the team behind Diablo) finished up Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls (which was beloved by fans, fixing a lot of D3 base's issues).
- Team 3 planned a 2nd expansion, but it was cancelled.
- Their bosses wanted Diablo 4 (Diablo IV).
- A lot of that team was not happy about this.
- Some of Team 3 was moved to another project w/ Blizzard, left the company, or stuck around to work on Diablo 4.
- One version of Diablo 4 being worked on was code-named Hades.
- Hades was an over-the-shoulder ARPG like that of Dark Souls (and not an isometric ARPG like D3).
- At some point, it was even thought they would not even brand this game as a Diablo game b/c it was not like Diablo in so many ways.
- Team 3 got split again; some moved on, some left, some stuck around.
- Team 3 that stuck around, they either worked on D3: Rise of the Necromancer DLC or a new project code-name Fenris.
- Fenris is, right now still, the current incarnation of Diablo 4 that is still in development.
- Fenris is also said to be very dark and a lot more like Diablo 2, in terms of the gothic and dark aspects of the art-work & characters.
- Plan for Fenris is not to be cartoony in any shape or fashion.
- Fenris is also said to have social and MMO aspects, such as strikes like Destiny 2 and instances like WoW.
- They were supposed to have a demo ready for D4 by May (2018), but didn't.
- Some of the development team said D4 was supposed to at the least be teased at BlizzCon, but that didn't happen.
- Developers not with D4's team said it was never planned for D4 at BlizzCon to be there in any form.
- One of the theories why it wasn't announced: b/c Titan MMO was announced and never released; and that specter still haunts them.
- Also, it doesn't help that StarCraft: Ghosts is another one that was announced and also never released.
- Some Blizzard vets wanted to so something different and/or were burnt out on doing big 7-10 year games, so they are at a new department called "Incubation."
- Wyatt Chang is one of those and is lead on Diablo: Immortal w/ NetEase.
- Diablo 3 was released in China as F2P and has made a killing in their market w/ MTX's.
- Some dev's have said that China really wants this game and that it's really built for them.
- Blizzard is looking to expand games globally across all markets now, which is why Diablo: Immortal is also coming to the West.
- Incubation is also working on a Warcraft-based Pokeman Go style mobile game.
- In Spring 2018, CFO Amrita Ahuja decided that they all needed to save money and cut costs for the first time in the company's history.
- In 2016, Overwatch was a smash hit (and was a major salvaging of some stuff from Titan, which costed Blizz and Acti a fortune)...
- ...But in 2018, weak performance from Destiny 2 & Blizzard not putting out much of anything new has caused all kinds of shake-ups in positions and intervening from Activision.
- Some Blizz dev's feel like w/ crossover characters in different games (not something Blizz normally does) and non-Acti games at Battle.Net, a lot of Activision & Blizz are getting closer and closer together.
- October 2018, Blizzard lost their Co-Founder Mike Morhaime (who was beloved, by the studio) and was replaced.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Jason Schreier on The Past, Present & Future of DIABLO
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2018, 03:16:40 PM »
[Place-holder].

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 22, 2018, 05:58:36 PM »
Just a quick read through of that list makes it seem like the whole IP is a dumpster fire right now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, November 25, 2018, 08:50:22 AM »
Pretty much, yep.

I don't think Blizzard and Diablo have been the same since probably D2:LOD and WOW's success. So many changes, since this.

D3 went online-only & has been mainstreamed big time on PC (lost complexities in upgrades for skills & numbered stats at level-up); D3 finally got its crap together w/ RoS gameplay & content-wise. Then, Acti cancelled D3 expansion #2, when team was happy with what they did w/ RoS and wanted to expand it more - which upset the team.

Then seems like D4 has been all over the place, with Hades (Dark Souls style game) which got cancelled; and now they are working on Fenris (sounds like it's gonna be D4, but w/ some WoW & Destiny instances and social elements like Strikes/Raids).

What a mess.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 09:25:58 PM »
It's always kind of been a mess. But yeah, that doesn't bode well. I had no idea Mike left. That to me, along with news of money issues and Activision getting more involved, sound like a death knell to me. I mean Blizzard will undoubtedly still exist and put out at least some decent stuff for years to come, but Bliz as we know it may be over.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, November 30, 2018, 07:01:52 AM »
It's always kind of been a mess. But yeah, that doesn't bode well. I had no idea Mike left. That to me, along with news of money issues and Activision getting more involved, sound like a death knell to me. I mean Blizzard will undoubtedly still exist and put out at least some decent stuff for years to come, but Bliz as we know it may be over.

I think this has all been a mess since somewhere after D2 and around WOW's successful.

Blizzard wanted D3 to be MMO, after WOW's insane success - Old D3 got cancelled; many of the core from Blizz North left; and then the game got restarted into the D3 that got released.

Seems like we're again in that damn situation, as Old D4 got cancelled (code-named Hades - that Dark Souls style Diablo game); and now the main team's working on the current version of D4 (code-named Fenris).

Yeah, what a crap-show, since Blizz got involved.