Author Topic: Bradley Manning  (Read 6468 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Bradley Manning
« on: Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 10:11:21 PM »
So he gets 35 years. Thoughts?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Bradley Manning
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »
He leaked 700,000 sensitive files during wartime, compromising diplomacy and the military.  Let's see.  525600/700,000 = 0.75 minutes per file per year . . . *35

26.28 minutes of prison time per file leaked.  Such a bargain.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 11:38:45 PM »
Hmm, expose criminal activity get 35 years of jail time? Shit deal.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Bradley Manning
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, August 22, 2013, 10:55:50 AM »
I think there's a bit of a misconception out there on what Manning did: he indiscriminately released thousands of classified files without knowing what was on them.  Anything he exposed was by accident.

And I also don't really get the claims of exposing war crimes. The Collateral Murder video is usually what this refers to, but the incident was already known before Manning released anything.

Honestly I agree with Cobra and think he got a deal....especially when tried under military law.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, August 22, 2013, 03:28:53 PM »
I know what he did is highly controversial, especially when paired up against Snowden, but 35 years is a bit much when you consider that murderers, rapists, paedophiles, and worse get lower sentences. I mean, how bad is it really? High treason? Information and exposure can be managed. It just doesn't feel like the punishment fits the crime.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Bradley Manning
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, August 22, 2013, 03:46:57 PM »
I don't think the highly controversial nature of what he did is the issue as much as the highly illegal nature.

As for the comparison to murderers: you have to look at sentencing as independent events or you'll lose your mind in this world.   

But the fact is that jail time is a deterrent just as much as it is a punishment in this case and a strong message should probably be sent out to other intelligence officers who are having a bad day.

Does it suck for the guy? Sure, but he put himself in that position and the ten years of actual time served isn't going to be too bad.   Cold war era and he would have been at the end of a rope by now.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 23, 2013, 04:43:25 AM »
True enough. It's a messy situation and it's got too many blurred lines.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re:
« Reply #7 on: Friday, August 23, 2013, 04:53:44 AM »
Oh man now that stupid Robin Thicke song is stuck in my head. On the positive side, so is the explicit video.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Friday, August 23, 2013, 05:34:40 AM »
Oh man now that stupid Robin Thicke song is stuck in my head. On the positive side, so is the explicit video.
Haha, my sincere apologies