Author Topic: My adventures in Art Academy  (Read 8187 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
My adventures in Art Academy
« on: Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 04:46:55 PM »
Art Academy is a DS/3DS art learning and digital sketchpad. There are plenty of art programs out there but few that I know of that also include lessons to learn from. I know there are books that already cover that kind of stuff but its nice to have everything right in front of you.

Anyway, the DS version was cool but a little hard to use since I had a DSLite. I recently bought a 3DS XL and decided to pick up the 3DS version. The larger screens make it much nicer to use, they have more lessons and even DLC lessons if you want to go even further. The program simulates real media so you get some nice effects by mixing paint and such.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. So I'm making this thread to show off my crappy drawings! So far I've just been following the intro lessons and haven't gone and done anything unique, but they are all still 100% drawn by me. The game doesn't fudge things or let you trace. You can see either a 3D photo of the thing you're drawing, or switch to the built in demonstration of the drawing steps. But that's always on the top screen so at best you can mimic it manually but not copy it directly.

The first lesson was a cherry

Next was a tulip

Today I did a lesson and then its mini lesson, both based on drawing with pencil. Main lesson was a tree.

Mini lesson doesn't go step by step, but just gives you a quick overview and then lets you run at it. Mushrooms!

More to come.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: My adventures in Art Academy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 04:52:06 PM »
Huh, pretty cool! I'd love to try something like that.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
Not bad!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 10:30:08 PM »

Turns out using the low res camera of the 3DS to take an off-screen photo of a low res image of the president making a funny face is not a particularly good subject for someone not good at drawing people. Also drawing on dark paper its hard to tell how light or dark something is going to look. Oh well, made a glorious mess of things.

Another lesson, another not all that terrible painting!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 07, 2014, 10:34:49 PM »
Your best yet!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 08, 2014, 09:55:24 PM »
Windmill pencil drawing. Doing the hatching would probably be easier with real pencil since its hard to make them nice and straight on the slippery touchscreen.

Field in pastels. I goofed on the perspective of the tracks but it still went pretty ok. I think I'm not to big on this style so wasn't totally into it. Which I guess is kind of a cool part of the program, you get to try lots of things and can figure out what suits you.

Koi fish painting. I like painting. This particular lesson kinda flexes the programs paint simulation a bit for you. You get to mix custom colors and can dilute it to make washes and such. Pretty cool.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, January 09, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »
Pretty cool stuff!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, January 12, 2014, 11:28:58 PM »
I am quite impressed. The Obama one made me laugh.