Author Topic: The Lego Movie  (Read 6038 times)

Offline PyroMenace

The Lego Movie
« on: Friday, February 07, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »
Haven't seen a movie in a while? It's time. Drop what you're doing and see The Lego Movie, it's one of the most amazing pieces of film I've ever witnessed. Seriously though, go see it, there's just so many great moments and the animation is just something to witness on the big screen. It's just hilarious and awesome in so many ways.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re:
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, February 09, 2014, 08:01:44 PM »
Is it good? It looks really bad in the trailers.

Offline PyroMenace

Re:
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, February 09, 2014, 10:22:06 PM »

Haven't seen a movie in a while? It's time. Drop what you're doing and see The Lego Movie, it's one of the most amazing pieces of film I've ever witnessed. Seriously though, go see it, there's just so many great moments and the animation is just something to witness on the big screen. It's just hilarious and awesome in so many ways.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: The Lego Movie
« Reply #4 on: Monday, February 10, 2014, 08:15:27 AM »
haha Pyro.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
Re:
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 11:05:09 AM »

Ditto.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, June 28, 2014, 10:12:30 PM »
I just finished watching it and I think it was awesome. It was clever, but what struck me most was how honest it was. As someone who grew up with Legos as my primary toy it felt like what my vision of a Lego world could be as opposed to some corporate/business/company quick buck vision. Instead of feeling like an ad it was like an actual celebration of the toy and what it represented for me. I'm sort of amazed at that the movie was even allowed to be made at all or certain things were allowed. Everything showed a level of understanding of what could make a movie about toys special that you just don't expect from either Hollywood or a bunch of people in control of the various properties in the movie (Legos themselves and a heathly handful of licensed characters).

Beyond that, the movie looked great. There was also a level of care and love in there that you just didn't expect. It seems like there were great pains to make everything out of levels and while it's just CG in the end everything looks like really good stop motion. Hell, I even noticed finger prints on individual pieces and characters like someone was actually handling them. There's some real special stuff in there.

So yeah, I think the movie could surprise most people. I think it's genuinely good and something pretty special.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, June 29, 2014, 08:30:24 AM »
I was surprised by how much went into it myself, and how true it tried to stay to the real toys.  If anything, it went too far into the jittery stop motion, to simulate actual plastic pieces being manipulated a frame at a time.  I understand the sentiment, but the result is hard on the eyes over the full-feature length.  Some of it also had this Robot Chicken feel that's better suited to short skits than a whole movie.  Lego has also changed quite a bit since I was engrossed with the pieces as a kid.  Then, they were strictly building blocks, where the most complex piece was a car tire attached to a block through an axle.  So the movie was a bit of an education about the fundamental shift to complex things which limit the builder's imagination.  I was glad I watched it, even if I wasn't positive about it throughout.