Author Topic: True Detective  (Read 88090 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re:
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 03:15:59 PM »
Just finished watching S2E2.
(click to show/hide)

In any case, I'm all in on this season.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: True Detective
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 05:51:31 AM »
Well, at least they pulled their George RR Martin way sooner than "Red Wedding".  :)  Makes it easier to swallow.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 04:23:39 PM »
(click to show/hide)
 :D
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 04:46:41 PM by Cobra951 »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 08:00:17 PM »
True Detective - Season 2

NOTE -> SPOILERS Galore in the links below:

TVLine.com
TVLine - Recap of Season 2 Episode 8.

BuzzFeed.
Buzzfeed -> Recap on Season 2 up to Episode 7.

Polygon's Analysis, Watch-through, Overviews, Etc:
Season 2 - Episode 1
Season 2 - Episodes 2 + 3.
Season 2 - Episode 4.
Season 2 - Episode 5.
Season 2 - Episode 6
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 10:25:28 PM by MysterD »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 12:52:35 AM »
True Detective - Season 2

NOTE -> SPOILERS Galore in the links below:

Polygon's Analysis, Watch-through, Overviews, Etc:
Season 2 - Episode 1
Season 2 - Episodes 2 + 3.

All of a sudden I don't want to watch this show anymore.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 06:22:10 AM »
(click to show/hide)
 :D
(click to show/hide)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 07:38:12 AM »
(click to show/hide)
 Not disagreeing, though.  That would have been possible.  
(click to show/hide)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 09:12:24 AM »
(click to show/hide)
 Not disagreeing, though.  That would have been possible.  
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #48 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 06:23:37 AM »
All of a sudden I don't want to watch this show anymore.

That's the thing w/ this show - there's just so much going on here. You either want to hack it and stick with it...or not.

I don't know what it is about TD S2 here, but I still want to keep watching - and this isn't anywhere as great as Season 1. Season 1 was close to perfection - new TV show freshness, the casting, the writing, the dialogue, direction, & everything else you can think of. S2, on the other hand - eh, not so much. Like Batman: AK (game) - it just feels like TD S2 is trying to go for, aim, + do so much on an epic-level, it just all ain't sticking together for so many reasons that...I don't even know where to begin here.

I think it could be b/c in S2: there's so many characters + so much going on, I still have to see where the hell all of these characters, stories + threads go...even despite some dialogue & characters feeling off to me. Namely, a lot of the dialogue feels even forced and/or stilted - often to sum things up; spit philosophy; and other things that make me say, "Characters don't really talk like this to each other!" It sounds more like the writer talking (Nic P.) and less of what the actual characters would say to another. Plus, too many characters feel like Rusty Cohle (Matthew M. from S1) and don't need to be - especially since many are not portrayed as  bat-crap crazy; aren't in the Bayou (which was just an odd and interesting setting, so it fit for Rusty's characters); + b/c he don't even have a foil to his character to balance the madness out (which Woody Harrelson was in S1).

Regardless, I think S2E5 last night was one of the better episodes this season. It feels like this show is getting better with each episode (I think S2E1 was the real low-point of the season) - but it just ain't ever going to be on S1's near-perfection level of execution.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #49 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 12:28:29 PM »
Great post, D. I really like the point you make about Rust having a foil. I'm not sure I completely agree with it, though. Sure, Marty was a little more sane and served as something of a counterweight but he had plenty of demons of his own.

I do agree with your overall assessment. Everyone is caught up with saying TDS2 isn't as good as TDS1. Well... what is? Honestly, TDS1 is one of the best shows I've ever seen grace television if not the very best. You can't hit grand slams every at bat.  Taken by itself, TDS2 is a pretty good show and a worthwhile watch.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #50 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 12:57:11 PM »
I still have my gripes about the show (like having too many characters who have "issues") but overall I'm starting to get into it. Things are starting to make sense. :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 06:17:16 PM »
Great post, D. I really like the point you make about Rust having a foil. I'm not sure I completely agree with it, though. Sure, Marty was a little more sane and served as something of a counterweight but he had plenty of demons of his own.
Well, you do make a good point - Woody's character (Martin) was not 100% foil, since he did have his own problems + demons. But, still - most of the time, namely when Rusty + Marty were together - they were foils to each other. Martin was often way more logical + sane, when compared to Rusty - especially when they were in the same scene.

I do agree with your overall assessment. Everyone is caught up with saying TDS2 isn't as good as TDS1. Well... what is? Honestly, TDS1 is one of the best shows I've ever seen grace television if not the very best. You can't hit grand slams every at bat.  Taken by itself, TDS2 is a pretty good show and a worthwhile watch.

That's the thing - everybody sees something close to perfect and loves it; and then when the next project comes out from the same person comes & tries a lot of different things, everybody seems to shit on it completely. This has happened on so many things - movies, games, TV shows, etc - I don't know where to begins. Look at Dragon Age: Origins to DA2; True Detective Season 1 to Season 2; Rocksteady's Batman trilogy with Batman: Arkham City to Arkham Knight; Kanye's Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy to Yeezus; Nas from Illmatic to It Was Written. Many of these things did something way different from their previous entry - and most of those were overly + heavily criticized in their sequels by fans. Fans, more or less, wanted more of the same - and instead, they got something else entirely and don't know what the hell to make of it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, July 21, 2015, 06:21:46 PM »
I'm up to date on this show now.  Not bad.  My biggest problem is trying to keep tabs on what the hell is going on with everybody.  The Vince Vaughn character in particular is confusing.  Too many open threads.  Perhaps it's my own imperfect attention.  We'll see where it goes from here.  I did like E5, mostly because it finally seems to be
(click to show/hide)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #53 on: Monday, August 03, 2015, 09:10:19 AM »
I too am having trouble sometimes understanding all of the plot threads, especially with Vince Vaughn, but I am really enjoying the show.  S2E6 was fantastic!

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 12:28:06 AM »
I too am having trouble sometimes understanding all of the plot threads, especially with Vince Vaughn, but I am really enjoying the show.  S2E6 was fantastic!

Episode 7 is pretty good too. I feel like a lot of the early episodes were establishing stuff, and shit is about to go down now, and it will continue through the end of the season.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 04:59:38 AM »
Wait, the last one is E7?  I thought it was E6.  I didn't realize the season was just about to end already.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 05:10:12 AM »
Wait, the last one is E7?  I thought it was E6.  I didn't realize the season was just about to end already.

Yeah the one from 2 days ago (the 2nd) was E7.

Wait, IMDB only lists 8 episodes. And season 1 only had 8 episodes. Shit, there's only one episode left!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 09:36:51 AM »
Shit, there's only one episode left!
And it's going to be around 90 minutes, as well.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 10:57:53 AM »
And then
(click to show/hide)

I'm going to have to rewatch the season in one or two sittings after it's over.  I have such a hard time following everything that's going on.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 03:16:20 AM »
So I'm lame, whatever, but while watching episode 7 I paused it when
(click to show/hide)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 07:12:08 AM »
Hahaha!  Freeze frames are the undoing of many a face and plot device.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 02:29:50 PM »
So I'm lame, whatever, but while watching episode 7 I paused it when
(click to show/hide)

Hahaha!  Freeze frames are the undoing of many a face and plot device.

Speculating here for Season Finale.

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 02:42:50 PM »
And then
(click to show/hide)

I'm going to have to rewatch the season in one or two sittings after it's over.  I have such a hard time following everything that's going on.

This could help you a bit:

SPOILERS GALORE in link below.
Buzzfeed -> Recap on Season 2 up to Episode 7.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 07:04:39 PM »
Speculating here for Season Finale.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, August 09, 2015, 07:36:01 PM »
Well, Season 2's Finale was all over the place.

This certainly had no business being 90 minutes.
I was really hoping this was going to deliver, after the season really turning the tide by Episode 4....and it fell apart by bad pacing, some non-sense, & some predictable things happening.

Finale could've been better. Way better.

« Last Edit: Sunday, August 09, 2015, 07:57:31 PM by MysterD »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: Monday, August 10, 2015, 12:36:43 AM »
Well, Season 2's Finale was all over the place.

This certainly had no business being 90 minutes.
I was really hoping this was going to deliver, after the season really turning the tide by Episode 4....and it fell apart by bad pacing, some non-sense, & some predictable things happening.

Finale could've been better. Way better.

One problem was it had multiple major events that could have each worked at the end of an episode (assuming they had enough interesting stuff to pad out that many more episodes). Also (finale spoilers)
(click to show/hide)

Season 1 spoilers:
(click to show/hide)

Oh, and the list from before, lol.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #66 on: Monday, August 10, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »
It had a few good scenes, from a cinematography stand point. But overall I agree with W7RE that it was all over the place. And some of the  dialogue... oh boy...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: Monday, August 10, 2015, 03:19:40 PM »

Season 1 spoilers:
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #68 on: Monday, August 10, 2015, 04:27:54 PM »
One problem was it had multiple major events that could have each worked at the end of an episode (assuming they had enough interesting stuff to pad out that many more episodes). Also (finale spoilers)
(click to show/hide)

Season 1 spoilers:
(click to show/hide)

I had no real problem in both Seasons 1 + 2 with things being constantly noir + pessimistic. I loved Season 1 period.

My problem was the pacing in Season 2 Finale was not good. While a few things did happen, a lot of them felt predictable....
(click to show/hide)

But, this could've been a good episode, even w/ some its predictability, if it was say 45-60 min instead. A lot of it felt like it took too long to just go anywhere. With so many pieces and on-going stuff, this could've been paced better + much more interesting. Instead, it was just "okay" at 90 mins.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: Monday, August 10, 2015, 04:50:52 PM »
That was awful.  You know how I said I wanted to rewatch this season to make more sense out of it?  Forget it.  Not happening now.  I will now delete all 8 episodes.  The series is back to Square 1 with me.  This season cancels out last one.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 03:36:45 PM »
Hahaha.  I still really liked the second season.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 03:56:51 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 04:12:19 PM »
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - I can see why you (or anyone else) wouldn't like it and I'm not saying you're wrong for that,  I'm just saying I still enjoyed the ride even though it didn't end up where I wanted it to.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 09:32:51 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 05:15:37 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
I think some of the casting, writing, and whatnot was just all over the place. Certainly, somebody should've stepped in and hit the edit button. So much stuff, could've either been thrown out or expanded upon much more.
Pretty much - my feelings are similar to yours. Namely, the writing + pacing was all over the place. I still think this could've been told in 3 to 6 episodes, not 8.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #75 on: Thursday, August 13, 2015, 04:26:59 PM »
The more I think about it the more I realize that this season was simply not a "true detective". It just lacked many of the elements of a detective genre.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #76 on: Thursday, August 13, 2015, 05:36:01 PM »
The more I think about it the more I realize that this season was simply not a "true detective". It just lacked many of the elements of a detective genre.

Season 1
(click to show/hide)

Season 2
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 29, 2015, 11:20:59 AM by MysterD »

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #77 on: Saturday, August 15, 2015, 03:00:48 AM »
Me and the Mrs were completely bored through almost all of it, but were waiting for something to happen to make us care about the characters or plot, and validate our investment of time. We got half way into episode 5 and realised that we frankly didn't give a shit what happened anymore and turned it off. Such an insult to season 1.

Also, Vince Vaughn is fucking terrible. Firstly as an actor. Secondly as a human being for inflicting his "acting" on the rest of us.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: Saturday, August 15, 2015, 07:38:10 AM »
I dislike Vince Vaughn's onscreen persona in just about everything he's done.  He comes across as the pushiest asshole in creation, even in light comedies.

An insult to Season 1--yes, that's the perfect way to put it.  It's also an insult to the better actors in the production.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #79 on: Saturday, August 15, 2015, 03:15:12 PM »
I dislike Vince Vaughn's onscreen persona in just about everything he's done.  He comes across as the pushiest asshole in creation, even in light comedies.

An insult to Season 1--yes, that's the perfect way to put it.  It's also an insult to the better actors in the production.

I think the biggest problem w/ Vince Vaughn and his wife was this story got WAY TOO much time; had some of the worst dialogue in this series; and felt often liked it was way miscast-ed.

(click to show/hide)