Author Topic: True Detective  (Read 88002 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
True Detective
« on: Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 08:51:42 PM »
Anyone watching True Detective?  I've been blown away by it, even more than when I saw the Battlestar Gallactica mini series for the first time.  That is saying something!  I'm hopelessly hooked.  The production values are top-notch and there is a triple-threat in the screenwriting, direction, and acting.

If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and start getting caught up now.  There have only been five episodes so far so it's not too late.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: True Detective
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 09:41:40 PM »
I'm actually going to start watching it soon, looking at the trailers and hearing good things its got me really curious.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 08:44:48 AM »
I haven't seen shit on it except for one article that extensively detailed the influence of Robert W. Chambers and The King in Yellow on the show, so I'm already on board. I'll definitely try to watch it at some point when it hits Netflix or something.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 09:06:42 AM »
I haven't seen shit on it except for one article that extensively detailed the influence of Robert W. Chambers and The King in Yellow on the show, so I'm already on board. I'll definitely try to watch it at some point when it hits Netflix or something.
It's a HBO show.  Do any of those end up on Netflix?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 12:15:27 PM »
I haven't the slightest, I don't really watch TV. Hence the "or something". We don't even have TV in the house, let alone HBO.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 01:56:24 PM »
Ah.  I don't think HBO shows are available on Netflix, but I haven't used Netflix in a long time so I'm not sure.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 03:42:17 PM »
If it turns out as good as everybody's been saying, I'll probably snag the DVDs later on down the line if no other option presents itself.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 09:11:21 PM »
Caught up to episode 5. Man this is really fucking good.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 02:37:55 AM »
Yup, it's amazyballs!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 08:50:32 PM »
Not sure how I feel about tonight's episode.  I definitely liked the last one more.  This one seemed to unnecessarily use the whole hour to provide laser focus on a character flaw.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, February 23, 2014, 09:04:09 PM »
No doubt because the last couple of episodes had a lot of action. :)

(click to show/hide)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #11 on: Monday, February 24, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »
I've been thinking about the episode more, and it seemed to point out two things to me. 
(click to show/hide)

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #12 on: Monday, February 24, 2014, 02:22:11 PM »
The Atlantic has a review of the episode and I agree with a lot of the points.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Friday, March 14, 2014, 07:20:02 AM »
If this is where TV is headed, sign me up.  I doubt it's more than a happy fluke, though.  Gripping story and unbelievable performances from the leads.  I love the idea of a different miniseries per season, each with its own development and conclusion.  No cliffhanger needed.  After that stellar first season, an audience for whatever comes next is guaranteed.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #14 on: Friday, March 14, 2014, 07:36:34 AM »
Yea I finished it off the other night, it's pretty fantastic. Some of the best television I've seen in a long time. There's some minor gripes with the end, but whatever, it was nothing compared to everything else it brought to the table. Really can't wait enough for the next season.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Monday, March 17, 2014, 05:26:58 AM »
I preferred the first four episodes over the last four.  In particular, episode six ("Haunted Houses") seemed like a waste of precious time in just an eight-episode series.  That said, taken as a whole, the series was truly great.  Amazing job by Woody Harrelson and Matthew Matthew McConaughey.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #16 on: Monday, March 17, 2014, 12:31:43 PM »
I preferred the first four episodes over the last four.  In particular, episode six ("Haunted Houses") seemed like a waste of precious time in just an eight-episode series.  That said, taken as a whole, the series was truly great.  Amazing job by Woody Harrelson and Matthew Matthew McConaughey.

I agree. I liked the series overall, but felt like it lost traction in the latter episodes, like it didn't know where to go after the action in the middle or how far to push the overall arch. The characters were amazing, but the ending felt too easy and "nice" for my taste.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Monday, March 17, 2014, 04:44:24 PM »
I understand wanting a more dramatic climax, more surprises.  I don't understand
(click to show/hide)

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #18 on: Monday, March 17, 2014, 05:20:34 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2014, 08:49:33 AM »
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 18, 2014, 01:29:20 PM by Xessive »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2014, 11:49:27 AM »
Hahaha!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2014, 01:30:09 PM »
I love the show's intro sequence ;D

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2014, 05:56:34 PM »
Haha! Awesome!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2014, 07:07:48 PM »
I like the intro too, and that's all I was expecting, since the video is so short.  That got me smiling.  Then . . . I lost it.  Good thing I wasn't drinking anything.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2014, 07:48:04 PM »
Yeah, I really like this series.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, March 20, 2014, 12:54:52 PM »
However, in a sudden twist of events, it was confirmed that the two lead stars are no longer going to be back for the second season.

Nope. This was on Wikipedia even before the series started: "The series was pitched as an anthology format, with each season featuring a different cast of characters and story"

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, March 20, 2014, 01:10:33 PM »
I pretty much figured they wouldn't be able to hold on to actors of this caliber for a long-running series.  I had it pegged in my mind as a one-season miniseries because of Harrelson and McConaughey.  Then I read about the "anthology" angle, and the whole thing seemed even more brilliant (assuming future seasons hold up the standard).  Great actors who won't be pigeonholed into long TV roles come in and do their magic for a season.  Wow.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 09:29:05 PM »
Watched the first three episodes on a plane the other day and just finished the rest up now.  Great series.

(click to show/hide)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #29 on: Monday, June 22, 2015, 12:37:24 PM »
Season 2 just started and the general opinion is that it's off to a bad start. Though I'm having a hard time reading people's opinions since it feels like most of these people backlashed hard after season 1 and are prematurely judging it but we'll see in the next couple weeks.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #30 on: Monday, June 22, 2015, 01:35:47 PM »
I haven't had the opportunity to watch it.  If true, that's a shame because the first half of season 1 was incredible and it really hit the ground running.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #31 on: Monday, June 22, 2015, 04:19:54 PM »
The trailers seem like they've got the same tone down, and the roster of actors is pretty solid. I'm looking forward to it. I'm not going to judge on the start or even a couple episodes, but the season as a whole, and that works fine for me because I don't want TV. If it's halfway decent, I'll buy the Bluray set, like I did with the first season.

I do hope they realize what made the first season so compelling and play more with that stuff. Maybe even take it to some weirder places. The first felt like a perfect introduction to a style and set of themes (and I really didn't feel like it fell off at any point, though the ending could have used a hint more lingering mystery or darkness to tantalize for the next season ... but I have no real complaints), and if they use subsequent seasons to work that stuff in, take it deeper, without going too far or too fast, I think they'd have a solid show that could easily last several more seasons without slowing down. It's got so much potential ... I hope they don't waste it by making it too safe, or filling it with crap we've seen enough of already. If they start tying some things together between seasons, that'll work for me too.

I hold out hope, slow start or not. I have faith in the writers.

I also don't get why people would suggest reading the King in Yellow in response to criticism. I've owned the book for some time and read it both before and after the show, and while I think it's cool that there's some influence, I don't really think there's all that much. Unless there's stuff I was missing, which I guess is possible. But if it's that thin, who cares? The Ligotti influence was obviously far more important, at least to Rust's arc.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: Monday, June 22, 2015, 10:05:50 PM »
I accidentally came across some criticism before watching the premier of the second season and think it's a bit off base.  The first episode felt like the start of a story - it introduced a bunch of characters, hints at their pasts, and produced a mystery.  It wasn't quite as compelling as the first of the initial season but there are four main characters and I think that probably means there's a little bit more setting up that needs to be done.   

It was just different, that's all.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2015, 12:25:11 AM »
That's how I read a lot of the criticism as well. Just jumping to conclusions that the whole season is just going to be bad.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re:
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2015, 03:46:22 AM »
I watched it last night. Perhaps it didn't start as strong as S1E1, but it still shows promise and I'll be tuning in again.

Heck, I didn't even like the first three episodes of The Leftovers but I'm glad I stuck that show out because it turned out great.  True Detective is a different beast, but there is no reason to abandon hope now.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2015, 02:14:58 PM »
Yea it definitely didn't grab me. One of the complaints I saw was that it had the brooding sense of the first season with no substance. I disagree with that, there's substance here its just that brooding theme feels a bit forced at times, making parts of it a little over dramatic.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2015, 02:59:52 PM »
Personally, S1 was some of the greatest television I've ever seen.  S2 has a lot to live up to.  Chances are, it won't.  That's okay though, because if it even comes close it will still be great.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #37 on: Monday, June 29, 2015, 01:47:32 PM »
S2 hasn't grabbed my attention yet as much as S1, maybe because there are too many key characters involved and it will take a bit of time for all of them to develop. EP2 was better, but still a bit of a mess.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: Monday, June 29, 2015, 10:02:59 PM »
Well, one key character sure didn't get a lot of development time.

And one thing I thought I wouldn't live to see is a thoroughly unattractive Rachel McAdams.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #39 on: Monday, June 29, 2015, 11:18:01 PM »
(click to show/hide)