Author Topic: Dust: An Elysian Tail  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Dust: An Elysian Tail
« on: Friday, May 09, 2014, 12:59:06 PM »
I'm surprised this game never got its own thread since its release nearly 2 years ago.  I would have missed it too, if it wasn't being given away for free on XBL until mid-May.  It's one of the best indie platformers yet.  Very Metroidvania-ish.  What's most remarkable about it is that it's the labor of mostly one guy.  Only when he got the attention and patronage of Microsoft did he get the budget and the inclination to hire a music composer, a story guy and some voice actors.  The author's own postmortem story is a good, informative read.

I'm almost done with it now, and I have to say I've really enjoyed the experience.  Remarkable work from one obsessed workaholic.  You'd think it came from the 2D Ubisoft team.

It's available on Steam too (though not for free, I don't think).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Dust: An Elysian Tail
« Reply #1 on: Friday, May 09, 2014, 03:12:39 PM »
I almost picked up a bundle it was in because it looked really good. But then I remembered that I'd probably never play it and didn't. But it definitely looked cool.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, May 10, 2014, 11:12:33 AM »
Its a cool game. And good timing, you can get the PC version for $2.99 on the Humble Store today.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, April 20, 2016, 11:15:12 PM »
So, I'm pretty sure I bought this for $3 or something in a Steam sale and I just tried it out.  I want to like it but just can't get past the furry characters.  I don't know what it is - anthropomorphic characters don't bother me in anything else, but these really look like furry fan art to me or something and it really turns me off of the game. 

I'd like to stick it out but I don't know....

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, April 21, 2016, 08:24:59 AM »
Yeah, can't do it.  I don't know what it is - doesn't bother me with, say Starfox or Sly Cooper but I can't handle this at all. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 21, 2016, 08:28:03 AM »
That's the one thing that kind of turned me off to it as well. I really don't care for the whole anthropomorphized animal thing. I still kinda wanted to play this, though.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Friday, April 22, 2016, 12:36:33 PM »
Yeah, I don't know what it is.  Doesn't bother me in anything else at all except for this.

Gave up on it.