Author Topic: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbone exclusive  (Read 9472 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbone exclusive
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, March 12, 2017, 08:46:27 AM »
This is the 2nd set of drivers I download from Nvidia, and I haven't installed either one of them.  I'm very leery of fixing things that aren't broken.  So yeah, I'm with you on that.  Whatever came with Windows 10 Anniversary update is what I'm using, and so far it's peachy. 

Sorry you're having so much trouble.  The release notes (pdf) have a section on dealing with driver uninstall, and install.  I don't understand why there has to be any user effort beyond running an update installer, but whatever.  Clearly, it's an issue for somebody in the mix, whether deservedly so or not.

Grabbed the MSI Afterburner.  Thanks for the link. I don't have time to futz with it now.  Will do later.

The problem on a normal NVidia uninstall is even if you uninstall every NVidia package via Windows' Add/Remove Programs, it actually doesn't uninstall EVERYTHING that is NVidia related.
You have to use DDU to get mostly almost everything out; and then possibly screw w/ the Registry (RegEdit) to get every single little thing out.

Not getting everything out, that can cause issues when reinstalling new drivers. That can cause the fail when installing new drivers. Been through this numerous times, since last August or so - when I've had moments where I'll be adventurous and see if I can get them in.
It sucks; haven't succeeded yet.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, March 12, 2017, 09:35:27 AM »
There's no excuse for that, at all.  What can possibly be so hard about a cumulative update?  Games and even Windows do it all the time, and they don't need to start from scratch when updating.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, March 12, 2017, 11:46:53 AM »
Before GF Experience 3.0, I never had these driver-update issues.
Never had issues w/ Version 2.x.

More or less, NVidia is also trying to force updating via their GF Experience program, as well.

Some games like BF1 try to force you to have newest drivers to even boot-up or you get error message - even though there is a work-around.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, March 12, 2017, 08:11:09 PM »
I installed Afterburner and the Riva Tuner server.  I played with it for a while, and it seemed to be doing OK.  But then I noticed that my card's fan speed was never rising with temperature.  It got up into the 60s C while playing RotTR, with no reaction from the fan (which stayed at the 40% minimum).  Firing up Zotac Firestorm (which looks like a simplified reskin of Afterburner), I immediately saw (and heard) the fan speed jump up on the AB graphs.  The custom fan curve I set in AB is nowhere in evidence, no matter what I do.  (Only the FS custom curve works.)  To make matters worse, screen captures of the game with AB produce only a black rectangle.  So this is a complete bust so far.  Well, maybe not complete.  The graphing in AB is terrific, with like a half-hour of stats on all the components in the system.  I'll keep using it for that, since it's immensely better at it than FS.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, March 12, 2017, 08:39:53 PM »
I use Steam for in-game screen captures. Never tried AB for that.

Can you use both AB + FS together? Do they get along when both are ran simultaneously?

EDIT:
Looks like fans might not spin w/ AB, unless you set the profile yourself for it or unless the card's under really heavy load; and fans aren't as loud on the 1060:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3231828/gtx-1060-fans-spinning-fans-work-msi-afterburner.html

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Monday, March 13, 2017, 05:35:53 AM »
No, that's not the issue.  I hear the fan noise go up and down in pitch corresponding to the graphs (RPM and %).  The default minimum speed is 40%, which is pretty quiet, and gets buried in the noise from the case fans.  But when it increases, it gets obvious.  By default ("auto" mode), the fan speed doesn't go up unless the temperature gets fairly toasty.  I didn't like that, so I used Firestorm to use a profile that steps up the speed in increments of 10% every 10 degrees.  That works fine, as long as Firestorm is active, which I don't always bother with unless I'm gaming.  With me so far?

When I installed Afterburner, I was not running Firestorm.  I figured out how to turn on user fan control in AB, and created a smooth curve similar in intended effect to the stair-stepped FS profile.  After running the game for testing, the result was my last post: no fan-speed effect from AB.  The GPU temp was still over 50 degrees, so I launched FS, and voila: the fan speed went up to 50%, visibly (on the AB graphs) and audibly (in pitch).

Yeah, these 2 programs seem to get along fine if I run them together.  It wasn't my intention to do that.  I wanted AB to replace FS entirely.  But it looks like that's not happening, at least not until I figure out why the 1060 is ignoring AB's attempts to control it.  Hence: FS to control, AB to monitor.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #46 on: Monday, March 13, 2017, 02:53:05 PM »
I think you can also control fan speeds in programs such as CPU-Z for processors and GPU-Z for graphics cards.
I used to use those for monitoring heat levels when running idle - i.e. when not running games.

Can you control fan-speeds for your GPU maybe within in NVidia Control Panel?
Can you control fan-speeds with the (unofficial) NVidia Inspector app?

EDIT:
By default, looks like fans on 1060 cards aren't supposed spin until 60 degrees Celsius:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3231828/gtx-1060-fans-spinning-fans-work-msi-afterburner.html

Does maybe FireStorm have its own settings for when it hits 50 degrees Celsius, for its fans to spin up?

« Last Edit: Monday, March 13, 2017, 03:14:26 PM by MysterD »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: Monday, March 13, 2017, 05:47:54 PM »
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough:

- FireStorm, the official Zotac control app, controls my Zotac 1060 just fine.  That includes fan speed, voltage, memory clock, OC, etc.  I don't need to look at other apps.  I was hoping AfterBurner could take the place of FireStorm, since it does a lot more; but unfortunately, it can't persuade my 1060 to do what it says.

- Yes, I know that by default, the temperature of the 1060 is allowed to rise quite a bit before the fan speed gets a bump from minimum.  I didn't like that, so I used FireStorm to create an advanced profile that increases fan speed in even steps with temperature above 40 degrees:  50% speed from 41-50 degrees C, 60% speed from 51-60 C, etc, up to 100% speed from 91 C and up.

I have no problems with my CPU.  48 degrees is as hot as any of the cores have ever gotten (so I don't need to play with CPU fan speed).  I've used HWinfo64 and Core Temp to monitor that.  (AfterBurner works for that too, and I really like its graphing.)