Author Topic: New 3DS model sporting better hardware...  (Read 3346 times)

Offline PyroMenace

New 3DS model sporting better hardware...
« on: Friday, August 29, 2014, 06:55:51 AM »
Which means some games made for it won't be compatible with older 3DS's... like this port of Xenoblade Chronicles.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: New 3DS model sporting better hardware...
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 29, 2014, 07:42:46 AM »
Then I hope they change the name of the next 3DS in some way (Super 3DS?  3DS Next?).  Otherwise, they're setting a horrible precedent.  A console is supposed to be compatible with all releases for it through its entire life.  Incompatibility should only exist across generations, not hardware updates to the same generation.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 29, 2014, 08:15:55 AM »
I've been seeing comparisons to the Gameboy Color and the DSi, which I don't think hold up so well. GBC came out 8 years after the original GB so it was a decent upgrade, and the DSi exclusives were mainly limited to the digital shop that only the DSi could access. This new hardware revision feels different to me....probably because I bought my 3DS less than a year ago.

The only thing that might be the saving grace is the 3DS install base is pretty large and Nintendo just pushed the 2DS system to get a lot of people on board. I would hope developers would hesitant to just ignore all those people. EDIT: Shacknews is reporting that Nintendo announced holiday 2DS bundles. So I think "New 3DS" exclusive games will be kept to a minimum.

This is also where Nintendos handling of digital content rears its ugly head. I could sell my 3DS XL and put that money towards the new model....except I can't because I have to do a system transfer. So I'd have to buy the new one FIRST and then hope to sell my old one after I've made the transfer. sigh...

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want one, but I could barely justify buying the 3DS I have.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 29, 2014, 08:23:09 AM »
I was reading some of the comments, one of which said that the older PS3 models had issues with some PS3 games that were released later in the generation that the newer models could handle fine, but I don't recall any examples.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 29, 2014, 09:03:10 AM »
Interesting thought I had. The buttons are colored like the SNES. Could this mean SNES VC on 3DS? With the improved CPU it might be possible now.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 29, 2014, 08:50:51 PM »
I was reading some of the comments, one of which said that the older PS3 models had issues with some PS3 games that were released later in the generation that the newer models could handle fine, but I don't recall any examples.

That could be poor programming.  If devs use the proper call points, then hardware and firmware revisions will stay fully transparent.  But if they hack their way into undocumented points in the system code, the games may not work at all on future revisions of the system.  That's not the same as boosting the capabilities of the hardware without changing the name of the product.

I heard similar rumors about the Xbox 360, when it went from fat to slim.  I don't think they amounted to much, and I suspect it was mostly the fault of marginal old hardware not performing up to spec.  The slim systems do loaf quite a bit more.  They're throttled back to stay compatible, while working with much less power, on a much more compact fabrication process.  That's exactly the right way to upgrade hardware within a single console line.  Lower cost, lower power use, lower heat, same system specs.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 29, 2014, 10:03:20 PM »
This makes me angry. I'd love to play that and have no intention of going back to Wii systems. Fragmenting your user base like this is very stupid, and it really sort of makes me want to dump my 3DS and all the games I have for it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, August 30, 2014, 05:40:41 AM »
This reddit thread goes along with what I said, and has an expansive discussion (some of which is worthwhile).

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, August 30, 2014, 09:19:06 AM »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, August 30, 2014, 06:36:44 PM »
I saw this and want one, but do agree that it's a pretty bullshit move.   The DSI did have a few retail releases that weren't compatible with the original DS, but it's not really the best comparison and the only reason was the addition of the camera, which was a key game-play mechanic in those games.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 06:03:49 AM »
So are they adding "LL" to the name, or is that just for the top model (while the vanilla version still sports the faster CPU and has no name change)?  Changing the name is absolutely essential for it not to be a dick move and a lie.

Edit:  Hmm, according to some of what I've been reading, "LL" is just what the XL is called in Japan, which would mean no name change at all (i.e., dick move)?
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 06:37:35 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 12:21:15 PM »
Maybe they're just calling them the "new" Nintendo 3DS and the "new" Nintendo 3DS LL.

They might retain the same name but have varying model numbers, similar to how Sony did it with the PSP revisions e.g. first gen PSP have model numbers PSP-1000, second gen PSP have PSP-2000, etc. but at any storefront it's just called the "Sony PSP."

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 02:53:45 PM »
 "New" is part of the name. It is the "Nintendo New 3DS". That is the name at least in Japan, and note that it using the English word New, not the Japanese.

Don't know what they'd name it in the US. I saw it compared to if they named it Nintendo Nuevo 3DS. You wouldnt get confused asking for a new Nuevo 3DS.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 05:37:14 PM »
You want a used New DS, or a new old DS?  I can see the confusion brewing.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 05:59:43 PM »
At this point, Nintendo just doesnt care, they have complete confidence in their audience being savvy enough to figure it out. At least that's the only way I figure it, otherwise it just sounds like a really stupid move.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 09:07:26 PM »
At this point, Nintendo just doesnt care, they have complete confidence in their audience being savvy enough to figure it out. At least that's the only way I figure it, otherwise it just sounds like a really stupid move.

Their marketing department is retarded.  I have faith that we all understood what the WiiU was in comparison to the Wii, but apparently that was a major point of confusion for a lot of casual consumers.  This is about 100x worse.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 10:11:45 PM »
This is assuming it will have the same name here. But then I don't think their systems have had different regional names since the SNES/Super Famicom.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 11:13:25 PM »
Well, besides the DS/3DS XL vs LL. 

The other big news (I think, I can't really find verification on this) is that Nintendo is now selling Micro SD cards.  I think that they're encrypted or something, as there was a QA where they mentioned that only their brand and a certain Sandisk model will work now.   

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Monday, September 01, 2014, 08:10:04 AM »
Thats...odd.